• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Switch is now just a hair from being 2 and a half years old (where does the time go?). I'm going to assume it too will have a rather large lifespan of at least 6-7 years. Definitely more than the previous norm of five which seems to be the case for very successful consoles, though it depends if Nintendo feels any pressure from the PS5 and Scarlett to get moving quicker, probably not.

So where does Nintendo go from there then? Switch is a monster hit, proving Nintendo made the brilliant call of going with a hybrid home console and portable system, but can they just beef up the hardware, slap a 2 on the logo and call it a day? I'd be totally down with that. It's a good setup and I think Nintendo can easily just cruise on another gen with the setup, just now prioritizing power with MAYBE 8K docked output and a 1080p screen (do we really need a 4K screen within 10 years?). Really native 4K docked would be more than enough for me, I think 4K would be a big bump over Switch's not exactly common 1080p output and is absolutely the norm and will be for quite a few years. if anything Sony and MS might again be rushing it to try and go native 8K. I dunno, just feels like it, with 8K TVs now only really being the token "burn lots of money and show it off" sort of thing with literally nothing to take advantage of it today to my knowledge.

I don't really see a whole lot Nintendo can add to the Switch 2 gimmick-wise without risking it being unessesary. I don't see Nintendo making a fully realized VR system ala PlayStation VR when Labo VR is a seemingly decent cheap alternative that when refined with Switch 2 could be perfected... maybe. Maybe you guys have some ideas in this regard that I'd love to hear.

Where do you see Nintendo going with their next system? When do you see it coming out? I can only hope we won't go through an NX 2.0 no news for years hype cycle again. :P
Labo VR is not decent compared to PSVR or PCVR. Maybe if they make their next system more VR compatible from the start.

Oct 27, 2017
I think a Switch 2 with an optional VR gimmick for home use is the most sensible guess.

But after all Nintendo lives off of surprising people, so most guesses will probably be wrong. Who knows, maybe they dig out that vitality sensor as the next big thing?

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I mean Nvidia probably just needs to make a nice new chip for it. I can see something in 2021 being pretty damn powerful for a system like this.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Having a 100% home console again is no more. Nintendo nailed the way of blend it's portable and home business into one device which also happens to be succesful so the only thing they should keep doing is just pump up the power and keep doing great games

.... But knowing Nintendo, they will probably mess up everything by pulling another Wii U sort of machine, with a dumb gimmick as their primary selling point. The trend has gone since the GC. GC = Fail, Wii = Win, Wii U = Fail, Switch = Win, Switch successor = Fail???? We'll see...

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why people are expecting the Switch 2 to barely match, if not come short of, the PS4. I'd expect it to beat out the PS4 undocked and then be somewhere in between the PS4 and PS4 Pro docked, if we look at how the Switch compares to the PS4/XB1 and PS3/360 and how the Vita faired against the PS3/360 and the PS2/GC/Xbox. Aside from the Wii, all of Nintendo's hardware successors were a power generation above their last one

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they could do a "Switch 2", but I'd be wary of that concept because 3DS and Wii U had much less enthusiasm from the market compared to their successful predecessors.

Something new and original is hopefully what they go with. Of course I do hope the next system is still a hybrid.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well, they could do a "Switch 2", but I'd be wary of that concept because 3DS and Wii U had much less enthusiasm from the market compared to their successful predecessors.

Something new and original is hopefully what they go with. Of course I do hope the next system is still a hybrid.
3DS and Wii U arguably had less enthusiasm because they weren't exactly DS2 and Wii 2. 3DS sort of got there more though.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
More powerful Switch 2 and the dock comes with added processing power.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Just double down on VR as the added play style for Switch 2 with a higher resolution screen and the usual power improvements.

Add a reverse Wii U mode using the new wifi protocol as an added bonus. At that point Switch would truly encompass every play style under the sun.

Last edited:

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Nintendo doesn't need to do anything other than continue to improve their current paradigm with the Switch for me to be satisfied. It honestly feels like something they've been working towards for decades.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Switch is now just a hair from being 2 and a half years old (where does the time go?). I'm going to assume it too will have a rather large lifespan of at least 6-7 years. Definitely more than the previous norm of five which seems to be the case for very successful consoles, though it depends if Nintendo feels any pressure from the PS5 and Scarlett to get moving quicker, probably not.

