• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Influencers have codes? Which ones?

Because so far I only see reviewers and people that got the game early, I have yet to see an influencers getting a code. Hell even Cooh Carnage, a streamer who's in the game bought himself the CE of the game from Best buy.

You answered your own question?

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
So it's less that they're sending influencers codes early and more that Best Buy has fucked up? How many of these are out there?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I hope one of them pops it onto a non pro/x console and talks about how well it runs.

I'd be fine if it looked and ran as well as Witcher 3 did.
Yeah I have some Xbox store credit I wouldn't mind using on this, but I have an Xbox One S, so while I'm expecting it to look/run like crap, I'd give it a go regardless.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Influencers have codes? Which ones?

Because so far I only see reviewers and people that got the game early, I have yet to see an influencers getting a code. Hell even Cooh Carnage, a streamer who's in the game bought himself the CE of the game from Best buy.

Cohh is a nice guy. I wouldn't trust his opinion on Cyberpunk if he was the only person reviewing it.

I know you aren't saying that, just saying. Dude is severely biased to anything CDPR.

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Expecting internet to broke if it gets low scores from big outlets. ( I don't think that will happen)

The Witcher 3's review embargo lifted a week early by the way.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
You answered your own question?

Did you read my post or not?

That user was claiming that "influencer have codes"
I pointed out an influencer who's in the game and he doesn't have a code (so far) and he even bought the game himself prior of getting the game from CDPR or whatever the PR agency is the one providing the codes.

Cohh is a nice guy. I wouldn't trust his opinion on Cyberpunk if he was the only person reviewing it.

I know you aren't saying that, just saying. Dude is severely biased to anything CDPR.

I never said i'm trusting him or not, if anything i trust no one and i judge the games by myself.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
As someone with anxiety issues and who's running a website that's getting a bit more traction than normal in my spare time, this news actually puts my mind at ease quite a bit. It's definitely not ideal, but... Yeah.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I don't see this game reviewing poorly like some, but the strategy is definitely different. Sony hasn't been sending out Demon's Souls branded chairs, jackets and statues for months to influencers ahead of release.
Yeah, but the game was supposed to launch earlier this year. That stuff was probably initially planned as post launch marketing. Rather than delay it and leave stuff sitting around the marketing team probably just shifted it to pre-release marketing.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mistake. I assumed given the likes of Alanah Pearce were doing impressions of the first 15 hours of the game before the Best Buy leak was even a thing that they must have had some sort of early access codes unrelated to that.

May 24, 2019
My mistake. I assumed given the likes of Alanah Pearce were doing impressions of the first 15 hours of the game before the Best Buy leak was even a thing that they must have had some sort of early access codes unrelated to that.

I'm sure she's playing it by the books since she's entering game dev.
I certainly wouldn't burn my industry bridges by doing anything fishy.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 3 had like 5 reviews at launch. Only PC Gamer gave it a low score back then.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Rockstar do the same stuff with GTA for example. Not necessarily a reflection of quality / inherent issues if any.

I won't be buying until thoroughly reviewed by press and peer.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

She didnt even get a 15hour preview. She just interviewed the IGN/Gamespot people who did.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
So give it to the big outlets who probably won't slam it even if they don't love it. That way even if it doesn't resonate with every critic, by the time those reviews trickle in they game should have done the bulk of its sales. The most crucial time for a sp game is the first 3 months. Especially if it doesn't review well, then the value will plummet fast.

Itll 30$ physical by next fall. Also anyone still thinking this will do gtav numbers is delusional. Gta v got its numbers because of gta online. Cyberpunk wont hold value with just sp, and the multi is a loooonnnggg time away. Itll still do amazing tho.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

He is also in the game, so just on that principle, you shouldn't take into account anything he says. Regardless if he's the best person on the planet. :D

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar do the same stuff with GTA for example. Not necessarily a reflection of quality / inherent issues if any.

