• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What rating of games would you play exclusively for the rest of your life?

• 90+ games only

Votes: 377 26.5%
  • 1-89 games only

Votes: 1,046 73.5%

• Total voters

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
For me it comes down to can I live not playing a gta 6 or botw, and what ever else comes out. I think I would be happier sticking with 90 up.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
All 90+ tells me is that a game has a very high marketing budget.

Hell, I compiled a list of ten games I love and as you'll see, all but one of them are firmly in the 80s:

The only two games I can think of that crack 90 is GTA: San Andreas (which is unsurprising) and Burnout 3: Takedown (because it's a fucking banger).

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Is this about 90+ games going forward, or does it include every previous 90+ game as well?
Many of my favorite games of all time were 90+, but the majority of the modern games that hit those scores typically tend to be yawn inducing for me since it's the same names again and again, or games that play too similarly to one another anyway.

I'd still probably go with 1-89 though since I've had fun with a lot more games within the 80 - 89 range overall, and going forward I'm sure there will be way more games within that range that I would like compared to the typical AAA, "We spent five hundred trillion on these cutscenes" games that get all the praise largely because of production value and not as much for actual gameplay content.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The era of remakes makes things even easier. Like, sure, you can't play THPS2 on the PS1, but you CAN play the remaster on the modern consoles. Losing THPS3 hurts, though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean by logic, there's probably only a handful of 90+ games every year. At most probably 5 on a great year?

Where as majority of the games that comes out are bound to be lower than that.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Slay the Spire is below 90 on all platforms, using that as my metric I'd never choose the 90+ range.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
A game scoring 90+ on MC doesn't mean I'll automatically love it more than games rated 89 and below. The guarantee of a satisfying experience is gone the moment you don't agree with the general consensus on a game. Plus, why miss out on other great titles based on an aggregate rating?

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Most rhythm games and shmups don't crack over 90% and I spend most of my gaming time on those so this is the easiest of choices. 1-89.

Shit even the Mega Man games aren't cracking 90. So easy.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't want my gaming life to be dictated by what reviewers recommend the most
Yeah, there are some genres that just don't appeal to a large number of people and because of that they will inevitably score lower than genres that do, like say a milsim game versus a third person action adventure game. One of those genres has a way higher chance than the other, no matter how good they are, to score a 90+ aggregate score.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Most games well into the 90s just have extremely good marketing budgets and impressive presentation really. There are also tons that people argue were never good years after the fact, like Jet Set Radio.

If you pick 90s and up only I suppose you would be allowed to play Yakuza 0 on Xbox but no other platforms though.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
1-89 for sure.

Are there some fantastic games in 90+? Obviously.

But think about the sheer number of games on 1-89. Then also think about how many of those games didn't get to 90+ just for maybe a few issues at launch or just the fact that it's a niche game?

Adum

May 30, 2019
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature is 82%

How can one live without ever having played Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
This isn't a fun choice, haha. Even though you would miss out on far fewer great games by going with the 1-89 group, there are, surprise, a lot of amazing games in that top class.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the Souls games seem to be in the 80s. Demons Souls (non-remaster) barely makes the cut at 89 too.
Mass Effect 1 and 3 at 89 as well, and 2 manage to get included through the remaster.
Maybe most important Pillars of Eternity is at 89, for some unfair reason, so I cant in good conscience say anything else than 1-89.
Much easier choice than I would have expected.

Ports and remasters really is a savior here. It might hurt a little bit, but you can even play Witcher 3 in the 1-89 segment, you just have to go for the Switch version.

Damn, all those games sitting at 89. If I could only pick a single metacritic score number of games to play at all, it seems like 89 is the perfect choice.

Last edited:

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Indies usually don't make it to 90, so I'll take the 1-89.

Circle of the Moon being 91 while all the DS castlevanias got <90 is... lmao

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
90+

I couldn't go without games like Forza Horizon 5 and Dragon Quest XI.

There are just too many games to skip the best ones.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
1 - 89 any day of the week. The vast majority of my favorite games are lower than 90, and you get infinitely more variety in that bracket.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Finding a platformer above 90 is very rare, especially for 3D types... except Mario lol. I'd hate to see ALL of them go. Also, the more experimental games types would disappear if I chose 90+.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
For some reason, I thought more of my favorite games hit the sub-90 range. Not at all. In fact, I pretty clearly favor games above 90 overall, even if there are tons of exceptions.

Really split on this one. 🤔

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Soulsborneldenkiro >>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

That said, many of my favorite games are below 90 but FromSoft is just in a league of their own and their games are in the 90+ category.

Nah, it varies, depending on the specific game or version.

Demon's Souls PS3 89
Sekiro PC 88
Original Dark Souls 89
Dark Souls Remastered 84
Dark Souls 2 SotFS 87
Dark Souls 3 89

Dark Souls 2, Elden Ring and Bloodborne are above, but as long as you choose specific platforms, the others are available in some version.

Last edited:

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Most of my favourite genres rarely hit 90+, and the big games that reviewers love rarely interest me. Seeing as I mentally usually end up adding a few points to the genres I like and deducting them from type of games that bother the GOTY lists, I'm happy enough with <89. I suspect that vast majority of my favourite games don't have a massive metacritic score.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
90+ usually just means that the game has been watered down enough so yeah I'll take my chances with <90

Nov 3, 2017
Option 2. I would rather have a world of Tom Chick well-reviewed games than zeitgeist ones, even if I don't always agree with him.

Am I doing this right

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
1-89 > 90+

Greater variety of games. We all think certain games that people laud amazing ok and vice versa. Also you can limit it to 80-89 and still come out on top.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is hardest "either or what if" in the history of the site. Bravo OP. Fuuuuck. I don't know!!

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If i had to pick top 10 video games for me most would be lower than 90, hell maybe 85 so it's easy to pick. OP you should have posted the poll with 1-85 instead of 1-89 lol.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
1-89, easiest choice i ever made, most of the games i like are not games media darlings anyway.

POOPLE

Aug 5, 2021
The Republic of Gamers
so one of the problems with this premise is that because MC from like 90-100 has a lot of great games, but their are a very large amount that are just the different ports of the same games. I know this because I wanted to play all the games in the top 100, but when i had to start accounting for duplicates it becomes very hard to tell when the list starts. Overall 1-89 would be a better choice because you could effectively play a 90+ game that just has a lower rated port.Also, If you also cut out all the dupes from 90 onward sticking with the highest rated ports then 90-100 gets considerably smaller.