• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Rich and white, not a chance in hell he will have to face anything. He is untouchable.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely. That being said, I do think he has more of a chance catching some charges when he's not president anymore compared to while he's in office. Republicans will protect him while he's in office but when he's out I don't think people will give a shit about him. The chances of him getting found guilty of anything are probably still very slim unfortunately.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Also Biden wont become the next president, trump will get another term for sure, so maybe he will shoot himself in the foot in his next four year term.

Its truly a shame that the democratic party always makes sure they put up the most boring weak flipflopping pancakes as serious presidential candidates against a personality like trump. First Hillary, now Biden, Its a sure loss. as you can see, the common american people dont give a rats ass about a president being "presidential", or "intelligent" or "respectful" as long as you have someone with an outspoken opinion and a personality that does well on TV

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Trump resigning with 5 mins left in his term to have temporary President Pence pardon him, now that is what you should worry about.

That plan might work if Trump wasn't a raging narcissist who'd be pathologically incapable of elevating a toady like Pence above him for even 5 seconds. Instead, he'll probably issue a general pardon for himself at the last minute.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
He's white and rich, let's be real.

As soon as he's out of office, ain't nobody gonna be going after him for sheeeet.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What's the possibility that his businesses experience death/bankruptcy by a thousand cuts from multiple concurrent/ongoing lawsuits from various parties? That's what I imagine could happen as a worst-case scenario for him. Neither him or his immediate family / close circle of friends are facing jail time. I imagine that you'd have a (slightly?) better chance of going after the significant amount of enablers, grifters, and obstructionists in office that allowed him to go as far as he did, so a part of me feels any energy committed towards holding people in this administration responsible and having them actually convicted/sentenced for their crimes may be better realized there.

On the whole though, I think it's more important that federal institutions rewrite --or actually put into place-- laws and restrictions with actual punishments attached to them on the executive branch, to prevent the shitshow he's created from repeating again with a future administration. The past four years have shown how much value the so-called "gentleman's agreements" of the government are actually worth when you have a team that couldn't give one less of a fuck to abide by them in power.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Well he will most likely lose his massive media presence which to a point is all he ever wanted to begin with. A 24/7 reality show, that's why he has never really gone after the press outside of calling them "fake news" as it gets his base to hate watch them and us who are against him to support them as we feel like they are under attack. I mean CNN flat out said in 2016 that Trump is good business for them because people will tune in just to watch an empty podium down in the corner of the screen because we want to see what he says.

So if he loses he will lose that media coverage which in a way will be truly punishing him.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
Considering how many people thought he'd go down on those impeachment charges, let's not get too excited about this happening ever

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
He did not face justice before being essentially the most powerful person in the world, he is not going to face justice later, and history books will talk positively of him to future generations of kids.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Trump won't face justice and lots will forgive him and it'll be sickening
My take is he'll live until his late 90s even with his shit diet, usually happens.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has made a lot of enemies and the reality of his specific phenomenon means that his power is entirely reliant on being in power- depending on what the nature of his remaining time in office is, there's a few considerations:

Negative

gerald ford style "American unity and need to move forward" deal to forgive and firgetespecially if he manages two terms or pence is installed somehow.

potentially a deal with congress (enemies or friends) in order to avoid some yet to emerge catastrophe or national secrecy issues.

Statute of limitations, Supreme Court and Justice fuckery manages to again keep him out of various jails.

He dies mid sentence having never once paid for his crimes.

Positive

States and feds go after him for serious financial crimes.

people he's betrayed and humiliated crush him. He's upset a LOT of real billionaires.

civil suits absolutely destroy him in court forever even if he wins all of them.

he is hung out to dry when Russia feels there's more political utility in burning the asset while he's still POTUS

His debtors - China, Saudi, Qatar etc call in their markers on money and intelligence and crimes.

his wife divorces him with the most receipts in history.

a co conspirator like Barr or Nunes shits the bed and turns on him.

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Trump won't face charges. President's don't push for charges on previous president's for fear of setting a precedent.

However, Trump lives on his "ratings" and when he loses presidency his becoming irrelevant will make him even more miserable then he already is. Fading into irrelevancy would be worse then prosecution for a guy like that.

May 30, 2018
He will win in November, then nothing will happen to him after another 4 years

He has a secret service detail that will protect him for life, not like there would be a Mob or any vigilante who would try anything though

He will probably get redeemed as one of the funniest presidents the world ever saw, with people linking to YT compilations of his greatest moments, lol

And in 2030+ there will be a New Republican boogeyman and everyone will forget all about Trump

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
A reminder that Nixon didn't face justice.
Yep. And actually this video (~26 min) is extremely relevant to that very fact:

I'd say Trump has done a lot more not only criminally but in overall worsening the nation, but as long as the systems that created, enabled, and empowered him remain in place, those same systems will work to make sure that even if he does face justice, it might be the legal equivalent to spanking a child. The fact that a guy like Harvey Weinstein has caught up to the consequences of his crimes recently gives me a little hope that the apathy that create men like this might be eroding a bit but it's not much.

