• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Maybe I was just too young to appreciate it at the time, but this game is better then I remember. I'm having a really good time. Though fuck that water puzzle and roof top boss camera.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The only thing I'll say that this remaster has over the original release is definitely the soundtrack. The music felt somewhat more epic but what we've been given is still good though.
Yeah, I quite like the soundtrack, quite a few memorable tracks. I can't remember the original soundtrack, though, I'll need to go back and listen to it.

Anyway, about to S rank it. Only two more trophies after that, one for not upgrading anything or using jewels, and the other for not using any health items. Will take a bit more patience those ones.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I quite like the soundtrack, quite a few memorable tracks. I can't remember the original soundtrack, though, I'll need to go back and listen to it.

Anyway, about to S rank it. Only two more trophies after that, one for not upgrading anything or using jewels, and the other for not using any health items. Will take a bit more patience those ones.
Hoho! I haven't used any jewels or health items so I'll get those trophies but I've upgraded the weapons and orbs. On my next playthrough I'll just do a run through with the sword and my speed run with the Bishamon.

Was there any particular reason Capcom changed the soundtrack? Seems like an odd change to make. Glad the English voices didn't change up in the enhancement.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Here's comparison to Samanosuke Theme, I don't mind this one but still prefer original. It's the last boss theme I I don't like as much in the remaster where as the original has a build up leading to the fight. Original music gives a more samurai vibe.

Remaster

Original

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of that, bishamon sword ftw.
It's cool in the sense that all previous elements were represented and we got some new ones added as well. Idk what game had better weapons though, Onimusha 2 or Onimusha 3. Chigo, Kuga and Tenso + Raizen, Ennryu and Shippu might be better than Rekka Ken, Burraito, Senpumaru, Hyojinyari, and Dokoutsui.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Think out of all the weapons in Onimusha my favorite is Ennryu, just love the design. I didn't play 2 as much back in the day so not sure what my favorite would be, probably Hyoujin-Yari and in 3 I would say Kuga.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hoho! I haven't used any jewels or health items so I'll get those trophies but I've upgraded the weapons and orbs. On my next playthrough I'll just do a run through with the sword and my speed run with the Bishamon.

Was there any particular reason Capcom changed the soundtrack? Seems like an odd change to make. Glad the English voices didn't change up in the enhancement.
I was going to do it on this playthrough, but then I remembered you can only do it on Normal.

Also, I think it was because the original composer used a ghost writer. I think they also changed some of the VA too, but could be wrong.
Here's comparison to Samanosuke Theme, I don't mind this one but still prefer original. It's the last boss theme I I don't like as much in the remaster where as the original has a build up leading to the fight. Original music gives a more samurai vibe.

Remaster

Original
Ah yeah, I do like that a little more.

Oct 31, 2017
The entire series is like that, with peak cheese being the english dub on Oni 2. You better hope there is a japanese audio option for that one. The story in the games definitely never lived up to the opening cut scenes.

Onimusha 2 has some reallllllyyyy cheesy and super-anime moments but I would say 3 is by far and away the cheesiest. It was the only story of the 4 that I didn't enjoy at all. The others have lots of cool/memorable cutscenes to make up for it. 3 just has the opening and the rest is crap

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot how much I used to love this game. PS2/GameCube era was amazing. I'm keep surprising myself every time I remember a line word for word.

A new Onimusha better be up next.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Onimusha 2 has some reallllllyyyy cheesy and super-anime moments but I would say 3 is by far and away the cheesiest. It was the only story of the 4 that I didn't enjoy at all. The others have lots of cool/memorable cutscenes to make up for it. 3 just has the opening and the rest is crap
What about the battle where you fight hundreds of Genma? I think Onimusha 3 is 2nd to worst, only surpassed by Onimusha; Dawn of Dreams but yea, it dropped the ball hard compared to that teased ending at the climax of Onimusha 2. It read as if Sam and Jubei would meet and clash somehow, but maybe I'm basing that in part with the inscription of something you can read in the room where you get the Bishamon Sword in Onimusha 1.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to do it on this playthrough, but then I remembered you can only do it on Normal.

