• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it nigh impossible for 2 and 3 to come out again because of the actors' rights?

Unless the actors had some manner of contract in place, I don't think so.

Typically, once a studio makes and releases a film they don't have to get permission from the actors to re-release it. I can't imagine a game being that different.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
On the fence about this, was initially really interested but seem to be getting hit with the same inertia that's always prevented me from playing onimusha games :|

It's perfect for the PS4 and is coming out January 15th.
It's perfect for the Xbox.
Perfect for my senses.
Perfect for the Discord Store.
Perfect for many platforms
Can't wait to replay it. Absolutely perfect for the PC.
Perfect for mobile, just like Alien Blackout

lol

For real though, can we please stop with "perfect for switch" folks? It's nonsensical.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
So I read a review that the JP version has full english text + voice support. Might as well get that, unless you have to use some weird credit card trick.

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't it nigh impossible for 2 and 3 to come out again because of the actors' rights?
I'm not sure, but it's not like games with actors in them haven't been rereleased before. How about Omikron which is currently on GOG? That has David Bowie in it. Or the Tex Murphy games that have James Earl Jones?

Jean Reno surely is not a megastar demanding billions for an old video game release.

Oct 27, 2017
On the fence about this, was initially really interested but seem to be getting hit with the same inertia that's always prevented me from playing onimusha games :|

lol

For real though, can we please stop with "perfect for switch" folks? It's nonsensical.

So what's wrong with people feeling that a game is perfect for the Switch? Who cares?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So what's wrong with people feeling that a game is perfect for the Switch? Who cares?

I mean... as evidenced by the thread, it gets trotted out constantly and has become a meme referenced both consciously and unconsciously. But more importantly, it just... means nothing. How is this game perfect for switch? Moreso than other consoles? It's a static camera action game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy switch owners are happy they're getting this game - I have a switch too, it's nice.

Anyways, back on topic - will wait for Era impressions on this one.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Onimusha series and I mean to replay all the games at some point. I actually did beat the original Onimusha on PS2 last year again and enjoyed it as much as I did back when it originally came out. That's also the reason why I'm happy it finally is receiving the HD remaster / port treament. But with the amount of other games I'm interested in coming out in the next week, it will have to wait until much later before I might grab it to replay it yet again. I hope the other titles will also get ported on modern systems.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Typically, once a studio makes and releases a film they don't have to get permission from the actors to re-release it. I can't imagine a game being that different.

Maybe I'm wrong.

The Onimusha likenesses seemed like a big business deal back in the day; I'm sure there are hurdles Capcom would have to go through. I always figured this is why Tatsunoko vs. Capcom featured Soki instead of Samanosuke or Jubei. They didn't re-use the actor who the Lost Planet pilot was based on in that game either.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I wasn't all that fond of Onimusha 1 or 2. Onimusha 3 however is among my top 5 PS2 games of all time. I'd definitely be down to re-experience that one.

It seemed like Oni3 immediately became the fan favorite of the franchise, which always made me go o_O. The feudal Japan setting was always the draw for me, the modern day time travel stuff was a total turn off. I even liked DoD more than 3.

Anyway, curse you OP for making me think it was coming out tomorrow. Made me run to check my pre-order status for nothing!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I still say the game should've come out in December or earlier in January. But at least the 15th and the short nature of the game is more than ample time to get your money's worth before RE2.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
It seemed like Oni3 immediately became the fan favorite of the franchise, which always made me go o_O. The feudal Japan setting was always the draw for me, the modern day time travel stuff was a total turn off. I even liked DoD more than 3.

Yeah the time travel stuff and the France setting was weird but I still enjoyed 3 a lot. It is probably my favorite in the series.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Onimusha 2 is easily the best game in the franchise from a gameplay perspective. I like Onimusha 3 but the bait and switch of the teaser trailer at the end of Onimusha 2 compared to the actual game left me terribly disappointed.

Jean Reno (Jacque), Henri and Michelle added nothing to the game. The plot was nonsensical (wouldn't it have made more sense to travel back in time and assist Fortinbras in killing Samanosuke and Jubei rather than forward in time where the genma for all intents and purposes, had been eliminated), the graphics were a downgrade compared to Onimusha 1 & 2 (likely due to the inclusion of rendered backgrounds) and the tone and enemy design were steps back. Worst of all, you couldn't fight Gargant and there's no exposition into his relationship with Samanosuke (you learn about his origins and murder of Kaede through other media).

Onimusha 3 did have a large assortment of weapons, the ZoE2 styled battle and saw the conclusion of the Nobunaga saga so there's that and it was better than Dawn of Dreams (which is by far the worst game in the franchise). I hope Capcom is working on a next gen launch title that's a continuation of the series.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I will be getting it when it's released. Never been one to shout to the roof about such things though.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone know how much the game is gonna be in the UK? Can't seem to find the price when I checked before.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I was expecting from seeing the US price, thanks.

Got £50 argos voucher from work coming so was gonna pick up RE2 and use the last £10 towards this so £10 on top isn't bad.

Buying Resident Evil 2 and Onimusha.

SpotlessRightCavy-size_restricted.gif

lol.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017

lol

But it's perfect for nonsense.

I'm tempted to pick this up but I'd rather wait for a sale or see if they eventually do a bundle with the others. Looking forward to hearing impressions though, and hope it sells well enough to get the others out. Never played 4, or 2 unless I'm misremmebeing and I heard people really like that one.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mostly straight port of an old-ass game (that IMO isn't all that great). What kind of reception were you expecting? Should've been a trilogy pack.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Switch for my perfect.

But I want to buy this and beat it before RE2. Have a little Capcom month for myself.
But with my backlog it's hard to justify buying more games as is.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything that the first Onimusha does better than its two sequels?
It has better atmosphere but it'd be odd for a prequel to do things better (mechanically speaking) than its successors. Sure examples exist, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule. Also Onimusha probably has some of the best lore in gaming. I think the sequels detracted from it in ways but still it has great mythos.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I've only ever played Onimusha 3, so I'm looking forward to this. It's going to be perfect for my electrically powered electronic device.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Onimusha was the 2nd game I ever bought on PS2, and I loved it. Absolutely brilliant game. I'm tempted to pick it up again and play through it.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Typically, once a studio makes and releases a film they don't have to get permission from the actors to re-release it.

They don't need their permission, but they may (and often do) need to pay them to continue to re-release/syndicate their work, depending on the original contracts issued.

Movie and TV studios supply actors with residual royalties indefinitely, in some cases for the rest of their lives and beyond, and the videogames industry is no different.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
No physical release for the Switch in the west means i'll just wait till it gets discounted on Amazon JP some, or I get something else to bundle with it. Not interested in a digital-only release here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'm down for this a bit later, Ace Combat that same week and RE the next, as well as my vow to spend less on games did not work in Onimusha's favor. Was tempted to get it on the switch though during christmas but new consoles are for new games!

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My jp copy arrived today. The box is very nice. The soundtrack is in a basic case but its great. Totally put my fears to rest about it not having the original ost.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe I'm wrong.

You've got to remember, this was videogames in the PS2 era. They had hilariously shortsighted minds then. This is why for instance, Onimusha 3 was removed from Steam a couple years ago, they lost the rights to Jean Reno's likeness, and why many games end up being sometimes temp removed to replace music or brands (or aren't ever re-released at all).

Movie business had been dealing with rereleasing content for ages and so were better prepared. They weren't as prepared when it came to TV shows, hence why a lot of shows never saw DVD or digital releases, or had to have a lot of music changed like the Wonder Years.

Contracts these days are a lot more forward thinking, but back then they didn't imagine a world where their games were selling 5, 10 years later.

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. This and ATV off-road fury were the first games I bought for my ps2 in spring 2001. Definitely getting this but it doesn't come out tomorrow, it comes out Tuesday.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything that the first Onimusha does better than its two sequels?
As someone who likes the entire franchise for the most part, my feeling is that it is definitely the least ambitious game in the franchise but also probably (precisely because it's just dipping its toes in the water) the most tonally coherent and the least flawed.

By 'least flawed' I mean it doesn't have Onimusha 2's execrable gift-giving minigame, Onimusha 3's multiple extremely ugly/boxy environments (and weird-ass tone with the time travel stuff), or Onimusha 4's seriously downgraded & grindy combat.

I think every single one of those games has a bunch of things they do *better* than the original, but "least flawed" can still be a thing.