• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Any one try any of these services? Been wondering about them and hear about them on podcast. It would be nice to talk to someone disconnected from my life

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Do you have insurance? If so, I highly recommend finding a professional you can build a trusting relationship with.

OP
OP
Jeffapp

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
I do, I think it's a pretty good plan. I didn't know you could put this on there.
I feel like insurance is such a scary thing you never even look at what it covers

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My wife has been doing hers online and really likes it. We live in Seattle but her provider is in Florida (licensed to practice here). I started therapy in person but have been doing it virtual from home with that same therapist since March now due to Covid and I don't think it's any different than when I was in his office.

Ours is covered by our health insurance through United Health.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hardest part would be intially meeting someone and deciciding if they are right for you, because that is already a challenge and doing it entirely through a webcam probably doesn't help. Another issue would be having enough privacy at home for the session. Assuming you can get past all that, it's a very similar experience to going in person, and more convenient.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I do, I think it's a pretty good plan. I didn't know you could put this on there.
I feel like insurance is such a scary thing you never even look at what it covers

Call up your insurance company and find someone in your network.

But do your homework. My company told me I could go out of network, so I did, then after a month they said they don't cover it. But I wanted to see my doc so it's been out of pocket for 2.5 years. It's rough but it's not breaking the bank.

We started seeing each other in person , and built a rapport that way. The most interesting stuff for me about therapy is the meta shit. Do I want to lay down? Do I want to look her in the eyes? How am I feeling about showing up? It's a whole different ball game doing it over video, but equally valuable.

Therapy has given my life back to me. Good luck!!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've been doing this in quarantine and I'm surprised at how well it works. Webcam is a mostly suitable replacement, especially because during in-person therapy I was often too nervous/awkward to make eye contact. It's also just a lot more convenient.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
I've been doing online therapy since around October (I had face-to-face meetings starting July, but as pandemic got worse in my neck of Northern Ireland, it switched to virtual through Zoom).

It honestly has done me as much good being able to do this virtually than face-to-face.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Better Help is a scam.

Otherwise, there are therapists that offer service online either on camera or over the phone.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Done online instead of face-to-face a couple of times now with the same therapist, this week too and it has worked well for me.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
How is it a scam 🤔
My partner tried it earlier in the year, and they refused or constantly rescheduled any of her free trial appointments to place her with someone to "best suit her needs" as they say, with each time mentioning that she can guarantee a time by paying up front instead of using her trial appointments. She finally got one, and the person flat out said "Alright, I've got a match for you, but you've already scheduled all your trial appointments, so for me to tell you who you're matched with and for you to go forward, you'll need to pay." And the amount was much higher than the price advertised.

Maybe it was just her experience, but they're garbage.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
My partner tried it earlier in the year, and they refused or constantly rescheduled any of her free trial appointments to place her with someone to "best suit her needs" as they say, with each time mentioning that she can guarantee a time by paying up front instead of using her trial appointments. She finally got one, and the person flat out said "Alright, I've got a match for you, but you've already scheduled all your trial appointments, so for me to tell you who you're matched with and for you to go forward, you'll need to pay." And the amount was much higher than the price advertised.

Maybe it was just her experience, but they're garbage.
That sucks :/

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any one try any of these services? Been wondering about them and hear about them on podcast. It would be nice to talk to someone disconnected from my life
That wouldn't be Better Help at least?

I'm wary of counselling services being promoted through influencers, celebs, or as paid sponsorships. I'd recommend finding a service by yourself. For UK, I used Counselling Directory. For USA, I'm not as familiar.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
How is it a scam 🤔

Read the fine print.

"However, while the service may have similar benefits, it's not capable of substituting for traditional face-to-face therapy in every case. Please note that your provider won't be able to make any official diagnosis, to fulfill any court order or prescribe medication."

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
That wouldn't be Better Help at least?

I'm wary of counselling services being promoted through influencers, celebs, or as paid sponsorships. I'd recommend finding a service by yourself. For UK, I used Counselling Directory. For USA, I'm not as familiar.

Psychology Today has great resources for local professionals. Health care providers also provide lists of therapists covered under their plans.

Another thing to look into is it to see if your employer provides a number of sessions for free initially. I had 12 sessions covered in full before they counted toward my deductible for the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Read the fine print.

"However, while the service may have similar benefits, it's not capable of substituting for traditional face-to-face therapy in every case. Please note that your provider won't be able to make any official diagnosis, to fulfill any court order or prescribe medication."

for me that looks fine with the exception of making official diagnosis. It is entirely accurate to say that online therapy is not the same as in-person therapy. Only certain service providers can deal specifically with court orders, and only psychiatrists can prescribe meds, with some exception of psychologists in certain states.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I started therapy for the first time this August. I was specifically looking for someone who specializes in transgender care so I didn't bother going through my insurance website and instead just Googled to find someone who git my needs. She does like about 40 minutes away from my so I could do in person meetings in the future if I wanted to but at this point I dont know if I will bother.

Anyways. Video therapy is great. She's been very helpful.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
unfortunately it rarely covers out patient therapists.

my wife is a psychologist, and shes been doing majority zoom/phone therapy since the pandemic started, but she doesnt take insurance. Its such a pain for individual therapist like her to be able to take insurance it ends up not being worth her time.

I wish you good luck OP, therapy can be very helpful. If you're not clicking with your therapist after a few sessions try a different one.