So where does Nintendo go from there then? Switch is a monster hit, proving Nintendo made the brilliant call of going with a hybrid home console and portable system, but can they just beef up the hardware, slap a 2 on the logo and call it a day? I'd be totally down with that. It's a good setup and I think Nintendo can easily just cruise on another gen with the setup, just now prioritizing power with MAYBE 8K docked output and a 1080p screen (do we really need a 4K screen within 10 years?). Really native 4K docked would be more than enough for me, I think 4K would be a big bump over Switch's not exactly common 1080p output and is absolutely the norm and will be for quite a few years. if anything Sony and MS might again be rushing it to try and go native 8K. I dunno, just feels like it, with 8K TVs now only really being the token "burn lots of money and show it off" sort of thing with literally nothing to take advantage of it today to my knowledge.

I don't really see a whole lot Nintendo can add to the Switch 2 gimmick-wise without risking it being unessesary. I don't see Nintendo making a fully realized VR system ala PlayStation VR when Labo VR is a seemingly decent cheap alternative that when refined with Switch 2 could be perfected... maybe. Maybe you guys have some ideas in this regard that I'd love to hear.

Where do you see Nintendo going with their next system? When do you see it coming out? I can only hope we won't go through an NX 2.0 no news for years hype cycle again. :P

I'm with you. Why cant they just do Switch's from now on? Or maybe people will get tired of the concept? I dont know.

I always say they're out of "gimmicks" then they come up with something new (if you even count Switch as a gimmick?) so I dont know. Of course that something ended badly with Wii U.

My idea for a Nintendo system in the throes of Wii U's failure was this: Basically a Ouya with Nintendo backing. Hear me out. A small home system with a (hopefully powerful) mobile chipset that just sips a few watts. Cost: $99 or $149. So I mean everyone would buy one because why not? This system would rely heavily on a retro hook, Nintendo would be selling those SNES/NES/N64 whatever ports like crazy. They would also have enough power to do nice 3D new versions of all their Mario's and Zelda's.

But I'm sure they're making way more money on Switch, so, RIP my idea.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking they fully merge handheld and console and make a smaller clamshell unit that fits in a pocket, but can stream to smart TVs, etc.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Anything beyond 1080p screen is not realistic and its wishful thinking, same like 4k native resolution in docked mode.
I fully expect Switch 2 to support 4k just like the Wii U supported 1080p. Most games probably won't exceed 1440p but it will be capable of 4k output and you'll see some native 4k games which are mainly indie games, older ports, and Smash Bros because Sakurai just seems to roll like that.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
This is
It's CPU and RAM will easily blow both out of the water. Maybe GPU will be close in terms of GFLOPS but being more modern sort of skews real world performance.

Switch 2 vs PS4/XBO probably won't be much different than Switch vs 360/PS3.
This is just crazy to think about. I'm in, if true.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
They'll continue the Switch 2 hybrid concept. Beyond that, can see them recreating a new way of gaming. Nintendo likes to innovate because there competitors tend to copy them sooner or later and rather be the leader of the innovation pack.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Probably an upgraded switch with a dock with real supplementary power to play the portable games in high specs in docked mode.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be foolish to move away from the Switch. Just make a better version that doesn't cost more than the Switch currently costs, backwards compatible and better online. I assume that soon the big 3 will all have their own streaming services too.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
A more powerful switch which has BC with old switch

To be hon3st givenwhat it sounds like the ps5 and Xbox two will be like they might as well just do the same and keep upgrading to more powerful models

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo is going to add a special differentiator ala the DS>3DS, I suspect they might lean into VR. I expect the Joy-cons to be refined and the handheld screen resolution bumped to 1080. But just looking at their history of handhelds, in all of their follow ups, they've kept the basic concept but refined it. I expect the Switch 2 to be backwards compatible as well and that includes controllers (although the Joy-con 2s may not attach to the system).

