• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the strawhats like kombucha? Because I like kombucha. It'd be cool if they like kombucha too.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
People thinking too small the real final Davy Back fight will be Straw Hats v Marines. Straw Hats will win And that's how Smoker and Koby join the crew.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I just reread the whole series. Davy Back Fight fucking sucked. It felt like a filler arc that somehow snuck into the source material. The only redeeming part was the Aokiji thing, which 100% did not need an entire arc of never-to-be-referenced-again nonsense to set it up.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the concept of the davy back fight was somehow important in the future, you could just do the same exposition with a more interesting setting/antagonist. It was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Davy Back Arc could be important in the future tho Oda is sneaky like that
hahaha-no.gif

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I was so sure Davy Back was filler when I was watching the series for the first time.

Although the Sanji/Zoro team-up and the time-delay punch from Luffy were badass.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
It was cool to see Robin have to join the davy back pirates even if it wasn't in the manga. Yeah they had to reverse that by the time they got to the rest of the manga chapter, but it was still cool to see them try and win robin back.

Kado

Feb 11, 2021
Critics of the DBF need to accept that it was just an excuse by Oda to give us Afro Boxing Luffy. Which eased us into the silliness of Franky's SUPER personality.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Davy Back Arc could be important in the future tho Oda is sneaky like that
Foxy used his slow slow powers when Akainu was about to kill Ace, to fake his death.

When we next see Foxy, Ace will be a brainwashed Davy Back pirate and Luffy has to win him back.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people thought Angry Birds would rule gaming?

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Also, I believe we already know that Blackbeard current HQ was the birthplace of the Davy Back Fight and also where the Rocks Pirates were formed. So there's already some potential connections in there.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Its basically at the end of it
Yeah, weird at the time to see Luffy get his ass handed to him, but nice motivation for him to work on the Gears forms.

That was such a weird arc for me. With Water 7, I knew a few things, like Luffy and Usopp fight and this is where Franky joins, though I guess technically he doesn't join the crew until Ennies. I knew about Gear 4 in terms of it's design but didn't know much about gear 2 and 3, I expected there to be a Gear 1 as well.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Tbh I wouldn't really mind shorter arcs which are just small adventures. In that sense, the Davy Back Fight was a nice change of pace. And Foxy was cool, fight me.

It's a shame that the only short arcs that we get at this point are lore dumps like Reverie or Zou but I understand why that is the case. Oda wants to end the series eventually, after all.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I wouldn't really mind shorter arcs which are just small adventures. In that sense, the Davy Back Fight was a nice change of pace. And Foxy was cool, fight me.

It's a shame that the only short arcs that we get at this point are lore dumps like Reverie or Zou but I understand why that is the case. Oda wants to end the series eventually, after all.

I think fans would react negatively to a small scale arc anyway.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Metroid Dread looks so damn good. It's been a long time since I've been this excited for a game.

Also, the design for the antagonist is just incredible:

GpLpsd7.png

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
lemme throw a dart at a board real quick

the worst one piece arc is Little Garden thank you and have a nice day

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's okay to be wrong y'all, just like Skypeia haters were :P
Skypeia kinda dragged in the middle when the crew was dealing with Enel's minions, but it picked back up in a big way towards the end. Enel's reaction to Luffy's powers, the flashback with Noland and Kalgara, the big party after the fight...all great stuff. I also like how it felt like a self-contained episode while still hinting at some deeper backstory. I really enjoyed Skypeia.

lemme throw a dart at a board real quick

the worst one piece arc is Little Garden thank you and have a nice day
Yeah I was thinking back on all of the arcs the other day and I remembered how bored I was during Little Garden. Now that arc is actually bad.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
The worst one piece arc is still better than 90% of other shonen arcs

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Forgot to mention it but volume 97 finally came out in the states and I picked it up. This one contains chapters 975-984. It may only contain 9 chapters but for the most part it's packed with iconic Wano moments. Kin's iconic plan, Jinbei's return, the rest of the Tobi Roppo, and the full reveal of Yamato. Are some of the highlights from this volume.

I remember when these chapters came out last year the speculation on what was gonna happen was intense. I actually forgot that Who's Who even quipped that it's fine if the All-Stars take out a Tobi Roppo member. As he also has someone he wants to take out. At the time I thought it was a hint that Who's Who had some beef with either King, Queen, Or Jack. Turns out it was just a set up for his eventual reveal about Luffy (though Oda had a good red herring with Drake later).

Still it's easy to forget how jam packed these chapters were (no doubt aided by the anime's slow pacing). In the next volume release the Samurai will be on the roof fighting Kaido, The performance floor will start it's decent into hell, we get some of the gorgeous panels of Kaido in his dragon form, Maybe Drake defecting from Kaido's crew as well. Plus we'll get more scene of Yamato who is a character pretty much everyone wants more screen time for lol.

All in all I think people are gonna like the raid more then they currently do when they are able to read it all from start to finish. The constant breaks make things go slow but releases like this remind me. When you read it all back to back shit starts flying by.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion