• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Well it came out in Japan on this day and the rest of the world later that month in 2011. But wow can't believe this game is 10 years old and the fact they never made a true console sequel to the excellent PSP games. What are some of your memories of this game?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Loved this game so much, playing it on an emulator is really fun, especially with character skin mods people have created!

Shame Dissidia NT completely ruined the series

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy, I was just thinking about this game randomly. Probably the most amount of hours I've ever put into any non-MMO. Gilgamesh was a great addition to the sequel and my favorite in the series.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Still can't believe how their ruined their own series like that

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
This game was so damn great. I was pleasantly surprised by the original Dissidia, and then they released such an incredible update for it. Really lovely game, it deserved better than what we got with Dissidia NT. It's such a shame they took that route when they could have just built on what 012 did. Hell, I woudn't mind if they just release an updated version of 012 for consoles and Switch. I feel like that would be an easy win. The good still looks pretty nice, so it might not be too much of an effort to get it ported.

EDIT: Also, I had this song (along with Chaos' theme) stuck in my head for the longest time when clearing through the story. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Macca

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
This game was so damn great. I was pleasantly surprised by the original Dissidia, and then they released such an incredible update for it. Really lovely game, it deserved better than what we got with Dissidia NT. It's such a shame they took that route when they could have just built on what 012 did. Hell, I woudn't mind if they just release an updated version of 012 for consoles and Switch. I feel like that would be an easy win. The good still looks pretty nice, so it might not be too much of an effort to get it ported.

I would've loved a port to consoles or PC with online play added.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best feelings in gaming is when you're are just so hyped for a game and it just delivers when it finally arrives. I don't think I ever watched a game so closely than the first Dissidia. It truly felt like a celebration of the series and I was eating up every piece of information and was loving all the Amano designs they were giving the characters. It was the first and only game I ever imported I think. 012 was such a great expansion to the original.

Oct 27, 2017
It is such a fun game.

They should have remastered this game instead while adding new characters. That would have been way better than whatever NT was.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was absolutely addicted to playing this game on my Vita and oh boy did that PS4 release depress me

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Such a great game, and the opening with the FF Numbers being counted down blew my mind.

Sadly though this will always be the game that made me start hating lighting despite loving her in XIII.

Still absolutely fantastic product.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Christ. Can't believe it's been a decade. I loved 012, the story mode was really extensive and the combat was great. Adding assist characters was a good idea. I wish they'd backed off on the retailer-exclusive preorder DLC, but eh, I got my KH Cloud at least.

I brought my PSP to school often and tried to beat a friend who mained Gabranth. I don't think I ever beat him lol.

I really hope they remake it eventually. The direction they went with NT was really unfortunate. I liked its combat, but the rest of the game was just so barebones, and the removal of pretty much all the RPG aspects was such a bummer.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite IP, well until NT, I really tried to like NT but it was just so bad.
And now because of that, we're never seeing a new mainline game anymore.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Oooof, I remember afternoons and evenings of playing this at home and whiling away the time. I never did manage to unlock playable Chaos.

OP
OP
Macca

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Such a great game, and the opening with the FF Numbers being counted down blew my mind.

Sadly though this will always be the game that made me start hating lighting despite loving her in XIII.

Still absolutely fantastic product.

As someone who wasn't very fond of Lightning even in FF13. The way Square was pushing the character a bunch during the years after FF13 kinda annoyed me haha. But like you say still a fantastic product.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Fuck NT for killing Dissidia.

FF is my favorite franchise and Dissidia 012 is my favorite game in the franchise. So much fanservice, references, content

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lightning in 012 was essentially early FFXIII chapter asshole Lightning. Which was great.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How could they mess up Dissidia NT after this like they did? :(

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who wasn't very fond of Lightning even in FF13. The way Square was pushing the character a bunch during the years after FF13 kinda annoyed me haha. But like you say still a fantastic product.
This was the problem.

Dissidia didn't let Cloud, Squall, or Tidus be the lead despite being far more popular than WoL.

FF XI didn't have a lead character because it was one of the newest games in the series. Hell XII only had a secret unlockable side character that was neither the lead nor the big bad.

It was a legacy celebration and it felt like that because they had the Future FF leads support WoL and the Villians Garland/Chaos. Combine that with the music and art style being based on Amano's art and it truly felt like a celebration.

O12 Has Lightning suddenly thrust in the lead fighting both Garland/Sephiroth in the opening and even the story felt like she took the lead from WoL. Ive never felt like a character suddenly felt forced in a game like I did with Lighting in 012.

Again I say this as someone who loved her (and Fang) in XIII.

OP
OP
Macca

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
This was the problem.

Dissidia didn't let Cloud, Squall, or Tidus be the lead despite being far more popular than WoL.

FF XI didn't have a lead character because it was one of the newest games in the series. Hell XII only had a secret unlockable side character that was neither the lead nor the big bad.

It was a legacy celebration and it felt like that because they had the Future FF leads support WoL and the Villians Garland/Chaos. Combine that with the music and art style being based on Amano's art and it truly felt like a celebration.

O12 Has Lightning suddenly thrust in the lead fighting both Garland/Sephiroth in the opening and even the story felt like she took the lead from WoL. Ive never felt like a character suddenly felt forced in a game like I did with Lighting in 012.

Again I say this as someone who loved her (and Fang) in XIII.

I agree with your points here.