• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sound ridiculous. If someone is pushing against your sword that is equally pushing back, and that blade suddenly disappears, the enemy's sword is going to continue going forward and through you. That's how momentum works.

Somehow folks here managed to invoke "bullshido" to a fictional fight.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
The blocking fencer would "fall forward" towards the attacker. Too dangerous.

The real question here is why don't they use the force to deactivate the opponents Saber. It's just a button after all
Same reason they don't just kill each with the force. It's harder to affect someone powerful in the force with it, which is why laser sword kung fu is the ultimate form of combat.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Same reason they don't just kill each with the force. It's harder to affect someone powerful in the force with it, which is why laser sword kung fu is the ultimate form of combat.
ULemLIk.gif

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This sound ridiculous. If someone is pushing against your sword that is equally pushing back, and that blade suddenly disappears, the enemy's sword is going to continue going forward and through you. That's how momentum works.

Somehow folks here managed to invoke "bullshido" to a fictional fight.

When you're attacking them with an overhead strike, or from the sides and they block, the angle of their swing once you turn off your saber will not hit you, as they'll be pushing above/to the side and not directly at you.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Well force users are prescient, so I think we can safely assume that they would see it coming and kill the other person (or chop their arm off, or whatever) before they can re-extend the blade.

This is the in-universe explanation. Star Wars saber duels are just psychic battles where each Force user is trying to foresee as far as possible while the Dark Side users also try to obscure that reach.

Because they're just meant to be swords that glow in the dark.

This is the out-of-universe explanation. Don't overthink movies; literally no good can come of it, so at best, you come away with a bland, factual answer (that's really only there to placate the people that obsess over these kinds of things).

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
is this a serious question?

your opponent is also pushing, the moment you switch off your ligthsaber, his lightsaber is cutting you in half

This. OP is basically asking "wouldn't you win if you stopped defending yourself?" It's a block. The whole point is to stop the opponent's blade from continuing its arc, which is generally intended to kill and/or maim you.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ive asked people about this, its ... not worth pursuing further thought lol

plus, it would look really dumb

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This. OP is basically asking "wouldn't you win if you stopped defending yourself?" It's a block. The whole point is to stop the opponent's blade from continuing its arc, which is generally intended to kill and/or maim you.

I'm talking about when you're the attacker, not the person who's blocking an attack.

Ive asked people about this, its ... not worth pursuing further thought lol

plus, it would look really dumb

Come on, look at it being used it (a bit without actually getting into the blocking stance like I talked about but same thing basically).
rkEAyBd.gif

That doesn't look cool?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, look at it being used it (a bit without actually getting into the blocking stance like I talked about but same thing basically).
rkEAyBd.gif

That doesn't look cool?

no because the precedent it sets and the can of worms it opens basically ruins the franchise. Good luck having good choreography moving forward.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BouncyPeskyCutworm-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

As for an answer it's because lightsaber beams are held in place by magnetic fields, and when they clash, those fields are repelling each other, so when they're clashing they're pushing against the force of both the other person and the magnet. Since jedi have weird precognition when they fight if they sensed you trying the 'turn it off' method they'd just stop pushing and let the blade naturally bounce back towards your face.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
no because the precedent it sets and the can of worms it opens basically ruins the franchise. Good luck having good choreography moving forward.

Well, when Dooku slid his lightsaber down Obi's and cut his hand that didn't really set a precedent or cause crossguards to suddenly appear on lightsabers, even though historically that's the entire reason they were invented.

I think it'd just a be a cool thing to see one-off, not something that is a common place thing or takes over during fighting. Just like a cool "big fight" moment special move that you see a character do and then the more normal fighting for the rest. Kind of like how the Dooku fight went with that slide and then you never really saw it happen again even though there's no crossguards (til Kylo's, and even then the other lightsabers don't have it either).

