• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hate how obsessed this place is with rotten tomatoes and "consensus". just watch a movie.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I'm assuming we're getting some insane historical revisionism with talk of how wild the ending for this is

also talk of Pitt being the standout in this, which is unexpected.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's good, but that first review on it being a "love letter to TV and Hollywood" is something I hate and those movies that are just fart sniffing "man we're awesome" shit always review well.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't miss a Tarantino movie in theaters at this point regardless of reviews. One of only a few directors I would do that for. Sounds like this one is his most "mature" movie since Jackie Brown and some are torn on the last third?

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews already?

Wow, this is getting some of his best reviews yet. Super excited for this one. This might be his best movie since Pulp Fiction, I hope.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, there's a piece on Vulture up now that delves into some spoilers as it argues against Taratino's adamant refusal to address the scale of Margot Robbie's role.

Avoid it if you want some spoilers on minor characters, but it doesn't spoil the third act.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
So, I saw this thread, thought to myself "Aladdin reviews dropped today, too, and that comes out tomorrow". So I clicked here to find out if this movie is out this weekend, or next. Only to see it's 2+ months away. Grrr.

Oct 25, 2017
He continues to be an ass, but I got a laugh out of the line "I reject your hypothesis" when that reporter asked him about Sharon Tate having little dialogue.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
ZDD4xF.gif

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The official, objective, correct ranking:

Inglourious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill 2
Reservoir Dogs
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
Death Proof

"Movie about movies" puts it in contention for the top but I'm worried it meanders a bit for its length...

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I'm surprised by the very high Metacritic and RT scores. The initial buzz from Cannes seemed a bit more mixed.

It's currently (only) the fourth best reviewed film in the Screen Daily's jury grid. Interestingly, the international critics have been a lot less enthusiastic about it than the Americans and the Brits.

1303582_jurygrid245_171253.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does a white person utter the n-word for comedic effect in this movie?

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love Tarantino's work; Pulp Fiction, the Kill Bill's, Inglorious Basterds, Django, Reservoir Dogs all are some of my favorite films ever... his reliance on the utterance of "nigger" in his films is starting to become bothersome for me though.

I can understand using it in a historical context but he seems to be using it for shock value these days. The usage of it in Hateful Eight was just too much and tested my patience.

So... how many times is it used in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood I wonder.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by the very high Metacritic and RT scores. The initial buzz from Cannes seemed a bit more mixed.

It's currently (only) the fourth best reviewed film in the Screen Daily's jury grid. Interestingly, the international critics have been a lot less enthusiastic about it than the Americans and the Brits.

The last 40 minutes or so is probably going to contribute to it. For the flip side, I'm surprised A Hidden Life isn't lower overall.

Edit: Going back through some lists, I forgot just how badly The Sea of Trees and The Last Face ranked. lol

Last edited:

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017

It's still the fourth highest rated film of the festival despite getting a 0/4. Most critics seem very impressed by the film.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that i really liked about the reviews is that everyone seems to be praising Pitt/DiCaprio duo

They seem to nail their roles

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Quentin Tarantino has written full scripts for the in-universe show 'Bounty Law,' and he would like to do a 5-episode show in black and white with 24-minute episodes like the old Westerns. He thinks it would be great with Leonardo DiCaprio in the role, like he is in the movie, but wouldn't count on it.

"From watching the different old Western shows and everything, I did it to get in the head of Bounty Law. I ended up starting to really like the idea of Jake Cahill, as a character. I really started loving those half hour '50s Western scripts. The idea that you could write something like 24 minutes, where there was so much story crammed in those half hour shows, with a real beginning and a middle and an end. Also it was kind of fun because you can't just keep doubling down and exploring. At some point, you've got to wrap it up. I really liked that idea. I've written five different episodes for a possible Bounty Law black-and-white half hour Western show."

Last edited: