• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
was all ready to plunker down and play this finally but the first stage is already at the Wano arc? I'm only at the Katakuri fight in the anime, guess I won't be playing this for a while then
the Wano story is not cannon, there are some elements form the story but it's not that much really

there is really only two major things that this game could spoil i guess but really not that significant

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Anyone else feel like the clear time grading is a lot stricter than the prequels? The only way to get an S for clear time is ignore everything and go straight for the main missions.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How does the Switch version stack up to the third game on Switch - i like the Switch version and was happy with its performance. Does OPPW 4 performs as well ?

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
was all ready to plunker down and play this finally but the first stage is already at the Wano arc? I'm only at the Katakuri fight in the anime, guess I won't be playing this for a while then

It's a training level and it's non-canon. When you finally reach the Wano arc, that's non-canon as well since the arc is unfinished in the manga.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
TBH, being unable to orient your power dash in the opposite direction you're facing does mean that you're often left with a dilemma of either dashing the opposite way you want to go after ending a combo, or having to wait out the full animation of your attack. It doesn't bother me one bit but I can see how it feels restrictive after PW3's dash any-which-way anytime design.

As someone who has spent hundreds of hours on the previous entries, I know exactly what you mean. PW4 is more chaotic than the previous games; you do have less control over your movement.

That said, I think the trade-off is worth it. PW4 plays insanely well. Power dashing feels incredibly good, and the way you can chain combos almost infinitely is really satisfying.

Is the map/level design still Musou-like? I mean, fighting with/resucing allies, army vs. army stuff. I noticed in some videos that capturing bases is no longer a thing? Not sure how I feel about that.

Capturing territory is executed better now than in any previous PW game, simply due to the fact that territories are much larger now. Previously, fighting enemies in-between territories was a bit pointless as you weren't catching any territory. Now, you're almost always claiming territory. I'm really happy about this change!

Why the hell am I getting emotional playing a freaking Musou game T_T

I've seen the final Alabasta scene a dozen times now but I still get teary-eyed from it, lol

OP
OP
AgentLampshade

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
So the game splits each arc into several missions, then dumps the entirety of the second half of Dressrosa into one single mission? Ok. Here I am playing as Barto while Luffy's going Gear 4th and I have one minute of time left. That'll be a mission restart then yeah.

Barto's quite fun, but I can't say I'm a fan of technique types all that much. Too much roundabout moves and I can't quite see the advantages over the other types.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the story just started from Dressrosa onwards because rehashing the PTS arcs for the third time, as much as I adore Alabasta, ain't it.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
So the game splits each arc into several missions, then dumps the entirety of the second half of Dressrosa into one single mission? Ok. Here I am playing as Barto while Luffy's going Gear 4th and I have one minute of time left. That'll be a mission restart then yeah.

Barto's quite fun, but I can't say I'm a fan of technique types all that much. Too much roundabout moves and I can't quite see the advantages over the other types.
An issue I've had as well. I find it funny Crocodile has like two levels dedicated to fighting him alone, yet they tack on the Doffy fight to a standard battle mission. I was kinda peeved honestly. Playing as Cavendish is fun, but not in that fight.

The technique types I'm curious about. I played Bege and man... that was a rough fight. He's moves are so obtuse and require such setup, with what feels like not worth it damage. I've honestly been holding off on Hawkins because I'm terrified it's going to be awful.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah but its some kinda skill or something that ostensibly applies a bonus to your end of level points, but i dont understand how it works either. mine is always 0

OP
OP
AgentLampshade

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
What's "Brothers' Sake Cups"?
It's a skill you get from Sabos tree. Or Aces. One of the two.
I wish the story just started from Dressrosa onwards because rehashing the PTS arcs for the third time, as much as I adore Alabasta, ain't it.
As someone going through the anime again, I agree. I find myself wondering how many times Aces voice actor recorded his dying lines.
An issue I've had as well. I find it funny Crocodile has like two levels dedicated to fighting him alone, yet they tack on the Doffy fight to a standard battle mission. I was kinda peeved honestly. Playing as Cavendish is fun, but not in that fight.

The technique types I'm curious about. I played Bege and man... that was a rough fight. He's moves are so obtuse and require such setup, with what feels like not worth it damage. I've honestly been holding off on Hawkins because I'm terrified it's going to be awful.
Bege was one of my most hyped characters, but now I'm getting pretty scared of playing him.
Maybe I'm just being impatient though. I'm basically rushing through the story to unlock all the characters, so I'm not fully invested in playing each stage properly or really learning the characters yet.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a pro-tip, there's a bunch of skills scattered throughout each playable character's upgrade map. Don't wait to play each character before making a sweep of their map, you might find useful general purpose skills, like one that increases the number of coins received after a mission.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Bege was one of my most hyped characters, but now I'm getting pretty scared of playing him.
Maybe I'm just being impatient though. I'm basically rushing through the story to unlock all the characters, so I'm not fully invested in playing each stage properly or really learning the characters yet.

I rushed through it as well and only played Bege once, so it's possible I may not have the best grasp of him. It makes sense they may require more work than say Katakuri or Cavendish.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Anyone know the requirements to unlock some of the island on in with question marks on them? I've finished the campaign, but several characters still have some of those locked. They tied to other unlocks or treasure log?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Sanji's siblings are absolutely insane!! I know people are upset that four character slots went to the Vinsmokes, but god damn are they fun to play. Ninji is my favorite, though I haven't tried Reiju yet.

I get what you're saying, but tbh there isn't enough content from Dressrosa onwards, and you wouldn't get the same map variety. On the positive note, the PW franchise hasn't fleshed arcs out this much since PW1. They even add some scenes that aren't in the manga originally, like the first episode of Water 7 which otherwise happens off-screen in the manga.

Power dash was made for Sanji. He can juggle enemies in the air and reset all day.

Just wait until you unlock characters of type Sky. They are insanely fun to play!

OP
OP
AgentLampshade

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god who's idea was it to make pause a confirm option when cutscenes are already paused? I just wanted to unpause, not skip!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
lmao crocodile is so fun now, just turn invincible and shoot people with sand over and over, then juggle them up across the entire map

OP
OP
AgentLampshade

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Playing as Law confirmed it for me. Technique types suck. A shame. Law was one of my favourites in PW3.
Playing as Carrot now though, and she's much much better.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean don't all technique characters require a full skill tree and a lot of well technique to make good tho? Like I feel a few wind up broken only after some practice and experimenting

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they had Big Mom get launched by the patented Kaidoi club in the intro.

OP
OP
AgentLampshade

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Law is insanely good though. The only annoying thing is of course fighting enemies that move around a lot, given the fact that they'll be outside of your room.
It's not my playstyle at all. Too slow and I don't like his base charge attack. Unless I'm missing something It just creates a room; a room that is formed from his regular attack anyway so it seems utterly wasted.
Can't believe they had Big Mom get launched by the patented Kaidoi club in the intro.
I'm so salty at that haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Hancock was a good Technique character. Played her in a Treasure Log.

Sakazuki: Son of the Dragon
THE Dragon? Come on Bamco... this is getting tiresome.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Playing as Law confirmed it for me. Technique types suck. A shame. Law was one of my favourites in PW3.
Playing as Carrot now though, and she's much much better.
I just tried Hawkins. He's not bad. His technique part is cursing foes with his regular attacks, then you press square/Y on it's own and something, I think depending on how many people cursed, falls from the sky. This ranges from a barrel that does little damage to meteorites that do high, AOE damage. His regular attacks do OK damage, but it's easy enough to curse large groups of people to make it work.

My problem is, the idea of a technique character is they're supposed to be complex, but super rewarding if played well. I've played Big Mom and Kaido, the only threat to them is the camera. I effectively just mash buttons and win, maybe avoid Kaido's combo that takes forever to finish. I legit doubt Law, Bege, or Hawkins can even come close to their level.

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the game! Looking forward to diving in

quick question I can't seem to find in menus. Is there a dedicated area to use the coins? Only place I've seen is when you start a mission my my ocd likes to use coins as soon as possible. Hopefully I'm just missing the area to do this. I think there was a place in pw3

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
Luffy Gear4 is literally madness, feeling like a Godzilla destroying everything, game is crazy fun to play!

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my playstyle at all. Too slow and I don't like his base charge attack. Unless I'm missing something It just creates a room; a room that is formed from his regular attack anyway so it seems utterly wasted.
From what little I've played of him, you can set up enemies in a room and then attack enemies outside of it so you simultaneously deal damage to both. You clear large groups so easily.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
My problem is, the idea of a technique character is they're supposed to be complex, but super rewarding if played well. I've played Big Mom and Kaido, the only threat to them is the camera. I effectively just mash buttons and win, maybe avoid Kaido's combo that takes forever to finish. I legit doubt Law, Bege, or Hawkins can even come close to their level.

I get where you're coming from, but tbh you're overthinking it. Big Mom and Kaido are emperors -- of course they're going to be stronger than the three characters you mentioned. Does this make the game unbalanced? Sure. All PW games are unbalanced. If all you're after is playing as the most powerful characters, there is nothing stopping you from doing so, but the developers clearly didn't intend to give every character equal strength. Tbh, in musou games you don't pick a character because they're strong (every character is broken anyway), you pick a character because you think they are fun to play.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know the requirements to unlock some of the island on in with question marks on them? I've finished the campaign, but several characters still have some of those locked. They tied to other unlocks or treasure log?

Apparently they are tied to receiving specific gold coins. Start farming Treasure Log for ones that look related to the character I guess!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i like how my plan was to try and get caught up pretty far in one piece before this game came out but ultimately i only just got past loguetown in the manga lol

oh well, maybe by pirate warriors 5

to be fair i didnt become interested until late last year

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord this game is fun. I haven't had this much fun since PW1. The new combo system is really a game changer, same with the customizable specials. Now I see why there were cuts because everyone feels different. And the fact that not every stage is comprised of basic squares and some levels are just bosses is the variety I missed from 1.

The anime music pack just puts the icing on this delicious cake.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Apparently they are tied to receiving specific gold coins. Start farming Treasure Log for ones that look related to the character I guess!
This seems to be it. An island previously locked became unlocked once I got some gold coin. Man, they're making sure you play every last bit of their content here.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious that Zoro got his original clothes in this game but they removed his Enies Lobby jacket

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Man, the overhaul to Zoro's TS moveset is fun as hell. I love that you can pull off most of his specials in midair, making moves like Billion-Fold World Trichiliocosm hype AF.

Also, Snakeman is doooope
I find it hilarious that Zoro got his original clothes in this game but they removed his Enies Lobby jacket
It's almost hilarious, mostly baffling.