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I'd imagine it's extremely risky. They turn on and off quickly, but your opponent might just be faster. It's probably the kind of trick you learn about when you're still a padawan, so it doesn't really surprise anyone, anyway.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, real talk, it's because movie people used props as light sabers and those do not actually have the ability to do that.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Just had another thought. I imagine lightsabers are designed so they are not easily turned on or off when holding them in those kinds of positions. You wouldn't your lightsaber accidentally turning off just because your grip slipped or something like that, after all.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just having a bit of fun with semantics. The force is the ultimate weapon.
HoMMas6.gif

l3SRtme.gif

Yoda, Sidious, Snoke and Luke all becoming so powerful with the force that they ditched lightsabers outright was always such a cool detail to me.

Right??? Unfortunately they didn't in the prequels. I totally agree with you though, Sidious and Yoda are both respectively powerful enough to have transcended lightsaber combat.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The speed from the kylo gif is very fast but it still isn't instant or even blaster shot fast. In the time it would take for you to move the arc of your swing in past a blocking sabre, the blocking sabre can also adjust to track that motion and the beam extending from the reignited sabre would contact the blocking blade again. Taken to an extreme you're really just trying to turn a lightsabre into a gun by pointing it at the opponent from different angles and feathering it off and on to 'shoot'. Shooting force users doesn't work, historically.

It's probably a useful technique to keep in your pocket to surprise the odd opponent, but just like with precognition we could try and intuit some other bullshit explanations as to why we haven't seen it yet. Like if you hold an unignited sabre only an inch away from an ignited blade and then turn it on, does the extending blade push against the stationary one, or does it push back against it's own ignition source aka the handle, or does it split the newtons of force evenly between the 2? Or does the stationary blade simply completely stop the newly forming blade at a couple inches long because a new blade can't occupy the same space as an existing blade on formation or what? There's myriad ways to write off the maneuver as often putting the user at a disadvantage as long as the story teller doesn't want it to work.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I was under the impression that with proper Jedi/Sith (so not Rey or Kylo) lightsaber duels are like 99% the force making you go on autopilot and 1% actual skill.

I mean Jedi can reliably block blaster bolts without paying too much attention afterall, they aren't doing that with human reaction times. And if they can do that on the regular the chances of turning the lightsaber off and back on before they've taken advantage of the opportunity to strike is probbaly slim.

This makes think of those alternate lightsaber techniques people on the internet thought up

iWf6XP8.jpg

There's some crazy stuff you could do

Edit:
Oh it's actually proposed there:

K8uKw1Q.jpg

Specifically in regards to those force based techniques, in the Prequals unless there was a significant difference in power force users tended to cancel each others powers out in combat for the most part.

Edit: Which I like to imagine is why Palpatine opts for blunt force techniques in combat like throwing things at Yoda and spamming lightning.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As soon as you turn off your lightsaber, the other lightsaber your opponent was trying to stab you in the face with, is going to stab you in the face.
So then why not have a second lightsaber that comes out horizontally? Why even have swords, why not guns that shoot out light saber light? The fuck? Or lightsaber bullets, missiles, etc etc.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Why don't the Jedis use a lightsaber that can shoot beams of energy at their opponent and use their force power to predict where the enemy is at?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the OP understands that even in the Star Wars universe F still =ma. If they are both putting all their effort into pushing against the other's lightsaber, he who turns off his lightsaber will get cut up.

May 26, 2018
I think what it really comes down to is that space battles are WW2 dogfights and saber battles are samurai duels. It's planes, and it's katanas, and it's wizards, all with futuristic texture maps.

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure the OP understands that even in the Star Wars universe F still =ma. If they are both putting all their effort into pushing against the other's lightsaber, he who turns off his lightsaber will get cut up.