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Something that builds upon their Switch hybrid model. They've restructured their entire company's structure around it, there's simply no going back. Expect a Switch 2 with Xbox One-like power possibly one or two hardware gimmicks. However I would expect them to start looking into cloud streaming as well. A console like the Switch with 5G would be the perfect game streaming vector and they'd be crazy to ignore it. It won't be their main focus, but I assume they'll want to test the waters.

Oct 27, 2017
Switch 2, with the same concept as Switch. I can see them experimenting a bit with the joycons, offering optional simpler control schemes with less buttons, a touch-pad like small joycon with tactile feedback and so on.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
nintendo-on-625x352.png

Our bodies are Reggie.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Maybe they'll go mobile. Something along the lines of what they're doing now with Switch in terms of connectivity to a TV/entertainment system, but where the device itself is a mobile device on the market with and competing with other lines, i.e. Apple, Samsung, etc. I mean, where else can they go if they still intend to do hardware?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I fully expect Switch 2 to support 4k just like the Wii U supported 1080p. Most games probably won't exceed 1440p but it will be capable of 4k output and you'll see some native 4k games which are mainly indie games, older ports, and Smash Bros because Sakurai just seems to roll like that.

I agree, probably some Indie games would probably run at full 4k,
but some people expecting 4k native for almost all games, OP even said that he would be "satisfied" with 4k and that Nintendo would maybe go for 8k.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they'll go mobile. Something along the lines of what they're doing now with Switch in terms of connectivity to a TV/entertainment system, but where the device itself is a mobile device on the market with and competing with other lines, i.e. Apple, Samsung, etc. I mean, where else can they go if they still intend to do hardware?
...a Switch 2? Not sure why they'd need to make a flat out smartphone or how that'd even necessarily work

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
I feel like this thread was made without much understanding of how hardware works.

My thinking is they will keep the format and partner with a company to introduce streaming eventually, but probably at a point it's too late. I mean they already dabbled with streaming services recently with RE7 and assassin's creed, in Japan only though.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Streaming will be huge on switch 2. It will be a dedicated streaming device. Much better suited than a phone or tablet.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
If it were any other company, this would be the easiest question ever: Switch 2. Same as the first one but more power, more pixels, more polygons, more ports.

Nintendo, however, has an infuriating tendency to reinvent the wheel - especially when they're doing well. (And given how they've done this gen...)

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
A Switch with at least 1440p docked would be neat. I just hope they keep doing this concept forever, because it works great.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Backwards compatible more powerful switch. Why do anything else?

Because Nintendo.

Nintendo really likes changing up their systems. There are no Nintendo systems that are the exact same as the previous but just with more power. Sometimes there are huge drastic changes, sometimes it's mostly the controller, sometimes the controller is the huge drastic change. But there's always something.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Switch 2 will be an iterative device. Nintendo always does this stuff in pairs (NES -> SNES, N64 -> GC, GB/GBC -> GBA, DS/DSi -> 3DS/n3DS). The one time they really radically changed up a direct iterative successor (Wii -> Wii U) it blew up in their face.

They won't reinvent the wheel for Switch 2. There will some tweaks here or there but it'll very much be a "Super Switch" or "Switch Advance" style direct iteration on the Switch design and concept.

British

Dec 15, 2018
I think every future Nintendo console will be Switch-like going forward. They simply can't go back from here. At most they'll introduce game streaming.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I think it depends a lot on when the next Switch is. I think next year a bump with something Volta/Turing based (without RT) on a modern ARM or Denver 2 based quad core CPU could be a very good 'Pro' model that would run existing games at at least twice the resolution and have a lot more power for high framerate, nicer looking games made specifically for it. CPU wise even with only 4 cores it would probably run laps around current gen consoles, GPU wise it would probably fall somewhere between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

If it's further than a year or two it's really hard to predict where tech will be, but obviously the base requirements will be higher to compete.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Because Nintendo.

Nintendo really likes changing up their systems. There are no Nintendo systems that are the exact same as the previous but just with more power. Sometimes there are huge drastic changes, sometimes it's mostly the controller, sometimes the controller is the huge drastic change. But there's always something.

Eh, what's so different about DS to 3DS? The 3D was always an optional feature and it was rarely used. It was the technical specs that seemed to be the biggest difference.