• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
I'm surprised that I don't miss the old soundtrack at all so far. Come at me.

The visuals looks so crisp compared to my memory of them. The combat is...much easier, but still feels really good to play. I'm gonna enjoy the smooth sailing while I can because the water trap puzzle is coming up soon.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first playthrough + Oni Spirits. It wasn't very long ago that I replayed the whole series but I always have such a good time with them. I really like the new soundtrack as well, probably more than the original.

Still, it's such a shame that this isn't Genma. it really does have a lot of cool things that this version doesn't. At the very least they could have added the cutscene skip! Really kills replay value.

Ah well, I guess it's good that they even remember this series at all. Hopefully the rest will come eventually.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Genma Onimusha was released on the original Xbox. It was like a director cut of sorts with extra content.

From Wikipedia:

Onimusha: Warlords was ported to the Xbox in 2002 under the title Genma Onimusha. It was announced by Capcom in May 2001 with the company expecting to be released by late 2001.[14] The Xbox version contains many updates to the game including enhanced graphics, new 5.1 Dolby Digital audio, new explorable areas, a new boss, new costumes and body armor, changes in enemy placements, and a three-tier charge attack to each weapon.

Additionally, the inclusion of green souls adds a new dimension to the game. When five green souls are in the player's possession, the player can activate temporary invulnerability with a slow health recharge. Players frequently have to enter tug-of-war scenarios with the enemies over the possession of green souls; if a green soul is absorbed by a demon, the demon will gain new attacks and they will also see a dramatic increase in their defense. They will also release a greater number of souls upon death.
Wow. I was looking forward to playing this for the first time but missing out on all this extra content is pretty awful.

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
Is anyone in the UK able to play on the switch yet? Mine is still saying it's not available to play :/

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Ok fuck it, I'm going to buy this right now. I needed a new game to play but couldn't decide between this, okami, and hyper light drifter. I love old style survival horrors so I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this given that all the impressions so far seem positive.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
There's no legal mess. It wasn't stolen, it was just ghostwritten.
I have no idea if Samuragochi being exposed as a fraud had any impact on the copyrights he held for "his" music, but looking at the original Warlords and Genma manual/boxes, it seems the original soundtrack for Onimusha was copyrighted to him and not Capcom (unlike the later Onimusha games), so it's understandable why Capcom opted to go with new soundtrack instead of having to deal with Samuragochi.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ah damn, I bought it lol. I just have to support these old survival (horror) games with fixed camera angles.

edit: does this game have replay value? I can't remember any unlockables.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
So I see no release date on Steam and I haven't gotten my code from GreenManGaming yet...

Is there any news I'm missing regarding this game?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a few more switch details. I had the ps4 version pre ordered but canceled it hoping that the switch version is decent.

Oct 31, 2017
Have this downloading on PSN and my Xbox Version will be here tomorrow.
No one can say I didn't help the cause.

The day Dino Crisis Rebirth is released, how many copies will you buy ?

Will you gift one to me ? :D

Dragons Dogma is getting a physical release in the west.

Not the west then, only in the US ! :P

And the reversible cover for Onimusha is awesome too.

I love it !

North America box art.

81pfIEzn-lL._AC_SX430_.jpg

51PqMGKooBL.jpg

European box arts.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I didn't really look into any details on this game since its announcement.

I bought all four of the games as they came out on PS2 way back in the day, beat each one a few times and never returned. Eventually, I offloaded most of my PS2 collection, including the Onimusha games, but as soon as I saw the Ico+Shadow of the Colossus collection make its way to PS3, Onimusha was a game I always wished would get similar treatment, so as I've said before -- I've wanted Onimusha to get remastered since the PS3 days.

That said, I haven't even watched playthrough videos since then, and the most prominent thing in my memory from the series is that I absolutely LOVE the opening cinematic for 3 and to this day I still consider it one of my personal favorite videogame cinematics ever.

Going back into this version, I won't remember what the soundtrack to the first game was like, and I can only vaguely recall the way the game actually plays, so I'm interestingly enough going in as a long-lapsed fan that's been waiting for a remaster/port/remake for over a decade but hasn't actually actively played or seen Onimusha played in more than that time. That kind of makes me MORE excited, not less, especially since I re-acclimated to tank controls and kind of renewed an appreciation (but not necessarily a preference) for them with REmake and RE2-Classic replays. I know that Onimusha (and the latest release of REmake) sport modern controls but I'll be opting for the old tank controls.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Yikes at the water room puzzle section with an unskippable cutscene every time you fail. That shit was brutal.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Buying this as soon as I get home. Time to bring this series back Capcom.

Water puzzle and Dark Realm here we come!