When you are blocking an attack you usually push against the direction of the attack In the case of both overhand swings and side swings you aren't pushing "toward" the other person that is attacking you, rather you're pushing up or to the side, in the direction they are swinging their lightsaber from. So the trajectory of their lightsaber isn't coming toward you unlike yours

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
When you are blocking an attack you usually push against the direction of the attack In the case of both overhand swings and side swings you aren't pushing "toward" the other person that is attacking you, rather you're pushing up or to the side, in the direction they are swinging their lightsaber from. So the trajectory of their lightsaber isn't coming toward you unlike yours
Look at your first gif and ask yourself: what would happen if Vader's lightsaber turned off? Where would Obi-Wan's go?

OP
OP
Stiler

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Look at your first gif and ask yourself: what would happen if Vader's lightsaber turned off? Where would Obi-Wan's go?

You'd have the knowledge of what you're about to do, you know the general direction their saber will go once you turn it off so you can move right before you do that, and the direction in that gif Obi's would go near the top of Vader's helmet, easily missed with a slight duck or moving to the right as soon as he turn sit off and then on.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
As I'm sure most people that have seen Star Wars you know a lightsaber can be turned on and off simply by pushing a button, it's quick and easy. Now something I never understood is when the attacker is being blocked by the other person, why has no one thought, "Hey, this is a lightsaber, it's not a sword, I can turn it off and on!"
Because there's just as much chance of the other guy splitting you open as there is of them splitting you. You're both pushing towards one another. The sudden disappearance of resistance is going to cause their blade to fling forward as a physics reaction whereas you're trying to execute a maneuver. There's a good chance they get you first and a better chance you kill one another.

When you're locking sabers it's not generally in a position where the defender's blade is on the inside because they could just stop defending and go for a kill at that point.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A good rule with Star Wars is to always just assume that everything you think of has already been explained in the EU. And any new idea or inconsistency immediately spawns a fleet of writers who expand on it to preemptively answer questions or make it work.

That's why Darth Vader's lightsaber sometimes looking a bit longer or shorter in his fight with Obi-Wan isn't just the result of a movie from the 70's having somewhat dodgy effects, no it's Darth Vader trying to get a leg up on his master by using his special variable length lightsaber.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Nah. The weirdest part is that they treat lightsabers as having any real weight. It's a goddamn beam of light. The only weight should be the handle. People should be getting a full range of proper attacking motions just by flicking their wrists around.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I don't remember where I have this from, and I'm not even sure that it's true or canon, but the "block" that everybody talks about here, isn't that a result of the two lightsabers getting stuck together in combat? The way I remember it, the big problem at that point is actually getting the two sabers apart. Maybe there are issues with turning off a lightsaber while that is happening.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Turning off your lightsaber while inches away from someone powerful enough to where you feel you need a trick to beat them seems like a horrible idea.

This would only really work against someone you'd have no trouble beating either way.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The weirdest part is that they treat lightsabers as having any real weight. It's a goddamn beam of light. The only weight should be the handle. People should be getting a full range of proper attacking motions just by flicking their wrists around.

It's not. A lightsaber beam has weight and is physical matter. It's NOT literal light, lmao!

This is also the reason Jedi wielded their lightsabers with two hands in the OT; the lightsabers were supposed to be heavy. Vader wielding his with only one hand at the start of the Bespin duel was meant to show his immense strength and lack of respect for Luke the little rookie (and then near the end of the fight Vader actually starts using two hands as if to say "okay let's get serious now").

tumblr_m3id2tJYgd1qdqyo9.gif

Starting with the PT however they started wielding lightsabers with one hand more often because Lucas wanted more acrobatic fighting styles.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but try to bunt without any grip.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What I don't understand is that in the prequel and new trilogy lightsaber fights, 90% of their moves aren't even strikes at each other. They just wave their sabers around like it's some sort of performance art piece.

You know what I mean.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
For your basic lightsabers 101, have a clip from Rebels:

Lightsabers are not mass-less. They feel surprisingly heavy until you get used to them. Lightsabers attract each other. Separating two locked lightsabers is harder than you think. I think this is probably the only time in Star Wars we get to see the really basic steps on learning how to lightsaber fight.