• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indication of what the "lsd" cigarette actually was, considering you can't actually smoke acid? Maybe PCP as he didn't really seem to care that he was stabbed in the leg

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I think I knew the exact right amount about the Manson Family for maximum impact.

I had never heard of Spahn Ranch, so until they get there, I had no idea that he was riding with a member of the family. Then one of them name-drops Charlie while they're there.

My wife, who didn't know that the Manson Family was a commune thing didn't catch the namedrop.

People who know more (like the ranch name) will know what Cliff is heading into before he gets there.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Idk what rock I've been living under but for some reason I thought Manson was still rotting away in prison. I remember seeing interviews of him a couple years ago looking decrepit and zany but I somehow missed the fact he died lol.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any indication of what the "lsd" cigarette actually was, considering you can't actually smoke acid? Maybe PCP as he didn't really seem to care that he was stabbed in the leg

Was it actually acid? Was it laced with something else? Was it actually a different synthetic street drug? Or was it just a storytelling device cooked up in an alternate Tarantino version of our reality?

As omniscient observers we have no idea, no way of really knowing, just that Pitt's character seemed to be tripping and it (loosely) lined up with a standard hallucinogenic experience. Part of the magic is that the scene works the same whatever it was.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Was it actually acid? Was it laced with something else? Was it actually a different synthetic street drug? Or was it just a storytelling device cooked up in an alternate Tarantino version of our reality?

As omniscient observers we have no idea, no way of really knowing, just that Pitt's character seemed to be tripping and it (loosely) lined up with a standard hallucinogenic experience. Part of the magic is that the scene works the same whatever it was.
Yeah it's more that I don't think Tarantino would make that "mistake" so I was wondering if I missed anything indicating that it was actually something else

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Saw it last night and absolutely loved it, even though the internet and every interview leading up to the release made damn sure you knew what Tate's fate would be going into it.

Thought maybe it needed a little bit less of Leo's acting plot but that ending paid off so well, holy shit. All I could think of was that one Pitt interview where he read the last fight and was like "are you serious?"

Not entirely sure how I felt about Bruce Lee's characterization - it definitely leans into the side of him that most leave unsaid, that he's less of a Jesus-like martial artist like how his movies portray him, and more of a persuasive speaker and typical Hollywood action star.

It started to turn back around to being a positive portrayal when he and Pitt started sparring and were evenly matched, and then showing him repeatedly training with Tate and her ex, which also functioned as a great red herring.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
saw it Friday in 35mm. Went to Casa Vega (which was also used for the shot set in Spain), on Saturday for lunch, they said they were mobbed on Friday night.

I think it's his most meandering and perhaps loosest film. But it's phenomenally acted and directed. If you know the history of it you're sort of wondering WTF is taking so long, but then those moments are filled with so much tension and dread and then the fairytale ending.

Doesn't top Basterds for me. But it definitely has grown on me as I've thought about it more and I kinda want to see it again.

This is about where I'm at on the movie. Doesn't quite have as many "QT Dialogue" scenes as he's done in most of his movies, but it does have some quality"QT Scenes" in there. From Rick's scenes with the little girl (and his various scenes for that show), to the entire ranch scene. Cliff and Rick are just the best.

Also, I could live in the various car driving scenes. Superb work on making it feel like the 60's, between the cars, the various props and even the lighting they filmed in. Just lovely. Makes me want to look into buying a vintage car.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Saw it for the second time Tues.

There's like one or two shots I keep thinking about because it makes me want to laugh. In the first third of the film when they are dancing to Son of a Lovin' Man... and Roman Polanski is getting down in that frilly outfit... I don't know just the thought of that really having happened makes me crack up. I don't know if he was much of a dancer IRL but that actor was selling it for all of his worth.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Saw it for the second time Tues.

