• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Many years ago, I was at Chipotle with the person who would become my spouse. This was at the peak of the E. coli outbreak in 2016 when people were purposefully avoiding Chipotle due to the contaminated produce. But for whatever reason, there we were. The line was short.

It was quiet and cold there. The clean, pristine restaurant did not have the attendance of either customer or staff it usually had. The only people there, with the exception of the two of us, were there alone. We ordered, sat down, and ate with a similar silence to the rest of the restaurant guests. My food wasn't very good. I ordered too much again. I overestimated my appetite for their hottest salsa, too. It occurred to me that even on its best days, when there is not an E. coli outbreak, I don't like Chipotle very much.

Although I remember this outing as one of the last times I willingly went to Chipotle, the real reason I remember it is because of the woman with the giant burrito. Chipotle makes huge burritos, but this one was just massive. She ate the entire thing without looking at it. She balanced it perfectly in one hand while she used the other to scroll on her phone. She never lost her grip, she never dropped a bean, and she ate all of it. I will never forget how big that burrito was or how easy she made it look to eat. That woman is an absolute legend to me. There was something almost Lynchian about it. In the background of my life, this tiny woman was eating a giant burrito. It did not matter to anyone, it was not meaningful in any way, but I still saw it happen. It is now part of the canon of my life.

Have you ever seen something totally random and just a little weird that even though it counts for nothing is a memory you always revisit with good humor? Ever seen someone lose an umbrella to the wind and just keep walking? Ever seen someone cry with excitement over meeting a turtle? Do you have a burrito woman in your life?

Edit: For clarity, I did not marry the burrito woman. My wife was merely also audience to her powerful presence.

Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw somebody walking their pet tiger down the street on a leash. He was in town with the circus and was staying with a friend nearby. He let us pet it and everything. Thinking back that was probably pretty dangerous.

Sep 14, 2019
Ugh... Now I'm craving a burrito...

Maybe some enchiladas 🤔

On-topic, I saw a minor crash last week. Everyone was okay. The driver who caused it was aware it was her mistake.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Since we're on the subject of giant burritos, I saw this one dude at a Mexican restaurant. When he saw the size of the enormously large burritos there, he started yelling extremely loudly, "DAA-HAAAY-HAAAAAMMMMMMNNN" for an uncomfortably long period of time. Eventually, he settled down, and then started asking the people sitting at the next table, people who he clearly had no prior acquaintance with, if they had seen Bad Boys 2 yet. They were pretty middle-aged and not exactly the target demographic of Bad Boys 2, by the way.

This is one memory that will always bring me good cheer.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I was at the park, near the pull up bars and whatnot - suddenly a dude fully dressed like a fucking WARLOCK came out of the bushes - spell books, black tattered robe and all. He then just starts working out. Seriously, I kid you not.

Needless to say, I got the hell out of there. To this day, I still don't know WTF was going on there. lol

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a teacher in high school where she would sometimes punctuate with her body language by making this upside-down claw shape with her hand. It was like one of those generic fantasy images of a warlock or mage claw-gripping a magic orb. It was a stupid and minor thing to notice, but that random professor eccentricity has stuck with me from my high school memories.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
One time I was sitting in the mall food court, I was about 8 or 9, I watched an enormous man eat 4 chicken sandwiches from KFC in two bites each. The zipper of his pants burst open under the table and revealed an incredibly hairy gut that looked like it had been vacuum sealed into his pants and was now unfolding into the third dimension.

I remember nothing else from whatever was happening at that time, but I will vividly remember everything about that man, his chicken sandwiches, and his hairy under-gut, until the day I die.

May 26, 2018
I had a teacher in high school where she would sometimes punctuate with her body language by making this upside-down claw shape with her hand. It was like one of those generic fantasy images of a warlock or mage claw-gripping a magic orb. It was a stupid and minor thing to notice, but that random professor eccentricity has stuck with me from my high school memories.

"Fool! You know nothing of the power of the arts!"

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Two immediately sprung to mind when I saw this thread

1. Back in college, I went and grabbed some lunch between classes. On my way back, I crossed a street and there was this large lady walking towards me. She was practically inhaling a ding-dong but what got me was that she had the opened box held up against her person. I always recall that memory more often than I care to. The whole sight just cracked me up.

2. Growing up I lived down the street from a college, so there were a few dorms on my street. I had to have been maybe 11 or 12 and I was walking up my street, bored. I walked past the women's dorm and there was a car parked on the street, I heard some noises so I kinda peeked in and lo and behold I see one chick going down on another, in the car. I watched for a couple seconds before getting scared and running off to tell all my friends.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure its not unusual, but Ive only seen someone walk through a drive-thru once, and it was during lunchtime with a dog leashed in tow.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah absolutely. I was once standing in line at a CVS for some chips, looked around and then suddenly thought "I will remember this moment" for no reason.

That was 17 years ago

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.
Citizen Kane if memory serves me right?

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember at my old job, we had glass walls in between hallways where you could see people walking to and from meetings.

