• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Uhhh, is poison broken or what? Lol I just breezed through the game like never before. Poison enemy, focus on dodging, wait for them to take absurd amounts of damage.

Also, the infinite beam is sooo good on the last boss. I'm willing to take a little bit of damage if she's just gonna sit there and take every hit

saboar

Oct 25, 2017
This would have been a nice game except I hate roguelikes. Oh well, better luck next time.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Any advice for fighting the shopkeeper? I've given up for now.

Also, her unlock conditions are the same as the other characters, right?

Oct 25, 2017
I also found that if you shield throw right before the line reaches the enemy and depletes your shield 200 HP, you can get your shield back

Zenith? You should press it first, then dash. The tricky part then becomes confusing which spells should be activated before dashing and which should be activated after
aaaah
That makes sense!

Game is too fast and difficult for me :(
Use Chrono Saffron 0:
Dev is also working on something for the next patch.

Any advice for fighting the shopkeeper? I've given up for now.

Also, her unlock conditions are the same as the other characters, right?
Her unlock is just "defeat her", doesn't require a specific tier. Her big attacks only come when she is down to 1000 (or 1500?) health, so you have to prepare something for then - either a big burst to insta kill, some big shield, soul link, AoE to clear the ice pillars...
I still didn't beat her ):

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Use Chrono Saffron 0:
Dev is also working on something for the next patch.

I just unlocked Chrono and it's a lot more managemable.

Good to hear the devs are working on something to possibly make the game easier - I dont think I can ever get good enough to beat it right now. Still having a blast though!

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
I got the level-based unlock of Reva, so I have all characters except the shopkeep now. The best I've done is make it to the gate (and died to a boss there who destroyed the gate immediately); seeing "One step from Eden" on the defeat screen is pretty rough.

Last edited:

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Defeated the final boss of the pacifist run!!! Dunno what exactly happened, but when she resurrected she did an insta kill unblockable(?) shockwave but then the whole crew came to my aid and went to town on her.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First victory! Standard Saffron, went Phalanx / Hearth Flow build. Against the wall, got myself holding a shield-generator Ring and firing infinite shield-creating 60-damage Rock Cycles. I had an artifact to bump Mana on Flowcast, too, so I was basically just jamming the button and holding myself over 800 shield continuously.

That boss woulda been nuts if I wasn't invulnerable! I brought in a pet who uhhh died basically immediately. That poor kitty.

Didn't see credits, but I unlocked Reva and Terra. Just need Gunner and Shopkeeper now.

I honestly can't fathom getting to the end without a fair amount of Phalanx. Also I totally don't get playable Violette at all, I've read her spells but never run her. How can you possibly use her weapon intelligently with all the mayhem in this game.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Her unlock is just "defeat her", doesn't require a specific tier. Her big attacks only come when she is down to 1000 (or 1500?) health, so you have to prepare something for then - either a big burst to insta kill, some big shield, soul link, AoE to clear the ice pillars...
I still didn't beat her ):
Thanks. My current idea is to use Reva. A lot of the Shopkeeper attacks seem like they're nearly undodgeable anyway, so I would have a better chance reflecting them. The biggest problem is the ice blocks. She has a hard time getting out of there...

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The rings are all (maybe except for the 3 max mana one? more situational I guess) REALLY good. A shame the shield one only appeared for me once ):

I used the max mana ring in conjunction with a machine gun spell that does damage based on the mana you have when you cast it. It was a cute synergy but not actually that powerful.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Reva helped me take down Shopkeeper in the first world. Poison plus shield and a lot of dodging did the trick. Finished her with two quick shield throws for about 600 damage each

Timing the reflector well to block when surrounded by ice did wonders, too

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I'm impressed by how unique and fun each character feels to play. Reva, Selicy, Terra, and Violette are highlights in my opinion, but there were no characters that I thought were boring. I think Hazel would be the least interesting, but still, fun to play.

