• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Covid has lead to too much free time on our hands in Canada, leading to this funny exchange. For those not in the know, Pizza Pizza is one of the biggest pizza brands in the country between their Pizza Pizza and Pizza 73 locations. They are a bit... controversial here however, much like Dominos was back in the day. When someone tweeted their opinion that, effectively, Pizza Pizza is the only good pizza, it lit the internet on fire. It's chronicled in this Twitter Story here.

"A controversial take reignites the Canadian pizza wars 🍕" https://twitter.com/i/events/1261315585285083138"

Now we have Youtubers, Newscasters, Radio Personalities and Tweeters all engaging in the great pizza debate.

Where do I lie in this? Honestly, Pizza Pizza is the McDonald's of the Pizza World, the Alexander Keith's of the Pizza World, etc. It does the trick and is competent enough to be better than some of the lower tier chains (I personally am not big on Little Caesars for example and the less said about Sbarro, the better), but it is far from my first choice. Still, in many cases it is the only, and it does the trick.

The local franchise is also operated by some good blokes and is super clean so points there. That said, I prefer Pizza Hut and Dominos, and I have a soft spot for "shitty" pizza (Before Covid I dined on Clam Chowder pizza at the place that regularly conditionally passes its health inspections and has a hole in the roof over the dining area because it is cheap and delicious. Sue me), so it doesn't really stand out. I will still take it in a heartbeat over Delissio (or as Americans know it: Digiorno) which is probably among the most vile pizza ever.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pizza Pizza is the lowest tier canadian chain, the only thing to their credit is their store hours.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm as Canadian as a hockey playing Beaver that can quote every episode of Trailer Park Boys, and Domino's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>actual literal garbage>>>>>>>Pizza Pizza

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is it controversial as in whether the pizza is good or not or controversial as in papa john's racist ass controversial

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Pizza Pizza is only tolerable is you drench it in dipping sauce. Spicy cheddar or creamy garlic for me personally. It's cardboard otherwise.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Pizza Pizza isn't actually just the Canadianized name for Little Caesar's? Huh.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Domino's is trash-tier.

Pizza Nova is the top of the mega chains, with Amato and Pizza Iolo serving as the "high end" chains. Pizza Pizza is the last of the "low end" chains with Panzerotto Pizza absorbed by Wing Machine and 2-4-1 seemingly defunct.

Torontonians that know order from independent shops.

OP
OP
DeoGame

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Pizza Pizza is only tolerable is you drench it in dipping sauce. Spicy cheddar or creamy garlic for me personally. It's cardboard otherwise.
I always get massive garlic pores from Creamy Garlic despite it being my favorite so I do Creamy Dill or Peppercorn Ranch. One place the chain gets absolute credit is best dips.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Little Caesars is better than fucking Pizza, Pizza.
they just added a new pizza, delicious as fuck

New-Pepperoni-Cheeser-Cheeser-Pizza-Spotted-AT-Little-Caesars-678x381.jpg

edit: aww, not the same lc?
:(

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pizza Pizza is hot garbage sold as "pizza".

It used to be somewhat decent in the 90's to mid 00's, but slowly over time it's become horrible.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
S tier

Maker Pizza

North of Brooklyn

General Assembly

Pizza Libretto

Vesuvios (RIP)

~~~~~
B tier

Blaze

Pizza Nova

~~~~~
I need a certain amount of carbs and calories to survive tier

cardboard with tomato sauce

pizza pizza

OP
OP
DeoGame

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Domino's is trash-tier.

Pizza Nova is the top of the mega chains, with Amato and Pizza Iolo serving as the "high end" chains. Pizza Pizza is the last of the "low end" chains with Panzerotto Pizza absorbed by Wing Machine and 2-4-1 seemingly defunct.

Torontonians that know order from independent shops.
2-4-1 and Double Double are still alive up in the suburbs here (Scarberia). I had a Tandoori chicken pizza from 2 4 1 in March and it was thoroughly decent.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Does Canada even have good pizza? At least the US has 2 cities that know what good pizza is.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Pizza Pizza is trash. While the quality is slightly higher than 241, for those prices you may as well get Dominoes.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Oh a Canadian argument, diving into this one!

I really don't mind Pizza Pizza. I think I'd rather Pizza Pizza, Dominos or Pizza Hut pizza over Boston Pizza, for instance. Boston Pizza is fine taste wise, but the portion of pizza you get is small for the price you pay and even worse, the pizza never arrives warm even though Boston Pizza is 10 minutes from my house...