Oct 26, 2017
He has made a lot of enemies and the reality of his specific phenomenon means that his power is entirely reliant on being in power- depending on what the nature of his remaining time in office is, there's a few considerations:

Negative

gerald ford style "American unity and need to move forward" deal to forgive and firgetespecially if he manages two terms or pence is installed somehow.

potentially a deal with congress (enemies or friends) in order to avoid some yet to emerge catastrophe or national secrecy issues.

Statute of limitations, Supreme Court and Justice fuckery manages to again keep him out of various jails.

He dies mid sentence having never once paid for his crimes.

Positive

States and feds go after him for serious financial crimes.

people he's betrayed and humiliated crush him. He's upset a LOT of real billionaires.

civil suits absolutely destroy him in court forever even if he wins all of them.

he is hung out to dry when Russia feels there's more political utility in burning the asset while he's still POTUS

His debtors - China, Saudi, Qatar etc call in their markers on money and intelligence and crimes.

his wife divorces him with the most receipts in history.

a co conspirator like Barr or Nunes shits the bed and turns on him.
or my take.

he and his family flee immediatly to russia.

only to be turned away by putin.

they then flee to North korea.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I have zero hope that he or his disgusting corrupt family will face justice.

He got away with everything so far. He might even get rewarded with a re-election despite a never-ending list of fuckery. So yeah... not holding my breath.

I really do hope that history will not be kind to him and his family, though. That he will be remembered as a monster and so on. Though even that is unlikely, as pieces of shit like Reagan and Bush are lionized. Hopefully he'll be despised like Woodrow Wilson or Andrew Jackson more than he'll be praised and fondly remembered like the other two.

There is no such thing as karma.

It's a comforting lie that people convince themselves into believing because the truth that there is no justice except for the justice we, ourselves, enforce is just too unbearable for many.

And I had a Buddhist upbringing!
Unfortunately, I agree. Always makes me sad when people wish for karma, or in the rare instances that someone does get what they deserve, they see it as evidence of karma. Nah, life doesn't work that way, and when it does "hit" it's just a happy coincidence really. :\

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The best we can hope for is that Trump loses and knows that the nation rejected him. He surrounds himself in a bubble of yes-men to hide his massive insecurities and legendarily thin skin, so having the nation loudly kick him to the curb would destroy his soul more than any slap on the wrist would from the courts.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Your country is too broken and corrupt to do anything about it. Y'all couldn't even remove him from office after EVERYTHING

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the fact he's a wealthy white dude, the reality is that America would find it too embarrassing to send a former President to prison so we won't do it even if we should.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'd love to see a Secret Service detail attempt to hold back a bloodthirsty mob of a couple thousand.

The fact that you and others in this thread actually believe that this is a possibility is kinda hilarious.

But in actuality I didn't say anything about that. I just said Trump gets to line his pockets with tax money from whatever secret service protection he receives until he croaks...

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
He will be indicted by New York. Whether he is found guilty and actually gets a decent punishment I have no idea.

OP
OP
S-Wind

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
People keep bringing up W, Regan, Nixon, Kissinger, etc.

Did any of them have state charges coming their way?

Americans will never allow a former president to face a court in a foreign land (the Hague), but having a former president face a state court, that's different because in that scenario Americans aren't submitting their leader to a foreign authority.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way in hell Trump will face any consequences, and be prepared for a fully decked out presidential funeral when he dies.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He'll leave, start his own tv show or radio show and shit on Democrats until the business fails as all his businesses do.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gropey Joe will go after Trump to exactly the same degree that Cool King Obama went after Bush (who actually committed war crimes).

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
There's no way Biden will do it out of a sense of morality. It's all about political calculations.

Is the appeal of justice and restoration of faith in the rule of law greater than the risk of turning him into a martyr? You better believe if Trump & his cronies go to trial, conspiracy theories and the right wing media will explode. Even if it can be 100% proven that he committed several crimes while in office (which he did), the backlash may not be worth it, potentially costing them the Senate in only 2 years.

I would think the smart thing to do would be to let the SDNY or Biden's pick for AG handle it. Hopefully it's an unknown career prosecutor and not a big name like Schiff or Harris. We want this to appear as non-partisan as possible. Investigating things like embezzlement, profiteering, and fraud would also be good, forcing his cronies to surrender ill-gotten gains. Time in prison would be much harder federally. I think that would only be possible at the state level.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
All this second term talk is not based in reality whatsoever.
The best way would be just to go after the money, not him. Freeze all avenues of dark money he uses and claw back anything that seems to be have gained inappropriately. Put pressure on other governments to do the same (maybe threaten to withhold aid?). Then you're just "cutting down on corruption" and not specifically "after Trump". Then you let his creditors have at him while trying to block any new loans behind the scenes.
LOL

Apr 25, 2020
He's probably banking on the Nixon approach, hanging his hopes on a Republican president pardoning him for any indiscretions.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
not going after him will probably be Biden's "olive branch" to the remaining Republicans in Congress to get things back to "normal". It won't work, but he will try.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
There's no way Biden will do it out of a sense of morality. It's all about political calculations.