There's like one or two shots I keep thinking about because it makes me want to laugh. In the first third of the film when they are dancing to Son of a Lovin' Man... and Roman Polanski is getting down in that frilly outfit... I don't know just the thought of that really having happened makes me crack up. I don't know if he was much of a dancer IRL but that actor was selling it for all of his worth.
His outfit reminded me of Austin Powers lol

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching the trailer a few times and never actually hearing what Leo says to that little girl who tells him that was the best acting he had ever seen. I could only make out the "fucking" part and thought maybe he was annoyed at her because she fucked up his headspace for that scene or something. Now that I've seen the film, man, that was such a wholesome moment between them.

That little girl's validation meant SO much for Rick. Made him feel like he could move mountains.

Thinking about this and the Sharon Tate cinema scene gets me a little choked up. Two very touching scenes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was mad at the guy who had lived there, but he also supposedly knew the guy had moved. So maybe he just wanted to kill some rich people and it wa a house he knew?
Its previous owner had turned down Manson for a record contract. Even though Manson knew he no longer lived there, it made the house a target for him nonetheless. Just bad luck for the people who happened to be living there.
Has anybody ever asked Manson why he didn't just track down and kill the guy who nixed his record deal?

Also, what sort of music was he making? Are there recordings?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody ever asked Manson why he didn't just track down and kill the guy who nixed his record deal?

No idea. I don't know how honest or forthcoming Manson ever was about this stuff.

After the movie I looked into details, and there's an interesting list of people who lived in that house:

Cary Grant and Dyan Cannon
Henry Fonda
Paul Revere and the Raiders!
Terry Melcher (Doris day's son, and the music producer reference above) with Candice Bergen

and long after the murders, Trent Reznor

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching the trailer a few times and never actually hearing what Leo says to that little girl who tells him that was the best acting he had ever seen. I could only make out the "fucking" part and thought maybe he was annoyed at her because she fucked up his headspace for that scene or something. Now that I've seen the film, man, that was such a wholesome moment between them.

That little girl's validation meant SO much for Rick. Made him feel like he could move mountains.

Thinking about this and the Sharon Tate cinema scene gets me a little choked up. Two very touching scenes.
I really liked that moment.

Amanita

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it again. Way better the second time. I'd committed myself to seeing it twice with different people, and I swear that first time, during one of the movie's more lulling episodes, I was thinking "I have to sit through this again?" When it was over I thought, "Not bad, but uneven, overlong, and indulgent." It's still uneven. Watching Sharon Tate watch her own movie isn't riveting stuff. It's still overlong. The Playboy Mansion scene should go. Somebody on a podcast compared that scene to Austin Powers, and I agree. It's corny. I know it's all about clueing the audience in to the Tate-Polanski-Sebring love triangle, but do it some other way. It's still indulgent. How many panning close-ups of old '60s memorabilia do we need? How much of Pitt driving around listening to music?

But let me tell you, after seeing this movie a second time, I'm kind of in love with it. Going in knowing what I was getting, I found myself less bored by the parts I was bored by the first time and more excited because I was eagerly awaiting the parts I loved. I couldn't wait for this fresh audience to see, for instance, Rick yelling at himself in his trailer. At the beginning, when Rick and Cliff hopped in the car and "Treat Her Right" started blaring, I was thinking, "Yes, here we fucking go." And then, "Wait, aren't I cool on this movie? Why am I so excited?"

I love the duo of Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth. They may be my favorite characters these actors have ever played. I love the soundtrack. I can't stop listening to The Mamas and the Papas's "Twelve Thirty" and The Rolling Stones's "Out of Time." The ending is incredible. Cliff Booth walking his dog down the road as the murderers drive up the road and the camera slowly zooms in. Rick lifting the pitcher of frozen margarita to his lips after he gets done yelling at Tex. Rick floating in his pool, wasted, bulbous headphones on, blasting music, bobbing his head and singing along to some old song about WWII. The whole Cliff and Tex showdown. "You are real, right?" Jay Sebring asking Rick if everybody's all right, and Rick going, "Well, the hippies aren't." It's all so damn good.

