• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
As a huge fan of Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi warriors, what makes One Piece "the best musou"? Can't say I'm at all familiar with One Piece but what little I've watched in years passed seemed sorta cool. Would watching the show be recommended before playing or nah?

This video does a good job breaking down why the previous game is considered one of the best, if not THE best.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is grest news, but I just don't understand why they never do a proper Fighting game for One Piece. If it was done in the vein of Fighterz it would maybe sell more than these musou games? And shit, it would be incredible.

Oct 26, 2017
This is grest news, but I just don't understand why they never do a proper Fighting game for One Piece. If it was done in the vein of Fighterz it would maybe sell more than these musou games? And shit, it would be incredible.
The last 2D fighting game on consoles was Fighting For One Piece and.....yeeeeaaaah we don't talk about that one. lol

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How does 3 run on Switch?

I know some Musous struggle on there.

Also I've only played Hyrule Warriors, what makes PW3 better than that?

Because I thought the Moveset Variety was great in HW.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
YES!! Holy shit.

I wasn't expecting this game to be announced out of nowhere. I guess 4 years is enough of a break for them to make a new one.

Still sequel to the best One Piece game and musou I can't wait.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
How does 3 run on Switch?

I know some Musous struggle on there.

Also I've only played Hyrule Warriors, what makes PW3 better than that?

Because I thought the Moveset Variety was great in HW.
My take on it is that both games have pros and cons and enough differences that I don't think you can clearly decide one over the other. But they're definitely both at the top of the pile. PW3 generally has less diversity in gameplay than HW, as HW has a good variety of mission types and map size restrictions, as well as sub-weapon systems that serve well to keep you from doing too much of the same thing over and over. It also has "too much" content with its selection of adventure maps.

PW3, on the other hand, has more playable moversets (pretty sure) with even more unique character mechanics (can be hit-or-miss), more potential for flashy over-the-topness with its team building system, the absence of sometimes tedious enemy types that force you wait for a weak point to appear. Its got a decent spectrum of "decent-to-godlike" characters, which you probably can only appreciate as a fan of the series (the most broken characters are appropriately so, matching their strength in the source material). The strongest characters are also ridiculous compared to HW's strongest characters, so it's way more power-trippy in that sense. Some annoying mission types like needing to cut-off NPCs trying to reach a destination or it's game over. While not difficult, if you're liable to lose track of the objective you'll get hit with failed missions out of nowhere. There's also fewer sub-systems to interact with, like a simpler character progression system and no universal sub-weapons or anything like that.
YES!! Holy shit.

I wasn't expecting this game to be announced out of nowhere. I guess 4 years is enough of a break for them to make a new one.

Still sequel to the best One Piece game and musou I can't wait.
I had a feeling that Pirate Warriors was on hiatus simply because the only way to make an interesting enough selling point for a new one was waiting for the manga to show Big Mom and Kaidou, thus allowing them to finish adding the Yonkou.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I give zero fucks about the anime one piece. With that statement out there I have to say the pirate warrior titles are easily in my top 2 musuo titles usually tying with orochi 3 ultimate.
Even for a non enjoyed of the source material these museum titles are Incredible.

Tons of enemy variety, tons of moveset variety, flashy attacks, great systems for combat, great upgrade systems, great economy for exp and other necessities, large fun levels.

Basically everything Hyrule Warriors got right happened in the One Piece games first.

Seeing this return has happy. Sadly orochi 4 and all stars left bad tastes In my mouth from either lack of polished or shoved down my throat mechanics that replace instead of enhance the experience like the magic weapons. Cant wait to play pirate warriors 4.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Character wishlist:
Big Mom and Kaido. Confirmed.
Katakuri. Basically confirmed.
Some Charlottes as bosses. Amande or riot.
All the Supernovas. We can get a partial moveset out of the ones we haven't really seen yet. Bege is a most wanted though.
Bartolomeo. Popular character, interesting moveset. Would be great.
Carrot. Sulong specifically. Flying across the maps like Sonic.
If we must have the Germa, have them be a unit rather than individual character slots. Have R1 be the character swap button to cycle through them. Hire me Bandai.
Kin'emon. He's now become very important in the manga, but he hasn't really done much in the way of combat. Would like him as a support character at least.
Jack. It's a pity the anime has only shown the least interesting Calamity so far, but he'd make a good boss fight. Queen for PW5!

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
AW SHIIIIT. FINALLY, THE BEST LICENSED MUSOU RETURNS.

With the break they took after the 3rd one, here's hoping it'll be way more than a roster update and I'm in.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Has the PC version still all these issues it had before like it being stuck on Low Settings? I ask because I have it on PS4 but wouldn't mind double-dipping.
Yeah, I played the game a year ago and it still looks really bad. I don't think Bamco has released any patch for the PC version...

If you have it on PS4, I suggest you play it there since it's basically a superior version.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
More arcadey but solid musous. Jump into 3, it builds on all the previous ones and the roster is pretty dang solid too

Now port Gundam Warriors to switch! I want a localized Gundam game on my switch please
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 is not only the best One Piece but also the best Warriors game.
If you are interested in Musou and/or One Piece, get it.

