• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
399re1vbrsj71.jpg
:o

Kado

Feb 11, 2021
How can anyone watch that vid and think Yamato isn't next

Because the "?" is obviously Vivi. They just don't want to spoil her showing up in Wano!

Seriously though, it is marketing, but it is pretty aggressive marketing. And that 9/4 date? The same date as Yamato's introduction in the anime? Let's go!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Luffy can't even fight 10 minutes in Gear 4 without needing another 10 to rest up. I stand by my washed statements until he beats Kaido

Luffy in base form was fighting Kaido for a good while using CoC .
I doubt the admirals even as tough as Kaido in term of taking damage .
Luffy easy on par with admirals now after all the buff last 2 arcs even if he could lose in the end due to stamina .

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's pretty aggressive xD

But i find it weird, why wait this long just to reveal how he looks like one week before the actual reveal in the anime?

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone watch that vid and think Yamato isn't next
So on a whim, I decided to use some computer enhancement skills. By sharpening the lines and then blurring them again, inverting the above image then rotating it 180°, saving it as a .wav file before converting it back into a .psd, inverting it again and rotating it another 180°, I was able to deduce the truth. The answer might surprise you.
tENfvJL.png

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
So on a whim, I decided to use some computer enhancement skills. By sharpening the lines and then blurring them again, inverting the above image then rotating it 180°, saving it as a .wav file before converting it back into a .psd, inverting it again and rotating it another 180°, I was able to deduce the truth. The answer might surprise you.
tENfvJL.png
Makes sense

Though these towels (I think they are towels?) make me wonder what would Yamato's color be. White?
Carrot would definitely be light green

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know this, the fight wasn't shown.

You had momo giving a update on the fight .
You can also tell some time pass after we saw law come down and what happen to them afterwards then we see luffy KO.
Like we did not see Chopper and Queen fight for 30 mins but it was about that long because his rumble ball was hitting it's limit .

EDIT reading it over if you saying he could have been using gears with CoC yeah that possible since we did not see the fight .

Last edited:

Kado

Feb 11, 2021
Is carrot still eating grass

I think she's just taking a nap. Wasn't she the first alliance member to get knocked out? And her only company are the presumed dead scabbards. Maybe grass is to Carrot what meat is to Luffy and she'll come back supercharged for round two.

EDIT reading it over if you saying he could have been using gears with CoC yeah that possible since we did not see the fight .

Yeah, I think this is the issue that we don't know if Luffy fought Kaido in base form. No one doubts that Luffy lasted for 30+ minutes soloing Kaido. But we know from Cracker and Katakuri, Luffy can fight for hours at a time. To lose in 30 minutes means either Kaido overpowered Gear 4 (which he did in Act 1), or Luffy ran out of haki, implying he used Gear 4. Oda might just be saving CoC Gear 4 (or Gear 5?) for his tag team with Yamato.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
You had momo giving a update on the fight .
You can also tell some time pass after we saw law come down and what happen to them afterwards then we see luffy KO.
Like we did not see Chopper and Queen fight for 30 mins but it was about that long because his rumble ball was hitting it's limit .

That's what I meant, yeah!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think she's just taking a nap. Wasn't she the first alliance member to get knocked out? And her only company are the presumed dead scabbards. Maybe grass is to Carrot what meat is to Luffy and she'll come back supercharged for round two.

Yeah, I think this is the issue that we don't know if Luffy fought Kaido in base form. No one doubts that Luffy lasted for 30+ minutes soloing Kaido. But we know from Cracker and Katakuri, Luffy can fight for hours at a time. To lose in 30 minutes means either Kaido overpowered Gear 4 (which he did in Act 1), or Luffy ran out of haki, implying he used Gear 4. Oda might just be saving CoC Gear 4 (or Gear 5?) for his tag team with Yamato.

