• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Thanks to Gematsu as always for the overview!

About

Reincarnation is the foundation of our way of life. We celebrate the lives we've been given, and offer up prayers for the next.
It is grief of death which shackles the living, and causes the dead to stray. Indeed, there is no greater affront to reincarnation.

So do we turn our grief to joy as we send off the dead.

But the souls of those who held back their tears in life still need salvation in death. A duty that falls to the Watchers.
Their task is to guide the wandering souls known as the Lost, and serve as keepers of the Living World and the Beyond.

The Watchers sever the bonds that tie the Lost to this world, and send them on to the next. They navigate the emotions of the living and the dead. They prize life above all else.

This is the story of one Watcher.

Key Features
  • Action RPG – Experience fast-paced, free-flowing gameplay with real time battles. Battle enemies taking advantage of the Daemons Battle System making use of a variety of exciting weapons.
  • Character Customization – Bind your hero, Kagachi with different Daemons to enhance his skills and abilities whilst in battle
  • Daemon Battle System – Strategize in battle by choosing a Daemon that matches the enemy's traits. Watch as Kagachi possess the Daemon power, entering a variety of states to increase attack levels.
  • Bold Graphics – Enjoy vivid graphics carefully drawn to convey the drastic contrast between the 'Living World' and the 'Beyond'.
  • EventsOninaki's powerful story is brought to life further through emotional cut scenes, events and intimate conversations

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Have it preordered / am looking forward to it. Even as someone who liked the demo a lot though, $77 AU on the PS Store felt like too much >.<

Oct 30, 2017
I pre-ordered the physical version for PS4 .... so excited Loved both Setsuna and Lost.

I hope this one becomes the breakthrough title for the team and sells a lot.

Redline23

Aug 18, 2019
Seeing the 2d artwork and then the chibi character model just make me wish this is a full AAA title with realistic proportions :(

The demo is pretty cool, the lore is pretty fucked up and I'm interested to see more of it.
I understand how you feel but unfortunately not all developers have the luxury to have AAA budget for their games, I imagine if they did I think we would have less Daemon to use, modelling and animating each Daemon in high detail is very costly.

Last edited:

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Getting Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together vibes from those portrait arts. Will buy this on Switch if the reviews are decent.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I understand how you feel but unfortunately not all developers have the luxury to have AAA budget for their games, I imagine if they did I think we would have less Daemon to use, modelling and animating each Daemon in high detail is very costly.
I'm okay with it, I really like the demo, the story and lore are interesting, died a couple times during boss battle, so the challenge is there for me. a friend of mine is also pretty hyped for this

my only concern is each realm have their own set of enemies and treasures. while it seem cool at first, it does feel repetitive having to explore the map twice to get everything.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It sure does. I don't think these devs will ever make a good rpg.
I feel like Tokyo RPG Factory should try going for 2d jrpg like old jrpg. people seem to like Octopath a lot, is 2d sprite more expensve than low poly 3d nowadays? one of my problem with these low poly 3d with top down camera is you can't really see you character face very well. in old jrpg, even though the camera is supposed to be top down view, the 2d character is more of side view and you can see their face and emotes pretty well.

in Oninaki, many of the characters and npc have similar looks. even worse that in the demo, they don't have character portrait during dialog. there are some NPC that I have to go to the menu, see character glossary, and switch the character 3d model to 2d artwork before I can see what they actually look like. they should have look at Tales games and have character portraits in various emote during dialog. its why, even though Oninaki seemingly have higher budget than Setsuna, it still feel like a low budget game.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I was enjoying the demo until a certain event with the main character and two parents. That's not something I support so I turned off the game and deleted the data.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I'll be buying day 1. The combat isn't doing it for me. Having to repeat every map twice also seems like a nuisance. And no music during battles, and the areas looking really boring also don't help.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I preordered the physical! shame we gotta jump through hoops to get it but better than nothing.

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
Apologies if this is not the appropriate thread, but when are Oninaki reviews dropping? The game's out tomorrow. I was tempted to buy the physical before it sells out, but a busy release window and lack of reviews is putting me off.