• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Simple question. What are some online publications you are currently paying for or would consider to pay? Do you for example have subscription for NYT and is it worth the money? Or are you happy with the X amount articles per month most papers give you?

I only have one subscription and it's for The Paris Review. I'm not even that interested in the new issues but they have amazing archives of interviews with great writers. I'll probably stop subbing once I'm done with the interviews.

Financial Times is another one that I could see myself paying for. They have very through reporting and Lunch With FT usually has interesting guests.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
The Athletic. Probably the most consistent source of quality sports journalism out there.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If Video Game print media was still viable, i'd totally still have a subscription to a few different game magazines. Kinda miss opening up the mailbox to see GMR, OPM, GI, OXM, and such.

Nov 18, 2020
Or are you happy with the X amount articles per month most papers give you?

You know there's an extension that lets you bypass news site paywalls, right?

github.com

GitHub - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome: Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox.

Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

On-topic, I've always been a fan of the long-form articles of The Atlantic. They have thoroughly impressed me in the past and raised the bar for quality journalism. ProPublica and The New Yorker are also excellent for investigatory journalism.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I subscribe to the online edition of The New Yorker. It's one of very few remaining places where long-form journalism still has a proper home.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Mediapart. Their investigative journalism is always thorough and amazing, and I already subscribed to them in the past, and will again in the future.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I pay a monthly fee for The Guardian since it is basically my main source for news, also read a lot of their football (soccer) journalism.

Nothing else but I hope to start contributing to more things once my kids are both at school. As I will have more money and time (at least, I hope).

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I subscribe to the online edition of The New Yorker. It's one of very few remaining places where long-form journalism still has a proper home.

I get the Kindle edition (do not enjoy reading long pieces on a laptop/phone) but I echo this.

Their recent pieces on the COVID response in the US, and the Capitol were fantastic.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The New York Times for daily news, though I'm frequently reminded of their cutting editors because I usually spot 1-2 errors each day. Subbed to The New Yorker for a time mostly for its fiction section, but since that was the only reason, I didn't keep it.

Back in high school it was print copies of The Economist and Foreign Affairs for FX, but I personally wasn't a fan of their editorial slants and didn't keep them past college. Haven't subbed to them online either.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The Washington Post. They may not quite hit the high points of the NYT, but they at least don't hit the low points of that paper either.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
NYT/WaPo - the political news they put out is too frequent, decent quality with good sourcing, and posted everywhere on the internet for me to not subscribe.
Otherwise, I'd be too frustrated with getting around the paywall all the time.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
The Athletic UK. Lots of in-sight información about sports and most noticeable, the Premier League. Super recommended if you are into football

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually thinking about a similar thread, but instead of online magazines, I was thinking if people subscribe to physical magazines these days?

I am thinking of picking up a sub on either GQ or Mens Health, but don't know which is the better one? A magazine combined with sort of political/entertainment news articles, fitness tips and so on. Anyone have a good insight on those? Or even a better option?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Cant say theres a single one out there I really need. Anything thats worth reading will eventually make its way out on via social media and websites. Look at Era here with Washington Post stuff. Its all paywalled but I get the juicy bits here.