• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greaf

Feb 26, 2018
Supra RZ and Skyline GTR: best cars
GTO Twinturbo and Subaru Impreza for the second place.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved gto twinturbo as a used car. Still looking for it in other racing games :)

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Saving Private Ryan old.gif

I remember renting this when it came out. I was blown away by the graphics and all the cars...and wtf are these Japanese cars I've never heard of? Even though the competition has caught up, and surpassed it in many ways, it's still one of my favorite franchises.

Dec 6, 2017
US
GT was amazing when it came out. I wasn't even into racing games and I bought it just because it looked so damn good and had such a cool 'campaign' if you'd call it that. Loved it.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Subaru imorez

The goat.

Subaru impreza

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think it came to the UK until 1998, but it truly was amazing back then to 11yo me and all my friends.

GTO twin turbo with 930bhp hell yeah!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was such a unique experience back then. Nothing like it. Starting with a beat up, used car and slowly but surely making it into the big leagues. It felt great, like a Car-RPG of some sort.

I'm also glad I managed to play the Japanese import version first. I despised all of the musical changes made to the international versions, with their licensed music and the electronic tracks used for the menus. The fusion jazz in the Japanese version helped in providing a more unique, kinda classy atmosphere, especially the tracks composed by T-Square's Masahiro Andoh. Thankfully at least several of the menu themes survived past GT1 for future editions of the franchise.

And of course Moon Over The Castle is the GOAT.

Last edited:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Gran Turismo completely changed the game when it came out. The racing game genre is pretty much: Before GT/After GT.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
The start of something special (for the majority of the time).

Gran Turismo 7...please be good!

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This game was THE showcase for the PS1. They squeezed every drop of power from that console and made a landmark title that, IMO, was PS1's biggest success. Even more than FF7, Tekken, MGS, and Resident Evil.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Gran Turismo sparked my interest in racing sims, and deepened an existing love of racers in general. I can't give the series enough kudos for that "little" nudge, it made a significant difference in my life and hobbies from then on. I still remember sitting in the mall, reading the instruction manual's introduction to racing lines and ideal turn entry/exit speeds, and it absolutely blowing my tiny little mind; The idea of driving slower giving you faster times felt impossible.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My first was GT 3. Sooooooo many memories playing that game.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
This series got me into the Skyline and Supra, and basically cars in general. Wasn't there a manufacturer who said their sales went way up directly because of GT1? Or was it 2

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This game was THE showcase for the PS1. They squeezed every drop of power from that console and made a landmark title that, IMO, was PS1's biggest success. Even more than FF7, Tekken, MGS, and Resident Evil.

Not just your opinion, of all of the legendary games on the original PlayStation (Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Tony Hawk, etc., etc.), Gran Turismo sold more copies than everything.

The only time Sony produced a title that sold more than any third party game on their system.

mcfizzle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Gran Turismo is the reason that I've owned every Playstation system. It gave me thousands of hours of fun as a kid and led me into sim racing as a hobby as an adult. It introduced me to the Nürburgring and made me a fan of endurance racing. Gran Turismo has been a part of my life for almost 23 years! Thank you PD. I can't wait to see the future of Gran Turismo.