• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Neo Geo because my dad would let me "play" with it when I was very very little but the earliest console I actually remember is sega genesis.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I played SNES, GB and on Windows all around the same time (~2000-01), I wanna say SNES with Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario RPG was first, followed by GB and Pokemon Yellow a few months later, then the original Sims on PC a few weeks after that.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
SNES. Earliest memory of game was TMNT tournament fighters or Madden 98. It wasnt until I saw MGS1 running on a Playstation that I was hooked though.

DoornicK

Oct 27, 2017
It has to be in arcades, I remember playing galaga when I was around 4yo. I also remember playing aún Atari (probably 2600). All of these before my parenrts got me a famicom clone for christmas when I was 6yo.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Arcade games were what I played first. Of course, they weren't always in arcades (in food takeaways, randomly placed thoughout shopping malls, sports clubs, etc.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
NES for me. My dad owned one and I don't think he was into gaming lol. Had Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt with the orange gun. Fun times.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Really showing my age with this one:

Space Invaders on Atari 2600

I was born in '83. My parents are responsible for my video game addiction.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Super Nintendo, my first games (don't remember exactly which one was first) were Super Mario World and Mortal Kombat II

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
TI-99/4A (Kudos for actually having it as an option in the poll!)

Mostly played Mouse Hunt and the Space Invader and Pac-Man knockoff games.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
My friend had an Atari 2600 that I used to play every time we visited. Our first console though was the NES (Duck Hunt/SMB/Zapper bundle).

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Nintendo Entertainment System! We had that Duckhunt-Super Mario Bros. bundle and I was a wee baby that liked shooting at ducks.

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System
As far as I can remember it was the family Sega Dreamcast. I love the aesthetic of it and still have a soft spot for it.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Atari 2600 - Pole position is the first one I have any memory of playing.

born in 82 and had an awesome uncle that loved video games so I'm sure I played pong before but I truly remember the 2600 being the first "console" I ever played

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was on the NES. Could have been SNES, but it was a crash dummy game that was released on both and I'm not sure what version it was since I was like four and had just moved continents. The second game I played was Super Mario Bros 3, so that makes me think it was the NES.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Amstrad PC 1512

8086 CPU
512 Kb of RAM
no HDD
Two 5 1/4" FDD
MS-DOS 3.20

230px-Amstrad_PC1512.jpg

I remember some games didn't even need MS-DOS. Just boot directly from disk at startup.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
1. Arcade (in '85-ish)
2. Friend's Atari 2600 (original VCS, in '86)
3. My own Atari 7800 (in '88)

But after that, I quickly caught up to new systems and new games with the arrival of the glorious 16-bit Era.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
First game ever was Super Mario Land on a Gameboy pocket. I remember vividly never getting far in the game.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure - it was either Super Nintendo (my grandmother had one, and I eventually got one as a hand-me-down) or DOS (my father had a computer and I would play, like, Mickey Mouse edutainment games, and watch Battle Chess play itself).

I voted SNES because I remember that more specifically, but it's really a coin toss. It was around the same time, between 2-4.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
tvFxujd.gif

(MS-DOS or early Windows, I'm not sure)

So many apogee games, also Wolf3D and later Doom. I knew command prompt better then than I do now...

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Pong clone for me.

I wonder how many people are considerably younger than the console they first experienced. For example, my nephews would all answer NES, because of me, but they were all born after it was off the market. I have no doubt that many people's first game was on an old system (at the time), rather than a new one.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I´m not 100% sure, but i think it was the gameboy, some shitty games on it, before i got to pokemon, because i didn´t know any better lol.
If not nes.