• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this still doesn't seem to be up in the US.

At work though, so unable to check on my ps4.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
All souls games have issues with it,damn.
Yo, is this for real? Or is this sarcasm?

Because I really want to change my name, but not at the expense of it messing with my Soulsborne games.

They've legit become my favorite series the last two gens :/

Can't take that chance, brehs

Edit: If it does affect Souls games, thanks for the heads up. I think I'll wait until things get sorted.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It just doesn't affect PS3. So you log into your PS3 and everything is the same as it was.

It's been said in this thread tho that your ID does change on PS3. So what, PS3 games just work perfectly with the ID change while certain PS4 games don't, yet Sony says PS3 isn't supported? This is why I'm confused.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Because I really want to change my name, but not at the expense of it messing with my Soulsborne games.

They're in the minor issues category, which consists of this:

• Previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players, or the online ID is no longer visible in some areas in a game title (in-game rankings, leaderboards, etc). For some game titles, the online ID will automatically update if you sign out and then sign back in to the game or when various gameplay activity is performed after sign-in;
  • User accounts on PlayStation may be unlinked from game accounts. Linking accounts again may restore the original linkage; and
  • Certain game settings may be initialized to their default state (audio setting, controller setting, etc). For some game titles, settings may be recovered if you sign out and then sign back in to the game.
Extremly minor. At worst people might see your old name.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure all this issue is that it displays your old name in co-op.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Man, how fucked up their initial implementation must have been for this be the solution after all this time lol

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
They're in the minor issues category, which consists of this:

• Previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players, or the online ID is no longer visible in some areas in a game title (in-game rankings, leaderboards, etc). For some game titles, the online ID will automatically update if you sign out and then sign back in to the game or when various gameplay activity is performed after sign-in;
  • User accounts on PlayStation may be unlinked from game accounts. Linking accounts again may restore the original linkage; and
  • Certain game settings may be initialized to their default state (audio setting, controller setting, etc). For some game titles, settings may be recovered if you sign out and then sign back in to the game.
Extremly minor. At worst people might see your old name.
Ok thanks! A lot better than I feared.

I didn't want something crazy like lost dlc or progress.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Ok thanks! A lot better than I feared.

I didn't want something crazy like lost dlc or progress.
No problem! The only purchases that seem to be even remotely affected are some games with microtransactions (like in-game currency) and it being tied to the account name.

Even if there is an issue, Sony is letting you roll back to your previous name anytime, so you can pretty much negate any issue you run into.

Man, how fucked up their initial implementation must have been for this be the solution after all this time lol

Badly, BADLY fucked. Like, username as a primary key is such a horrible way to implement things. Even worse, because of legacy games / consoles, they still have to keep that shitty database intact. Hopefully when PS5 comes around and they eventually deprecate PSV / PS3 online, they can leave that shit behind.

Until then, this is pretty much their best method, unfortunately.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to change my username, but scared of the risk. I don't want to potentially lose any of my digital games :(

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's been said in this thread tho that your ID does change on PS3. So what, PS3 games just work perfectly with the ID change while certain PS4 games don't, yet Sony says PS3 isn't supported? This is why I'm confused.

Sony don't offer support, that's all they mean. The name change was reflected in every PS3 and Vita game I tried, and I haven't had any issues with previous gen games because of it.

I'm not saying there are no issues with certain games though, because that's not guaranteed, and that's what they mean when they say it isn't supported.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Surprised this still doesn't seem to be up in the US.

At work though, so unable to check on my ps4.
Just my theory, but with how they announced US as "today" and EU as "tomorrow" they might be waiting for either central Europe (in 2 hours) or UK (in 3 hours) to roll past midnight and then flip the switch for both US and EU at the same time.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sony don't offer support, that's all they mean. The name change was reflected in every PS3 and Vita game I tried, and I haven't had any issues with previous gen games because of it.