I'm happy to see achievements. Just having something to focus on while I enjoy the game is nice.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like Hazel although she's less exciting for sure. She was my second unlock so I played her a lot for variety.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am really enjoying this game, but man towards the later stages in a run it gets really brutally difficult and almost unfair. At least the dev is looking into making things somewhat easier.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I guess my thing about Hazel is that you're interacting with the enemies less than you are with the structures. And her initial loadout feels like it's not very flexible. The focus on structures means it's hard to implement a lot of other spells.

I suppose Terra might be similarly inflexible, but trapping enemies is just so much fun haha nothing like stopping a boss from moving and absolutely whaling on them

I am really enjoying this game, but man towards the later stages in a run it gets really brutally difficult and almost unfair. At least the dev is looking into making things somewhat easier.
I agree with some of the later stages having the potential to be unfair. I've encountered my fair share of moments when every single space had an exclamation mark on it because of the combination of enemies

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
The only major issue I have with this game is that every one of my successful runs devolves into "mash the A and B buttons until everything on the right side of the screen dies". Once one's mana regeneration + maximum mana starts getting good from all the artifacts one collects, it's better to spam spells than to try to aim them properly.

It's very much at odds with how thoughtful the game is when it starts out. The first world gives one plenty of time to work out how to play optimally with the starter kit, and the next ~3 worlds are just about slow enough to manage keeping track of one's expanded set of cards while dodging the enemies.

It devolves into traditional late-game action-roguelike bullet hell in the last third and I just can't be bothered to keep track of who or what I'm shooting anymore.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Money Shot combined with the spell that fires two shots with the damage from the spell in the other slot is OP. End of the run could do 2400 damage very quickly when those two were together.

Honestly though just sticking with it and learning what enemies did helped deal with the speed for me. Once you know whats immediately threatening and whats not at the start you can focus on getting rid of the dangerous ones first or at least ignoring the easier/counter enemies. Don't have too much problems now besides some of the late game bosses.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hell yeah! Finally beat it with Bullethell Gunner. Got way lucky in getting the 50+ HP when saving a hostage really early, but defo got into a zone with my shields and poison attacks.

And I'm pretty sure you can dodge that last attack with either the teleporting dash or maybe even the candy wrapper passive.

Last edited:

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Hell yeah! Finally beat it with Bullethell Gunner. Got way lucky in getting the 50+ HP when saving a hostage really early, but defo got into a zone with my shields and poison attacks.

And I'm pretty sure you can dodge that last attack with either the teleporting dash or maybe even the candy wrapper passive.

Congrats! It's such a thrill to finally reach the end, huh?

As for the final attack, I don't think it's actually possible to dodge. If you do survive the first, she just keeps firing until you're down to 1 HP haha I guess they want to make sure you haven't used Reva yet (Saffron is excluded from this rule).

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Made it to the last boss of the kill everyone route. I like the gimmick.

I get a little salty with the Violette 4 fight. Every square feels covered with something sometimes.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
after 25 hours, I have now unlocked almost everything in the game (only missing the shopkeeper and 4 items) and I still havent finished 1 run.

the game's scaling is, in my opinion of course, completely busted. level 6+ bosses not only have WAY too much health compared to what you have (its not like you level up) but especially compared to your own dmg output (unlike slay the spire where you feel the power creep), and on top of that, they get a ton of new moves which makes no sense.

I'm not saying its impossible to finish as people have done it obviously, but yeah, imo its completely unbalanced. Cool game but yeah, I kinda feel like dropping it unless others in the genre.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really want to get this on Switch and not PC, but there's still a lot of design stuff that feels rough around the edges and in flux and I know those patches won't hit Switch for weeks/months.

Oct 25, 2017
Big changes today:
store.steampowered.com

One Step From Eden - Patch v1.2 - Chaos Control - Steam News

Chaotic encounters get more organized and strategic, along with a slew of other balance changes. (Mostly buffs)
First of all I want to state my intentions as a game designer.

My biggest goal is to make the game as fun and interesting for players as possible. That is what I personally want. I'm not trying to make a hard or easy game. I'm trying to make a game that challenges players and allows them to explore combos and mechanics and have fun with them.

