• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
If we are talking about concerts, OWA has been played hundreds of time, FFT has not been featured a single time. Now Distant Worlds is making a FFVII-only symphonic concert, as if FFVII has ever been *not* featured in every oftheir concert to begin with. And we're just talking OWA, they are actually very close from having featured every FFVII tracks with two decades of arrangements.

This makes me so sad. Final Fantasy Tactics was *made* with orchestral arrangements in mind, it was built for it. Arrangers could build and harness the inherent beauty of those compositions and enhance them beyond belief, much more than any FF game. It has been two decades now, there haven't been a single thing, not a track, nada.

FFT was the most sold Strategy RPG for two decades, even Fire Emblem didn't surpass it until late FE Fates sales/Three Houses. Its prize for it success? Being forgotten and ignored.

Don't tell me only a few people would LOVE to sit down in a concert hall and listen the beauty of FFT's music. So many people grew up with it, it has been the inspiration for a ton of people to enter the game industry in the first place. People would go to the end of the world just to have the chance to listen to it live.

Just listening to this track, remembering all the time I spent farming JP in random battles free of worries and with all the time in the world makes me go like this

1582028250711t0ka9.jpg

And the battle themes?? The power of these battle themes were enough to make you invested in ways few strategy RPGs managed to replicate. Trisection was the first battle theme you heard in the game. One single track was enough to set the tone of the game and make you tell "oh shit, this isn't your regular FF, I can feel it"

And the character themes are some of the most powerful I've heard. Hearing Ovelia's theme is enough to make me go into an episode of deep sadness. It perfectly encapsulated the state of every character.

"Did you get your end in all of this, Ramza? I...I got this."

We can't let FFT die like that, just left into the dust. If we can't get the prequel Matsuno wanted, or even a port of the original game, at least acknowledge its existence and its wildly acclaimed soundtrack with a concert.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Vagrant Story has better music, IMO, but yeah, some sort of FFT suite/medley at some point would be lovely.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most popular and well known songs in the series history gets played at concerts a lot.

News at 11.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly ff6s final boss theme preceded it and it's better. But you know SEF I ROTH...!

Also a hhuuuge shame FFT OSTs are left by the wayside. Wtf.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I agree. It's an incredibly underloved-by-SE soundtrack. When someone finally goes wild and makes a suite out of it, it's going to be wonderful.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah I feel like Hitoshi Sakimoto's music doesn't get as much love as Uematsu's or even Hamauzu/the XIII trilogy in general.

I think it's because there seems to be a lack of recognizable melodies even though his musical style is synonymous with Ivalice/Matsuno games.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Sorry Sakimoto fans, but the FFT OST just doesn't have a lot of popularity pull with the FF masses it seems.
Honestly, I think I can only remember two songs: the opening and the music played when you are on the map. Then again, Sakimoto OSTs are generally pretty forgettable to me anyway.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
These concerts pick tracks primarily based on popularity rather than quality of music, as far as I can tell, and Final Fantasy VII has sold like five times as many copies of Tactics and is easily one of the top two most popular games in the franchise (if not simply the most popular). Distant Worlds, in particular, is primarily an Uematsu concert, so it's not often going to have music from a game composed by somebody else. Having a Final Fantasy VII-only concert also makes a lot of sense when Square is about to release a remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Personally, I can't say I care that Sakimoto is less popular or that I disagree with the popular sentiment. I think his Final Fantasy Tactics OST is inferior to many of Uematsu's Final Fantasy soundtracks (between IV and X's OSTs, I'd say only Final Fantasy V's OST is worse than Tactics').

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I feel like the FFXII soundtrack is the direct heir of the FFT OST, and it's been covered by Distant World

(also Dalmasca's Eastersand is one of the best musics ever created among all the FF games)

So, I don't know, maybe hope's permitted.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I love the Tactics soundtrack!

Also.. anyone else think Birth of a God is better than One-Winged Angel? đź‘€

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one Distant World's I went to in London was amazing but was indeed VII heavy, especially in the second half. It didn't ruin the night or anything but it was one of those 'eh I'd have picked this song or that song instead'. However the most recent show in London (that was I think last year) was one I didn't go to and I was honestly glad because the ENTIRE second half was VII music. Now I don't hate VII's ost (far from it) but an entire half of it is complete overkill. But yeah, they always favour VII stuff given its popularity. It sucks given the rest of the series has some amazing tracks but it is what it is.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Like I get why it's important to hit the most popular and desired tracks, but one thing I hate about Arrange Albums or Symphonic sets is to ignore anything even SLIGHTLY wayside of what's big and popular (there's so few surprises).

