• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Hey Rouk' what's going on bro. It feels like anything with a solid anime these days suddenly translates into crazy backlog sales.
Some things explode after their anime, some don't. Tokyo Revengers and Jujutsu Kaisen aren't the only solid animes of the past year.
But you can consider what's happening right now as the explosion of a new "generation" of manga. The previous gen recently ended, and so, successors were needed. Stuff like Haikyu, Seven Deadly Sins, Assassination Classroom, Magi, Terraformars, Food Wars, etc all exploded in the same period (more or less). TPN, while more recent, also recently ended.
That's one thing. Another is that people that started to read manga through Demon Slayer are now looking for something else to read. First it was Jujutsu Kaisen. Maybe Tokyo Revengers is next.
In general, the entire manga market is doing well. Hard to say which part of that is caused by Demon Slayer, and which part by the pandemic (cause it created a boom overseas too)

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Is RogersBase the only "big" One Piece-focused channel that refers to Yamato as a man?

I do know that Morj, BDA Law, and Sawyer still refer to Yamato as a woman despite all the evidence to the contrary. Really disappointed in all of them.

Joy Boy Theories being a clown does not surprise me in the slightest, I still remember his nuclear take during the BLM protests last year.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Some things explode after their anime, some don't. Tokyo Revengers and Jujutsu Kaisen aren't the only solid animes of the past year.
But you can consider what's happening right now as the explosion of a new "generation" of manga. The previous gen recently ended, and so, successors were needed. Stuff like Haikyu, Seven Deadly Sins, Assassination Classroom, Magi, Terraformars, Food Wars, etc all exploded in the same period (more or less). TPN, while more recent, also recently ended.
That's one thing. Another is that people that started to read manga through Demon Slayer are now looking for something else to read. First it was Jujutsu Kaisen. Maybe Tokyo Revengers is next.
In general, the entire manga market is doing well. Hard to say which part of that is caused by Demon Slayer, and which part by the pandemic (cause it created a boom overseas too)

Also feels like social media buzz is more of a thing now since Spy x Family and Chainsaw Man were up there too

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
What a long way we've come. We went from making jokes of act 3 to a sudden "maybe there will really be an act 3 in a few weeks"...

We still gonna be going through this in five years when Yamato is either part of the crew or at least a major ally like Law and all the official material is still referring to him as a man?
Law is a SH already, even if he just thinks he is an ally, he's full on part of the crew now.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is RogersBase the only "big" One Piece-focused channel that refers to Yamato as a man?

I do know that Morj, BDA Law, and Sawyer still refer to Yamato as a woman despite all the evidence to the contrary. Really disappointed in all of them.

Joy Boy Theories being a clown does not surprise me in the slightest, I still remember his nuclear take during the BLM protests last year.
Last I checked, Tekking uses Yamato's correct pronouns as well.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Grandlinereview does refer to Yams as a man. That channel is pure fluff content but I've kind of haven't stopped putting it in the background on some days.
www.youtube.com

The Next Straw Hat | WANO SPOILERS | One Piece | Grand Line Review

Today on Grand Line Review, we will be discussing the next straw hat! Wano spoilers incoming!🔴 Subscribe for more One Piece content: https://www.youtube.com...
this was back last year too.
What a long way we've come. We went from making jokes of act 3 to a sudden "maybe there will really be an act 3 in a few weeks"...

Law is a SH already, even if he just thinks he is an ally, he's full on part of the crew now.
I'm just setting up for more material. Create hope for act 3 then meme it into the ground again.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

Randy Troy and JoyGirl refer to Yamato as a man, but they're smaller Youtubers.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019

Morj in particular is super disappointing. Earlier he was like "oh if Luffy referred to them as a he then I'll do the same" and then he proceeded to keep using she/her anyway.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
right now, I'm watching Punk Hazard with my sister... when Caesar explains what the smile is... I couldn't help but laugh.
Also Oda had already mentioned that Haki could block Law's ability, when Doflamingo tells Law that he shouldn't be too confident because Vergo's Haki would block his power. :O OMG..