Is the appeal of justice and restoration of faith in the rule of law greater than the risk of turning him into a martyr? You better believe if Trump & his cronies go to trial, conspiracy theories and the right wing media will explode. Even if it can be 100% proven that he committed several crimes while in office (which he did), the backlash may not be worth it, potentially costing them the Senate in only 2 years.

I would think the smart thing to do would be to let the SDNY or Biden's pick for AG handle it. Hopefully it's an unknown career prosecutor and not a big name like Schiff or Harris. We want this to appear as non-partisan as possible. Investigating things like embezzlement, profiteering, and fraud would also be good, forcing his cronies to surrender ill-gotten gains. Time in prison would be much harder federally. I think that would only be possible at the state level.

This is where I'm at. On the one hand, Trump's whole strategy his entire life has been about avoiding accountability by making it too costly to take him down without some severe losses for the other side. We saw it with his bankrupcies, where banks decided he was too big to fail and crushing him would result in severe financial losses for themselves. We saw it with his nomination, where GOP party leadership knew he was unfit for office, but decided he was too big to fail and depriving him of the nomination would result in the fracturing of a party that was already barely hanging on to national competitiveness through a combination of a geographical advantage in the Electoral College, a propaganda network to herd the base and vote suppression and gerrymandering in the states they controlled. We saw it during this term, where even Republican politicians (most of whom really, really do know that Trump is corrupt, incompetent and a rotten human being) stick with him because standing up to him gets you singled out and then kicked out. We may see it if he loses his diplomatic immunity.

We already saw during the impeachment process that Trump was guilty of stuff that would have ended the career of previous politicians, he 100% admitted he did what he was accused of and credible witnesses testified it. And yet, Trump's strategy of flooding the zone with shit eventually caused the vast majority of the Republican politicians (including those who previously said that this stuff was grounds for removal) to move the goalposts and say "yeah, this stuff is fine". The same would happen during a criminal prosecution. His cult will quickly pivot to "yes, embezzlement and laundering is fine". Trump actually landing in jail would almost certainly cause enough of a political backlash to lose Democrats the senate and possibly the house in 2022. The question would be whether poetic justice on a man who spent his entire term gleefully flaunting breaking the law would be worth turning a presidency that could potentially get stuff done back into a lame duck and shut down the restoration of the judicial branch. The State of New York going all in on him would probably provide SOME political cover, though it'd be still be blown up into a political retaliation scandal by the right-wing media. Once he'd be in jail and deprived of his platform, additional federal charges silently trinkling in afterwards and adding to his sentence would make much less of a splash.

not going after him will probably be Biden's "olive branch" to the remaining Republicans in Congress to get things back to "normal". It won't work, but he will try.

The ironic thing is that having Trump thrown in jail would be the greatest gift he could give them. A large amount of Republican politicians don't like Trump. They know how unfit for office he is and they hate having to publically kiss the ass of a man who's so much dumber than they are. They also know that once he no longer has the power to confirm their judges or sign their legislation, they'll still be stuck with him. They'll lose all the benefits while still being forced to deal with all the hassles. Bush was a party creature, so once his popularity dropped and he knew his presence would hinder the party, he had the good sense to silently retreat from the political scene. Trump doesn't care about the party's political goals, he just sees it as a vehicle for his need for constant adulation. So he'll stick around, try to make everything about him and will hang on to his base inside the party with all his might and threaten to go scorched earth if the Romney faction makes attempts to push him out. (which, if Biden manages to flip the senate, will almost certainly be attempted) Heck, he'd either insist on running again in 2024 or try to turn the 2024 primaries into a season of The Apprentice, with candidates having to kiss his ass on television. You think the party leadership WANTS that?

There's been a lot of fear of the GOP nominating a "smarter Trump" next time, but ironically that'll remain a lot more difficult as long as the original sticks around because in Trump's mind there's no such thing as a smarter Trump who isn't him. He'll refuse to stay out of the newcomer's way because he can't bear to play second fiddle to anyone. He'll be what center-leftists feared Bernie Sanders would be before the latter proved them wrong by fully getting behind Joe Biden.

So the question remains what would be most politically beneficial. Throwing Trump in jail and giving Republicans who secretly hate him the ability to gleefully fundraise off his misery? Or letting Trump be part of an intra-party civil war because the man can't see when his presence is no longer beneficial?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Justice is not for men of his station. Three of the past four presidents should be in prison but they are considered inviolable. There are some legal scholars who seriously entertain the idea that the president is in his right to murder by his own hand.

More broadly, the elites who are responsible for climate change will either die before the crisis is fully unleashed or they will be secure in their palatial compounds. They, too, are above the law.