• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The weirdest part is that they treat lightsabers as having any real weight. It's a goddamn beam of light. The only weight should be the handle. People should be getting a full range of proper attacking motions just by flicking their wrists around.

I always figured that the beam interacts with the air, so a blade still has "weight" to it in that you have to overcome wind resistance to swing.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't understand is that in the prequel and new trilogy lightsaber fights, 90% of their moves aren't even strikes at each other. They just wave their sabers around like it's some sort of performance art piece.

You know what I mean.

I think one should also keep in mind that 90% of lightsaber combat is them channeling the force and sort of moving and weaving through their currents. One trained in the force would be able to sense openings to strike/retreat/defend. The 7 lightsaber forms are designed specifically so the user doesn't have to think about their mechanical movements - like autopilot.

When you have two highly skilled force users both pitted their wills against one another, I expect the kinda display we see in the PT and ST.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In TPM Quin-Gon cuts through a door with his lightsaber and he takes a lot of time to do it, which wouldn't be the case if his lightsaber was mass-less and could cut through it like butter

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
In TPM Quin-Gon cuts through a door with his lightsaber and he takes a lot of time to do it, which wouldn't be the case if his lightsaber was mass-less and could cut through it like butter
Not sure this argument makes sense. A blowtorch flame is massless but you still need to hold it in one place and move slowly to cut something thick.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017

Oddly satisfying to watch him carve up that door. Like he was making love to it.

quidoorsls3.gif

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
no because the precedent it sets and the can of worms it opens basically ruins the franchise. Good luck having good choreography moving forward.
Too late for that mang. It's already obvious that they're more interested in clashing swords than actually chopping each other up.

The best we can get is choreography that isn't realistic but looks cool anyway.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Is there any explanation for why a Force user needs to maintain physical contact with their lightsaber in the first place? Couldn't a powerful enough Force wielder theoretically use telekinesis to essentially turn it into a laser sword drone?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throughout all the Star Wars films, from the originals, the prequels, and the new ones, there are moments when you have two characters dueling with a lightsaber. Often times there's a moment in combat where the other person blocks an attack and they hold it for a bit with both characters trying to overpower the other. You'll usually have one person from an attacking position while the other person is blocking that attack and basically "holding" the attackers lightsaber at bay.

What I mean are instances like this:
ThRIpAj.gif

efuT8c0.gif

As I'm sure most people that have seen Star Wars you know a lightsaber can be turned on and off simply by pushing a button, it's quick and easy. Now something I never understood is when the attacker is being blocked by the other person, why has no one thought, "Hey, this is a lightsaber, it's not a sword, I can turn it off and on!"

Literally ALL they have to do to get "by" their lightsaber being blocked by the blocker to simply push the button to turn it off, which would allow them to quickly get passed their saber being blocked, then quickly hit the button again to turn it on so the lightsaber would extend directly into the other person. Why has no one thought of this during a fight???

JUFWKnF.gif

Yes I'm aware it's a fictional and fantasy movie series, but I mean, I can't be the only person that thought of this everytime I see that happen during a fight. It seems like something that'd at least be cool to see at least once...
It's a choreographed dance routine these days.

If on/off comes into play you could just press your opponent's button off with the Force while hacking.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any explanation for why a Force user needs to maintain physical contact with their lightsaber in the first place? Couldn't a powerful enough Force wielder theoretically use telekinesis to essentially turn it into a laser sword drone?

If you're powerful enough to do shit like that, you probably don't need any lightsaber at all anymore. For example, the Emperor in the OT.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This sounds like the sort of flawed logic that leads to spinning being such a common feature of mainstream fighting choreography. "Oh, if I spin around and present my exposed back, that will confuse my opponent and allow me to surprise him with an attack from a different direction with more momentum!" No, if you're fighting a competent opponent, all that does is gift them a golden opportunity to strike you. I haven't watched Star Wars, but I would assume that lightsaber users are, in general, pretty skilled with the things.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
There is a character in KotOR 2 who does exactly this.. With 3 lightsabers at once.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds like the sort of flawed logic that leads to spinning being such a common feature of mainstream fighting choreography. "Oh, if I spin around and present my exposed back, that will confuse my opponent and allow me to surprise him with an attack from a different direction with more momentum!" No, if you're fighting a competent opponent, all that does is gift them a golden opportunity to strike you. I haven't watched Star Wars, but I would assume that lightsaber users are, in general, pretty skilled with the things.
The thing about SW is that lightsaber battles are basically two people letting magic guide their every action. Anyone can technically use a lightsaber, but it's most effective in the hands of force sensitives as they can literally predict where it needs to go. A really good short explanation from the very first lightsaber training we saw in the series.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
More like why doesn't anyone use the force to push the ignitor button of the other person's lightsaber so it retracts and you cut right through them and win.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sound ridiculous. If someone is pushing against your sword that is equally pushing back, and that blade suddenly disappears, the enemy's sword is going to continue going forward and through you. That's how momentum works.