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Truth is every year we get a few series that blow up thanks to anime .
This also goes for light novels that get a anime .

right now, I'm watching Punk Hazard with my sister... when Caesar explains what the smile is... I couldn't help but laugh.
Also Oda had already mentioned that Haki could block Law's ability, when Doflamingo tells Law that he shouldn't be too confident because Vergo's Haki would block his power. :O OMG..

You had Oda saying that if you fast enough you can get around FS \CoO since amazon lily but some did not think back to that .

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
At the time, I thought it was just referring to the cutting part of his ability. But yeah, it wouldn't make much sense for haki to just cover against some aspects of a Devil Fruit.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Grandlinereview does refer to Yams as a man. That channel is pure fluff content but I've kind of haven't stopped putting it in the background on some days.
www.youtube.com

The Next Straw Hat | WANO SPOILERS | One Piece | Grand Line Review

Today on Grand Line Review, we will be discussing the next straw hat! Wano spoilers incoming!🔴 Subscribe for more One Piece content: https://www.youtube.com...
this was back last year too.
Ah that is good to know!

Nice to see that at least some of the channels use the correct pronouns.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Truth is every year we get a few series that blow up thanks to anime .
This also goes for light novels that get a anime .
True
Though it's important to remember that Jujutsu Kaisen did more than "blow up".
In terms of sales, it's a top 3 manga of the 21st century (Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, Jujutsu Kaisen).
And even before that, there aren't that many manga that reached such highs.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Member when some people were seriously thinking that Chopper would just sit down and make the cure for the rest of the raid?

I member :P

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Chapter 1014
200.gif

(Kaido to Luffy at the beginning of the chapter)

Lots going on this chapter. Damn Kin'emon is a real one. Kiku! Who would've thought I would hate Kanjuro this much. We all know Luffy is coming back so the declaration didn't quite do it for me. Oda has used this particular schtick way too much imo. But hey, Chopper vs Queen hype. I don't even know where we gonna focus on now. Luffy coming back? The Robin battle? Whatever Momonosuke just found out? Find out on the next piece of One Piece!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
True
Though it's important to remember that Jujutsu Kaisen did more than "blow up".
In terms of sales, it's a top 3 manga of the 21st century (Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, Jujutsu Kaisen).
And even before that, there aren't that many manga that reached such highs.

True the last one before that was DS and before that AoT that got really huge .
Which is like you list is says.

Member when some people were seriously thinking that Chopper would just sit down and make the cure for the rest of the raid?

You can't say that chopper did not get any shine this arc .
He get to use his doctor skills twice in the arc and he fighting way above his weight class .
It not having any effect but he going all out while taking on queen and taking arrows from pero .

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

I certainly didn't expect Chopper to slap Queen so while I didn't think Chopper would just do only that I didn't have high expectations. That said ice oni was really dragged out glad it's over.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I really liked the declaration of Luffy's defeat. It was basically the reversal of that moment in almost every arc where Luffy's victory gets loudly announced to everyone else.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
True the last one before that was DS and before that AoT that got really huge .
Which is like you list is says.
The other huge 21st century manga are Death Note, but it never quite reached those highs, and Nana, who peaked at a point similar to where JJK is right now (so it'll soon be overtaken).
20th century though, there's more. But even the great successes did not always manage to beat what JJK is currently doing. (Naruto or HxH peaked below that for example).
Are above/on par with JJK : One Piece, Slam Dunk, Detective Conan, Kindaichi, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Maruko-chan and Be-Bop Highschool.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The other huge 21st century manga are Death Note, but it never quite reached those highs, and Nana, who peaked at a point similar to where JJK is right now (so it'll soon be overtaken).
20th century though, there's more. But even the great successes did not always manage to beat what JJK is currently doing. (Naruto or HxH peaked below that for example).
Are above/on par with JJK : One Piece, Slam Dunk, Detective Conan, Kindaichi, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Maruko-chan and Be-Bop Highschool.

Would have been interesting to see how big certain things could have gotten.
Like Assassination Classroom got huge but done rather fast .
Nana got huge also but then author had health issues .
Funny enough alot manga that blow up over the last few years on the shorter side but that seem to be how series are now.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Imagine being Queen and thinking "How can I make my neck even longer?"

...Is Queen also capable of extending his neck in his human form or was he somehow able to modify his Zoan form without changing his original body?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being Queen and thinking "How can I make my neck even longer?"

