• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Think it might be my least favorite Tarantino film. There was a lot to like but the sum of its parts didn't add up to a stellar film unfortunately.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A perfect hangout movie. I loved it. The ending made me very sad about the events that happened to tate.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, I'm a 23 year old Canadian and I thought Charles Manson was a serial killer.
I didn't really know he was like a hippie cult leader, and I definitely didn't know that his followers killed Sharon Tate, which probably robbed the movie of some suspense...

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory

Guess I'm just ignorant :/

Don't feel bad even if you are in the minority, when Charles Manson died a couple years ago some were taken aback by some of us rejoicing and sending our profanity-laden farewells to hell for him. I figured they were just younger posters 'cause they didn't know.

If anyone cares they should read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi, the prosecutor. It's a very engaging and well written account of what happened back then.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
There are people on this planet that do not know who Charles Manson is/was? My mind is officially blown. The only serial killer more known than him is Jack the Ripper.

Now my son did not know who Sharon Tate was. When I explained it to him, he said that improved the movie for him a lot because he felt that in the movie she was just there and didn't do anything to help the film. Obtaining that knowledge filled in a lot of blanks for him. It helps to know who she is before you watch the film.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I have so many thoughts bouncing around in my head, I absolutely love this movie.

God, this film has really affected me. Its been on my mind since I walked out on Sunday. Tarantino did an amazing job placing the viewer into Hollywood in the 1960's its a time machine on film like nothing I have seen in a really long time. I also was surprised by the wholesome vibe through the entire movie. Every character has good intentions, minus the Manson family.

I do believe having a knowledge of the Manson family and the Tate murders is what drives the suspense for the finale. Without any prior knowledge of events I could see how you might be like.. ok?

Rick and Cliffs friendship is amazing. The entire time I was waiting for the eventual break up-reunion we are so programmed to see in the third act. The scene with them watching Ricks FBI episode, sharing a beer and making comments made me smile.

I need to see it one more time in theater.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
A perfect hangout movie. I loved it. The ending made me very sad about the events that happened to tate.
It's a funny case of a happy ending that just makes you feel bad about it.

Rick finally gets the success he's dreamed of when he swallows his pride and drops the machismo cowboys act and embraces the Italian art scene. Cliff has no stunt career at all because his recklessness scares the people around him. Their insistence on toxic masculinity is what's costing them a livelihood.
I don't know if I'd think of a stint in spaghetti westerns and Italian crime flicks as "dropping the machismo cowboys act" lol

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
There are people on this planet that do not know who Charles Manson is/was? My mind is officially blown. The only serial killer more known than him is Jack the Ripper.
1. Charles Manson is not technically a serial killer.
2. Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, The Zodiac Killer, the Golden State Killer, the Unabomber? And that's just the US.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't think I've ever seen QT tackle male masculinity like this before. Both between Rick and Cliff.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Settle an argument for me... in the movie, just before the Manson kids get massacred, if not for the language, the movie could easily be rated PG, or PG-13 at worse, right?

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
1. Charles Manson is not technically a serial killer.
2. Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, The Zodiac Killer, the Golden State Killer, the Unabomber? And that's just the US.

1. you are correct
2. I said that Jack the Ripper was the only one more known. Not the only one. Unless I'm just completely misinterpreting your post.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Think it might be my least favorite Tarantino film. There was a lot to like but the sum of its parts didn't add up to a stellar film unfortunately.

I'd actually say some individual parts are kinda meh but the overall thing when looking back at the movie is good. But most of his other movies are better. Still a good movie.

No. There was too much foul language and smoking.

He said without language. I'm not sure how much smoking affects ratings but language, smoking, and the last part aside this movie definitely could be PG-PG13. Not much else suggestive except maybe some of the women showing a little skin. But then if you don't have all these things it's not a Tarantino movie, so... R.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This movie had the greatest Chekhov's Flamethrower ever... blink and you'd miss the foreshadowing

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
He said without language. I'm not sure how much smoking affects ratings but language, smoking, and the last part aside this movie definitely could be PG-PG13. Not much else suggestive except maybe some of the women showing a little skin. But then if you don't have all these things it's not a Tarantino movie, so... R.