I caught my co-worker walk by, stop mid-step, turn around as if he forgot something, walk back to his office, stop mid-step again, pull out his cellphone like he did all of this on purpose, turn around again to start walking where he was originally intending, stop again, check his phone again, stand still for 10 seconds, start walking again, stop one more time, and then turn around and walk back into his office and close the door.

Dude must've had so many things going through his head. It's fun for me to replay it in my head because I've been there before too many times and I'm just happy knowing it doesn't happen only to me.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I was sat on a concrete bollard in Durham (UK) town square OVER 20 YEARS AGO. A young woman had 2 little paper Greggs bags (it's a bakery where you can get pies and sausage rolls). She dropped one on the ground, and she just stared at it for a moment. I bent to pick it up for her and she kind of screamed a bit. If I recall she was Asian, possible not a native English speaker, because I sort of gestured at it as if to go "I can pick that up for you if you want", and she went "No, no, thank you, no". She looked a bit horrified. A straightened up and continued eating. She stared at the bag. Horrified. Then she picked it up between 2 fingers at arms lengths and threw it in a bin.

To this day I've wondered what was in that bag.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I was going over a huge bridge, and I noticed that there was no traffic on the other side. (The side going the opposite direction.)

As we crested the bridge, we saw a motorcade coming our way. There were police cars lined across all lanes on the other side. Behind that was a bus. Behind that bus was another line of police cars.

Here's the thing about the bus. As I remember, it mostly looked nonchalant. Nothing special about it. But this was at night, and it has massive lights mounted on each side of the buns, beaming down and into the windows. So if you were inside, you effectively would have been blinded. The lights were so bright, just reflected off the glass, that we also couldn't see inside.

I still have no idea what it was. It was probably aliens, but I can never be sure.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
One day I was with a friend driving somewhere and we passed by this particular intersection that never has people around it ever. It's not really accessible to pedestrian traffic. It's not a particularly busy intersection, busy enough but not busy enough to attract attention.

There was a man standing there in like 19th century British clothing, like from a Dickens novel, looking confused at everything. As we drove by we both remarked about him and we're like "wwwwttttfffff is going on"

He was a time traveler. 15 years later we still remark about the time traveler.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Also, one time I went with my brother to a business event at a school. This little kid on the playground area there suddenly yells out "NOTHING STOPS A JEDI", then proceeds to run forward (apparently without looking) and rams straight into a steel pole. Looked like he almost knocked himself out.

Then some older dude there randomly mentioned the kid ringing his own bell.

I shouldn't have laughed my ass off, but I did.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Me and a friend were walking down the street when this homeless guy, tilted to the side as if he were to fall over at any second, strolled down a city block, somehow maintaining this angle, and gave us a very fast gritty yet polite "hi guys"

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Citizen Kane if memory serves me right?

Yep.

Okay, a real one. A few years ago the sidewalk outside my apartment building was repaved. Some incredibly young stoners living by themselves in the building drew their names and MJ leaves into the drying cement. A few days later as I'm getting home from work one of the stoners' parents has them by the neck demanding an explanation. The stoner was like "someone else wrote my name it wasn't me," and the father yelled "I'm not as dumb as you."

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Was coming out of a bar in College Park, MD right next to the university and there were a ton of people in the adjacent parking lot leaving and I turned and saw a dude casually sporting a sub machine gun tucked into the back of his pants but above his t-shirt. An uzi or some shit.

I immediately turned to tell someone but then he was gone into the crowd. I couldn't believe I was the only one who saw it. So weird.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
One time Finale Fireworks saw a woman eating a giant burrito, and that image stayed with him for the rest of his life. But for that woman, it was Tuesday.

Weeats

Banned
Jun 17, 2019
When I was five or six, I saw some random, old, beat-to-hell red pick up truck carrying some firewood on a rural road in Tennessee. For no reason in particular, I remember, quite vividly, vowing silently to myself to try to remember that image forever--simply for fun.

I forget about that truck for months, if not years, at any given stretch of time. I only ever really 'remember' it when the topic of memory comes up, like this very thread.

And whenever I think about that truck, I also find myself thinking about the slippery nature of memory all-together. Each time those neurons fire, reminding me of that moment, those pathways change slightly, and the memory inevitably gets slightly altered. I bet if I could time travel, and I could see that scene again, as it actually was, I would be shocked at how much my memory has distorted it.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I remember when I was 8, playing a Rampage machine in the local mall. I mean, that's it; just playing an arcade machine. I've remember this forever and it pops in my head randomly. No idea why.

Another one is I remember two guys just screaming at each other outside the theater when I went to go see Ocean's Eleven like 15-20 years. I watched for like 5 seconds and walked in the theater.
"Why weren't you here 20 minutes ago?"
"Oh excuse me, excuse ME!"
"Why even bother then!"
"You always do this shit"

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I was in a 7-11 in Santa Cruz after the bars let out one night and what I can only describe as a "being" walked in while I was in line to pay. Some of the people in line were chatting, but when this being walked in, the energy noticeably shifted and the store fell silent.

