• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
TheDanimal

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so hyped for this game, should be a good breather when I have nothing left to do in animal crossing.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Totally forgot this comes out tomorrow. I'm in on this one for sure. :)

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Has anybody here tried the new demo?

I tried the old demo on Steam tonight and have some thoughts:

Pros
+ It's MMBN's combat! And that kicks ass! It feels good to play and looks flashy.
+ It's basically Slay the Spire everywhere else. When I say basically, I mean it *is* Slay the Spire. It has it all: a looping deck, cards that add 0-cost cards (shivs) to your deck, keywords (exhaust, etc), relics, removing cards to streamline your deck, everything. I think it's a smart replacement of MMBN's discrete turns and opens up a lot of possibilities that aren't possible with turns.
+ The branching structure is also pure Slay the Spire. I don't mean this as a bad thing, because StS is the best deckbuilding roguelike on the market, and has inspired a cottage industry of similar games.

- The pace of the game is too fast for me, personally. I get that it's going for a frantic bullet hell style of play, but with you juggling a looping deck rather than a handful of chips each turn like in MMBN, it's too much for me to keep track of while avoiding the many, many projectiles and obstacles on your side of the board. Again, this is just my opinion.
- The "buster" equivalent is fully automatic, which I'm not a fan of. You can use your spells while holding down the buster button, and so unless I'm missing something (very possible, given I spent 20 mins with an outdated demo), there's no reason not to keep it held at all times. As it stands, it just adds even more particle effects and visual noise to the battlefield. I would've liked to see a slow buster that gets upgraded to be more useful as in MMBN. I'm like 99% sure the game has some spells or artifacts to buff the buster, but when it's full auto to begin with and you can hold it down, I'm not sure if there's going to be any meaningful tactical decisions to be made with regards to its use.
- The buster is also bound to X by default (on an Xbox controller), while spells 1 and 2 are bound to A and B, respectively. I think it makes much more sense for buster to be on A while the spells are on X and B so you can buster/spell with your thumb easily, and X/B makes sense in a left/right alignment sense more than A/B.

How different is the Steam demo from the new one? I want to check it out but I don't want to subscribe.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Oops! Misread that. Is the demo still on Steam? I see it in search, but don't see a link on the page.

Looks like it's gone from the page, but Google pulls this up: https://store.steampowered.com/widget/1007020. You can click on it and it should open up Steam and ask you to install the demo.

I've watched a bit of footage from the presumably near-final build released to streamers on YouTube, and it looks nice and polished. I still don't like the automatic buster though.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Looks frantic and fun. Not really digging the art style, though.

Oct 25, 2017
- The pace of the game is too fast for me, personally. I get that it's going for a frantic bullet hell style of play, but with you juggling a looping deck rather than a handful of chips each turn like in MMBN, it's too much for me to keep track of while avoiding the many, many projectiles and obstacles on your side of the board. Again, this is just my opinion.
FWIW, I had the same experience with the demo, but after two or three runs the pace "clicked" with me. Dunno how well it will go when you have larger decks, but mostly keeping an eye on enemies and just getting a "feel" for the order of your spells was enough for me to beat all of the bosses in the demo/unlock all of the content. It's absolutely going for a more frantic, BN3 post game style, pacing but it's manageable after getting used to it. Obviously, I can't speak for the harder difficulties the final release has lol

Edit:
Also, the auto buster is not something all characters have, and the difference in their styles is pretty big

Last edited:

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, I had the same experience with the demo, but after two or three runs the pace "clicked" with me. Dunno how well it will go when you have larger decks, but mostly keeping an eye on enemies and just getting a "feel" for the order of your spells was enough for me to beat all of the bosses in the demo/unlock all of the content. It's absolutely going for a more frantic, BN3 post game style, pacing but it's manageable after getting used to it. Obviously, I can't speak for the harder difficulties the final release has lol

That's good to hear, because the demo's pace was honestly pretty off-putting in an "I'm getting too old for this shit" kind of way. I still very much have it on my radar, but I'll wait for general impressions from people who aren't MMBN or action roguelike mavens. I love MMBN but never actually finished one, much less tried the post-game, nor have I gotten past the third floor in Enter the Gungeon.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I always wanted a game where I played as a Touhou boss.
There's also Touhou Gensou Rondo which is a Senko No Ronde (top down bullet hell fighting game) clone with Touhou characters...
300px-Touhou-Genso-Rondo-Bullet-Ballet-PlayStation-4-Standard-Edition.jpg

OP
OP
TheDanimal

TheDanimal

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a little bit so far today, and this game is legit. It's like slay the spire hyped up on caffeine. So far so good!

Oct 25, 2017
Playing for a while, unlocked a couple characters. Speed is quite noticeably slower than in the demo, suppose that is reserved for higher ascensions. A lot of cool synergies and enemies to learn patterns, no successful run yet ):

I am also feeling that the reward for killing bosses do not outweigh giving them mercy and suddenly get double or triple assists in future fights, but it's early.
How's the difficulty? Also, is the buster still fully automatic? As in there's no downside to constantly firing it by holding down the button?
The automatic buster is only one of 3 weapons that Saffron has. Each character has multiple loadouts, some that trade the free weapon for a permanent chip/card/spell.

