• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how he's selling chicken now, but when it was the 80's it was nothing but bloody carnage.

There are many moments in the movie but I'll leave you with this one

ExcitableNervousHarborseal.gif

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2010's kids will have Momo, Five Nights at Freddy's, and Spider-Man Injecting A Needle into Elsa.

Mar 29, 2018
Thing is, it was also the decade when children's TV bottomed out in being toothless, smarmy treacle. A decade when He-Man had a sword that he couldn't use due to TV violence restrictions. Also the decade when Disney seemed to be on the brink of irrelevance. So the animated film and TV special space felt that they had room to grow the medium against what was showing on TV or from Disney, at the time the last bastion of animation in Hollywood.

In the 90s Bluth's stuff stopped having as much impact in that regard because of the rise of Nickelodeon, and later Cartoon Network, plus the Disney renaissance meaning that animators could express more freely through more high profile channels.
I've got feeling we're gonna see a big backlash on this in the 20s. The coddling. Theres a lot of research into how minor disturbances/painful experiences in childhood actually help a kid's development. (I mean stuff like shows and unsupervised play, not really heavy shit or anything.) Without that stuff you never gain a toolkit for adult life or independence - no coping mechanisms, perspective, resilience, etc

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
First movie that came to mind was Garbage Pail Kids when I saw the title because I was thinking this was going to be about movies so bad we had to drink to forget about them.

giphy.gif

cats-eye4.gif

The Cats Eye...

I had uh, when u wake up and can't move? Invisible thing crawling on me... clearly it was this fucking puppet man thing.
I really liked The Cat's Eye as a kid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funny how he's selling chicken now, but when it was the 80's it was nothing but bloody carnage.

There are many moments in the movie but I'll leave you with this one

ExcitableNervousHarborseal.gif
Nothing in Robocop bothered me, even the brutal killing or Murphy, except this shit.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
90's kids have Witches

tumblr_inline_pgb682myrN1w8eo52_540.gif

tumblr_mfyvd6tOq81rne776o1_500.gif

tumblr_mvgilsVHM71sykpjyo1_400.gif

TBH, this is borderline at best seeing that it came out only a couple months into 1990, I'd wager most of the kid audience in theaters was 80s kids.

I hear that. Fuck the Dark Crystal and ET!
Family entertainment my ass!
ET was fucking nightmare fuel for me, I was three when I saw it on a rerelease had nightmares of ET's projected head floating over me saying threatening to kill me. ET turning dogshit white while dying is also something that made me not want to watch it again without avoiding that scene until I was a teenager.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The original Transformers Movie.

558156_v2.gif

hOakwL.gif

tenor.gif

KJHstw.gif

HeartfeltZestyBighorn.webp

200.webp

mr-stark-I-dont-feel-so-good.gif

childhoodnightmares.gif

To help recover from this, here's the single most bad ass moment from any 80's animation ever.
ShoddyNaughtyLarva.webp

Sorry fam, but everything else in this thread is nothing comparatively. These weren't some one off cartoon rodents we were just meeting... These were life long toys and companions we saw fucking murdered graphically in ways that would be deemed rated R with the amount of dismemberment and gore... but it was the 80's and those are technically robots so I'm sure it'll leave no scarring on small children!

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck this movie
Fuck the commercial ads that they played for this movie on October
Fuck this movie x9
But i did see this movie AS A CHILD BECAUSE MY MOM WAS A HORROR ADDICT VIA A VHS SHE RENTED AT A LOCAL VIDEO STORE AND I WAS FUCKING CURIOUS
Fuck this movie x2 million

Now if someone can post that Poltergeist movie where the family goes to the netherworld and you see the demon thingie with all the people stuck to it, my nightmare would now be complete

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Growing up in the 80's/early 90's it seemed like a lot of things that were made for that age range actually treated the audience like they were mature and could think for themselves, those movies actually had some good life lessons in it and messages but they weren't afraid to throw in the horror or other things, especially compared to movies of today aimed at the same target audience.

