• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Please nevermind this failed joke of an OP, we're actually talking about learning Japanese now.

For example, if I want to talk to fans of the popular PS4 stealth game (known to complete casuals as 夏色ハイスクル☆青春白書) in English, I have to say, 'so, have you finished Summertime High School. A Young Man's Notes – How a New Exchange Student Like Myself Ran Into His Childhood Friend On The School Tour, Then For Some Reason Became Super-Popular With The Girls For His Daily Scoops On The School Photography Club Even Though He Only Takes Panty Shots, And What He Thinks As He Goes On Dates During His Summer Of Island School Life yet?'

It could be argued that this also takes up a non-arbitrary amount of text on a videogame message board.

But in Japanese, I simply say: 友達。。。PS4のゲームは夏色ハイスクル★青春白書〜転校初日のオレが幼馴染と再会したら報道部員にされていて激写少年の日々はスクープ大連発でイガイとモテモテなのに何故かマイメモリーはパンツ写真ばっかりという現実と向き合いながら考えるひと夏の島の学園生活と赤裸々な恋の行方。。。done?!

Now, admittedly, I don't know that we need 'High School' in Katakana/English there, as '高校' would shore things up nicely, and the star certainly fills its seat up on the airplane, but isn't it so much more efficient this way than having to repeat 'Summertime High School. A Young Man's Notes – How a New Exchange Student Like Myself Ran Into His Childhood Friend On The School Tour, Then For Some Reason Became Super-Popular With The Girls For His Daily Scoops On The School Photography Club Even Though He Only Takes Panty Shots, And What He Thinks As He Goes On Dates During His Summer Of Island School Life' every time you want to talk about this presumably brilliant game?

Note: My original idea for this thread was a thorough investigation of Japanese->English game titles, why things like 'Bravely Default' exist, comparing differences, dunking on Dragon Quest's Always Active Airborne Assault of Alliteration, and perhaps an excavation of 'Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman' but I got lazy and found this 65-character game title on Kotaku by accident. I hope you enjoyed your time and please forgive me!

Last edited:

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I think you've done a more effective job at telling us that Japanese game titles can be really, really dumb, overly literal, and way too long.

You're also not saving that much space?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
erm. wtf kind of game is this?

Is this literally a game where you take up skirt photos of high schoolers?
Wouldn't talking about it be banned on the gaming side?

Plus your sentence isn't even that much shorter.

Mar 3, 2019
Weird game aside....I really like the top to bottom design approach for Japanese characters in graphics design, shit just hits different

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
As someone who's dabbled in rom hacking this is definitely something you get sort of impressed and annoyed with at the same time.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like a logical conclusion that a more logographic-based writing system would require less characters than an alphabetical? Not sure what's really crazy about that. Could argue that Chinese crams even better if we're going by that string of logic.

Nov 18, 2020
This is why early English localizations were often really weird and truncated when there were space constraints. One character in Japanese (which can constitute an entire word) is equivalent to one letter in English. So you can express a full sentence in less than 20 characters in Japanese with zero spaces like "ドラゴンの宝物は城の中にあります" or "The dragon's treasure is located somewhere in the castle," whereas in English to express that same sentiment in 20 characters would be something like "GO TO CASTLE FOR GIFT."

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite word in Korean is 뒈질래, which is pretty much directly translated as "Do you want to die a long, meaningless, painful death?".

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Maybe if the game didn't have such a stupid title it would fit nicely in other languages as well :P
Also, I'd take an alphabet, abjad or abugidas over logograms any day - Even if the end sentence comes out longer.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Note: My original idea for this thread was a thorough investigation of Japanese->English game titles, why things like 'Bravely Default' exist, comparing differences

It seems like a logical conclusion that a more logographic-based writing system would require less characters than an alphabetical? Not sure what's really crazy about that. Could argue that Chinese crams even better if we're going by that string of logic.

This is why early English localizations were often really weird and truncated when there were space constraints. One character in Japanese (which can constitute an entire word) is equivalent to one letter in English. So you can express a full sentence in less than 20 characters in Japanese with zero spaces like "ドラゴンの宝物は城の中にあります" or "The dragon's treasure is located somewhere in the castle," whereas in English to express that same sentiment in 20 characters would be something like "GO TO CASTLE FOR GIFT."

End of investigation.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this was one of the things I quickly picked up on as I was learning. Also the amount of wordplay and double meanings you can do with kanji is so fun.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
You should see Chinese. Even more crammed into a smaller space.
yeah i mean it's the same shit without the kana, which helps you differentiate the two. studying kanji i've kinda virtually just been learning chinese in a sense

also i hate to say i think some people took me too seriously, i honestly just wanted to post that title repeatedly and i deserve all i get

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I was reading one time about data compression and the topic of languages compressing data into equally rich signifiers as other languages but occupying a lot less space came up and this is so fucking cool.

This is a kind of very slow, naturally evolving compression method for communication.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Yeah this was one of the things I quickly picked up on as I was learning. Also the amount of wordplay and double meanings you can do with kanji is so fun.
i like the numbers stuff, the gorowase

39 san-kyuu 15 ichigo/strawberry

i've heard a lot of game developers sneak themselves in as numbers representing codenames (on licence plates etc)

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
if i could change the title perhaps it would be 'some of us in here are i guess learning japanese, and also some people are discussing chinese, latin and language-oriented data compression'

i think that would be a hit

Jan 25, 2018
I don't know that we need 'High School' in Katakana/English there, as '高校' would shore things up nicely
Would it really though? English uses fewer strokes to write the word "high school" than Japanese does for 高校. The amount of visual information is roughly the same; its just that the strokes of Chinese/Japanese characters are printed smaller. You can reach a similar outcome in English by decreasing the font size.

highschool.png

Edit: I mixed up the first two strokes of 校, lol.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Someone get some Japanese tweets in here to demonstrate. 140 characters in English is like half a thought and in Japanese it's almost a short story.