Also, I think it was because the original composer used a ghost writer. I think they also changed some of the VA too, but could be wrong.
Ah yeah, I do like that a little more.
Fuck, that guy messed it up for everybody. But I mean, what's the harm in a ghost writer so as long as they were paid and don't have any complaints? Doesn't change the fact that the music was good. Well good to know. I remember reading about that here but I didn't know that composer was responsible for some of the music in the original Onimusha release.

Also does anyone know what was different in Genma Onimusha compared to this one? Never played Genma but people keep saying that they should've remastered that one as opposed to the PS2 release.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Fuck, that guy messed it up for everybody. But I mean, what's the harm in a ghost writer so as long as they were paid and don't have any complaints? Doesn't change the fact that the music was good. Well good to know. I remember reading about that here but I didn't know that composer was responsible for some of the music in the original Onimusha release.

Also does anyone know what was different in Genma Onimusha compared to this one? Never played Genma but people keep saying that they should've remastered that one as opposed to the PS2 release.
Read this: http://onimusha.wikia.com/wiki/Genma_Onimusha:

There were so many good extras, it is a shame it wasn't the version that got remastered.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read this: http://onimusha.wikia.com/wiki/Genma_Onimusha:

There were so many good extras, it is a shame it wasn't the version that got remastered.
Cool, thanks. I saw that the magical attacks can be charged now, which is pretty cool. It's similar to the inclusion of charged special attacks in Onimusha 2 but I would've liked if this made a return too. That Tower Guardian boss fight looked good as well. Yea, I would've been in favor of this getting ported over instead. Not sure how I'd cope with not using any curatives or enhancers when green souls make enemies faster and stronger though. I'm trying tom get to the bottom of the Dark Realm without any curatives so I can get the trophy and its a pain in the ass. I've died at least 7 times.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I think I'm in a minority that likes Onimusha 3 the best. I loved going through France as Sam and Japan as Jacque. Seeing past-Sam with all of his Onimusha 1 weapons was awesome too.

Oct 31, 2017
What about the battle where you fight hundreds of Genma? I think Onimusha 3 is 2nd to worst, only surpassed by Onimusha; Dawn of Dreams but yea, it dropped the ball hard compared to that teased ending at the climax of Onimusha 2. It read as if Sam and Jubei would meet and clash somehow, but maybe I'm basing that in part with the inscription of something you can read in the room where you get the Bishamon Sword in Onimusha 1.

I replayed all 4 games last year and I genuinely do not understand peoples' hatred for Dawn of Dreams. Outside of Minokichi there isn't anything super anime about the game and the story is far more grand/"epic" than the others in the series. *shrugs*

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It has the worst Issen in the series and that's one of the main reasons I play onimusha games.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I replayed all 4 games last year and I genuinely do not understand peoples' hatred for Dawn of Dreams. Outside of Minokichi there isn't anything super anime about the game and the story is far more grand/"epic" than the others in the series. *shrugs*
Yea...nah. Agree to disagree I guess. Dawn of Dreams completely abandons the formula and emulates DMC moreso than Onimusha itself. The game is crazy easy in terms of doing criticals compared to the prior games with the inclusion of magic criticals and such.

It has the worst Issen in the series and that's one of the main reasons I play onimusha games.
Fuckin truth right here! Thank You

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The English version of Dawn of Dreams was tuned out of whack. You get too few red souls to power up the weapons you find, so you constantly have underpowered weapons, knowing that you'll just get a new one in a little bit anyway.

The JP version is superior in this regard.

Oct 31, 2017
Yea...nah. Agree to disagree I guess. Dawn of Dreams completely abandons the formula and emulates DMC moreso than Onimusha itself. The game is crazy easy in terms of doing criticals compared to the prior games with the inclusion of magic criticals and such.

Fuckin truth right here! Thank You

I couldn't care less about Issens so I guess that explains our difference of opinion lol

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think DoD held my interest long enough to beat the game. I remember quitting pretty soon after getting Ohatsu because it made everything ridiculously easy.

Been playing Warlords but I kinda feel like this isn't tuned for non tank controls. Hasn't been difficult so far and I just got Enryu.

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Tank controls with the switch d-pad is horrendous. I like them with a proper d-pad, I replayed re-make and RE4 in the PS4 with the d-pad and had no problems at all...maybe I need to give them more time...

BTW, am I supposed to backtrack to the treasure chests with questions once I find the corresponding diary, right? I found the first chest and only had the first diary and they don't seem to be related at all....

Techno