• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the 25% of PlayStation users with "Shadow," "Naruto," and "Dark" in their PSNIDs can finally leave those embarrassing years behind if they haven't already made new accounts in shame!

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no games the critical issues but some in the identified issue but I can deal with theme so I'll do the name change

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Two of Naughty Dog's biggest games have issues so I'd think they would want to address this with a patch.
They're minor issues, though. If you look at what constitutes the issues for those games it's:

• Previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players, or the online ID is no longer visible in some areas in a game title (in-game rankings, leaderboards, etc). For some game titles, the online ID will automatically update if you sign out and then sign back in to the game or when various gameplay activity is performed after sign-in;
  • User accounts on PlayStation may be unlinked from game accounts. Linking accounts again may restore the original linkage; and
  • Certain game settings may be initialized to their default state (audio setting, controller setting, etc). For some game titles, settings may be recovered if you sign out and then sign back in to the game.
Those are extremely minimal and minor inconveniences at worst

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Finally, I hope they give tentative names to dead / abandoned accounts, now time to scrap the bottom of the barrel and find what can I use.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
They're minor issues, though. If you look at what constitutes the issues for those games it's:

• Previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players, or the online ID is no longer visible in some areas in a game title (in-game rankings, leaderboards, etc). For some game titles, the online ID will automatically update if you sign out and then sign back in to the game or when various gameplay activity is performed after sign-in;
  • User accounts on PlayStation may be unlinked from game accounts. Linking accounts again may restore the original linkage; and
  • Certain game settings may be initialized to their default state (audio setting, controller setting, etc). For some game titles, settings may be recovered if you sign out and then sign back in to the game.
Yes, I read that, but thanks for going out of your way to post it here!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings about simply rolling it out without having worked through the data loss/compatibility issues. The explanations in some parts of the official info still sound serious enough to give pause.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Some people seem to be overreacting hardcore. Some seem to be acting like every game has major issues. Not to mention the post says that you can revert to your old account for free to fix issues.

Q: What should I do if I encounter an issue by changing my online ID?
If you experience any issues while playing a game that is not on the list of tested games, we recommend that you revert back to your previous online ID that did not have those issues. Reverting back should resolve most issues.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I was hoping to change my name to "XXXBetaMaleAlphaKillaPussyHuntahAnimeTiddyLuva420XXX" but those issues are a huge Nope for me.

No trophies No life.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Oh no, I might have to sign back in or re-link accounts. NOT TAKING THE RISK.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

Ah, well if the "potential issues" in most games are as minor as this then I think the issue isn't as big as people are making it out to be. Still, will wait a bit before trying this and will go over the list later when I have more time.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Ah, well if the "potential issues" in most games are as minor as this then I think the issue isn't as big as people are making it out to be.
100% correct. Some people are making this out to be like they're going to wipe all your saves or delete all your purchases or blow up your PS4.

If I can't use my save files with my new ID they are more or less lost to me unless I roll back making the whole thing pointless. As I said I'll wait and see.

But it's only for some games released before April of last year AND it's only for games that haven't been tested, which is probably only a small amount of games. I mean, it's up to you whether or not to take the risk, but the possibility of it just seems extremely low.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If anyone wants to see how easy it is, we've done a video:

As for the issues, we did a test one a LONG time ago, and there's been absolutely no issues

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about the critical issue games. I have Everybody's Golf and Onrush, but own no DLC or premium currency for either, and only have an hour or so of playtime on both, though I do plan on playing them more in the future. I'm fine with losing save data for both as there isn't much to lose, but will I experience ongoing issues in the future with the games, or is it just a one time thing?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The list of critical games is small as hell, and I only 2 games on that list, none of which I've a save to worry about. I will change as soon as it goes live.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have a question about the critical issue games. I have Everybody's Golf and Onrush, but own no DLC or premium currency for either, and only have an hour or so of playtime on both, though I do plan on playing them more in the future. I'm fine with losing save data for both as there isn't much to lose, but will I experience ongoing issues in the future with the games, or is it just a one time thing?
More than likely just a one time thing. And, hopefully, Clap Hanz is working on a patch for it. I'd like to think they are, at least.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Some of you guys sometimes man lol

You can try it and worst case scenario roll back your id if it's that bad

HesienbergSHO

Banned
Dec 29, 2018
As someone else pointed out to me didn't we also get the first picture of a Black Hole today with PSN name changes?

Coincidence? I think not.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
good on them for making the first change free....i was seriously thinking they would charge.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

How would anyone know? The real thing isn't live. You'll just have to try or see if anyone else tries.

Happy this has come to be, but less than ideal risks.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Anyone knows how to check what IDs aren't available? Someone linked the myplaystation site earlier, but for some reason it'd bring me back to its homepage and not try to load a profile.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations to everyone who wanted this.
Like others here, I'm fine with mine.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So, just to be clear. The PS3 isn't supported, so I guess that means your old ID will just keep being used on PS3 with no chance of issues, right?

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm very curious about the potential problems with Bloodborne. I've already got all the trophies in the main game and Old Hunters, but I don't want my 150+ hours of save data messed with.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm very curious about the potential problems with Bloodborne. I've already got all the trophies in the main game and Old Hunters, but I don't want my 150+ hours of save data messed with.
Since it's on the list of games with minor issues, it's most likely that the other people online will see your old ID for summons and messages. It won't fuck with your save data

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Below are some of the issues you may encounter. We expect major issues to occur only in a small number of games.

• Your previous Online ID may remain visible to you and other players in some areas.
  • You may lose progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress towards Trophies.
  • Parts of your game and applications may not function properly both online and offline.
  • You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you may have acquired for your games including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
Good thing I made another account to change my name in 2016 because this shit is laughable.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I find it amusing that Everybody's Golf is one of the handful of Critical Issues games. But I haven't played it in quite a while, so if it does anything truly "bad" I'll just start over, I guess. I never bought anything for it, anyway.