• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Buckle up, folks, we went all out on this one. I can't wait to see all the streams and I hope we're gonna make all of you very happy with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. When we shipped Blind Forest, Moon Studios was still a fairly scrappy studio and the game was made by only 10-15 people. For Will of the Wisps, we had 3-4 times the amount of people working on it and some of the best talent in the industry joined in this time around too.

The proof is in the pudding, we'll have to wait for press and gamers to throw in their final verdict, but I'm pretty confident in what we built, especially given our recent playtests. It took us another 4+ years to build this game, it was damn hard, but I hope you'll all agree that all the labor was well worth it. I said very early on that our goal has always been for Will of the Wisps to become to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to Super Mario Bros. 1 - We kept the core of Blind Forest alive, but tried to ship a much fuller experience this time around. I hope people will agree that it's a sequel similar to the ones Nintendo shipped in the past, Zelda 1 going to Zelda 3, etc. - Same core gameplay, but massively improved all around.

Now, I fully realize that this coming from the Creative Director of the game, it should all be taken with a grain of salt, but I think I've shown many times that I'm a no-bullshitter. I'm super excited while also a bit nervous... But I think we did well and I can't wait to see you all laugh and cry again :)

And here I thought I couldn't be more excited for it!

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I just replayed the first game and i can't wait to play the new game. Without doubt one of my most anticipated games ever.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Buckle up, folks, we went all out on this one. I can't wait to see all the streams and I hope we're gonna make all of you very happy with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. When we shipped Blind Forest, Moon Studios was still a fairly scrappy studio and the game was made by only 10-15 people. For Will of the Wisps, we had 3-4 times the amount of people working on it and some of the best talent in the industry joined in this time around too.

The proof is in the pudding, we'll have to wait for press and gamers to throw in their final verdict, but I'm pretty confident in what we built, especially given our recent playtests. It took us another 4+ years to build this game, it was damn hard, but I hope you'll all agree that all the labor was well worth it. I said very early on that our goal has always been for Will of the Wisps to become to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to Super Mario Bros. 1 - We kept the core of Blind Forest alive, but tried to ship a much fuller experience this time around. I hope people will agree that it's a sequel similar to the ones Nintendo shipped in the past, Zelda 1 going to Zelda 3, etc. - Same core gameplay, but massively improved all around.

Now, I fully realize that this coming from the Creative Director of the game, it should all be taken with a grain of salt, but I think I've shown many times that I'm a no-bullshitter. I'm super excited while also a bit nervous... But I think we did well and I can't wait to see you all laugh and cry again :)

I can't wait to play your game, and you are not helping :)
I hope my (future) newborn child will let me some time to play !

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this! I'm curious if there will be a definitive edition next year like the first game had, or do they think they'll go the DLC route (or is the upcoming version entirely 'complete' as is)?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Damn, I am HYPED

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to get too hyped before a release (in the long run, it's just led to more disappointments than anything) but what I will say is that I wouldn't be surprised if this is top of my GOTY list come the end of the year.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why u do this? It's hard enough as it is :(

But seriously, you guys are brilliant, and vital to the industry, I'm sure the game will turn out to special. Definitely one of this gen success stories, thank you!

Even though I have GP, I'm buying the game to show my appreciation for your creative talent.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the blind forest is one of those games I hate that I can't get into. The art is honestly to die for, but having tried three times now, the gameplay simply doesn't hook me.

Will watch a playthrough of it come release though.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Thanks for sharing this.

So excited to play. Thank you and your team for all the hard work. It is greatly appreciated.

I cant wait to dive in! :)

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium

I took me some times to finish the first game, it was a real challenge and some things did not convince me, but the art, the look of the game and the soundtrack were amazing.

I preordered the Collector Edition to support at max what you do, there's a lot of metroidvania games but few achieved what Ori and the Blind Forest did, I really hope the next one will improve everything that needed to be improved and I can't wait to play it.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
So excited for this! Ori is and surely always will be my favourite game of the generation.

We even named our cat 'Ori'!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't give a shit about review scores but interested of reading reviews of people who liked the first game, do we know when they are out?

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for these words. Can't imagine the stress of releasing a game, but I'm sure with the love and care the first one showed, the new one won't disappoint.

Hopefully the team and game get all the love from both critics and us gamers alike.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019

Okay I need to play Will of the Wisps asap so I can be ready for launch.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

This all sounds so damn good to me. I loved the first one and it sounds like this one is much bigger, probably longer too, which in my opinion is always a plus if the content remains great.

