• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I don't know how, but Doug just continues to get worse and worse. He was reviewing the Sam Raimi Spider-Man, the scene in question is where Green Goblin attacks the Bugle looking for the photographer who took the pictures of Spider-Man, but yet, despite Peter being in the room, Jameson REFUSES to tell him where he is. Yet Doug says "You gotta explain it."

It's as if the idea of Jameson having INTEGRITY escapes Doug. Let me explain something to you, Doug. The whole point of Jameson is that he's cheap, he's a jerk, yes, but he does have integrity, the scene in question where Jameson sticks up for Peter shows that Jameson may be a jerk, but he does have a heart. Then again, I guess Doug wouldn't know the first thing about treating his employees with integrity.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The last time I heard someone talk about Nostalgia Critic it was his recent review of Duckman which praised the show for being anti-SJW.

So uh.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
It's so baffling to see this guy and people like DSP still pumping out trash content in 2020.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think even his fans watch his critiques as some authentic form of film review. Just dumb entertainment.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, the person who tweeted that has a very lengthy takedown of the entire thing. here's the start of the twitter thread.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how little Doug has evolved over the years.

Then again, it's very clear Doug would rather create skits/do comedy bits over deep film analysis. He created a new comedy game show after leaving the Nostalgia Critic, which was awful and failed, so he returned to being the Nostalgia Critic and slowly over time integrated comedy skits.

His entire Pink Floyd's The Wall review is just a parody of the movie with no actual film analysis. He's even selling the parody songs on fucking iTunes.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I heard it's a whole month of Spidey so prep up.

Also, wasn't the point of Duckman that he was an asshole but being AntiPC? Ummmmm...

Oh right, he's an asshole who doesn't get shit and only does shit for clicks.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've always approached his work primary as comedy rather than film criticism. I can't imagine ever taking what he says seriously. The fact he didn't understand the "just a couple of acres/achers" joke in Last Action Hero was enough to make that clear to me.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's as if the idea of Jameson having INTEGRITY escapes Doug.

Honestly Doug Walker not believing that a manager of a small media empire would be capable of integrity is the least surprising thing I've read in over a month.

I was considering doing lavish upgrades of my home theater setup this year but I think I'll just watch this video on the TV, because it's uncomfortably high-definition projection

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I heard it's a whole month of Spidey so prep up.

Also, wasn't the point of Duckman that he was an asshole but being AntiPC? Ummmmm...

Oh right, he's an asshole who doesn't get shit and only does shit for clicks.
From what I understand, he likes the Amazing Spider-Man movies more than the Raimi films.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Watching this guy's content as a teen is one of my Greatest Shames, it's incredibly bizarre how identical the output is when most all of his contemporaries have evolved

Also I dunno how I put up with the inflections he puts into his commentary because it's honestly kinda painful now

Oct 25, 2017
I mean him giving terrible hot takes about films he doesn't understand is kinda his thing. The fact he's a terrible person should be a clue why no one cares about him anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this guy's content as a teen is one of my Greatest Shames, it's incredibly bizarre how identical the output is when most all of his contemporaries have evolved

Also I dunno how I put up with the inflections he puts into his commentary because it's honestly kinda painful now
He was at least a kind of a new and interesting thing years go, though the schtick wore real thin quickly imo. I enjoyed him for a bit in early college but then the rise of more interesting content boomed and left him behind

To his credit, he tried to kill the Critic persona and move on, but I think that exposed a....deficiency of other talent and insight so he had to go back to his dancing monkey act to make money.

But all that awful bullshit that was exposed means there's no reason to care about his content anymore.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'll echo the statements about his content never evolving. I eventually outgrew his shit. It's pretty shocking that I can look at it in 2020 and it's still the same. In regards to the clip, lol. Sounds like he's just being dumb on purpose. You don't have to be a Spider-Man fan to understand why Jameson didn't rat out Peter in that scene.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
i agree, goblin should have picked up jameson and said "who's the cunt takin photos of spiderman?"

really lost their chance there with the PG-13 rating. Would have been a stand out scene that defied expectations, still talked about this today.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried to watch one video of this guy many years ago with him as Nostalgia Critic and was super put off by the cringe and try-hard approach.

He is neither funny nor particularly knowledgeable. Why do people watch this?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to watch one video of this guy many years ago with him as Nostalgia Critic and was super put off by the cringe and try-hard approach.

He is neither funny nor particularly knowledgeable. Why do people watch this?
Same reason why Cinemasins still exists, Hot Takes.

Aug 27, 2018
I went to a con that he was a guest at a couple of years ago. I was having a drink with a buddy at the bar and Doug happened to sit down next to me. A kid came up and was telling him how much he liked his videos to which Doug's response was "can't you see I'm trying to have a drink?" the kid looked super disappointed and then walked off. The guy is an asshole.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I went to a con that he was a guest at a couple of years ago. I was having a drink with a buddy at the bar and Doug happened to sit down next to me. A kid came up and was telling him how much he liked his videos to which Doug's response was "can't you see I'm trying to have a drink?" the kid looked super disappointed and then walked off. The guy is an asshole.

Yet people thought he was a nice guy deep down.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I realized during his Matrix Month years ago, that he'll CinemaSins the fuck out of movies even if there really isn't anything worth critiquing.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I realized during his Matrix Month years ago, that he'll CinemaSins the fuck out of movies even if there really isn't anything worth critiquing.

Well I remember when he was starting off, his review of the original Ninja Turtles movie, he edited the footage to make it look like Splinter just threw Shredder straight into the dumpster when.... no, that's not how it happened. There was a whole part where Splinter had Shredder dangling.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Doug holds an equilibrium in being an unfunny fool and an incompetent critic. Dunno who's willing to continue watching his shit.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I can't believe I used to like his stuff. Some of the clips posted are absolutely baffling because of how much he misses the mark or seems to play to the MRA crowd.

"Haha Peter Parker is crying because his uncle died, what a wimp."

When the Angry Video Game Nerd actually evolved compared to him...
Not that he's much better. I saw a video recently where he was bemoaning how bad blu-rays are and pretty much all of his arguments were "I don't understand this thing and I'm too lazy to Google for an answer".

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Not that he's much better. I saw a video recently where he was bemoaning how bad blu-rays are and pretty much all of his arguments were "I don't understand this thing and I'm too lazy to Google for an answer".
Comedy wise, he evolved. That yeah but he's not the only one, I listened to a whole podcast recently where they complained about BR Discs and missed the VHS scene and I'm like...

"Okay?"