I won't be buying until thoroughly reviewed by press and peer.
Not really, RDR2 had a lot of reviews on October 25th even from unknown websites.

Red Dead Redemption 2 critic reviews

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
So give it to the big outlets who probably won't slam it even if they don't love it. That way even if it doesn't resonate with every critic, by the time those reviews trickle in they game should have done the bulk of its sales. The most crucial time for a sp game is the first 3 months. Especially if it doesn't review well, then the value will plummet fast.

3 months? Then how Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order managed to keep selling for a whole year after launch in the US?

JFO didn't review 90+ well, but still sold over 10 million copies after the first 1-3 months and kept selling for months.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not only is that bad, their timing is bad in sending out review copies as you can read about in CD PROJEKT RED's latest conference call to investors (November 30, 2020):

We're 15 days away from launch. We're entering the most intensive phase of our marketing and PR campaign. On top of that in the next two weeks we will be sending review copies to journalists around the world, enabling them to publish their impressions and reviews of Cyberpunk before the release.
We're very excited and we eagerly await the moment gamers can finally lay their hands on​
the game.​

So instead of sending review copies of a long open world RPG game a month or so as happens with other companies, CDPR chose to send out review copies in December which gives critics only a few days until December 10th to finish such a big game and reflect on the review, and they somehow expect critics to publish reviews before the release. You know what that means, if critics want to release reviews, they'll literally have to crunch which is inappropriate considering this company's extensive level of crunch. Critics have majorly have had to crunch for AAA company game reviews, so it's just another bad practice continuing.

In the previous conference call, they said they are expecting a 90+ Metacritic score (October 28, 2020):
Q4: Thank you and good evening everyone. My first question is: can you disclose anything in terms of the level of preorders for the game, either on PC or somewhere else? Does the delay change anything in terms of your unit expectations? My second question is: given your comments regarding the quality of the game, I'm curious what sort of Metacritic score would you be disappointed with. And my third question: in order to boost sales in December, would you consider offering a bit more aggressive discounts? Is there a risk that the average selling price is a bit lower than what people would imagine? Thank you.​
AK: I'll take the first one. We can't say too much about preorders, but what we can share is that the ratio between preorders of The Witcher 3 at the same stage and preorders of Cyberpunk continues to strongly satisfy. We're happy with preorders and we're looking forward to the final stage. The majority of preorders always occurs at the very final stage. Regarding Metacritic expectations – perhaps Michał can cover this, and as for sales – we believe that the 21 day shift shouldn't change anything; it just moves sales and we really focus on the long-term perspective in terms of sales. This is secured by quality and nothing else matters, so – having better quality and a better initial reaction to the game always works in favor of sales; that's why we are delaying. As I've said – we don't have to, but we believe that having this extra time gives us a better assurance that everything is as it should be with the game which is coming on the 10th.​
MN: So, when it comes to Metacritic, we continuously aim at a 90+ game, so nothing has changed here; this remains the goal and, as Adam mentioned, this is actually the main reason for postponing the release. We want to give the game an extra polish; we'd rather be slightly ashamed right now in front of you than be ashamed in front of the players once the game releases. In terms of average selling price, whether it's going to be somewhat more aggressive – the answer is no. This was not the plan when we were planning to launch on November 19, and it's still not the plan for the December 10 launch. We believe we have a premium title that's coveted by the players and we don't need to offer any extra incentives – I think everybody who is going to be working on selling this game, in retail and on digital platforms, is going to be happy with what the game can make once it starts selling.​

Oh and just a refresher on what the business folks' take are regarding crunch:

