• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
OK.

Now, can we get PSN account MERGERS since a lot of people went and created new accounts to change their names in the past? So we can combine our libraries into 1?

I need this feature since I have a child account when PS4 was released despite being over 18. Had to make a new account to make use of most of the share features and buy my own games. Lost everything from my old account.

Rubbed salt in when they allowed child accounts to be upgraded to masters like two years later.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There's no edit button by Online ID on the website, under the PSN Profile section..

Edit: Sony šŸ§

Last edited:

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
giphy.gif

Me waiting for this day

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I abandoned my old id at the start of the gen. This seems a little finicky, but it's good the option is there moving forward.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
We need a brave resetera pioneer to test this out and tell us what goes wrong?
I would do it, but at work and no edit option beside my profile name.

I gave my son my main PSN account and currently own nothing in this one and use it to play Destiny. My son had named this account when he was much younger and I absolutely need to change it

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the risks are understandable when you don't implement the name database in a manner that allow changes. I mean, it sucks to lose anything and I don't know if they could have prevented it but OVERALL, this is great news.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017
You're 100 percent on this yes? Even with old PS3 titles? I really don't want to lose my PS3/Vita trophies :/

You're not supposed to lose trophies, worst case scenario is you lose trophy PROGRESS. And that all depends on how they implemented the tracker for that progress, and i think the list of games that might be affected by that are in those few lists of which ones have which severity of identified issues.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Woooo, the day has finally come! I'm excited to be rid of the name I made as a kid, will be fervently waiting to see Digital Foundry's analysis (if they do one)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe that console manufacturers charge 10$ for name change and people are fine with it.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I made my PSN account for that mobile Watch_Dogs thing and have done nothing else with it. I also made a damn typo on my username, so I'll gladly change it since I've got nothing to lose.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I switched accounts about 2 years ago but I still play FFXIV with my old one. I'm curious if anyone knows if the name change is reflected there or not. The release date is very early but since it's an online-only game I'm wondering if they might have taken the steps to change it up (it's not listed as having issues, either, on that site)

dom

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, a lot of you don't read by stating that you can't edit your name right now. What part does "launches today" and in the first paragraph in the post "launches later today" don't you understand? It's not like it says OUT NOW or LIVE

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda sucks that us folk in Europe got to wait till tomorrow to change our names. The names we want could be gone by then.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not available in the Netherlands yet. At least not from the PSN account settings on PC. I've yet to buy a PS4 (might as well wait for PS5 I think), but my current ID from the PS3 era is kinda... dated, so very much looking forward to changing that for free.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lists of games with issues is quite small honestly. The list games with "critical" is even smaller and I'm not surprised it has games that have currency.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
You're not supposed to lose trophies, worst case scenario is you lose trophy PROGRESS. And that all depends on how they implemented the tracker for that progress, and i think the list of games that might be affected by that are in those few lists of which ones have which severity of identified issues.
Rad that makes me feel way better. As long as I can still earn them in older titles and I don't lose any then I risk nothing by changing my name.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Those details about how we may lose content are wild, I think I'll pass. Not sure how PSN works on the backend but with XBL, every player has a XUID (unique identifier) which is a random mess of characters that never changes, regardless of how many times your actual Gamertag changes. Your digital footprint on XBL is tied to that, rather than your Gamertag.

Clearly doesn't work this way on PSN though...gosh.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It would be cool if they surprise released abandoned names. It looks like you can change your name as many times as you want though, and can always revert to an old one. I.e., it seems as though no names will be made available.
That would be amazing. I can understand them not doing it for abandoned accounts that actually have purchases without warning, but they totally should for abandoned ones that have nothing.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I'm glad I chose a name I like.

Well, it's there if you hate your name so much, but people put too much importance on it anyway.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Sony still paying the price for mistakes done back in 2003/2004 when they started their online services. Unbelievable.

Sony's bizarre choices when they started PSN (and some choices they continue to make regarding UI design and download times/loading priority) are the reason Xbox is still my primary console platform. I've literally never had a significant issue with Xbox Live since signing up in 2003.

Meanwhile, my choice to make my PSN name on PSP back in the day by looking around my room at random objects is a permanent reminder that a diet soda and a ninja action figure occupied prominent positions on my bookshelf.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
Those details about how we may lose content are wild, I think I'll pass. Not sure how PSN works on the backend but with XBL, every player has a XUID (unique identifier) which is a random mess of characters that never changes, regardless of how many times your actual Gamertag changes. Your digital footprint on XBL is tied to that, rather than your Gamertag.

Clearly doesn't work this way on PSN though...gosh.

Database 101 calls for every record to have a unique number or identifier as a primary key. It seems like Sony set this to be your account name, which is really short sighted of them and, well, sloppy.

claussm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thule
I was excited because I sort of compromised w/ my PSN ID when I got a PS4 and wouldn't mind changing it. However, despite my low-key online presence, I'd really hate to lose shit from older games because of this. Is it just me, or did Microsoft have this perfected in 2005? Also, steam...

wtf Sony.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It's finally here, yes. Now i can change my uncreative name to another uncreative one :P