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure noone actually writes or says full title of that, they always reduce titles to 4 characters or so, like they refer to dragon quest as ドラクエ(dorakue)

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is like factually untrue lol

"Information Density: The Japanese language has the lowest information density (0.49). This means you have to say more in Japanese to say the same thing in English, which has a very high information density. In fact, English's information density is nearly twice that of Japanese!"

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Would it really though? English uses fewer strokes to write the word "high school" than Japanese does for 高校. The amount of visual information is roughly the same; its just that the strokes of Chinese/Japanese characters are printed smaller. You can reach a similar outcome in English by decreasing the font size.

highschool.png

I have nothing to add here, but this is really interesting thanks!

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
...rewrite your Japanese in Romanji.

Or even IPA.

What you've written for both would not correlate to the amount of time it would take for you to SAY what you've written.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

"Information Density: The Japanese language has the lowest information density (0.49). This means you have to say more in Japanese to say the same thing in English, which has a very high information density. In fact, English's information density is nearly twice that of Japanese!"

This has more to do with the spoken word and getting information across that way.

From my observation, Japanese has high information to character ratio. But low information to syllable.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I think the OP is talking about written vs speech in terms of density.

edit: How was I beaten?

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Not really. kanji literally means Chinese, or at least "Han characters".
Vocabulary-wise Japanese doesn't use many kanji the same way as in Chinese, and of course in many cases they don't pronounce them the same way. So it's in some ways equivalent to English repurposing the Latin alphabet and vocabulary for its own use.

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this also why 90's era game translations (RPG's in particular) featured very basic prose and often missed out plot details because they had to work with harsh character limitations. Well that and the fact that it just wasn't considered all that important and just didn't receive much in the way of resources and time.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

It's one of the reasons why Japanese is such a vague language and can be infuriating even for natives.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
On the subject of how much space it uses, that was always a thing that became apparent when I was taking Japanese classes in college and we had to write something. The assignment would be to write one page, but then you realize just how much it takes to fill one page.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I really tried hard to learn Japanese but kanji just kicked my ass and made it impossible every time. Basically adding 2x the information retention necessary (the unique symbol and then the spoken phrase) to every single concept and object in existence is just way too difficult.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

That's really interesting that spoken English has the highest information rate out of the eight languages tested. It feels true, even though I don't know any other language well enough to have an informed opinion. But I had to do some audio transcription for work once, and I remember being really caught off guard by how much I had to type even when someone spoke for less than five seconds.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

highschool.png

See, this is interesting because they both have their advantages and disadvantages. With the Chinese/Japanese below, you can fit that in less vertical space, but often times, where resolution is limited, you literally can't fit all the detail to make that legible. And sometimes, and I've never seen this be true, when words have to be transcribed from English to Japanese, the word ends up taking more characters because of the approximation.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I really tried hard to learn Japanese but kanji just kicked my ass and made it impossible every time. Basically adding 2x the information retention necessary (the unique symbol and then the spoken phrase) to every single concept and object in existence is just way too difficult.
yeah... if you learn say a romance language, you're dealing with familiar characters and then the four tenets of language... with japanese it's the four tenets plus a couple extra language pack dlcs, one of which is least 2300 chinese characters

i'm absolutely not advanced, but it does help if you learn them as words instead of these individual units with anywhere from 1-20+ possible readings--you'll pick up vocabulary and then see a compound kanji word, either look it up or hear it read aloud and go 'oh, that's how that word is written' and it'll stick

it is certainly a large, ongoing task, though

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
See, this is interesting because they both have their advantages and disadvantages. With the Chinese/Japanese below, you can fit that in less vertical space, but often times, where resolution is limited, you literally can't fit all the detail to make that legible. And sometimes, and I've never seen this be true, when words have to be transcribed from English to Japanese, the word ends up taking more characters because of the approximation.
yeah, english in either katakana or romaji takes up a ton of space

'ベルセルク; berserk... seems about a fair match (unless you try to say it out loud)... but then you got your 'Beruseruku'

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

highschool.png

This is really good. Reminds my of something I saw a while back about how the speed of speech varies between language with high amounts of info per phoneme (Like Chinese) versus low amounts (Japanese) in such a way that info per second holds pretty consistent. All languages, written and spoken, are pretty efficient about getting info compressed to the limits of human comprehensibility, even if yes, the Latin alphabet and Chinese characters do it in ways that prioritize page space very differently, and very differently in the digital age when Chinese characters and Latin letters are assigned the same amount of space in memory.

Also, this thread in general seems way too generous to the Japanese writing system, which is an absolute monstrosity trying to map the Chinese writing system onto a language with way more grammatical complexity where it just doesn't work.And way devalues the ways that English writing and grammar allow for a level of flexibility that the Chinese characters just don't, where dealing with a loan word from a foreign language or making up a term for a new concept is always kind of a nightmare.