I'm not saying there are no issues with certain games though, because that's not guaranteed, and that's what they mean when they say it isn't supported.
So, in other words don't change your ID if you value your PS3 library until more data is collected by the community in regards to them? I ultimately didn't play any multiplayer games on PS3 really beyond Uncharted multiplayer, and the only DLCs I ever bought were for games I now own on other platforms. So I may just risk it.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They must've tied so much to your PSN name rather than an internal ID lol, what a joke.
That's exactly what they did. Which is mind boggling because most databases assign a unique ascending number as the primary key when you build them. Which means they essentially had to override that default. Hopefully whoever made that decision never gets a job as a DBO again.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

They used your actual username as your unique identifier. I can't fathom how whoever originally designed their systems thought this was a good idea. Games used your username string in their routines to identify you, stamp your data with, recognize your purchases, etc, If your username changes, the game no longer thinks it's you, so all that goes out the window. It's beyond fucked up.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Why do people keep bringing up these risks and scared that they might lose everything? Been seeing it all over twitter too, did I miss something?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Why do people keep bringing up these risks and scared that they might lose everything? Been seeing it all over twitter too, did I miss something?
Well, this line certainly didn't help things:

After changing your online ID, please check all your games immediately for data loss or disruption to gameplay. If you experience any issues, you can change back to a previous online ID without charge by contacting Customer Support (www.playstation.com/onlineid/help). Please be aware that changing back to a previous online ID may not fix all issues (for example, you may not recover all, or any, lost content, progress, and functionality.). We recommend that if you want to change back to a previous online ID, do so as soon as possible, because it may affect content, game progress, and functionality associated with your new online ID.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can't wait to get rid of my old ID ...

F*ck:
Demons Souls & Dark Souls are not on the list for games tested ... Even MGS4 is not on the list ....
Seems I have to wait for a name change a little longer ...

Last edited:

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Re-post.
Just my theory, but with how they announced US as "today" and EU as "tomorrow" they might be waiting for either central Europe (in 1.5 hours) or UK (in 2.5 hours) to roll past midnight and then flip the switch for both US and EU at the same time.
I could actually see them waiting for the later, less busy hours to launch regionally that way they're not slammed with requests all at once.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
@AskPlaystation on Twitter has repeated "this evening" several times.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that PSN will go down due to how many people will be logging in and sending name changes at once?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to get rid of my old ID ...

F*ck:
Demons Souls & Dark Souls are not on the list for games tested ... Even MGS4 is not on the list ....
Seems I have to wait for a name change a little longer ...

PS3 games are not affected apparently, enjoy! Also Dark Souls for PS4 may just show your old name online. That's about it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Edit: If it does affect Souls games, thanks for the heads up. I think I'll wait until things get sorted.

It will only show your old name in the game instead of the new one, that's the "issue".

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't tjink i will change my name, but the "old games might not work properly" makes no sence to me. Sure i'm not a programer, but if i play Splatterhouse from 2010 on my PS3 with a new game, what could happen? Why would my ID-change effect a single player game?

Again, not a programmer, just really curious.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't tjink i will change my name, but the "old games might not work properly" makes no sence to me. Sure i'm not a programer, but if i play Splatterhouse from 2010 on my PS3 with a new game, what could happen? Why would my ID-change effect a single player game?

Again, not a programmer, just really curious.
Literally nothing would happen to a single player game. The worst that might happen is an online game might not work as intended, in which case they are letting you roll back to your previous username which will take care of any issue

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Q: Do all games support online ID change?
A large majority of the most-played PS4 games that we tested support the feature. We recommend that you check this list of tested games before you make the actual change. PS3 and PS Vita games are not supported.
Thank you very much!
I am little bit unsure what "are not supported" means in this context. Maybe a "volonteer" can report what happened to those games after the name change with his account ;)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you very much!
I am little bit unsure what "are not supported" means in this context. Maybe a "volonteer" can report what happened to those games after the name change with his account ;)
PS3 and Vita will still show your old name. That's why old names aren't being freed up after name changes.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 and Vita will still show your old name. That's why old names aren't being freed up after name changes.
Not according to some people in this thread who have said PS3 DOES use your new name. Sure would like to know which is it. This thing was being publicly beta tested since November, why do we not have a solid answer?