• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
OP you should try playing a VR game online, that still blows my mind. Even a game like Rec Room where you can do more than just jump up and down in front of soneone, you can actually get in another persons face and high five them and stuff. Im still eagerly awaiting a huge succesful VR mmo to really be able to get into.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy online games with real life friends (mostly co-ops), but haven't played with strangers in years (several bad experiences turned me off completely).

OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
OP you should try playing a VR game online, that still blows my mind. Even a game like Rec Room where you can do more than just jump up and down in front of soneone, you can actually get in another persons face and high five them and stuff. Im still eagerly awaiting a huge succesful VR mmo to really be able to get into.

I have a VR, I will try it!

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
5f7waqp.jpg

It was my experience playing WoW for the first time.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
VR and online is the pinnacle of online gaming. Getting non verbal cues from others. Being able to point to tell others where to go or to look at something, 3d audio making it so you hear others relative to their in in game space. The first time I played VR online and finally took off the helmet, it was a little startling to remember I was in a room by myself

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This is why I love Sea of Thieves. For all its weirdness and quirks, it embraces online gaming in a fun and inventive way and engenders situations that you do not get anywhere else. This way online games enable novel and fun experiences gets ignored by 'all online games have shitty communities' talk.

Yes, online games have downsides at times. But they also create kinds of magic single player games cannot. Why not both + more please.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing PSO online at the time was a special feeling, yeah. Especially with people speaking different languages, although their solution for that was, uh, functional is the nice way to put it.

And then I played FFXI and the situation there was even worse, lol.

That virtual world, the internet...

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Chu Chu Rocket changed the game for me. They advertised the Dreamcast as one of the first consoles out the box with a modem, and I gladly bought the first game that supported it.

Were you on 56k back then? I was... the lag on placing those arrows online vs playing locally was like relearning the game all over again, lol. The lobby and everything was basic asf, but I loved it.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Online gaming is one of the greatest advancements in the medium. The ability to compete and communicate and play strip Uno with people all over the world is amazing.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not at mind blowing anymore but the younger generation will for sure always take it for granted how much work went into establishing the online gaming we have today. I still remember tunneling an xbox to play Halo 1 over gamespy and being blown away that I was playing with 3 other consoles from another country

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not when those games have toxic communities and public voice/text chat.

Online play is amazing.

People continue to be shit.

Playing PSO online at the time was a special feeling, yeah. Especially with people speaking different languages, although their solution for that was, uh, functional is the nice way to put it.

And then I played FFXI and the situation there was even worse, lol.

That virtual world, the internet...

Man. PSO was pretty good.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
It helps when you're good at the game you're playing but I do remember being amazed at the prospect/ability to play real people online during the Dreamcast days on nba 2k/unreal tournament. I quite enjoyed the hate/love mail in the lobbies when that used to be a thing.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This sounded like a grandparent explaining online play to their grandchild or something. lol

But yes, it's pretty sweet. Crazier to think I was playing with people 20 years ago on PSO with a 56K dial up modem.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Having a reliable stream of opponents for fighting games (at least the popular ones) is completely amazing. I think about it all the time.

At the dawn of online gaming, it was widely thought that finding games wouldn't be possible because leg. Should have known better; You could pull the trigger in quake online and you would get a pretty good reaction even on a dial-up modem. Fighting games now are probably one of the most finicky genres for online play, but absolutely playable enjoyable online.

The only online games I actually play are fighting games and Gran Turismo for the sport mode. I guess dreams, if that counts.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
People in Gears of War called me names and made me feel horrible because I wasn't good enough at the game. Even playing games I couldn't escape the bullying I was dealing with at school at the time.

Fuck online gaming. That experience is a very memorable one and is a key reason I'm a single player gamer to this day.
Sorry to hear you were being bullied at school at the time. That's real crap.

However I loved online trash talking. Having someone shit talk to me and end up winning the match was so satisfying.
I miss getting trashed talked and actually meeting new and consistent personalities.

I got called so many names and made fun of so much and it was great back in the day. I someone says "your team sucks ass" in the chat window and it gets filtered.

Also, party chat was inevitable; but it really killed a lot of the fun.

That said, it is pretty great when it works right.
Dude, for real. Gears of War 1 was amazing in this regard. If you died, you went straight to the lobby and could only talk to the people who were dead.

It was hilarious because you'd hear a lot or "Oh crap, he's on ......" or "uccckkkk". Lol

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
It's amazing how normal it is now. Everquest was my first mind blowing online experience.

I quite enjoy the banter and toxicity, it's nowhere near as brutal as when my friends come around for local multiplayer lol.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Conceptually it's a great idea whose potential is often undermined by human nature. After my depression/anxiety got worse I just didn't want to deal with the toxicity of most online games anymore, so the novelty to me is dead unless you're playing with people you know.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It totally is. It still amazes me that there is a server kms away from my home that Reading my input, process it, send back, and have the game render it to me, all in less than 100ms, and do the same to everyone playing with me, and I feel like controlling everything locally. It's really a great achievement.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
OP, I can't tell if you're really new to this and posting in earnest, but it looks like many are giving you the benefit of the doubt, so I wish you well on your new online journey.

Just take care out there, and when you see something called a "loot box" just run.
Run as far and fast as your little legs will carry you.

its all fake. just really good bots. the internet is all bots too. im a bot
Reminded me of this song:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
People in Gears of War called me names and made me feel horrible because I wasn't good enough at the game. Even playing games I couldn't escape the bullying I was dealing with at school at the time.

Fuck online gaming. That experience is a very memorable one and is a key reason I'm a single player gamer to this day.
Really sorry you and so many others have to face this. This sums up online gaming for me pretty well. Even the games without voice chat would be ruined by trolls.

I can count the number of positive online gaming experiences I've ever had on one hand, mostly with a few hours spent in Animal Crossing.

I think online gaming is incredible but it's so frequently marred by the worst of online behaviour and competitive hostility. It's important to remember this is how many people associate online games.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing world of warcraft since vanilla. All those hours spent playing Halo 3, cod4, and Blackops online.
Overwatch is my most played game this gen.

So yeah, online gaming is amazing.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Welcome to multiplayer, better late than never, my favorite online games are R6 Siege and Rocket League on PC, both are great cause you need to cooperate with your mates to defeat other real people and you never know what someone could try to do. Other online games i play are FIFA and PES, PUBG and Mario Kart 8. I will try Destiny 2 when it will be free but i'm not so hyped for it since you fight bots. The downside is that multiplayer games are so fun and unpredictable that it becomes harder to go back to single player experiences, also cause time is limited, unless they are really awesome games like a Zelda, Cyberpunk 2077, Control etc

Nov 8, 2017
I play co-op Conan Exiles with my best friend who lives in another country. It's like our way of hanging out now. We'll drink a few beers while going out mining, crafting new equipment, working on our castle, going on adventures, etc.. It's amazing how technology has enabled us to do this.