From reading what Kaido said i think it was possible he ran out of haki just using CoC since it went to his head .
It going to be interesting to see what limit Oda put on CoC haki because right now haki limit is how he nerf luffy .
If luffy did not have stuff like that he would be admiral \ yonko class easy and no longer be under dog in any way .

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Has Yamato's VA been revealed yet? It felt like we knew the tobi roppo like a month before they were introduced or something

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Has Yamato's VA been revealed yet? It felt like we knew the tobi roppo like a month before they were introduced or something
They seem to be hiding it, probably because Yamato is a far more important character. Plus, it helps hide the initial gender twist.

I wouldn't be surprised if it still turns out to be Ryoko Shiraishi and her role as Bao Huang is just her pulling a double role. Huang barely has any lines.

Aug 12, 2019
Is the Fishman Island arc not liked by the OP community? I just read the Fisher Tiger flashback last night and it was really compelling to me. I've been really enjoying this arc so far.

Fishman Island is by far the most inconsistent arc in terms of quality IMO. Thriller Bark comes close, but Thriller Bark just achieves some ridiculous highs and at least Moriah is a fleshed out character (and Perona is fantastic as well). I think Fishmand Island just sort of suffers from the flashbacks being fantastic, but the actual present stuff only occasionally rising above a "just fine" level. Which is a shame because it has a lot of the right ingredients, but it also ends up having a very lackluster cast for the Fishman. I think Shirahoshi is far and away the worse princess Oda has ever written, two of the three princes are completely forgettable, it's nice to see Cami again but she gets sidelined, etc. Hody Jones almost works, but I think that Oda stopped short of really delving into racism and its roots and how it perpetrates across society so his whole revolution just kind of feels too convenient (I don't expect Oda to always go super deep on leftist ideology, but I think Fishman Island never really commits to going as deep into it as it should and doesn't like exploit the nature of socioeconomic forces the same way I do think Oda has generally commented on with the Celestial Dragons and the use of money above the surface so to speak).

Fisher Tiger, Otohime, the connections back to Arlong and Jimbei all really are so perfect for most of that arc, but it just felt a little underdeveloped in places and Oda failed to make a cast in the present that I cared for. It also got saddled with probably the worse villain in the whole damn series with Vander Decken, had the baggage of being the "look at how strong the Straw Hats got post timeskip" arc that meant the villains weren't really ever that threatening, etc.

It's so close to be something really good and I just find myself wishing it had gotten the same sort of treatment that Whole Cake and Wano have gotten in terms of depth and character studies. I don't think it's the worst, but it's inconsistencies are hard to ignore.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I really don't understand how anyone can think Fishman Island is worse than Punk Hazard
Is it just Law?

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
At the time when it was current Punk Hazard kind of lived off the hype of characters like Law and Smoker returning and the excitement of a future arc involving Doflamingo. I guess in retrospect when you remove those elements it's kind of a big nothing arc but I still have a soft spot for it. Caesar's still great too.

I think Shirahoshi is far and away the worse princess Oda has ever written
Dang, worse than Rebecca? I guess I didn't mind Shirahoshi that much because I felt like Oda was leaning so far into her crying and being a weakling that it because absurd so I was able to accept her more as just another weird One Piece character. As opposed to Rebecca where it felt like she was supposed to be a more serious character

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
At the time when it was current Punk Hazard kind of lived off the hype of characters like Law and Smoker returning and the excitement of a future arc involving Doflamingo. I guess in retrospect when you remove those elements it's kind of a big nothing arc but I still have a soft spot for it. Caesar's still great too.
Yeah, I figured it was something like that

Recently reread both of them, and the gap between the two is way bigger than it was when I first read them. Before, I'd say I liked/disliked them equally, but now? Nah, Fishman Island is a legitimately good arc. Punk Hazard is still meh. (for OP standards)

Things that hold back FI compared to PH imo - The lack of cool characters (Law/Smoker), Shirahoshi being annoying, Sanji being annoying(/the humor not working) and a decent antagonist.
The rest, FI does better : worldbuilding (/foreshadowing/pay-offs of previous arcs), character moments, art, Island design, flashback (well, PH doesn't have a flashback) and story in general.

