• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Most games from this gen should be remade instead of remastered, this gen really hasn't aged well graphically. Specifically I think OoT, MM and Pac Man World should be given an update to modern graphics standards. I mean I don't think the graphics are terrible, but they just look so dated it wouldn't make sense to just remaster them.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 3 classic RE games.

If Capcom released RE3 with update graphics and the remake's skin for Jill and Nemesis (possibly voice too) I'd forgive them for their butcher work with REmake 3.
Came to mention this as well.

I was watching the HD mod on youtube and it would be amazing to see a rerelase that does something similiar. Update the character models for the character and maybe redo the voice acting for Jill, Carlos and all the characters with the current voices and I would be really satisfied.

I would love to see Parasite Eve get a rerelease. Voice acting and faster running speed would basically make it perfect for me.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Right, and remakes are a step up from low-effort HD uprezzes.

My point was more so that those are all games from the 5th gen that have been revived in some fashion.

Ah, that wasn't clear. All your post said was 'you forgot these' and then you listed games that didn't fit the thread premise

Oct 24, 2019
Ah, that wasn't clear. All your post said was 'you forgot these' and then you listed games that didn't fit the thread premise

I guess I didn't understand why remakes would be excluded from this equation. If something receives a HD update, it's not likely to receive a remake any time soon, and vice versa.

Plus, just focusing on HD uprezzes paints an inaccurate picture of how much love that era has gotten this gen, evidenced by the number of full remakes of the classics.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess I didn't understand why remakes would be excluded from this equation. If something receives a HD update, it's not likely to receive a remake any time soon, and vice versa.

Plus, just focusing on HD uprezzes paints an inaccurate picture of how much love that era has gotten this gen, evidenced by the number of full remakes of the classics.

Well the OP is clear about what the thread is about, and it's not about any of those things. It even highlights that the thread isn't about remakes

A lot of the games that have been remastered are good, they're not full remakes but they're still a good time

Something like F-Zero X doesn't really need a remake, as it would work pretty well already as a remaster. Same goes for a lot of older arcade racers. That was the question the thread is about. Which 5th gen games would work well as a remaster

I can see what you're saying though

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Shining Force 3 would be the best.

All content in one package (Scenario 1, 2, 3, PD)
update 3d towns/field
high def sprites for town and battle map
cel shaded 3d for the attacks
squash garosh hp bug

would be sweet. never happen though

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Legend of Dragoon
Vagrant Story
Banjo Kazooie
Parasite Eve
Dino Crisis
Final Fantasy IX
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Grandia
Megaman Legends
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
FF Tactics.
Make it look like the cut scenes in WoTL, don't fuck with the battle system or jobs since they're basically perfect (though add a hard mode that scales story missions with your level or something so I can't one shot the entire story part of the game). 4K. Pretty. Remastered GOAT tier sound track. More characters.
Please. I need it.

I second this; that pencil shaded look would be awesome but I'd even be cool with updated chibi versions of the character models. Keep the story but maybe add some bits and pieces that tie it more into the other Ivalice games. More unlocksble characters with back story, even add Marche too or Ashley Riot from Vagrant story. And maybe even an army/fortress simulator/managing element.

My suggestion is remake of SMT 1 and 2 with the engine of SMTIV but with 3ds battle screens a la Persona 5. They already have the demon models. God I'm droooling now.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry not getting it. It has something to do with Backlash?
i know Blast Corps is part of the Rare Replay which is going to be backward compatible on Series X. Is that it?

I was just joking about the fact that Backlash is a very challenging vehicle to drive (Diamond Sands!), hence "fear there might be a Backlash"

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I was just joking about the fact that Backlash is a very challenging vehicle to drive (Diamond Sands!), hence "fear there might be a Backlash"
Oh lol
I did not remember the vehicle names. A quick search and I see what you mean. But I like that vehicle, it's the one you can drift with and destroy the buildings?. it took some time to get used to but once you do it's pretty satisfying to destroy everything with it. I miss this game. The Rare Replay version did not change much from the original so it looks pretty bad on modern tvs. I wish they would have polished it a bit.

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
71XbLFYlW9L._SL1500_.jpg
s-l300.jpg
Parasite_Eve_Coverart.png
Dino_Crisis.jpg

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I think the developers and publishers have reasoned that 3D games from the 5th gen just don't look good enough to be played at modern resolutions.

