• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
be honest, how many times has one piece made y'all tear up??
All the time. I rewatched the cherry blossoms scene with Chopper and Kureha this morning and felt them coming.

An underrated one I don't often see is Nami forgiving Jinbe for letting Arlong loose in the East Blue. I think it's the only time we've seen Jinbe break down.

Dr.Hadji

Apr 21, 2018
Finally got myself a Crunchyroll sub so I'm making my way through the anime where I left off. I'm used to the lengthening (filler?) the anime has to do but I didn't notice before how different arcs can make for better filler. Dressrosa turned Luffy's ascent up to meet Mingo was basically anime Dynasty Warriors. Luffy Gum-guming through endless enemy fodder, made for a slog of a viewing experience.

Conversely, the scenes added to Whole Cake, thus far anyway, have been much more enjoyable. Being able to put in extra musical numbers makes for some solid filler content. Having Luffy fight his way back through the lower members of Big Mom's crew to get back to the Sanji meetup is some solid filler. Gets a little slow sometimes, but that's when I start multitasking.

OP
OP
Reyes

Finally got myself a Crunchyroll sub so I'm making my way through the anime where I left off. I'm used to the lengthening (filler?) the anime has to do but I didn't notice before how different arcs can make for better filler. Dressrosa turned Luffy's ascent up to meet Mingo was basically anime Dynasty Warriors. Luffy Gum-guming through endless enemy fodder, made for a slog of a viewing experience.

Conversely, the scenes added to Whole Cake, thus far anyway, have been much more enjoyable. Being able to put in extra musical numbers makes for some solid filler content. Having Luffy fight his way back through the lower members of Big Mom's crew to get back to the Sanji meetup is some solid filler. Gets a little slow sometimes, but that's when I start multitasking.
Glad your catching up

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yea WCI and the current arc have been a lot better of how to wisely pad out the episodes

Not all the time, but a lot of the time lol

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
That Pudding clip made me go back and watch the whole Soul Pocus bit from the anime since I think I'd only watched it once back when the episode originally came out, and man it's so good.

I remember an interview or something from way back where Oda said he worked with One Piece's composer Kohei Tanaka when he was first coming up with the lyrics to Binks's Sake, so that they basically already had the full song and melody written ahead of time. Do we know if they did something similar with Soul Pocus and the other musical bits from Whole Cake Island?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Beat Mass Effect 3 tonight. I beat it back in the day on the 360 originally. But I never played the citadel dlc or watched the extended ending stuff. After now experiencing them both thanks to the trilogy release I can firmly say. Citadel is one of the best pieces of dlc BioWare ever made and it might be the best Mass Effect dlc period.

for the ending and the extended edition additions. Still doesn't help it stick the landing. Just a bandaid over gaping wound. My only hope for the next MassEffect game is the ME team don't just go "red ending was the right one" and make that one the canon one. Cause they really don't have a lot of options thanks to the way this game ends when making ME4 lmao.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
This episode was so bad, it actually left me pissed off. How many pages from a manga was this episode?!! Five?!! I'm gonna look... Surprisingly, ten. It felt even slower than last week and did not reward viewers with any highly animated action shots. They desperately need to have seasonal breaks.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should note that there's also a "worst case scenario" where Toei uses the You fight Pirates at Sea, Denjiro appearing and Momo's speech as three separate cliffhangers, thus pushing the Jinbei episode to 4 episodes from now (aka 3 weeks from today). But that type of pacing would bode very very poorly for how they plan to handle the rest of the Raid.
Lmao even my worst case scenario was too optimistic as they ended the episode before Momo's speech

Oct 26, 2017
Thought we were gonna get some good sakuga for Kawamatsu fighting Kanjuro, but nope. lol

Funny how this episode covered more pages but felt painfully slow. At least I had my expectations low since I already knew the upcoming episode titles.

If the next episode doesn't end with
Jimbei showing up,
then I'm taking a break until they land at Onigashima.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Thought we were gonna get some good sakuga for Kawamatsu fighting Kanjuro, but nope. lol

Funny how this episode covered more pages but felt painfully slow. At least I had my expectations low since I already knew the upcoming episode titles.

Jimbei showing up,
Enjoy your break!

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
It was a cool shot seeing the mountain god get cut down.

We didn't need to see it again in full.

Ooft. 3 separate shots showing the ships. We're well and truly back in classic One Piece anime territory now.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Jimbei showing up,
Not sure if he might not show up at the very end of next episode but I do remember based on episode titles people talked about a few weeks back that we know he'll be in the episode that airs after next week for sure. But yes pacing is now back to unbearable again.
--------------
Started Miles Morales this week cause it was on sale and wow the music is amazing. The first hours it all just vibes perfectly for me.
--------------
Looking forward to spoilers in 2 days I'm crossing my fingers for the flashback pretty hard. Also hoping still that last chapter was actually a Zeus chapter and not a Nami chapter in the sense that Oda has something else planned for Nami/Usopp cause the framing it of it all was just pretty lame if that was their main contribution to this war. I've seen someone suggest a horror scenario in which Oda is going to pull this contrived shit for all the non haki using strawhats which I refuse to believe because Oda should know that isn't any way to pay off so many years of building up Wano. People wanna see the strawhats bring their A game, exhaust themselves and get that hard fought W in the end. If people move away from the Yonko war feeling like it was less hard fought than any of the previous arcs that would be a massive failure.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
break week is the perfect time to start new series :-x
Frieren is very dope but even just limited to jump more people should give elusive samurai or witch watch a try.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a sticky situation to me

I'mma lollipop y'all if you don't check it out 😉

Is this actually good? The name gives me synesthesia sensations. I can taste that title.

I'm enjoying it so far. The premise is basically the author looking at One Piece's WCI arc, and thinking "Ooh, I know what powers my characters are gonna have..."

As in, sweets. The main power system is people have sweet-related powers.

The protagonist is a girl, which is always appreciated, and in just the first chapter alone it had a surprisingly good amount of characterization for her. Art's pretty solid as well. Good sense of humor. Etc.

Now, it literally just started with Ch. 9 coming out tomorrow, so it's not gonna blow you away or anything, but I like it. Normally I don't read new series until they build up a bunch of chapters, but my friend pushed me to read it, and I'm glad I did so far.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna recommend Frieren: Beyond Journey's End again on the same page for non Jump stuff. I feel like a ton of people here would possibly like that. It's been running for a while now too with 50+ chapters. Not sure what I could compare it to, my gut would say it's a much more sombre version of dungeon meshi that also has much more subdued humor but I don't feel that comparison works all that well. And well anyone that likes Kaguya should of course read Oshi no Ko.
----------
On a sidenote I was trying to figure out what I liked about the merphy videos that got shared around and I think it's that total fresh perspective of someone not entrenched in battle shonen or even manga and them slowly but surely catching what kind of series One Piece is. There is a rawness to her perspective and it's really fun to see how she started very casually to reaching the point now where she is reckoning with a reread. It's very noticeably different to how Mark's journey went.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna recommend Frieren: Beyond Journey's End again on the same page for non Jump stuff. I feel like a ton of people here would possibly like that. It's been running for a while now too with 50+ chapters. Not sure what I could compare it to, my gut would say it's a much more sombre version of dungeon meshi that also has much more subdued humor but I don't feel that comparison works all that well. And well anyone that likes Kaguya should of course read Oshi no Ko.
----------
On a sidenote I was trying to figure out what I liked about the merphy videos that got shared around and I think it's that total fresh perspective of someone not entrenched in battle shonen or even manga and them slowly but surely catching what kind of series One Piece is. There is a rawness to her perspective and it's really fun to see how she started very casually to reaching the point now where she is reckoning with a reread. It's very noticeably different to how Mark's journey went.
Frieren is *fantastic*. Can 100% back up this recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.