• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017

images

PB, chocolate spread, bananas, and raspberry jam in between three slices of bread

Bro you wildin that ain't a sandwich that's some crazy foreign delicacy that just happens to include bread and spreads

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get about early Viz translations is when they change the name of something clearly in English.
Like how they call Nami's Clima-Tact a "Climate Baton". Like what's the logic?
Seriously, One Piece needs a major translation overhaul from Volume 1. Same with Dragon Ball.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
What I don't get about early Viz translations is when they change the name of something clearly in English.
Seriously, One Piece needs a major translation overhaul from Volume 1. Same with Dragon Ball.
Does Tact mean something specific in this case? I may just have not understood the name.

I personally think Viz does a pretty good job on like 90% of the decisions, especially their proper nouns and titles all feel very piratey and fairy tale-like in a way scans rarely capture. However the one bizarre one that stands out to me every time is "Ponegliff" instead of "Poneglyph." That just makes the concept more confusing as -glyph is a common suffix for carved symbols in English while -gliff is a nothing nonsense spelling.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
However the one bizarre one that stands out to me every time is "Ponegliff" instead of "Poneglyph." That just makes the concept more confusing as -glyph is a common suffix for carved symbols in English while -gliff is a nothing nonsense spelling
Elbaph gets to me. What was wrong with spelling it as 'Elbaf?'

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Anyone supporting peanut butter and honey over peanut butter and jelly is out of their mind. Honey as a sandwich topping is solely a plan B for when you're out of jelly and for nothing else.

PB&J is the food of the gods. All deviations from that formula are steps down because you can't improve on perfection.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does Tact mean something specific in this case? I may just have not understood the name.

I personally think Viz does a pretty good job on like 90% of the decisions, especially their proper nouns and titles all feel very piratey and fairy tale-like in a way scans rarely capture. However the one bizarre one that stands out to me every time is "Ponegliff" instead of "Poneglyph." That just makes the concept more confusing as -glyph is a common suffix for carved symbols in English while -gliff is a nothing nonsense spelling.
Elbaph gets to me. What was wrong with spelling it as 'Elbaf?'
Aaah yes I love this, guys.

Seriously the Viz translation is so lacking sometimes. I didn't even know about the Clima Tact since I read that in German only.

Oct 25, 2017
Major missed opportunity by Toei not to have more classical music during arc climaxes.
Episode 126 is still so damn good.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad that the last episode of Kaguya-sama season 2 is this weekend

Season 3 let's go!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Bleg giving me a feeling so complicated with these takes

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You all need to go to the Baratie to learn how to cook. Zeff needs to give some of ya'll a slapping.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the translator trying to validate his work, since he doesn't want to just copy and paste what the scan groups already do

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First off, peanut butter is disgusting

Secondly, read Chainsaw Man

Status
Not open for further replies.