• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HOLY SHIT WTF

THIS IS LIKE A DREAM GAME I HAD NO IDEA I WANTED WOOOOOOW

OP you seriously don't understand how mindblown I am right now. MMBN is my favorite childhood series and roguelikes have been my go-to genre for the past decade. I am so excited!

Oct 28, 2017
I don't often say this but this game is too damn hard. You could halve the combat speed without making it too easy; the game is fun but like 20 runs in I haven't progressed past the 3rd zone. Its less surmountable challenge than a giant brick wall; I'd love to try out new characters but that isn't possible without some unlock I can't reach. Just be warned if you buy it liking MMBN and are surprised to be getting battletoads

Oct 25, 2017
Characters are unlocked by defeating them in the 3rd zone :v

The shopkeeper can be defeated any time afaik, she is the only one I am missing.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Dodge red markers, get into green markers, they are either health or shield :)

I have no idea how complete is the modding feature, but there's no way that isn't the first thing people try to make.

Well I'll purchase the game anyhow, just not right no since there's too many games at the moment but such mods would greatly accelerate me buying it! :P

marcus

Oct 27, 2017
im really enjoying this game but the tutorial was not great and I feel like I'm just learning as I play.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
saw some streams and this game looks super complicated, very fast bullethell type game
shame because i like card games, but generally i prefer turn based

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I just defeated and spared the third boss and didn't unlock her, but instead I got a costume for a character I don't even have unlocked yet.
It's not so much the 3rd boss you encounter, but the boss in zone 3-0, the fourth boss you have to defeat. It's a bit confusing initially because of the way the levels are numbered.

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest change from BN that I still need to wrap my head around is that very few attacks lock you in place, thus you can move while shooting, making anything multiple hits AoE, and long attacks even allow you to cast another one while they are happening <o>

Personal recommendation for whoever is having trouble: Chrono Saffron and/or that ring that gives you armor as long you don't cast it (it's REALLY good).
Don't try to play fast just because enemies are fast. Do things at your own pace and don't spam attacks, you can carefully avoid stuff and then do your own thing. Focus on each element separately until you reach the higher stages/feel comfortable enough.

I just defeated and spared the third boss and didn't unlock her, but instead I got a costume for a character I don't even have unlocked yet.
Did you get any achievements in that run? Skins are unlocked either by finishing the game with that character or by getting specific achievements with any character.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, it's just combat? :/ but i also really liked the exploring in Battle Network and jacking into different places...

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone compare the differences from the outdated Steam demo and the final game? I actually already picked it up but haven't had a chance to play yet (but did play the demo).

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's not so much the 3rd boss you encounter, but the boss in zone 3-0, the fourth boss you have to defeat. It's a bit confusing initially because of the way the levels are numbered.
You do have to spare the boss, right?
Did you get any achievements in that run? Skins are unlocked either by finishing the game with that character or by getting specific achievements with any character.
That makes sense, I got the one where you have to win a boss fight with just 1 HP left.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, it's just combat? :/ but i also really liked the exploring in Battle Network and jacking into different places...
p l a y s h a n g h a i . e x e

You do have to spare the boss, right?
Nope

Can anyone compare the differences from the outdated Steam demo and the final game? I actually already picked it up but haven't had a chance to play yet (but did play the demo).
There's a truckload of more stuff, runs are much longer, more varied encounters/rooms, enemy types, etc. As far as I can remember most of the interface and presentation is the same, but it has been a minute since I played the demo.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
p l a y s h a n g h a i . e x e

Nope

There's a truckload of more stuff, runs are much longer, more varied encounters/rooms, enemy types, etc. As far as I can remember most of the interface and presentation is the same, but it has been a minute since I played the demo.
Aww man not touhou man

Shanghai.exe was excellent from what I played but I got stuck at one point, it asked me to go by train somewhere but whenever I went I was told the train isn't accessible yet o.o

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like how you can declare your specialization and get more chips of that type. A feature I've always craved from rogue likes. It's hard to get a "perfect" build, but way more feasible to get a coherent build.