Also, forreal, FFT music done symphony style would make me so fucking happy.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
These concerts pick tracks primarily based on popularity rather than quality of music, as far as I can tell, and Final Fantasy VII has sold like five times as many copies of Tactics and is easily one of the top two most popular games in the franchise (if not simply the most popular). Distant Worlds, in particular, is primarily an Uematsu concert, so it's not often going to have music from a game composed by somebody else. Having a Final Fantasy VII-only concert also makes a lot of sense when Square is about to release a remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Personally, I can't say I care that Sakimoto is less popular or that I disagree with the popular sentiment. I think his Final Fantasy Tactics OST is inferior to many of Uematsu's Final Fantasy soundtracks (between IV and X's OSTs, I'd say only Final Fantasy V's OST is worse than Tactics').
I disagree, I think FFT's soundtrack is brilliant and stands tall among its peers without shame.

The range and composition on this battle theme. You can feel the weight of the battle from the music alone. The story was just a bonus to make it feel even better.

Cool, OWA deserves it.
After two decades, other games should get their time to shine because they equally deserve it. OWA is never going to leave anyway.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I hate Tactics music now that it's associated with the Rabanastre FFXIV raids. Nightmares still.

Nov 17, 2017
Sakimoto is the greatest composer ever to grace the Final Fantasy series. Yeah, I said it.

I'm guessing the reason you get stuff like One Winged Angel so much is because it invokes the "OMG SEPHIROTH!!!" reaction.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree, I think FFT's soundtrack is brilliant and stands tall among its peers without shame.

The range and composition on this battle theme. You can feel the weight of the battle from the music alone. The story was just a bonus to make it feel even better.

After two decades, other games should get their time to shine because they equally deserve it. OWA is never going to leave anyway.

I know, I'm just being an ass. I love Tactics and if I ever got a chance to actually see one of these concerts live I'd love for them to have a really broad selection of music, and not just play the familiar safe choices.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Distant Worlds in particular has never featured anything but the numbered games so I'm not surprised.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
The one Distant World's I went to in London was amazing but was indeed VII heavy, especially in the second half. It didn't ruin the night or anything but it was one of those 'eh I'd have picked this song or that song instead'. However the most recent show in London (that was I think last year) was one I didn't go to and I was honestly glad because the ENTIRE second half was VII music. Now I don't hate VII's ost (far from it) but an entire half of it is complete overkill. But yeah, they always favour VII stuff given its popularity. It sucks given the rest of the series has some amazing tracks but it is what it is.
I get your frustration but it's because they're in the midst of the FFVII hype in the run up to the release (I also went). It's a shame they didn't advertise this upfront as I imagine a lot of people were in your shoes too.

I think something like Distant Worlds is always going to have the same core rotation. It's a business at the end of the day which is a darn shame for the slightly less popular tracks/games. They're always going to go for the same tracks to bring in the crowds.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The time and effort that goes into rehearsing these productions is immense. Unfortunately, it's likely not financially feasible to play to anything but the most popular, ticket-selling music.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
I merely talked about over-representation. I like OWA a lot, but I also like other FF games and I think popularity should not be the only metric, because every FF is popular to begin with.
I agree with you. Some of the other posts in here follow that tiresome Hurr hurr FF7 is overrated trope. It's not.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Blame the fans for crowing about that one song when there's a whole series with so much great music. If they keep playing it it's because that's what people want to hear

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sakimoto's record for the franchise is not of my tastes. I really hope they don't go with him for FF XVI.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Imma be real with you. I can't name or hum a single track from Tactics. Also One Winged Angel is popular, breaking news.

Weeaboom

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
I love one winged angel, and most of all is variations.

However, FF Tactics soundtrack is criminally underrated.

I suppose that a lot of folks are more familiar with the FF7 soundtrack as a majority of those individuals have probably never played FFT. (Which is also criminal.. :)