• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
County has seen 898% increase in cases since surge began in November, with 1,125% increase in deaths, official says

Los Angeles county scientists estimate that one in three residents in the county have been infected with Covid-19 at some point since the beginning of the pandemic, a reflection of how severely the virus has overtaken the most populous region in California.

The new estimate by county scientists would mean that more than 3 million of the county's 10 million residents have been infected with coronavirus. As of Thursday, Los Angeles county had more than 975,000 total reported cases, with 17,323 new cases in the past 24 hours. Through the course of the pandemic, 13,234 people have died in LA county because of Covid-19, accounting for nearly half of California's total deaths.

Ten people on average tested positive for Covid-19 in LA county each minute, Barbara Ferrer, the county public health director, said this week. The county has a 20.5% positivity rate, meaning that for every five county residents who are tested, one is positive. One projection from early January estimated that one in every 17 people in LA county currently had Covid.
Since the surge began in November, Los Angeles county had seen a staggering 898% increase in cases, Ferrer said. There had been an 884% increase in Covid-19 hospitalizations and a 1,125% increase in deaths, with the virus killing someone every eight minutes. She predicted even more of an increase in cases following the New Year's holiday.

"The damaging impact to our families and our local hospitals from this surge is the worst disaster our county has experienced for decades," Ferrer said.
www.theguardian.com

One in three Los Angeles residents have been infected with Covid, scientists say

County has seen 898% increase in cases since surge began in November, with 1,125% increase in deaths, official says

May 21, 2018
Holy shit. I laughed out loud at how laughably bad this has become.

Hell at this rate I'm not even sure I'm uninfected and I don't feel any symptoms.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I live with four roommates, and I wonder what the odds are that we truly haven't gotten it. But certainly one of *five* people would show symptoms? None of us have at all.

We're pretty safe, but one is a vet and necessarily interacts with a lot of people at her job...

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus. I'm absolutely amazed that NYC hasn't had a 2nd wave crazy surge. So many asses out with no masks. We have a big increase sure, but nothing like March/April of last year.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My cousins family all got it. Been lucky I haven't had it unless I got it and didn't have symptoms. My job site had been lucky to have been covid free for the most part but that went to hell this week and last. Been doing all I can to stay safe but I'm afraid I'll still get it at some point.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree. 90% of the people I've seen in NYC are wearing masks.
like 96 percent of people wear mask

Not in Astoria. And 90% still means 10% aren't. Here in Astoria I'd say it's closer to 65%. I work in Manhattan once a week and I also see a fair amount of folks walking around without masks. Definitely not 96%.

Indoors is much better. Generally it's the staff not wearing masks properly.