So my updated opinion is that, yeah, this movie is not genius from start to finish. There are missteps. But there is enough genius in it to make up for the parts that aren't so good. The characters of Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth, their friendship, the movie's atmosphere, the soundtrack, the many funny scenes, the ending that's unbearably suspenseful then shocking then hilarious then, finally, moving—there are parts of the movie that are so strong that I walked out of this hangout movie willing to hang out for another hour. If you've seen this movie once and didn't think much of it, I recommend seeing it a second time. You might be surprised.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
French New Wave taught me to love meandering films with weird editing and pointless beautifully shot scenes with memorable endings.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its previous owner had turned down Manson for a record contract. Even though Manson knew he no longer lived there, it made the house a target for him nonetheless. Just bad luck for the people who happened to be living there.

Wait, him asking about the previous owners wasn't a complete front in the movie?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the "Terry" that Manson was asking about in that scene was the legit previous resident of that house and not some Strangers-esque "Is Tamara home?" front.

The more I learn about the movie and the events surrounding it, the more I love it. The attention to detail is unreal. So much of it can be missed/ignored if you don't know the context and that's fantastic.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it tonight and I really enjoyed it....

I think I was the only person in my theater who laughed out loud with the inglorious bastards reference..

I also loved how QT inserted Leo into The Great Escape.

Loved seeing Margo Robbie as Sharon Tate watching a movie with the real Sharon Tate in it.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Brad Pitts line when they were watching FBI was great. "Not when rick dalton has a fucking shotgun."

It was something like that, not verbatim.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
This movie definitely sticks with you.

I think you can sum the theme up as... if even one life was still here (Sharon), they could've given hope to somebody else (Rick).

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Saw it last night and absolutely loved it, even though the internet and every interview leading up to the release made damn sure you knew what Tate's fate would be going into it.

Thought maybe it needed a little bit less of Leo's acting plot but that ending paid off so well, holy shit. All I could think of was that one Pitt interview where he read the last fight and was like "are you serious?"

Not entirely sure how I felt about Bruce Lee's characterization - it definitely leans into the side of him that most leave unsaid, that he's less of a Jesus-like martial artist like how his movies portray him, and more of a persuasive speaker and typical Hollywood action star.

It started to turn back around to being a positive portrayal when he and Pitt started sparring and were evenly matched, and then showing him repeatedly training with Tate and her ex, which also functioned as a great red herring.

Do you have a link to that interview

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It came off to me like the reverse: a three-hour tribute to that old style of masculinity with an ending that asks "What if those days didn't have to end?" DiCaprio may spend most of the movie on the downswing, sure, but the movie doesn't end with him accepting his obsolescence. That's exactly where Tarantino intervenes. Pitt and DiCaprio thwart the plot that ends the sixties, and DiCaprio gets that meeting with "the hottest director in town," implying his star will rise again. I don't necessarily have a problem with all this, but that's the movie I saw.
I think your take on the movie is one based off not understanding some historical context for this movie, which I also didn't understand until I watched Tarantino talking about the film. The ending doesn't say, "what if those days didn't have to end", the beginning of the movie says, "those days ended and you were left behind".

Rick Dalton is apparently based off actors from the 1950s who were popular on TV shows and were never able to transition to film in the 60s. Tarantino says that the cool cowboy persona from the 50s was no longer popular and rather you had more skinny, androgynous and hippie actors, which was the opposite of what Dirk Dalton and those real life actors were.

Which is why that scene in the makeup trailer is so jarring to Rick Dalton, he doesn't understand why he would need to put on makeup and look like a hippie. He wants the audience to see that tough cowboy character, like what was popular in his time, but that's not what the late sixties want.

By the end of the movie he has finally realized he is a man out of time, has let himself transition to something different, and will hopefully find the successes that his contemporaries were able to achieve going into the 60s that he wasn't.