The being was incredibly disheveled and had a look of horrified shock on its face. The scariest part was that the look of shock didn't waver, it was permanently glued on as the being shifted around the store, looking through the food options and making eye contact with patrons.

We all knew something was off, because no one spoke. It was like one of those moments in a thriller movie where you think that if you don't move or make a sound, the monster won't notice you.

Eventually, this being left the store without purchasing anything. Once the door shut behind it, people immediately began asking,"What the fuck just happened?"

I'll never forget that night.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I once sat at Valleyfair and stared at the Pepsi IMAX theater while feeling the breeze. I was 5.
I have no idea why the memory is firmly ingrained in my head.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
The amusement park just outside my city used to be owned by Paramount. I was on the subway coming home from there and there was guy also coming home from there. Except he was dressed as a Vulcan and in a Starfleet costume, with a phaser and everything. He was explaining to a mother and her kid how he goes to the park and just spends the day walking around in costume. That the security doesn't like that he does this but they can't do anything because he paid his admission. He also mentioned that his costumes were better than the ones the employees at the park wore.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
When I was around 13, a woman sat at the table near mine and pulled her breast out to feed her baby. I stared pretty intensely because I had no idea what the fuck was going on, my misinformed brain thought I was witnessing both a crime and a breast for the first time. Her husband or boyfriend was giving me this shit eating grin.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Some excellent contributions here.

I used to take BART 5 days a week.

I've got way too many of these...
You got to share some! Let us in to your brain!

Since we're on the subject of giant burritos, I saw this one dude at a Mexican restaurant. When he saw the size of the enormously large burritos there, he started yelling extremely loudly, "DAA-HAAAY-HAAAAAMMMMMMNNN" for an uncomfortably long period of time. Eventually, he settled down, and then started asking the people sitting at the next table, people who he clearly had no prior acquaintance with, if they had seen Bad Boys 2 yet. They were pretty middle-aged and not exactly the target demographic of Bad Boys 2, by the way.

This is one memory that will always bring me good cheer.

60c88481-5d8f-43d2-8fee-290fa617168d_text_hi.gif

I refuse to believe that this Chipotle was 'clean and pristine'.

It's only because their business was so low due to the outbreak. It happened, man, I know what I saw!

I remember at my old job, we had glass walls in between hallways where you could see people walking to and from meetings.

I caught my co-worker walk by, stop mid-step, turn around as if he forgot something, walk back to his office, stop mid-step again, pull out his cellphone like he did all of this on purpose, turn around again to start walking where he was originally intending, stop again, check his phone again, stand still for 10 seconds, start walking again, stop one more time, and then turn around and walk back into his office and close the door.

Dude must've had so many things going through his head. It's fun for me to replay it in my head because I've been there before too many times and I'm just happy knowing it doesn't happen only to me.

This is a great one. Perfectly exemplifies what I'm going for. Just a weird, harmless incident that's kind of funny to reflect on and unique enough not to be an everyday occurrence. Very good visual, too!

I was going over a huge bridge, and I noticed that there was no traffic on the other side. (The side going the opposite direction.)

As we crested the bridge, we saw a motorcade coming our way. There were police cars lined across all lanes on the other side. Behind that was a bus. Behind that bus was another line of police cars.

Here's the thing about the bus. As I remember, it mostly looked nonchalant. Nothing special about it. But this was at night, and it has massive lights mounted on each side of the buns, beaming down and into the windows. So if you were inside, you effectively would have been blinded. The lights were so bright, just reflected off the glass, that we also couldn't see inside.

I still have no idea what it was. It was probably aliens, but I can never be sure.

This is like a whole other type of thought-provoker: unanswered mysteries of similar unimportance.

The amusement park just outside my city used to be owned by Paramount. I was on the subway coming home from there and there was guy also coming home from there. Except he was dressed as a Vulcan and in a Starfleet costume, with a phaser and everything. He was explaining to a mother and her kid how he goes to the park and just spends the day walking around in costume. That the security doesn't like that he does this but they can't do anything because he paid his admission. He also mentioned that his costumes were better than the ones the employees at the park wore.
Fun fact! They actually ban adults from wearing costumes in Disney parks for this exact reason.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
This is like a whole other type of thought-provoker: unanswered mysteries of similar unimportance.
Oh, yea. I will definitely still wonder about that decades from now on my death bed. And I'd pay good money to know what was going on. It was so weird and mysterious!

I remember wondering if it was a movie being filmed, but we didn't see any cameras, crew, etc. There was nothing but the cop cars and the bus, and they had stopped the traffic one of the major bridges.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Most recently at PAX East, I was in a line to use the bathroom stalls (because there is a line for everything there). Some guy leans back against the wall, shrugs, and YELLS out "HEY!! OTHER PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE A SHIT!!!" and everyone kind of ignores him. Then the guy in the stall came out and said "Yeah, I needed to take a shit too!" and a massive verbal argument started and lasted for like 3 mins while everyone was waiting in line.

I will probably remember it forever