I mean take The NeverEnding Story, the Artax scene in the swamp, the Gmork scene in the cave, these kinds of things were stuff you'd see in movies yet today seeing many movies aimed at that age they seem a lot more shallow in terms of how far they go with that kind of stuff.

The sad things or gore? Usually toned down or it's done "off screen" so you don't see it. It seems like things are a lot more toned down these days as far as movies made in like the PG/PG-13 age range, also the fact that most of them are CGI or animated these days rather then live action with props and such, which to me made them look more real.

Fuck this movie
Fuck the commercial ads that they played for this movie on October
Fuck this movie x9
But i did see this movie AS A CHILD BECAUSE MY MOM WAS A HORROR ADDICT VIA A VHS SHE RENTED AT A LOCAL VIDEO STORE AND I WAS FUCKING CURIOUS
Fuck this movie x2 million

Now if someone can post that Poltergeist movie where the family goes to the netherworld and you see the demon thingie with all the people stuck to it, my nightmare would now be complete

I remembered in The Gate that dog scene, where he's dancing with his mom and then it turns into his dead dog always gave me the shivers.

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, this is borderline at best seeing that it came out only a couple months into 1990, I'd wager most of the kid audience in theaters was 80s kids.

ET was fucking nightmare fuel for me, I was three when I saw it on a rerelease had nightmares of ET's projected head floating over me saying threatening to kill me. ET turning dogshit white while dying is also something that made me not want to watch it again without avoiding that scene until I was a teenager.
Yup. I had nightmares. Couldn't sleep alone. It was awful.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So when people say "80s kids" or "90s kids" does that mean people born in the decade or were just kids during the decade?

Anyway, this was always weird:

More like '70s, but this terrified me as a kid, coming as it did right after the apparent death of the fat German kid (which didn't seem to bother anyone).:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So when people say "80s kids" or "90s kids" does that mean people born in the decade or were just kids during the decade?
Are you trying to seem like a cool kid and invalidate the generations that came after you? Then the latter. Are you trying to give yourself undue street cred about an issue that didn't really effect you? The former.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Also, for the people who are posting Watership Down, ever see Plague Dogs (I believe same author. I saw that one first, Watership Down seemed cheery in comparison).

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Also, for the people who are posting Watership Down, ever see Plague Dogs (I believe same author. I saw that one first, Watership Down seemed cheery in comparison).
I might be imagining things but I remember there being a jim henson version of Animal Farm

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
90s/2000s kid here. Got Watership Down on DVD for Christmas one year, and I knew absolutely nothing about it. That movie really fucked me up.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watership Down

This is so god damn disturbing if you don't know what you are getting into. So many kids got scarred.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
First movie that came to mind was Garbage Pail Kids when I saw the title because I was thinking this was going to be about movies so bad we had to drink to forget about them.

giphy.gif

I really liked The Cat's Eye as a kid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nothing in Robocop bothered me, even the brutal killing or Murphy, except this shit.
Same for me.

Why did this feel more real than everything else LOL

Oct 27, 2017
I take it that y'all weren't "Real Ghostbusters" kids. The fucked up shit in there prepared me for nearly anything ghastly.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
FU assholes for posting that Superman 3 GIF :p

Nightmare fuel from childhood.

Here's my contribution:

FlakyImperfectHoneybadger-small.gif

Still disturbing.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The shit from dark crystal that still fucks me up is that scene where the random little dude gets his life force sucked out from looking at that machine. Really unnerving.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Artax sinking into the swamp in The Neverending Story. The emotions when watching that with my sister as a kid. My God.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I hear you! Remember Gremlins, that sweet family comedy? This movie scared the shit out of me as a kid...

giphy.gif
And one of the major reasons PG-13 exists!

A bit above me, but my cousins tell an epic story of when their mom brought them to the mall to watch it and thought it would be ok to leave them while she shopped (which was absolutely a thing people were cool with). They got fucked up for years as a result.