• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
www.crunchyroll.com

Crunchyroll Expands One Piece Territories to Europe and MENA [UPDATED]

Update: We now have information about catalog episodes, so read on below for more! The One Piece anime is about to reach even more Crunchyroll members! Territories are being expande

For the first time I think One Piece is now legally streamable in countries like the UK, Pakistan, Portugal and such as it was just not available.

For now this only cover Wano episodes/simulcast episodes but I imagine anime arcs prior are being worked on, so good news One Piece is moving international.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
As someone who's never watched or read any One Piece but has heard all sorts of things about it (not least the sheer amount of content) is it worth trying to get into at this point?

Oct 25, 2017
But what's the logic of not making it available on the biggest streaming platform for anime?

I get it is Toei had their own platform.

Toei rarely makes sense.
You're talking about a company that barred Funimation from releasing DBZ Kai The Final Chapters on Blu-Ray until they got it on TV. They barred Funimation from restoring the Japanese audio on the original DBZ too.
A company that threw World Trigger at a Canadian studio and got a subpar dub out of it, then ran it on a bilingual channel for Latino kids that was only available through Comcast.
A company that for some reason is still forbidding the release of more One Piece dubbed episodes. Instead pushing TV specials. Even though they announced "it's coming back" four months ago.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
So who's to blame why this wasn't the case from the get-go?
The only reason One Piece was even available in the US was because Funimation put a lot of effort into it. And even then, Tori attempted to cancel it several times and made everything about the openings stupid as hell.

Again, Toei is the company who delayed the English version (sub & dub) of Dragonball Super for "reasons". If Toei wouldn't let even Dragonball be released legally outside of Japan for ages, then it's clear who the culprit is here

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So who's to blame why this wasn't the case from the get-go?

When the deal was originally made, it was through Toei Animation USA's branch. This branch only has the rights for North, Central, South America, South Africa, and Australia/New Zealand. Toei Animation Europe is the one who controls all the above regions. It likely took awhile to get Toei's European branch to budge on it.

For what it's worth, France has had a simulcast for awhile, which has been airing on TV and available on Streaming Platforms. It's also likely why it's excluded in the list of regions on Crunchyroll. Though I'm very puzzled and having a hard time making sense what they mean for Poland and Greece. The Crunchyroll press release is horribly contradicting with what it's saying for those two regions.

Either way, in the past, Toei's European branch was notably difficult to deal with, with from what was said publicly. Given Crunchyroll has been getting more licenses from both USA and European branches as of late, was likely the only next step to get One Piece eventually.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Toei rarely makes sense.
You're talking about a company that barred Funimation from releasing DBZ Kai The Final Chapters on Blu-Ray until they got it on TV. They barred Funimation from restoring the Japanese audio on the original DBZ too.
A company that threw World Trigger at a Canadian studio and got a subpar dub out of it, then ran it on a bilingual channel for Latino kids that was only available through Comcast.
A company that for some reason is still forbidding the release of more One Piece dubbed episodes. Instead pushing TV specials. Even though they announced "it's coming back" four months ago.

Whats that about? They restored the japanese audio a long time ago.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's never watched or read any One Piece but has heard all sorts of things about it (not least the sheer amount of content) is it worth trying to get into at this point?
This is gonna sound weird, but... Do you like Venture Bros or A Song of Ice & Fire? All 3 series are obviously VASTLY different, but their continued popularity rest on their dedication to world building, continuity and genre subversion. It's why people who like any of those series have pretty much 2 reactions: they either immediately drop it or are fans for life. Which explains why all 3 have endured for so damn long.

If you like Shonen anime and either of those other 2 series, I recommend trying it out. (Hint: the goal is to go through the end of the Arlong Park arc)

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
At last I can start pestering people to watch this. Or at least, when the full catalogue is up. At least this is a start.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh awesome, excited to finally get back to it since this'll make it a lot less of a headache compared to current methods. Last time I left it Luffy was fighting his way down that one prison.

I kinda wish I just read the manga in retrospect but now I'm in for a penny, in for a pound, or something

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

I started reading the manga 3 weeks ago and I'm now 258 chapters in. ITS INCREDIBLE.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
This is good. Shueisha should follow suit and try to make the SJ subscription service available to the rest of the world but I fear that the amount of publishers involved may make this a pipe dream.

Just being able to read the most recent 3 chapters just does not cut it.