...Is Queen also capable of extending his neck in his human form or was he somehow able to modify his Zoan form without changing his original body?
Queen doesn't even have a neck in human form lol. His dino form seems to be an intentional joke about his ridiculous human design

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Kanjuro's last line was hinting at a modicum, and I do mean a modicum, of guilt towards Kinemon in particular?
Remind me, have we found out why Kanjuro is the way he is?

He was raised in a theater troupe and saw his parents killed onstage for being Kurozumis. He lost the will to live and retreated into becoming an actor, the only thing he's ever known. Orochi approached him and gave him one big role to play out, one that would ideally lead to his death and give his life meaning. Thanking Kinemon was his way of thanking him for making the "story" of his life dramatic enough.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
He was raised in a theater troupe and saw his parents killed onstage for being Kurozumis. He lost the will to live and retreated into becoming an actor, the only thing he's ever known. Orochi approached him and gave him one big role to play out, one that would ideally lead to his death and give his life meaning. Thanking Kinemon was his way of thanking him for making the "story" of his life dramatic enough.
Ahhh, right, right.

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I'm just setting up for more material. Create hope for act 3 then meme it into the ground again.
That looks like a good plan.

I mean, yeah. Chopper hasn't done much in a long time. I'm very impressed (and pleased) with what we've got right now. Robin still fighting is also just... perfection.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This chapter is the first time that the official translation directly used the masculine pronoun 'he' when referring to Yamato I believe....unless I forgot one.

Nah it's happened before

He was also one of the people that had "issues" with Captain Marvel

Grandlinereview does refer to Yams as a man. That channel is pure fluff content but I've kind of haven't stopped putting it in the background on some days

Dope, very dope

People asked for this I think
ZhG7Lsl.gif

Also dope

Lol

Hammy af

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on Spy x Family, I wonder if Yor and Midnight will find out about each other this arc or if the author is gonna keep dragging the reveal out.

Also Yor is so ridiculous she's basically superhuman.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Act 3 next week will be the 60th chapter of Act 3. Getting close to Alabasta length now

Oct 25, 2017
Only 28 more chapters until Wano is longer than the Chimera Ant arc. Considering Oda's breaks, that will probably happen next year.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Kanjuro's death is most likely real as he's been talking about his fatal wound from Kiku for a while now. Plus, his death here ties up his story from a narrative perspective. Kanjuro and Orochi (eventually) are simply characters that can't be allowed to live in a Samurai story.

Kiku also considers her wound fatal but there's 3 doctors on the island with bullshit medical feats and powers, so never say never. That said, she basically doubled down on the death flags with that death quote & smile.

Kin is the most visually impactful death and fits various tropes on its own. But what I think is most important here, from a narrative perspective, is that everyone at least thinks Kin is dead. It's important that Luffy & Yamato face the repercussions of their failures in the form of Kin's death. Luffy because he promised to beat Kaido on the rooftop and Yamato because he promised to protect Momo. Yamato, in particular, fell prey to the Samurai trope of the upstart being battle hungry & abandoning their mission to do something else: resulting in a tragedy such as this one. Of course, this would normally mean Kin's death is the most assured from a narrative perspective; however, this is One Piece and Oda is not above walking back narratively important death scenes after the storyline has been completed.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Damn, Kiku and Kin 😟🥺 this act had been brutal on the scabbards.

Spy X Family was fantastic 😂👀 Yor is a beast.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that Kanjuro's the only one I'm 100% sure is dead. At this point there'd be no reason to drag him back into the story and make him get defeated a third time.

The other two I'm leaning toward they're also dead but who knows

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Kaido complains about the mess Big Mom made and then proceeds to crash all the way down to where Momo is, creating a mess of his own in the process

What a hypocrite!

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
This chapter is the first time that the official translation directly used the masculine pronoun 'he' when referring to Yamato I believe....unless I forgot one.
It's been used a few times with Luffy and some other characters. I remember Luffy specifically said "He" when introducing Yamato to Momo.

Yeah, Besides "Yamato" "Young Master" "Yama-O"
Greg uses "He" for referring/calling Yamato on Eng official translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.