Please know I have the best intentions in mind even if I may make design mistakes here and there. If I make a bad change, I'm willing to admit it and find another solution.

Sometimes it should be hard to help push you towards improving but this has to be done very carefully. Sometimes it should also be chaotic to throw a rush of excitement and panic at a seasoned player, but this scenario is rare and should not be an every-battle occurence like it can be now.
1. The chaotic part of the game (mainly mid-late game) are pretty messy. I'm introducing a new system that calculates the current number of live enemies on the field and increases the time between their attacks dynamically. Chests and minions will also affect this amount but to a lesser degree.

This should give you more breaks during the onslaught of the later battles, reducing the need to "burst" down an enemy at the start of battle, and help keep things strategic while still retaining a "fair" level of difficulty. I highly doubt I'll get this formula exactly right on the first try so please let me know your feedback on it!

2. Easy mode is not something I want to just tack onto a game. Making everything "80%" slower is a pretty lazy design choice and not something I'm comfortable with doing. I've made changes to open up more opportunities to hit and avoid bosses between attacks.

It seems like the first world is slow enough for most players since it already has some "limitations" such as not spawning more than 2 enemies. I'm going to extend this limitation to the second world for non-ascension runs.

I've reworked the way higher tier enemies appear based on luck, leading to a smoother curve throughout runs.

I love a challenge and don't want to take that away from hardcore players. Most of the changes I'm making are not just about making the game "easier" but slower, more strategic, and easier to understand. If you're here for the difficulty, there are plenty of ascension levels I will continue to balance.

Hopefully these and the quality of life changes below help make the game more manageable.

This isn't the end for making the game more accessible. I'll keep working on it.
Then there's the changelog that I will not be posting, though:
Detox becoming 0 mana and Kunais not anchoring again are pretty cool in my book. Zenith becoming 0 mana is pretty interesting.
I also like Violette getting 40 shield instead of 30 to make Corset less awkward to use.

And then:
Coming soon:
Accessibility options
Larger font sizes
UI Options

I know Co-op with separate characters is requested, but this feature may take a while. I will try to work on it soon.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I hope Switch gets these patches soon. Though I gotta shout out my secret favorite Switch feature: the UI is touch-enabled unlike so many games. It's not ~good~ with touch, but it's nice that it exists.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
How does one deal with the
Sword-flinging death angel that appears at the end of a non-Pacifist run, after destroying The Wall? Her attack is nigh-undodgeable and does enormous amounts of damage. I feel like I'm missing something that would make that attack not happen.

I've gotten the Pacifist ending, which seems attached to a vastly easier final boss, but I've got no idea what I'm meant to do against the other final boss.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
That enemy that summons the 4 way turret in the Eden area is very annoying 😂. Usually ruin a run because of those things knocking my health down before the boss due to me focusing on the other enemy it's paired with.

I can make it to the last boss of the kill all route nearly every run now though. They definitely toned down some regular battles in the earlier areas, though I never felt they were a problem for a run going bad. it's more just learning how to deal with the harder versions of bosses that were a problem before (Selicy 4 looking at you). The route is definitely more challenging to win, pacifist route gives you a lot of safe guards like an extra revive from Reva and 400 hp every boss spare. I think I'll get the kill route clear in the next few days though.

Root and frost are pretty strong together, especially when you get the artifact where frost can root and slow enemies. Once i clear the kill route I'll start experimenting with other characters.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I really like the alt costumes too.
Made it to the last boss of the kill everyone route. I like the gimmick.