Q2: Hi everybody. Still looking forward to visiting Night City. I've three questions. One question is to take the opposite tack and ask for assurance from you that you're confident that this is enough time – because one could worry that – let's suppose – you needed 7 weeks, which would have implied the game comes out in early January, which, commercially, is not a good time, and it's the next financial year, so – are you confident this is enough time? Secondly, I'm sure you'll receive some criticism for the extended crunch – will this relieve any pressure? And does this therefore mean that cash receipts will fall into the next financial year? And finally, have any refunds been requested because of the delay and do you think this could provoke requests for refunds? Thank you.​
AK: We feel firm. As I said, the game is releasable on the 19th and having those 3 more weeks just gives us more changes to fix this and that – so we feel secure. Of course the decision was not easy, but we also know that the release only happens once. The first impression is crucial, and in the long run having a few things done which wouldn't have been done in time for the 19th will work in our favor.​
We feel – maybe not comfortable [chuckle], but confident and will are releasing on the 10th.​
Regarding crunch; actually, it's not that bad – and never was. Of course it's a story that has been picked up by the media, and some people have been crunching heavily, but a large part of the team is not crunching at all since they have finished their work; it's mostly about Q&A and engineers, programmers – but it's not that heavy; of course, it will be extended a bit, but we have feedback from the team; they're happy about the extra three weeks, so we don't see any threats regarding crunch.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
He is also in the game, so just on that principle, you shouldn't take into account anything he says. Regardless if he's the best person on the planet. :D

Exactly, at a certain point it's all an extension of PR. I'm sure working on a game is a labor of love and I'm sure he's proud to be in the game. I know I'd have a tough time saying no to appearing in a Final Fantasy game.

Not only is that bad, their timing is bad in sending out review copies as you can read about in CD PROJEKT RED's latest conference call to investors (November 30, 2020): We're 15 days away from launch. We're entering the most intensive phase of our marketing and PR campaign. On top of that in the next two weeks we will be sending review copies to journalists around the world, enabling them to publish their impressions and reviews of Cyberpunk before the release. We're very excited and we eagerly await the moment gamers can finally lay their hands on the game. So instead of sending review copies of a long open world RPG game a month or so as happens with other companies, CDPR chose to send out review copies in December which gives critics only 10 days to finish such a big game and reflect on the review, and they somehow expect critics to publish reviews before the release. You know what that means, if critics want to release reviews, they'll literally have to crunch which is inappropriate considering this company's extensive level of crunch. Critics have majorly have had to crunch for AAA company game reviews, so it's just another bad practice continuing. In the previous conference call, they said they are expecting a 90+ Metacritic score (October 28, 2020): Q4: Thank you and good evening everyone. My first question is: can you disclose anything in terms of the level of preorders for the game, either on PC or somewhere else? Does the delay change anything in terms of your unit expectations? My second question is: given your comments regarding the quality of the game, I'm curious what sort of Metacritic score would you be disappointed with. And my third question: in order to boost sales in December, would you consider offering a bit more aggressive discounts? Is there a risk that the average selling price is a bit lower than what people would imagine? Thank you. AK: I'll take the first one. We can't say too much about preorders, but what we can share is that the ratio between preorders of The Witcher 3 at the same stage and preorders of Cyberpunk continues to strongly satisfy. We're happy with preorders and we're looking forward to the final stage. The majority of preorders always occurs at the very final stage. Regarding Metacritic expectations – perhaps Michał can cover this, and as for sales – we believe that the 21 day shift shouldn't change anything; it just moves sales and we really focus on the long-term perspective in terms of sales. This is secured by quality and nothing else matters, so – having better quality and a better initial reaction to the game always works in favor of sales; that's why we are delaying. As I've said – we don't have to, but we believe that having this extra time gives us a better assurance that everything is as it should be with the game which is coming on the 10th. MN: So, when it comes to Metacritic, we continuously aim at a 90+ game, so nothing has changed here; this remains the goal and, as Adam mentioned, this is actually the main reason for postponing the release. We want to give the game an extra polish; we'd rather be slightly ashamed right now in front of you than be ashamed in front of the players once the game releases. In terms of average selling price, whether it's going to be somewhat more aggressive – the answer is no. This was not the plan when we were planning to launch on November 19, and it's still not the plan for the December 10 launch. We believe we have a premium title that's coveted by the players and we don't need to offer any extra incentives – I think everybody who is going to be working on selling this game, in retail and on digital platforms, is going to be happy with what the game can make once it starts selling. Oh and just a refresher on what the business folks' take are regarding crunch: Q2: Hi everybody. Still looking forward to visiting Night City. I've three questions. One question is to take the opposite tack and ask for assurance from you that you're confident that this is enough time – because one could worry that – let's suppose – you needed 7 weeks, which would have implied the game comes out in early January, which, commercially, is not a good time, and it's the next financial year, so – are you confident this is enough time? Secondly, I'm sure you'll receive some criticism for the extended crunch – will this relieve any pressure? And does this therefore mean that cash receipts will fall into the next financial year? And finally, have any refunds been requested because of the delay and do you think this could provoke requests for refunds? Thank you. AK: We feel firm. As I said, the game is releasable on the 19th and having those 3 more weeks just gives us more changes to fix this and that – so we feel secure. Of course the decision was not easy, but we also know that the release only happens once. The first impression is crucial, and in the long run having a few things done which wouldn't have been done in time for the 19th will work in our favor. We feel – maybe not comfortable [chuckle], but confident and will are releasing on the 10th. Regarding crunch; actually, it's not that bad – and never was. Of course it's a story that has been picked up by the media, and some people have been crunching heavily, but a large part of the team is not crunching at all since they have finished their work; it's mostly about Q&A and engineers, programmers – but it's not that heavy; of course, it will be extended a bit, but we have feedback from the team; they're happy about the extra three weeks, so we don't see any threats regarding crunch.
That last quotation :(.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
3 months? Then how Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order managed to keep selling for a whole year after launch in the US?

