• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What rating of games would you play exclusively for the rest of your life?

• 90+ games only

Votes: 377 26.5%
  • 1-89 games only

Votes: 1,046 73.5%

• Total voters

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In principle yes, I'm generally happy missing out on more and getting a better experience out of what I do consume.

But metacritic is not a reliable enough filter with which to pull out the best games. Hollow Knight for instance sits at 88 or 89% when you merge all of the PS4, PC and Switch reviews together. Meanwhile, I think it's widely regarded as the best-game in its class.

So, you'd miss out on a game like Hollow Knight, because critics don't often see that format of game as being eligible for that 90+ category. Same for party games, there's very few you'd ever be able to play except Mario Kart 8 deluxe. And the original Mario Kart 8 on Wii U didn't even meet the criteria.

You'd miss out on games like Outer Wilds because some reviewers just didn't 'get it'. The lowest scoring review of Outer Wilds marks the game down for not being a genre of game that it ever aimed to be.

" My biggest issues – a lack of combat, direction, or material rewards – are obviously deliberate, bold choices on the part of the devs"

Of course here, the author acknowledges that a lack of combat is a design intention (it would be absurd to suggest otherwise), but still the review pulls down the aggregate significantly, on a basis that does not seem likely to align with the experiences of people that enjoy Outer Wilds style of combat-free puzzle/exploration based gameplay.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Sub 90 easily. A way bigger variety of games there, and games in the 80s are really solid, and often better for my personal preferences than the 90+ ones

Aug 14, 2020
My two favourite games are Insomniacs spider man and persona 5. One is mid 80s, the other is 90+, so this is a really tough call xD

I'm going to say 90+ games only. I think I could cope with missing out on loads of sub 90 games but missing out on Elden ring and breath of the wild type stuff would be tough.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
My taste in games doesn't agree with Metascores that closely, so I wouldn't expect my future favorites to be mostly in the 90+ group. Looking at past favorites, it certainly seems like the sub-90 group would be the better choice for that reason alone. Add the greater variety that comes with a larger selection, inclusion of niche games without broad appeal (such as Spider-Man), and it's not a difficult choice.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
1-89 every day of the week. I would have missed out on so many of my favorite games if I only played 90 and above. Plus you throw in a few reviewers with an agenda or the classic now they play 25-30 hours a review and I have no faith in some absolutely amazing games dropping to below 90.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Give me the 90+ list. Easily.

this is where you learn that review scores are factually garbage because being stuck with only the 90+ games would be a dreadful life.

all the best games are rated lower than 90. fucking quote me on that.

Lmao. Chrono Trigger, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, TLoU, Halo, LoZ: OoT, THPS2, Most mainline Mario games, RDR2, BioShock, Uncharted 2, Orange Box, RE 4, Gran Turismo 3, Forza and FZ, Half-life, etc.

You're insane.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My 2 favorite games ever (Silent Hill 2 and Morrowind) are 89s. All my GOTYs from last-gen were under 90 MC outside of one. I'd certainly hate to lose Deus EX 1 & 3, the MGS franchise, and Rockstar games, but I'd be losing a lot more the other way.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
1-89 easily. Not near enough games 90+ to keep me busy and many that score that are genres I don't like or games I don't like nearly as much as things in the 80s many years.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most games I play are sub 90, but its hard to give up on pretty much all Zeldas, all Marios, all Smash games, all Souls games, etc. Harder to pick than I thought.

The sheer amount of great games I would lose out on is pretty staggering on sub 90 though.
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1/3 are <90 with DS2 SotFS also <90

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Give me the 90+ list. Easily.

Lmao. Chrono Trigger, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, TLoU, Halo, LoZ: OoT, THPS2, Most mainline Mario games, RDR2, BioShock, Uncharted 2, Orange Box, RE 4, Gran Turismo 3, Forza and FZ, Half-life, etc.

You're insane.

Not everyone rates games equally. This is like handing someone a gourmet meal and being upset that they'd prefer Zaxby's or Popeye's or something. If I don't like platformers and Zelda, and don't wanna play games from before the HD era, how many games have I really lost out on? A hundred or so?

zaitsu

Banned
Jan 27, 2022
I would choose tlou2 , RDR2, God of war and sekiro over all other games in the world. Those are reasons im still into gaming at age 26 and just graduated medschool. I played other games under 90 but never felt that i would miss anything if i wouldnt played them at all. So yeah you got my point. Our time on earth is limited, and gaming is still time loop hole. Give me those masterpieces and dont waste my time with anything less.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
For my Nintendo consoles, the 90+ games would probably be the better choice, as it would include most major Mario and Zelda games, among others. Otherwise, the 1-89 list is generally better. I have around 25 or so PS1 games, for example, and only 5 of them scored 90+ on Metacritic: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy IX. I'd miss three of those a lot (Symphony of the Night, FFVII, and FFIX), but, even so, I'd take the rest of the PS1 library that I own over those five games (two of my top three PS1 games, Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile, scored less than 90).

To be cheeky, you could pick the 1-89 list and cheat by playing ports of classics that scored less than 90 upon re-release. The PS1 version of Symphony of the Night got a 93, but the XBox 360 port "only" got an 89. Super Mario 3D World is a similar case (the Wii U version scored 93 and the Switch port, 89). Super Mario Galaxy is one of the highest rated games of all time, yet the Mario 3D All-Stars collection got a measly 82.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
Just a few games that are 89 on Metacritic:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Fable II
It Takes Two
Left 4 Dead 2
Dead Cells
Majora's Mask 3D
All of the NBA Street games
Titanfall 2
F-Zero GX
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Tetris Effect
Slay the Spire
Apex Legends
Resident Evil 2
Advance Wars 2
The Orange Box

89 and below easy

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's the original question of 90+ than i would do everything else if the question is 85+ than I would do 85+ without a second thought.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
The Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, and Elden Ring are all above 90.

I don't like them at all.

Mass Effect: Andromeda, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Fallout 4 are all below 90.

I play them all annually. The answer is pretty clear.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
90+

I would basically miss out on all future Mario, Zelda, Fromsoft, Naughty Dog, and Rockstar games if I chose the other option and that's a big no no.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
90+ for sure.

I couldn't live without the vast majority of Mario platformers, Zelda and Metroid Primes.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
It would be a shame to lose Journey (which for me is the greatest game of all time) among some other absolute gems, but more often than not 90+ on Metacritic is sign of hype and mass appeal rather than quality.

I find that there's more higher quality games that land in 80-89 range rather than 90+, and let's not forget about very interesting but not quite successful experiments that oftentimes land below 80.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
1-89, easily.
First, I play lots of retro games that were around pre-Metacritic, and I also like my fair share of obscure, janky, and charming old games.
Second, I feel my favorite genre (Japanese RPGs) have a sort-of wall where they'll never get higher than the 80s, due to the majority not being big budget.
Third, many more games to play.