Edit-
Some enemies will attack back (in one case at almost unavoidable speeds) as soon they get hit, so holding down attack against them is heavily discouraged.

OP
OP
TheDanimal

TheDanimal

Oct 25, 2017
How's the difficulty? Also, is the buster still fully automatic? As in there's no downside to constantly firing it by holding down the button?
Seems pretty difficult to me so far haha. Looking forward to learning, but a lot is happening on the screen at all times.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm waiting for a touch more reviews and feedback, conflicted between getting this and good job

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty difficult to me so far haha. Looking forward to learning, but a lot is happening on the screen at all times.
Playing for a while, unlocked a couple characters. Speed is quite noticeably slower than in the demo, suppose that is reserved for higher ascensions. A lot of cool synergies and enemies to learn patterns, no successful run yet ):

I am also feeling that the reward for killing bosses do not outweigh giving them mercy and suddenly get double or triple assists in future fights, but it's early.

The automatic buster is only one of 3 weapons that Saffron has. Each character has multiple loadouts, some that trade the free weapon for a permanent chip/card/spell.

Edit-
Some enemies will attack back (in one case at almost unavoidable speeds) as soon they get hit, so holding down attack against them is heavily discouraged.

If either of you have the Switch version, can you tell me if you can rebind buttons so that buster is on B with spells on Y and A? I vastly preferred that setup when I tried the Steam demo.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The game is fun so far. I wish there was some kind of narrative, even if it was a super brief thing at the start of the game since you just get thrown in but that's a minor complaint. The battles are good and it animates really well. Haven't completed a full run yet since it's pretty difficult.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
I've never heard of this game, but I am 1000% going to buy this after work. Thank you OP for bringing this beautiful looking game to my attention.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
Really fun so far, pace is a bit too fast for me, both in general gameplay and in where Battle Network gave you time in between rounds for a bit of a breather to select your chips too. But still, lot of fun, starting to get the hang of it and adapting to the fast pace.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
It's definitely fast, but I've been getting used to it as well. Wish the unlocks for characters and skins were described, but I also haven't been able to progress so far lol.
My biggest issue is it gets hard to quickly know which spaces are OK when under a volley of attacks, your field becomes too busy with warnings.

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely fast, but I've been getting used to it as well. Wish the unlocks for characters and skins were described, but I also haven't been able to progress so far lol.
My biggest issue is it gets hard to quickly know which spaces are OK when under a volley of attacks, your field becomes too busy with warnings.
Press the detail button (square/X/switch Y) when selecting a character to see descriptions for their artifact, spells and weapons.
There's three important things about warning panels: one is that the red "aura" closes into the panels, so they are safe until the warning aligns with the board; two is that if you time it correctly, you can move through attacks (required to dodge through Shield Gal's blasts), if you are not on the screen, you don't take damage; three is that a lot of the attacks are very specific patterns and as long you don't get the timing too wrong, you can just move in the correct counter pattern and you'll be safe even if you don't know exactly what is going on (for example, Terra's diagonally bouncing projectiles never hit orthogonally adjacent panels, so you can do a single sidestep or a L shaped movement depending where you are to stay safe the entire duration of the attack).

The last two tips are classic Battle Network play, it's just memorization and practice :)

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How does it run on Switch? I'm super leaning towards getting it on Steam but being able to play anywhere is appealing.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How do you dodge Violette's wave attack? I can't get the timing down right for it. :(

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I watched some of the PC version and saw that there's a "Mods" option in the main menu.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Which wave attack? The fullscreen wave? For that you don't dodge, you get into the green markers while she is playing the song to stack shield so you can tank it.
Ahhhh okay. I was dodging the notes the whole time! She's been my gatekeeper so far in the later rounds. Thanks!

Also, Gunner with the homing weapon is so damn good.

As for Switch performance, it seems like it runs smoother on handheld than docked. I've experienced way more judder/slowdown especially in the later levels when the action gets really intense. Saved my butt a couple times though!

Oct 25, 2017
Well, holy shit. If you open your folder between fights, you can select up to 2 brands to have better chance of getting spells from. If that was touched upon the tutorial, my bad, I accidentally skipped it >.>

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Well, holy shit. If you open your folder between fights, you can select up to 2 brands to have better chance of getting spells from. If that was touched upon the tutorial, my bad, I accidentally skipped it >.>

I wondered what those question marks meant, now the spells having types makes more sense.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The tutorial is really poor. It's also extremely hard to take everything in on the big screen. I'll try play handheld later and see if that's any better but yeah it was a lot to take in and the bad visuals don't help. Battle Network is nice and clear (at least until you get to later game fights) and Slay the Spire lets you take your time and absorb everything. Not the case here.