It seems the absolute borderline for that kind of high-res remaster, that keeps the original art assets, is the Dreamcast (Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Code Veronica, etc.). Personally I agree for the most part. I prefer to play late 90's 3D games at their original resolutions, and even on my CRT if possible. I'd personally be satisfied I could just play the digital PS1 classics on PS4 (that I bought on PS3), with a good optional upscaler from 480p. To get most of these games presentable at 1080p or 4K you'd have to at the very least replace every texture, or maybe do a fully path-traced version like Quake II RTX and Minecraft RTX.

The other big problem is so many of them used pre-rendered backgrounds, which you can't easily blow up to HD. Capcom painstakingly tried to do it with the lastest versions of RE1 and RE0 and even then it had to completely rebuild some rooms, and some turned out better than others. Now though we do have that machine-learning stuff.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm. Not a ton, but off the top of my head:

Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Suikoden 1 and 2, Silent Bomber, Final Fantasy IX, Vagrant Story, Alundra, Chrono Cross. I know some of these are playable as Classics, but I wouldn't mind a complete Remake of a few of these on modern consoles.

Most of the games I'd love to see brought to PS4/5 would be from the PS2 and PS3 eras (like inFAMOUS 1 and 2, and Folklore)

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyrie Profile is the holy grail, but Square will never acknowledge that franchise again.

I'd happily suggest Blast Corps...

But I fear there might be a Backlash
Jesus christ, you just brought back a deeply buried trauma that I had completely forgotten. Holy shit.

Last edited:

jordannhowe

Oct 27, 2017
FF Tactics.
Make it look like the cut scenes in WoTL, don't fuck with the battle system or jobs since they're basically perfect (though add a hard mode that scales story missions with your level or something so I can't one shot the entire story part of the game). 4K. Pretty. Remastered GOAT tier sound track. More characters.
Please. I need it.

This right here^
While we're at it with Ivalice, let's just go ahead and throw in Vagrant Story for good measure. I really think that art style could shine just as brightly today if a little bit of remaster polish went into it.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
So I think maybe only the Banjo games, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini and Star Wars Episode 1: Racer have been given a HD makeover from the 5th Gen

What other 5th Gen games do you think could do with one?

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

I'm not talking about which games you want to see remade, I just want to know which games from this generation you think would benefit from a 4k 60fps remaster with some QoL improvements

Personally, I think Megaman Legends 1 and 2 would look great, and some of the arcade racers like Ridge Racer Type 4 and F Zero X would be amazing at 4k 60fps right out of the gate

What do you think, Era?

Edit: I actually forgot about FF7, 8 and 9, which have also been given HD updates
Personally I think this gen of games may look better with a CRT filter than with an higher resolution.

I'd add Killer Istinct (arcade AND Gold), Conker Bad Fur Day (N64 AND Xbox remake) and Blast Corps to your list, via Xbox BC or Rare Replay.
And also Turok, Turok 2 and Forsaken.

EDIT: Looking at the Xbox store right now, straight up ports of FFVII, VIII, and IX are going for 15-20 dollars apiece. Christ.
And they still are worse than the original versions, one more than another.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
FF Tactics.
Please. I need it.
Nah.

Redraw all the sprites in HD (or do character models that look like Bravely Default II, but have the same number of animation frames as before), keep the terrain blocky but redo the textures and meshes into a style that looks like a realistically lit game board or diorama with a tilt shift effect.

Basically I'd want all the levels to look like this:

O1XxC3n.jpg

...but really at this point I'd be fine if they just brought the mobile port (which already has remastered graphics) to PC.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Body Harvest, Burning Rangers, Shining Force 3, Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dark Savior, Legend of Oasis, Saturn Bomberman, Princess Crown, Lunar Silver Star Story, Lunar Eternal Blue, Mischief Makers, Shinobi Legions, Quest 64, Shadowgate 64, Bomberman 64, Goldeneye, Castlevania 64

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Redraw all the sprites in HD (or do character models that look like Bravely Default II, but have the same number of animation frames as before), keep the terrain blocky but redo the textures and meshes into a style that looks like a realistically lit game board or diorama with a tilt shift effect.

Basically I'd want all the levels to look like this:

O1XxC3n.jpg

...but really at this point I'd be fine if they just brought the mobile port (which already has remastered graphics) to PC.
Just reading the text on the guidebook made me wanna replay the damn game. A crying shame that square hasn't brought it to modern consoles.