I get a little salty with the Violette 4 fight. Every square feels covered with something sometimes.
Yeah, you gotta get rid of those speakers quickly to stand a chance. The upside is that if you make it to the loop of the song, you can probably throw a whole bunch of spells at her for free

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'm hoping that the Switch version will eventually get a physical copy from Limited Run Games or from someone else, with all patches included.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I had like 50 spells, and the game was permanently slowed down :(
Then I started fighting the gate, and all hope was lost. The Switch couldn't handle what was happening at all

But I did learn how incredible kunai is in the meantime. Having 40 ready to go is crazy

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I must say the game is really hard but i'm having lots of fun.
The max i was able to achieve for now is the 4th boss. Still wasn't able to get an extra characther yet but i at least rechead the boss once. xD

For now i'm focusing my cards on Anima and Miseri. Not sure if it's the best choices but i'm having fun.

OP
OP
TheDanimal

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish this game had an auto save feature-my game has crashed on switch several times when I had a good build, and it's so frustrating!

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a run on the Switch in which I completely broke the game. Somewhere around 6th~7th floor all I did was stand in one place quickly mashing the buttons until i won. It got very very boring, ended up going through several floors just doing that, and everything was glitching and super super slow. I actually finished it but I couldn't get out of the credits so I had to close the game and got no unlocks, which was super frustrating.

And my build wasn't ever super crazy, just a bunch of Kunais and Jams.

This has affected my appreciation towards the game a little bit.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Beat the kill all route boss finally and got sent back in time for the second loop. It's crazy how strong you can get (and how strong the enemies get too). Ended up losing to Shiso 6. I'm now confident enough in being able to reach the loop or clear the game now for the majority of my runs. Once you get the boss patterns down you don't have to rely on getting good card combos.

Now time to learn the 5 - 8(?) versions 😂. Will start checking out other characters and learning the Shopkeeper fight now. This is definitely a contender for favorite game this year.

PZ9STH9.jpg

I really like the alt costumes too.

Yeah, you gotta get rid of those speakers quickly to stand a chance. The upside is that if you make it to the loop of the song, you can probably throw a whole bunch of spells at her for free

Yep you are right, seems like it's just really good to start wailing on her when she plays her music.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Valahart for whatever reason the Switch just can't handle large decks.

I had a run yesterday where my first artifact was the one where you get a kunai every time you get hit. So I went Phalanx / Shlashfic and planned to tank a bunch of hits and load up on kunai. Great plan except by world 5 I was hitting 30+ card decks within a few seconds of each battle and the game would chug.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Valahart for whatever reason the Switch just can't handle large decks.

I had a run yesterday where my first artifact was the one where you get a kunai every time you get hit. So I went Phalanx / Shlashfic and planned to tank a bunch of hits and load up on kunai. Great plan except by world 5 I was hitting 30+ card decks within a few seconds of each battle and the game would chug.

I guess I'll be playing on steam then, it's just too frustrating having to be careful about not following certain synergies because it might chug the game.

Can someone confirm it plays smoothly on PC?

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll be playing on steam then, it's just too frustrating having to be careful about not following certain synergies because it might chug the game.

Can someone confirm it plays smoothly on PC?
It's certainly smoother compared to the above Switch reports, but it's not perfect. I've had no stability problems on regular runs, but on 3 occasions the game's softlocked on loop 3/4 when my deck's had 130+ cards in it and I'm maxed out on artifacts. Typically the game starts stuttering a bit during a battle, and then when the reward screen comes up there's nothing to choose from, no option to move forward and I have to abandon the run. I've seen other people report similar softlocks, though I'm not sure how widespread it is.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So there's an achievement for getting 9999 armor... but it also unlocks if you preview a shield spell long enough for the example character to get it that high.

strideredge

Oct 25, 2017
I think I found a glitch on the switch version that powered up my attack well beyond its limits. I have been trying to run a setup with spell power upgrades and found that using Trishot does 60 damage 3 times if they are right in front of you plus X spell damage per shot. I did upgrades yesterday to get that to shoot 9 times plus all the bonuses, which with trinity I was doing something like 2000 damage a shot. One of the upgrades will double its power but then you can only use it once so 60 to 120. For some reason my switch wouldn't let me use an upgrade so I had to save my run and restart the switch. When I upgraded the spell was now base 480 instead of 60. So got that up for 480 X 5 and one shot everything.