He goes over this in this interview:

Amanita

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think your take on the movie is one based off not understanding some historical context for this movie, which I also didn't understand until I watched Tarantino talking about the film. The ending doesn't say, "what if those days didn't have to end", the beginning of the movie says, "those days ended and you were left behind".
You're right. I changed my mind the second time I saw it. I actually knew the historical context. I just wasn't thinking straight. By 1969 the '50s are (obviously) long over and what's coming is the New Hollywood of Polanski. The ending doesn't imply that the styles and values of the '50s (already over when the movie begins) will return or revive. It implies that Rick is going to be a part of the new film movement and do some real acting. So yeah, my mistake.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Rick say he's one pool party away from getting something big with Polanski and Tate?

Well that's kind of what happens in the ending, just with a flamethrower in the pool

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it a third time soon. For whatever reason this movie has wedged its way into my brain every day for weeks. I love it.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it and enjoyed it for the most part.

My favourite bit was the awesome reference to a classic William Eggleston photo when Rick and Cliff are flying back from Italy.

william_eggleston_en_route_to_new_orleans_1971_1974_from_the_series_los_alamos_1965_1974_c_eggleston_artistic_trust_2004_courtesy_david_zwirner_new_york_london.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

From what I remember, the murders were sort of spontaneous. One of the Manson members freaked out and killed someone during a drug deal gone wrong, so to cover for those murders, Manson in all his stupidity devised a plan to murder famous white people, link those to the original murder, blame it on militant black satanists or something, in hopes of starting a race war. At least that's what he sold to his followers. He knew famous people lived at that house, so it became a target.

The Manson family were really just a bunch of bumbling, drug fueled idiots. It's funny that when this movie was announced everyone freaked out thinking QT would glorify Manson and the murders and the gore, and in reality he did nothing of the sort (Manson himself is in the movie for all of like 30 seconds) and really portrayed the rest of the family to something closer to what they really were. Really played with people's expectations.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Manson family were really just a bunch of bumbling, drug fueled idiots. It's funny that when this movie was announced everyone freaked out thinking QT would glorify Manson and the murders and the gore, and in reality he did nothing of the sort (Manson himself is in the movie for all of like 30 seconds) and really portrayed the rest of the family to something closer to what they really were. Really played with people's expectations.
That was one of my favourite things about it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else think the thing with Cliff's wife, and leaving her death a mystery, was a nod to Natalie Wood? The wife mentions a "Natalie" on the phone too. Not that it was supposed to be Natalie Wood, just a nod to an old Hollywood scandal. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I need to watch again but I must say I really, really loved Margot Robbie in this and what she and QT did with the character of Sharon Tate.

The way she was imbued with her own sense of purpose and existed above that horrible tragedy is one of the most tender character arcs in any Tarantino film, imo. I also enjoyed that we got so little of her, we didn't need a complete dissertation because that would be doing a disservice to her, it would go into fabrications and fundamentally turn her into a new person. What we got instead was an ethereal, vibrant, kind woman and all we can do is wonder about what could have been.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else think the thing with Cliff's wife, and leaving her death a mystery, was a nod to Natalie Wood? The wife mentions a "Natalie" on the phone too. Not that it was supposed to be Natalie Wood, just a nod to an old Hollywood scandal. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
I think you're right

I think you could also really tell that Cliff's role was written for Cruise, but I'm really happy Pitt got it

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna repost this from the other thread since people who've already seen the movie might find it cool

Popped by Westwood Village the other day, thought you guys might find this fun
0I4O1md.jpg

K63kcR4.jpg

rBIaVBF.jpg
Hah, I recognized the theater instantly. I don't often head to Westwood, but I've been there a few times.

When Margot Robbie left the theater, though, you could see a CVS Pharmacy in the background. Kind of brought me out of it for a moment. ^^