Oh and this has to be by far the best looking Metroidvania, amazing. I am so ready and so is my Xbox One X and OLED C9. With those amazing black levels this game will shine!

Oh and those comparisons of Zelda 1 to Zelda 3, holy crap. That was a huge evolution for sure.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I can't wait to finally play the sequel.
I'm still debating on which platform to play.
Are you in the position to tell how the game runs on the base Xbox One, Thomas?
I mean resolution, framerate and maybe other differences?

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping this game will be better than the first. I treated the first game more as an platformer type of game, the combat being only mindless and the lack of boss fights (the escape sequences, after the first one, were boring) made the game a bit lacking for me as a metroidvania/metroid-like game.

Hopefully the sequel will make all these aspects better and make a more enjoyable game.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super excited while also a bit nervous... But I think we did well and I can't wait to see you all laugh and cry again :)

I just wanted to say a massive thanks and best wishes! However the game turns out (I'm sure it will be great!) I'm always amazed by the passion and energy that devs show/use when they make games.

So please pass on to the team lots of messages of best wishes, and thanks, for putting so much time and effort into this. Good luck with the launch and I hope it is amazing!

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017

Thomas I dont know if you remember me but I was the one on Neogaf who ran the #SpreadtheFeels campaign for Ori (LifeExpectancy). I am doing it again for WotW folks! I havent been active on ResetEra but I'll be posting here for this explicit purpose.

I've already ordered the collector's edition at BestBuy and will be buying 10 or so codes to give away for Xbox and or PC, but I've been trying to secure a press review copy in order to prep the walkthrough for TrueAchievements.com ahead of launch. I havent been getting any response on twitter and can't seem to find an email on the game's website. Would be grateful for any assistance!

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I'm finally playing through the first Ori to get ready and it is great
Just escaped the tree which was pretty rough for me but I really like the game
Can't wait for will of the wisps

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017
I do, you crazy nut :D
Just sent you a PM!
oh jesus that was fast!

You havent changed at all since Ori, still amazing. Cannot WAIT to see what you guys have done with WotW. I only wish I had kept going at achievements the last few years so I could use WotW to hit 1million gamerscore. Instead I'll go back to Ori DE on Switch when that time comes lol.

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017
I dont have posting new thread privileges here and dont know if posting a thread to give away copies of a game is kosher, but if any mods could help clear this up I would appreciate it. I know theres a bot to create giveaways but you need a thread URL to do it. I'll start pming mods from the staff list tmrw if I dont hear back.

Jan 29, 2018
I just started Ori and the Blind Forest last night and it seems really good so far even if I couldn't see a damn thing in that dark cave right before getting the Dash.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Hmmm, the main menu shows the same areas than Blind Forest. I wonder if you can return and visit areas from the first game. Or maybe i'm looking too deep...
Ori and the Will of the Wisps starts the very moment where Ori and the Blind Forest ended, that's why you see Swallows Nest there :)

And yeah, currently there's a Press Preview Event happening in SF and the embargo for the previews is lifting on 26th of February at 12:01am. Gareth (our composer) is also there for interviews, etc. :)

So, not long anymore and you folks will get a whole bunch of new footage and previews!

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Definitely in day one for this. Has there been any word on if exploration will play a bigger part? I enjoyed the first one but it was pretty linear.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Definitely in day one for this. Has there been any word on if exploration will play a bigger part? I enjoyed the first one but it was pretty linear.
After the first bit of gameplay the game completely opens up and you can decide where to go and complete areas in whatever order you desire. So we'll definitely see very different walkthroughs depending on which things the players chose to do first. The non-linearity also extends to abilities, weapons and spells :)

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

No details on the specific breakdown of the world design but we do there there are more things to do off the beaten path just from how Moon has described difficulty. If you hit a wall, like the Ginso Tree was for some folk, you can leave and do things like sidequests to build up/alter your abilities or complete other objectives; you're no longer forced completing areas the same way you were in TBF.

Even better!

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the gen!!!
giphy.gif

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The Blind Forest is in my top five favourite games of all time so I've been following this since it was announced, if it's anything like the first it'll be my GOTY for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I started my replay of Ori and the Blind Forest DE the other day. The game remains amazing imo. Beyond excited for the new game's release. Picking up the physical version as well as having it available through gamepass. Congrats to the team.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally picked up Ori and the Blind Forest DE off of the current Steam midweek sale. Been wanting to play it for so long, so I'm looking forward to it.