That's kind of the point, the language would change the film a bit. Jackie Brown could have been PG without the language as well.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It's a funny case of a happy ending that just makes you feel bad about it.

I don't know if I'd think of a stint in spaghetti westerns and Italian crime flicks as "dropping the machismo cowboys act" lol

yeah, those movies were also hyper masculine and had their heroes smacking women and shit. but Rick being too proud to swallow the pill that he would need to save his career in Italy could be an example of "toxic masculinity"

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I don't like the comedic tone of the climax. What's the point of Pitt repeatedly bashing the head of that woman into different hard things? Play for laugh?

My favorite part is the period. 1969 really seem very real in the movie.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the comedic tone of the climax. What's the point of Pitt repeatedly bashing the head of that woman into different hard things? Play for laugh?

For revenge. In real life those women stabbed a nine-month-pregnant Tate over a dozen times. Not to mention three other people. It's QT's way of flipping the script; in his version of the story, the Manson cultists are the ones who get brutally murdered.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
RLM really liked it which was surprising, i thought they wouldn't have liked the first 2 hours

I'm not surprised they did. Jay usually loves anything that reminds him of old cinema, and I just had a feeling Mike would.

The more I've been talking to people about the movie, the more I want to see it again. It has stayed fresh in my mind far more than any other movie I've seen this year.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was Tarantino turning the self-indulgent knob to 11 but it's grown on me a TON after thinking about it for a couple of days. Definitely need to see it in theaters again

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
This movie was Tarantino turning the self-indulgent knob to 11 but it's grown on me a TON after thinking about it for a couple of days. Definitely need to see it in theaters again

The second viewing is much better.

The first feels like he wasted a lot of screen time. You leave, can't stop thinking about it. Second viewing, every choice and action makes complete sense for the major 3 characters.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Heard a few a people in my screening who didn't get why Sharon tate was even featured or that she and her friends were murdered in real life.

Or even who Charlie Manson was.

Loved the movie btw all the small details like where they shot the Italian spaghetti western movies was true. Almeria in spain.

Also the Great Escape scene was fantastic again I don't' think many people in my screening got it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have so many thoughts bouncing around in my head, I absolutely love this movie.

God, this film has really affected me. Its been on my mind since I walked out on Sunday. Tarantino did an amazing job placing the viewer into Hollywood in the 1960's its a time machine on film like nothing I have seen in a really long time. I also was surprised by the wholesome vibe through the entire movie. Every character has good intentions, minus the Manson family.

I do believe having a knowledge of the Manson family and the Tate murders is what drives the suspense for the finale. Without any prior knowledge of events I could see how you might be like.. ok?

Rick and Cliffs friendship is amazing. The entire time I was waiting for the eventual break up-reunion we are so programmed to see in the third act. The scene with them watching Ricks FBI episode, sharing a beer and making comments made me smile.

I need to see it one more time in theater.

Absolutely. I was on edge the whole time even after the fight was over and Rick walks up to Sharon's house. Thought QT was going to have the murders somehow still happen or something right up until the title drop. Definitely feel like being aware of the Manson family and the murders helped with the suspense a lot.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still don't understand what the purpose of the Cliff fixing antenna on roof sequence was. What purpose did that serve? He overheard a bit of music and remembered something from the past, but I don't really see the connection to anything else.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand what the purpose of the Cliff fixing antenna on roof sequence was. What purpose did that serve? He overheard a bit of music and remembered something from the past, but I don't really see the connection to anything else.

Manson also got there around the same time and Cliff saw him. Plus in one of the trailers there's a shot of Manson when he gets out of the truck and he waves at someone (assuming it's Cliff) which seems to have gotten cut from the movie. I think that sequence was just a way to give Cliff a bit more backstory and tie him in with the Manson plotline some more.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Manson also got there around the same time and Cliff saw him. Plus in one of the trailers there's a shot of Manson when he gets out of the truck and he waves at someone (assuming it's Cliff) which seems to have gotten cut from the movie. I think that sequence was just a way to give Cliff a bit more backstory and tie him in with the Manson plotline some more.
His tattoo's give insight to his military background.

Ok, interesting thoughts on that one.
I just chalked it up to this movie having a "slice of life" pacing, where maybe some scenes are just there for overall flavor and to deliberately slow the pace.