Game is way too hectic though. Especially since some enemies and chips are complicated, and the roguelike stakes are high, it's hard to be deliberate and figure stuff out. It's worth ruining a few runs just to learn though.

I've only done three runs (all to the third stage) but I like it.

As always with deck builders: usually, the correct move is to NOT take a chip after battle.

Oct 25, 2017
As always with deck builders: usually, the correct move is to NOT take a chip after battle.
unknown.png

😰

unknown.png

💦 💦 💦 💦 💦

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I loved the Battle Network games but don't have much experience with rogue likes, would this be enjoyable still?

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Battle Network games but don't have much experience with rogue likes, would this be enjoyable still?
The main draw is purely the combat, so if you want more of BN's tone/storytelling/world exploration, you are not getting any of that. If the idea of white knuckle BN combat with a lot of thought put into developing folder synergies and characters with different mechanics to complement that sounds interesting, on the other hand...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The main draw is purely the combat, so if you want more of BN's tone/storytelling/world exploration, you are not getting any of that. If the idea of white knuckle BN combat with a lot of thought put into developing folder synergies and characters with different mechanics to complement that sounds interesting, on the other hand...

Yeah, I'm talking mainly the battle system. 100% in on that.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
god this game is fuckin good.

hard as shit though. I can consistently get to the 3rd/4th world but the boss just seems to obliterate me every time.

Oct 25, 2017
Got to 6-6, but unfortunately a lot of my health went down thanks to one of the freaking cactus that counter attack and Shiso murdered me. Used a trinity focused deck with a couple of calamities and Sera Canon, pretty solid. With that I unlocked the Lea skin :D :D :D
I really Selicy gameplay and Gunner feels somewhat easier to use, but my closest runs are still with Saffron lol - got spam her Wristwatch more to take less damage

Also, Rock Cycle decks are absurdly fun and murderific.

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere? What are those terms? Flow is?
I think every spell that has flow will tell you what it is when you hover over it, but in the beta is was a buff that lasted until you used another spell. Some spells got a benefit if you had flow when you used them, but otherwise it didn't do anything by itself.

Edit: After seeing it again, flow's description is entirely unhelpful. Unless a spell says it has a bonus on consuming flow, it doesn't do anything and is consumed anyway.

Last edited:

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure what it means, also I think it'll help if the spells are shown in the enemy screen and you have an option to toggle its visibility(size, opacity).

Also, for spells with different ranges, I think there should be two markers with two different colors so that you know pressing what button will land what attack where. Just throwing it out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Never played mega man battle network so I mainly bought this for the slay the spire comparisons, but holy shit the gameplay is way too hectic and fast. I don't understand how you're supposed to do any kind of planning in terms of what spells to use. I find myself just mashing buttons. Going to have to watch that beginner's guide video because the in game tutorial doesn't explain much.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the drill:

Flow, by itself, does nothing. One stack is consumed for each spell cast, with no effects. BUT, if you do have at least on stack of Flow, certain spells and artifacts will trigger effects. In the case of Rock Cycle, you can cast it infinitely as long as you have mana, since it generates 1 Flow after use, and having Flow while using it makes the spell go back to your hand.

Similarly, Frost by itself does nothing. 3 stacks disappear and cause 100 damage. But, certain artifacts trigger effects while doing Frost damage or by having Frost stack. Selyce's Weapon also affects Frost - for each stack the hit target has, it does extra 60 damage, recovers 1 Mana and erases the stacks.

The same with Trinity, it only activates effects if you have 3 stacks, and before that does nothing. The difference is that Frost needs to be stacked on enemies, while Trinity should be stacked on yourself (you still can get Frosted by certain opponents though).

Root makes the target stay immobile (though it can still attack) as long the debuff lasts. Anchor is similar, but to yourself and as long the attack animation lasts. Conversely, most spells do not Anchor you, so you can freely move while using them and they still will play out normally, which means stuff like the double claw attack can theoretically hit once two different squares.

Jams are useless, 1 Mana cost card. But for each you play, certain other cards attack more/with more power.

Consume is like Exhaust from Slay the Spire; the card is gone for this combat.

