• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Oda works with One Piece is unreal. The fact that the series still feels fresh and interesting after more than 20 years is incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
This one isn't fully confirmed yet but...

latest

main-qimg-5960d4e4097081609d7e3f0a0057b448

People theorize that the ship in the first pic is a giant straw hat.

This is on top of the countless moon symbology littered through the series. A recent one in Wano with the Daimyo families all being named after the moon (except for the Kurozumi clan)

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
No Zoro, Robin and Usop for almost 2 years in the Big Mom arc though in the manga. Those are supposed to be main characters. Yet the anime has them in the intro during that arc.

One Piece changed though. First half had much more emotional investment and was more dramatic, eg the chapters involving the gathering of the crew and their backstories, even their new ship or the story with Ace, Trafalgar Law as kid, Don Flamingo's brother and background etc

Now manga became much more light hearted and comedic in tone and is focusing more on the minor details and countless characters (over 600 already). One reason I preferred the first half.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Zoro, Robin and Usop for almost 2 years in the Big Mom arc though in the manga. Those are supposed to be main characters. Yet the anime has them in the intro during that arc.

One Piece changed though. First half had much more emotional investment and was more dramatic, eg the chapters involving the gathering of the crew and their backstories, even their new ship or the story with Ace, Trafalgar Law as kid, Don Flamingo's brother and background etc

Now manga became much more light hearted and comedic in tone and is focusing more on the minor details and countless characters (over 600 already). One reason I preferred the first half.
Law's backstory was like 200 chapters ago out of 970+.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't really call the recent arcs light hearted compared to what came before.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
One Piece has always had its light hearted elements. That hasn't changed since day one, especially not of as late.

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece has always been a balance of comedy and drama.
Wano may have goofy moments like Zoro befriending a smiling goofball, Sanji donning a Sentai costume, or an amnesiac Big Mom asking if her title is a treat.
But at the same time, 75% of the country is starving to death, people speaking against the corrupt Shogun are sent to a prison camp, a good chunk of the population has had their emotions shut off thanks to artificial Devil Fruits, that same goofball is publicly executed and all the people can do is laugh as they're incapable of anything else, and next chapter we're probably going to see Kozuki "Chad as Hell" Oden getting boiled alive.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this is the same skill Toriyama used while writing Dragon Ball but Oda had more planning on his side to make things fit a lot better.
remember how in Dragon Ball a lot of things ended up fitting well despite being zero planning and making up everything as he went along? that was his skill as a writer. Oda has this too but backed with a lot more planning. there's a bunch of stuff he didn't plan out but he wrote in such a way it was easy to retrofit things. also, the series is written in a way to allow tons of expansion and additions without breaking the original main plot and endgame.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oda's background characters are always more detailed than average. And these people didn't even know if devil fruits were real. I can't imagine this was always intended to be the pirate king's crew.

Do we know of any fruit users on Rodgers crew? Shanks crew is also the same, they talked down devil fruit in the first chapter and seemingly don't use any.

Edit, I'm also not counting buggy since he was a cabin boy at the time. Buggy is also the opposite to Rodger and Luffy adventure for the experience mentality.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is obvious, he was the most notable and senior member depicted on the crew. Notice how buggy shanks and Rayleigh are still the most notable members of the crew almost a thousand chapters later. He wouldn't a introduced them with that specific dynamic for no reason.

Also the mans name is Silvers Rayleigh do you really think an author like Oda who clearly does plan major arcs in his story wouldn't at least have drafts for such a person right from the onset. Do you think someone would come up with a name like gold roger and then many years later decide to call the second in command silvers something rather than thinking them both up at the same time?

Oh fuck silver and gold how did I never seen this?! Wtf this is some Brad Phoenix Down shit.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess there probably won't be new members huh.

Unless Luffy isn't counted here like Aaronrules380 said.

Man. the artstyle used t be so damn good

Iirc luffy's actual diolige is "about 9 or 10" so that would take into account things like do you count Luffy or Vivi though I guess Vivi fits into the princess brigade now.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This one isn't fully confirmed yet but...

latest

main-qimg-5960d4e4097081609d7e3f0a0057b448

People theorize that the ship in the first pic is a giant straw hat.

This is on top of the countless moon symbology littered through the series. A recent one in Wano with the Daimyo families all being named after the moon (except for the Kurozumi clan)

That's a great detail, thanks

I think it's the complete opposite lol

The first half of OP didn't had anything like cannibal Big Mom or Smile fruits

Oct 27, 2017
this is the same skill Toriyama used while writing Dragon Ball but Oda had more planning on his side to make things fit a lot better.
remember how in Dragon Ball a lot of things ended up fitting well despite being zero planning and making up everything as he went along? that was his skill as a writer. Oda has this too but backed with a lot more planning. there's a bunch of stuff he didn't plan out but he wrote in such a way it was easy to retrofit things. also, the series is written in a way to allow tons of expansion and additions without breaking the original main plot and endgame.
It's nothing like Dragonball. Oda very intentionally plans things and has said he has extensive notes to keep things consistent. Toriyama has literally said he makes things up as he goes

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Agreed. One Piece is my favorite series but I think what makes Oda a great writer is the fact that he leaves himself those little details that he can expand upon later. And not just the Shonen Stare / Haki argument. You can have unnamed characters, tattoos, locations, etc... and I'm still equally impressed.