Somehow folks here managed to invoke "bullshido" to a fictional fight.

It won't really work if the guy is on top of you pushing down. But it works if you are both pushing the saber left/right.

K8uKw1Q.jpg

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is that in the prequel and new trilogy lightsaber fights, 90% of their moves aren't even strikes at each other. They just wave their sabers around like it's some sort of performance art piece.

You know what I mean.

Because this is a movie and realistic sword fights aren't as popular as entertaining sword fights. I have never understood moviegoers pointing things like "it's not realistic" when you have to remember that this is a movie. Like with The Dark Knight Rises when people were angry that Bane wasn't doing enough pressure to break Batman's back. It's because Tom Hardy's Stunt Double doesn't actually want to break Christian Nolan's Stun Double's back.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Huh, hadn't seen this clip. Cool!
If you're powerful enough to do shit like that, you probably don't need any lightsaber at all anymore. For example, the Emperor in the OT.
Oh, sure, I just figured with all the absurd variations of lightsaber combat we've seen over the years, that someone must have hit on that idea as well.
There is a character in KotOR 2 who does exactly this.. With 3 lightsabers at once.
And once again, the EU provides!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The simple explanation is it's those noob killer moves you can no longer do against a decent opponent because how easy it is to counter. Reminds me of those online moves in fighting games tournament players never use.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
The simple explanation is it's those noob killer moves you can no longer do against a decent opponent because how easy it is to counter. Reminds me of those online moves in fighting games tournament players never use.

Yeah, I imagine it's like those moves in chess that let you win in a few turns that seems super cool when you first learn it, but then you find out that everyone knows about it and it just doesn't work anymore.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you switch off your lightsaber if it was the only thing stopping your opponent from cutting you in half?

As some Star Wars guy once said, "You are unwise to lower your defenses."

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Because this is a movie and realistic sword fights aren't as popular as entertaining sword fights. I have never understood moviegoers pointing things like "it's not realistic" when you have to remember that this is a movie. Like with The Dark Knight Rises when people were angry that Bane wasn't doing enough pressure to break Batman's back. It's because Tom Hardy's Stunt Double doesn't actually want to break Christian Nolan's Stun Double's back.
I'm well aware it's a movie, thank you. I just think it looks a bit silly.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm just asking out of curiosity. I'm just not sure what characters/events/abilities are still considered "canon" or not when it comes to Star Wars.
When Disney rebooted the EU the only things that were canon were
-Dave Filoni's Clone Wars show
-The films

Everything else was made into "Legends." Fun fact, Dave Filoni was VERY close to making KOTOR canon:

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
When Disney rebooted the EU the only things that were canon were
-Dave Filoni's Clone Wars show
-The films

Everything else was made into "Legends." Fun fact, Dave Filoni was VERY close to making KOTOR canon:

Ah, see, this is where I think I got my wires crossed, as I've heard people make comments suggesting that KOTOR is close to being or essentially is canon. I guess this is why.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Probably because the moment they turn off their saber they're gunna get cut in half.

Also saber ignites are sometimes incredibly slow; Vader's seems to take some time to fully extend.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because the moment they turn off their saber they're gunna get cut in half.

Also saber ignites are sometimes incredibly slow; Vader's seems to take some time to fully extend.
I think they control it. Vader extends his all slow because he gives zero fucks, and it's super intimidating.

Evidence is when old Ben Kenobi can't control the Force so well anymore, so his lightsaber goes to "low battery" mode in his last fight.

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
As an easy aside, anything not on official screens is not canon.

What do you mean by official screens?

Also, to those still curious, shows, comics, books and games released after the Disney purchase are canon unless specified otherwise. KOTOR has some material, like planet names, referenced in canon now. Considering how far removed the Old Republic era is from the movies, and its popularity, it is both easy and likely to reintegrate it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think they control it. Vader extends his all slow because he gives zero fucks, and it's super intimidating.

Evidence is when old Ben Kenobi can't control the Force so well anymore, so his lightsaber goes to "low battery" mode in his last fight.
I don't think so. The films themselves don't touch on users being able to control the way the saber ignites, and if you're referring to ANH, I don't think that's a canon explanation.

In fact, anyone can ignite a saber whether they're force sensitive or not (ie Finn and Han). I think it's literally a button that turns it on, that's it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. The films themselves don't touch on users being able to control the way the saber ignites, and if you're referring to ANH, I don't think that's a canon explanation.

In fact, anyone can ignite a saber whether they're force sensitive or not (ie Finn and Han). I think it's literally a button that turns it on, that's it.
Okay. Then Vader precisely times his button presses with his machine hand and brain to make it look like that.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by official screens?

Also, to those still curious, shows, comics, books and games released after the Disney purchase are canon unless specified otherwise. KOTOR has some material, like planet names, referenced in canon now. Considering how far removed the Old Republic era is from the movies, and its popularity, it is both easy and likely to reintegrate it.
Official screens means those not disposed of Disney. It's the simplest bet. KOTOR would be a good add but KOTOR 2 is pretty contentious though.