Fragile makes the target take 50% more damage for an amount of attacks equal to the amount of Fragile stacks.

Flames ignite panels and do damage to anyone standing on them, but after a few cycles of damage, burn out. A bunch of cards affect this.

Poison is also similar to StS, it does damage equal to the amount of stacks each time cycle, and then the stacks go down (by half? not sure).

Crack means a panel or more gets cracked, and if somebody walks over it, it will Break, rendering it useless until some time passes and it fixes itself.

Weapon Damage obviously only affects weapons, and thus is useless for certain loadouts (Chrono Saffron) but also extremely effective for others (Gunner). Meanwhile Spell Damage affects all your attacks but your weapons.

Defense reduces damage but only if taken directly - to your health, not to your Shields. There's an artifact that affects that.

Mana Regeneration is how fast Mana recovers, and besides certain artifacts affecting it, the more cards you have, the more mana regen you get too. You can check how the milestones by looking at your folder and seeing the "0.1 -------" lines, and if you look at the bottom, you can see your total Mana Regen. and the previous stats. You can also see Luck, that increases both difficulty and loot rarity, and can be affected by artifacts (and ascensions, I am guessing).

On the shop, Pacts are like StS curses, but with a time limit (like Chaos Boons in Hades) for the drawback. Upgraders let you give your cards one of three random buffs. You can upgrade cards multiple times but it requires multiple Upgraders. "!" rooms during runs you offer you upgraded cards as rewards.

Hostages come in 3 flavors, black clothes with a coin sack - gives you money if saved; green clothes with a chest - gives you an artifact; and the nurses, that heal you for 100 HP.

Bosses won't give XP or money unless killed, but will heal you for 400HP and randomly appear on future rooms to give you spell/weapon damage, summon turrets, attack enemies or heal you. There's both a "genocide" and a "pacifist" route with different final bosses. If you do plan to go for the latter, make sure to save Reva and try not to die - she gives you one free revive.

Red "!" are "dark world" paths for your current level. Dunno what actually changes in dark world besides the shopkeeper getting a mood, and the background changes.

You start with a free Remover, that erase a card from your deck, and can buy more at the shop, or get some from artifacts. Keep that card flow steady.

When selecting your character, press the "details" button to check what their weapon and starting artifact do, and which spells they start with. For Violette, after using her weapon, each direction is a buff; back is Shield (use before Corset), down is Mana, front is an attack (?), up is Trinity. Move to one of the markers to activate it.

Finally, the aim cursor is always 4 squares away since that's the default range of most spells. Some are 3 squares away (the step sword and the whirlwind that Saffron starts with, for instance), so you only need to aim one back.

And above all else, give it time. You are going to get used to the pace, just remember you don't have to go frenetic with it. Calm down and read the panels to know what is safe.

Last edited:

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere? What are those terms? Flow is?

Flow is useless on its own. But casting any spell consumes it.

The goal is to get a ton of spells that generate Flow and which benefit from it. There's a basic "Cycle Rock" or something that fires a moderate missile and says "If you have Flow, recycle this into your deck. Generate 1 Flow." So if you have Flow before using it, and it's the last in your hand, you can just recycle it straight into your hand infinitely. Non-Flow spells cause Flow decks to choke, because they consume the Flow resource without benefit and without regenerating it.

Never played mega man battle network so I mainly bought this for the slay the spire comparisons, but holy shit the gameplay is way too hectic and fast. I don't understand how you're supposed to do any kind of planning in terms of what spells to use. I find myself just mashing buttons. Going to have to watch that beginner's guide video because the in game tutorial doesn't explain much.

The enemies are super frantic, but you can generally move deliberately yourself. Take a deep breath, line up shots, dodge with purpose (don't just dash around).

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all welcome, I can try to help with how to dodge certain stuff and deal with certain enemies (though it's faster checking out some videos, probably) too if needed. Just don't ask me for help with deck building because I am bad at it, both in StS and here :P

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Gonna buy this at some point, really interested in it and with the isolation thing it might be a good idea. Grew up with battle network and I love slay the spire so this sounds like a mix of the two and therefore amazing lol