On that note, I still think Haki was a little shoehorned in and if it was fully fleshed out earlier it would have been different.
Yeah, this. There is some legitimate planned foreshadowing that you can see (Fishman Island and Jinbei's mentions) but a lot of it is Oda tying in his new ideas with his old material really, really well.

I think my absolute favorite example is haki being shown way earlier than it became a real thing in Skypiea, under a different name as Mantra. At the time it was just a new power people separated from the Blue Seas had, and it's likely Oda thought of it that way, too - but he was able to snowball it into something real when he decided to roll with the haki concept later on.

Oda is a master at making everything fit together. One Piece gets this praise so much it's almost tiresome to hear people say it over and over again these days, but it's because it's true. It has the ultimate payoff for long-time readers.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
You can see from Prototype sketches that Oda did before the series started that have a lot planned out before the series started, including the general concept behind all the crew members
Here's a prototype of the crew from 2 years before the series started

and that in the corner is a later prototype that also includes numbers for when they'd join
greenc3.jpg

Like clearly a few things changed in terms of the actual designs, and certain details were shuffled like apparently Brook was at one point going to join the crew before Franky based on the second image, but it's clear he had a lot planned out (and that white space in the top left seems super suspicious so I'm willing to bet they whited out planned crewmembers who hadn't joined yet to avoid spoiling the story)

This is from Databook Green by the way
Wow, this is actually insane

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's important to remember that unless Oda actually instructed the anime staff to include the Hiruluk line that is just a non canon anime coincidence like Luffy hearing the voice of a Dragon pre grandline.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

This is a crazy take considering the last 10 chapters or so.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't tell if Oda had an utterly massive plan straight from the beginning, or if the man just checks his notes Very Carefully.

My favorite foreshadowing was definitely Brook. Bink's Sake makes me cry.
Considering the series was supposed to be 5 years in total, it's the latter. He's one of the most meticulous writers around.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many chapters we'll need to wait to find out what the hell is the egg on Roger's ship.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
f49666e4efce1dda0e3e15f5764b89a1836501b8v2_hq.jpg

1e910d8f0cf1298d6391f36d8867c382b730d100v2_hq.jpg

I honestly expected the creator of 5.5 to be long dead, so learning it was a giant (who have long lifespans), so learning it was a giant that had joined the Revolutionaries was cool

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Need to hop back into the series.

Stopped watching the anime after Dressrosa.

How is the anime these days? There was a lot of hype for it on twitter a while back.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is the anime these days? There was a lot of hype for it on twitter a while back.

It's improved a bunch with the WCI once they got a new series director, and then underwent a complete visual overhaul (and got another series director) for the currently ongoing Wano arc. It looks really good now.

Pacing issues still persist unfortunately, but they have gotten better about how they pad out episodes for the most part.

Joetachi

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sanji's back story is still on my faves because when they explained how the planet of one piece worked Sanji being from a hole different ocean made no sense . Those are some of my favorite oda hints.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I don't think this is purely foreshadowing. Thinking that he knew where things would be plotwise in 10-15-20 years is really stretching it.
What makes more sense is that he connected the dots himself and used previous plot points, characters and information to build upon new stuff and therefore seems like foreshadowing but it's really the other way around.

Having said that, he really is a master of tying loose ends.

This.
What is "One Piece" in Oda mind right now will be not same on his mind in 20 years ago.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This.
What is "One Piece" in Oda mind right now will be not same on his mind in 20 years ago.

Not always.

What is the treasure "One Piece" (basically confirmed a few chapters ago) was mentioned years before

It was left by Joy Boy, from the Void Century mentioned in Robin's flashback

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
It's nothing like Dragonball. Oda very intentionally plans things and has said he has extensive notes to keep things consistent. Toriyama has literally said he makes things up as he goes
that was what i said.
i meant their skills at writing and making things fit well together are what they have in common. they both have good skills at writing their stuff, otherwise things would be a mess like with Kishimoto, etc. who aren't very good at adding new elements to their work (and i did say Oda's results are a lot better since he does plan ahead)

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Not always.

What is the treasure "One Piece" (basically confirmed a few chapters ago) was mentioned years before

It was left by Joy Boy, from the Void Century mentioned in Robin's flashback

The series was supposed to 5 years long (23-25 volumes)
The One Piece Treasure original probably
not relate with joy boy
but still important items that can shake the world.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I'm still not convinced that One Piece wasn't originally "The nakama we made along the way" and Oda changed it when he realized it was stupid.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He's the master of this, people keep finding new stuff that connects to the current events even after all these years.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Man, looking at those early chapters, I really miss when the art looked like that. It just feels so ridiculous now to look at Robin and Nami.