Aug 12, 2019

Dang, worse than Rebecca? I guess I didn't mind Shirahoshi that much because I felt like Oda was leaning so far into her crying and being a weakling that it because absurd so I was able to accept her more as just another weird One Piece character. As opposed to Rebecca where it felt like she was supposed to be a more serious character

I mean I agree that Rebecca was completely butchered and a massive wasted opportunity, but at least she had some conviction and outside of the anime doing everything it could to ruin her even more, I just find her more bearable. I mean that warrior outfit is among Oda's most laughably awkward treatment of a female character too, but I dunno, I could stand Rebecca. Shirahoshi's constant crying I didn't even find endearing as a cute character and I felt like setting her up as a late game macguffin completely robbed the character of any agency too.

I won't argue if someone says Rebecca is worse because she's completely wasted and is a horrible characterization, but like, I personally have more tolerance for her than Shirahoshi and at least her entire arc doesn't revolve around the worst villain in the whole series falling for a child and doing one single thing a hundred times over because his Devil Fruit literally just does the one thing. Rebecca has the greater wasted potential, but Shirahoshi just has the greater cringe factor I don't like at all TBH.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Punk Hazard was good at setting up future arcs, and enjoyable enough at times, though there was some stupid shit mixed in.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Fishmen Island is a very underrated arc but most of its issues tie back to its placement as the first post-timeskip arc and the arc's lackluster first half. By the time the Strawhats get to Fishmen Island it is hard to view anything as a credible threat: which the arc intentionally emphasizes. But it's also hard to accept the island residents being so distrustful of the Strawhats after the events of Sabaody & Marineford as well as Jinbei's presence. And sure enough, the residents don't hate the Strawhats and it takes a series of real dumb misunderstanding to place the Strawhats as the arc's underdogs. Even Hody doesn't really hate the Strawhats personally; it's purely a situational conflict for him. Had the arc (somehow) occurred before the timeskip, a more believable story could've been built of the Fishmen Island residents being conflicted between Luffy being the man who defeated Arlong but also being the man who punched a Celestial Dragon.

But even keeping it as a post-timeskip arc, there are a lot of ways to speed up the arc. Getting rid of the separation plotline & series of misunderstanding would've skipped a lot of pointless meandering and made the arc more enjoyable. Just make the Strawhats as honored guests before Hody starts his shit: nothing of value is lost. Plus, it's not like we even got to explore Fishmen Island. Besides the castle & forest, everything else ran together into a generic underwater theme (none of the Strawhats even visited the Fishmen district)

I'd also shorten or get rid of the final Hody confrontation. Luffy chasing him down was pretty pointless and felt like it only happened because it's a Shonen arc so it had to. The same ship falling plotline could've still happened, since that seems important in the long run. Just instead have Hody get one shot'd again and then activate it as a last "fuck you" to everyone (so basically what happened but quicker).

That said, there's a lot to like about the rest of the arc. The flashback is great and Oda does a decentish job at telling a kids story about racism & hate. I also liked that Hody's hatred was baseless and that he really was a hate filled weakling with the world's most ill-thought out plan. Hody's gang were basically just a terrorist group. Not sure I like that he planned Otohime's assassination (a crime of passion seemed more appropriate) but overall I think his story worked out.

Rest of the arc's cast is decent, though none of them really matter outside of the royal family. Even Shirahoshi is decent since her issues are actively called out by other characters (unlike Rebecca). I wish she wasn't a giant 16 year old in a bikini but that wish was always doomed with a mermaid story.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to separate out Punk Hazard from Dressrossa, which I hated. Fishman Island dragged incredibly badly, though. I think it's probably the worst arc in the series that isn't Davy Back Fight.