@Topic: Great news, best Musou returns!
Pirate Warriors 3 is FANTASTIC!! Steam has it on sale right now. Regular Edition is $10 and Gold Edition is $13! Sale goes on till July 9 :D
Perfect! I'm excited to jump in.

Before I jump on the Steam deal, how is the Switch port? I'm going on a flight tomorrow and it would be nice to play some comfy One Piece on the plane if the port isn't too horrendous.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So is OP gonna be stuck in the musou genre for good? :(
OP needs a FighterZ-esque game asap

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Koei Temco still supporting the Switch.

Yeah, for good or bad things won't change now...

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The more you ask for it, the more you tempt fate into giving you a terrible CyberConnect2 arena fighter instead. It happened to JoJo, My Hero, Little Witch, and One Punch Man, and it'll happen to you too.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo has become second biggest Switch supporter behind Square Enix. If they had stronger IPs they would be no.1

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
You're right. A FighterZ-grade game is well deserved and long overdue, but with the hundreds of unique characters in the series, a musou game is honestly perfect for One Piece. If it were supported (and I can't believe I'm saying this) as a GaaS type thing with frequent updates like characters and maps to mitigate the repetition, then you've got both the perfect One Piece game and the perfect Musou game right there.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling that Pirate Warriors was on hiatus simply because the only way to make an interesting enough selling point for a new one was waiting for the manga to show Big Mom and Kaidou, thus allowing them to finish adding the Yonkou.
Swear I remember an interview or quote that said they were waiting for more story arcs with new characters for them to add.

Before I jump on the Steam deal, how is the Switch port? I'm going on a flight tomorrow and it would be nice to play some comfy One Piece on the plane if the port isn't too horrendous.
Switch port is fine, plays well, graphics aren't as good as PS4 but doubt you'd notice if you never played that version. Iirc switch version has all dlc on it, whilst the others you'd buy but it's mostly just costumes

why is it the best one?
This video does a good job breaking down why the previous game is considered one of the best, if not THE best.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I looooooved Pirate Warriors 3. One of my favourite Musou games next to AoT2 currently. Definitely hyped for this even if I have fallen off OP anime/manga for some time now.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know how it is in Pirate Warriors 3,but there are Musou games that cut back on enemy density on weaker platforms. So if the Switch Version has a lower enemy count then go with PC. A quick Google search didn't give me an answer though. But if you are looking for a great One Piece game in Switch the Unlimited World Red might be for you. I greatly enjoyed that one on the Vita.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I do not know why I could not enjoy PW3 as much as Hyrule Warriors but I'll keep an eye on it.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
will wait till they make one for ps5 i think. wanna see what they can do with these type of games on there might be insane.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
will wait till they make one for ps5 i think. wanna see what they can do with these type of games on there might be insane.
Pirate Warriors 3 had a last gen version as well. So PW4 is the first current gen only Pirate Warriors entry so we might see a boost in number of on-screen enemies and visual fidelity to some extent compared to PW3.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say outside of Big Mom, Katakuri, and Kaidou, the most likely characters would be Ichi (with Niji and Yonji as back up attacks), Bege, Carrot, and Bartolomeo. Kinnemon probably should be there too, but he still hasn't done all too much. While I'm not completely sure if he'd be playable, Cracker almost certainly would be in the game since his abilities are perfect for a Musou boss at the very least. Jack's got a good shot too. Not sure about anyone else. I'm assuming that this will pretty much end with Whole Cake Isalnd and maybe a tease of Wano.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Given how PW3 added 10 chars if we go with 10 again I would like to see:

Big Mom
Katakuri
Kaido
Reiju Vinsmoke
Ichiji Vinsmoke
Carrot
bartolomeo
Cavendish
Vergo (Was NPC in PW3)
Monet (Was NPC in PW3)

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say outside of Big Mom, Katakuri, and Kaidou, the most likely characters would be Ichi (with Niji and Yonji as back up attacks), Bege, Carrot, and Bartolomeo. Kinnemon probably should be there too, but he still hasn't done all too much. While I'm not completely sure if he'd be playable, Cracker almost certainly would be in the game since his abilities are perfect for a Musou boss at the very least. Jack's got a good shot too. Not sure about anyone else. I'm assuming that this will pretty much end with Whole Cake Isalnd and maybe a tease of Wano.

Big Mom is already in.

One-Piece-Pirate-Warriors-4_2019_07-05-19_008_600.jpg

Outside her:

- Kaido (pretty much in as well going by his club)
- Katakuri (no way in hell he doesn't get in)
- Carrot (see Katakuri)
- Judge
- 1 or 2 Vinsmoke children (likely Ichiji and Reiju)
- Cavendish (Hakuba)
- Bartolomeo
- Capone Bege (Huge role in Whole Cake)
- Basil Hawkins (recently relevant)
- X Drake (see Hawkins)
- Vivi (Reverie relevancy)
- Wapol (Reverie relevancy)
- Jack (if they need Kaido to have a subordinate)

Last edited:

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the screenshots it appears they may have revamped Luffy's moveset as he now has Gigant Thor Axe as a move. Of course it may replace regualar Axe which was ST before.