JFO didn't review 90+ well, but still sold over 10 million copies after the first 1-3 months and kept selling for months.
This game could literally have 0 reviews and still sell a ridiculous amount for a long time.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017

Itll 30$ physical by next fall. Also anyone still thinking this will do gtav numbers is delusional. Gta v got its numbers because of gta online. Cyberpunk wont hold value with just sp, and the multi is a loooonnnggg time away. Itll still do amazing tho.
GTA online wasn't out at launch and wasn't in a playable state for a long time. I do agree that it won't do anything close to GTA numbers (I mean come on), but I do think I needed to address the idea a single player game can't sell extremely well.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Other than Nintendo games, the value if any game plummets fast these days...doesn´t matter how well a game reviews or not.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Not really, RDR2 had a lot of reviews on October 25th even from unknown websites.

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

I didn't follow RDR2 (don't care for the series) but I know they have done it with GTA multiple times.

So what you posted is not in dispute of what I wrote.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
That's true, one of my closest friend works for a big video game sites, and told me last night, they haven't got copies yet.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa

For the record, RDR 2 had review copies up to 2 - 3 weeks before release. I had mine 7 days before but I know people who had it sooner.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
True, but....other games take the opposite approach....earlier reviews with lots of access from the press because they are confident the game is good.

It seems very strange, but maybe they are patching things up to the very last minute, I dont know...

The fact that they delayed this game for like 4 more weeks is an indication that this game is being worked on until the last possible minute, will probably have the biggest day 1 patch of all time, and simply isn't READY for reviewers to look at yet from their perspective.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they've got every person with a WordPress blog claiming to be a "reviewer" and requesting an advance copy.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Despite being excited for the game, not a fan of CD PRojekt Reds media campaign at all, and it certainly has turned me off somewhat. Only the Witcher 3 and what has been shown about the actual game has made me interested in it. Don't like them cosing up to youtubers in this way.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be getting the game day one regardless of reviews but will be interested to see the MC score throughout the day.

I just need to know if it performs better on PS5 or SX...

Status
Not open for further replies.