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Call me a heratic, but I don't know better. I played maybe 2 hours of this series after the fourth title released, I think, the one with Jean Reno... But I was so turned off by the lack of a jump button, there was no way I could continue. How wrong was I?

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Loved Onimusha 1 & 2 on the PS2, so I've been pretty excited for this. I wasn't aware of or been spoiled with the Genma updates, but reading up on it it's a shame that they weren't included. Hopefully this means there will be an Onimusha 2 remaster in the future!

By the way: While I hate Capcom for their release policy, I like their releases. Especially the japanese versions. The reversible cover for Okami (Switch version) is awesome. And the reversible cover for Onimusha is awesome too.

I've been debating whether or not to go physical with Onimusha and Okami, and the cover art sold me. I love that some of these Japanese physical releases include English.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call me a heratic, but I don't know better. I played maybe 2 hours of this series after the fourth title released, I think, the one with Jean Reno... But I was so turned off by the lack of a jump button, there was no way I could continue. How wrong was I?

Completely. It's Resident Evil in Feudal Japan, there's no need for further explanation!

Oct 27, 2017
Never played this series when it was originally released, thinking about picking up the switch version, this has tank controls right? How accessible do you guys think this will be to someone like me who hasnt touched anything with tank controls since the old resident evils / dino crisis games?

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that sounds good. I take it this is the title with which to start?

Indeed, this was the first game, so no better place to start. Seriously though, you gotta understand this is an almost 20 year old game. It has tank controls and that's kind of an acquired taste these days, even if you have more modern controls, like the ones found in the Resident Evil remake.

If you like early Resident Evil titles, this feels like those (character control feels like RE3) but more action oriented. If you're on a tight budget, you need to know that it's not a very long game.

Otherwise, I replayed the original PS2 version a couple of months back and it holds up pretty well.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Indeed, this was the first game, so no better place to start. Seriously though, you gotta understand this is an almost 20 year old game. It has tank controls and that's kind of an acquired taste these days, even if you have more modern controls, like the ones found in the Resident Evil remake.

If you like early Resident Evil titles, this feels like those (character control feels like RE3) but more action oriented. If you're on a tight budget, you need to know that it's not a very long game.

Otherwise, I replayed the original PS2 version a couple of months back and it holds up pretty well.
Classic RE is best RE in my eyes. This has me sold for whenever I get around to it!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Heard about this series long ago but never got to play it. As a big fan of classic Resident Evil games I'm excited by anything that is like them. Will definitely be getting this on PS4 eventually.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the games back in the day, and I always thought these were character action games that predated the character action renaissance of DMC3. Are these more survival horror? I see that they have tank controls but is it a miserable character action game with tank controls or just a tank control survival horror game with a bit more combat?

Oct 31, 2017
I have no idea if Samuragochi being exposed as a fraud had any impact on the copyrights he held for "his" music, but looking at the original Warlords and Genma manual/boxes, it seems the original soundtrack for Onimusha was copyrighted to him and not Capcom (unlike the later Onimusha games), so it's understandable why Capcom opted to go with new soundtrack instead of having to deal with Samuragochi.

It's not that they don't want to deal with that composer, they just can't as that OST is forever tainted by what happened then and Capcom certainly doesn't want to deal with a shit storm they can easily dodge.

Very wrong. There's no need to jump in those games, why would you want a jump button ?

But it's ok as now you can start with the first one ! :P

Damn, that sounds good. I take it this is the title with which to start?

Indeed !

And it's RE with magic swords instead of guns ;)

Never played this series when it was originally released, thinking about picking up the switch version, this has tank controls right? How accessible do you guys think this will be to someone like me who hasnt touched anything with tank controls since the old resident evils / dino crisis games?

10 minutes and you'll be good to go !

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I never played the games back in the day, and I always thought these were character action games that predated the character action renaissance of DMC3. Are these more survival horror? I see that they have tank controls but is it a miserable character action game with tank controls or just a tank control survival horror game with a bit more combat?
Well it's pretty much in RE in Japan. More survival than action.

Huh? I've skipped two of the opening cutscenes already. Options button on PS4.

Wait, really? Why is everyone saying there's no skip option? :D

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Wait, so is the game only tank controls, or not? I'm seeing some reviews saying it's only tank controls, and others are saying it has more modern "push the direction you want to go" controls.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, so is the game only tank controls, or not? I'm seeing some reviews saying it's only tank controls, and others are saying it has more modern "push the direction you want to go" controls.

There are tank controls and also directional controls with the analog sticks.

Stayed sick at home today, nothing better to cure my fever than a full run through this game.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Hi. I want to ask some opinios here. I want to play the HD port of the first Onimusha. How is the game? similar in concept to what kinda of game?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
whats the deal with enhancements? the orbs description makes it sound like its for locked door (enhance this orb to break stronger seals) so one would assume thats more important?