Best order-in pizza where I am is Monza (Montreal area restaurant chain), Jacques-Cartier pizza (although its expensive as hell) and double pizza when you just want a crapton of cheap pizza that can last a few meals.

I'd also probably rather eat all of those over frozen pizza too...

I'm lucky though, my wife just makes homemade pizza these days!

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Domino's on 50% off Monday is decent cheap food. Little Caesars only sells Italian Cheese Bread.

If I'm buying a more expensive quality pizza, it's Pepis Pizza.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Pizza Pizza is always open in the middle of the night. Honestly decent fast food pizza if you're looking for McDonalds-tier. Maybe better off copping a shawarma but sometimes you just want pizza

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
So every Friday for the last 8 weeks I have been ordering 1 large pepperoni pizza from various Canadian chains. Here's my ranking so:
Good/decent: Pizza Nova, Domino's, Pizza Hut, Pizzaville
Average: Panango
Trash: Pizza Pizza, Pizzaiolo

Haven't had Little Ceasers and Gino's in ages. I remember 241 being garbage and probably worse than Pizza Pizza.

Treating myself to Maker's on my bday.

OP
OP
DeoGame

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Does Canada even have good pizza? At least the US has 2 cities that know what good pizza is.
Yes, but it's less regional than in the U.S. My favorite is from a local Italian place with a wood stove that makes authentic Sicilian pizza (I went there and can vouch). They do all the Italian classics and others (my personal favorite is one with clams, mussells, shrimp, Escargot and mushrooms). But there isn't a widespread "Toronto" or "Vancouver" pizza.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Pizza Depot is worse but it's baffling that anyone would think Pizza Pizza is good much less the exemplar for pizza.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't give Pizza Pizza to a homeless person, they don't deserve that crap. 341 Pizza is right around the damn corner from it, at least THAT'S edible.

So every Friday for the last 8 weeks I have been ordering 1 large pepperoni pizza from various Canadian chains. Here's my ranking so:
Good/decent: Pizza Nova, Domino's, Pizza Hut, Pizzaville
Average: Panango
Trash: Pizza Pizza, Pizzaiolo

Haven't had Little Ceasers and Gino's in ages. I remember 241 being garbage and probably worse than Pizza Pizza.

Treating myself to Maker's on my bday.

Little Caesars is ONLY good when it's fresh, and even then it's more of a "price is right" deal.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The only good pizza at Little Caesars is the deep dish.
Pizza Pizza is super inconsistent, but it's actually more tolerable than Pizza Hut these days.

OP
OP
DeoGame

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Oh a Canadian argument, diving into this one!

I really don't mind Pizza Pizza. I think I'd rather Pizza Pizza, Dominos or Pizza Hut pizza over Boston Pizza, for instance. Boston Pizza is fine taste wise, but the portion of pizza you get is small for the price you pay and even worse, the pizza never arrives warm even though Boston Pizza is 10 minutes from my house...

Best order-in pizza where I am is Monza (Montreal area restaurant chain), Jacques-Cartier pizza (although its expensive as hell) and double pizza when you just want a crapton of cheap pizza that can last a few meals.

I'd also probably rather eat all of those over frozen pizza too...

I'm lucky though, my wife just makes homemade pizza these days!
I have a softspot for Boston Pizza as it's one of the few restaurants I can easily host a meetup at, but the price/size ratio is way off.

And agreed, homemade is great and Pizza Pizza ok.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it's less regional than in the U.S. My favorite is from a local Italian place with a wood stove that makes authentic Sicilian pizza (I went there and can vouch). They do all the Italian classics and others (my personal favorite is one with clams, mussells, shrimp, Escargot and mushrooms). But there isn't a widespread "Toronto" or "Vancouver" pizza.

Canada's pizza unfortunately, Pinapple.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they introduced pineapple pizza, which is great

It even inspired me to make pineapple lasagna
That's a good claim to fame. Pineapple gets too much of a bad rap. It's a good flavor combination.

Plus the real pizza crimes are taco pizzas or pizzas that use ranch or BBQ sauce. Those deserve the death penalty.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why are Pizza Pizza (Ontario) and Pizza 73 (Alberta) horrid when you buy them from the store, but actually delicious when you buy slices at Cineplex? 🤔

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how Pizza Pizza is legal. Their colours are the same as Little Caesars and their name is literally the Little Caesars slogan.