• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, all those WARRIORS titles and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate seems safe. There's still hope!

Also, hats off to Sony for making this as vague as can be. I know they're begrudgingly adding BC but come on.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand acting like "Bootable" games won't be able to be played, it just means they don't currently have perfect compatibility but it could be something as simple as text being messed up, shadows rendering incorrectly, or a million other little things that wouldn't prevent the game from being fully playable. I'd be willing to put money on neither next-gen console having perfect 100% BC.

The level of console wars going on right now in this forum is getting tiresome.
I agree that the Bootable games has been found to be: " When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent " - which is a far cry from unplayable as some are making out.

However it would also be disengenious to say that everyone is posting in bad faith. Part of the issue is the lack of clarity around this topic - everything is being learned by third party information or through trawling through API. Sony obviously had this list of games that were not up to their standard of being compatabile - they marked them in their own store as such. I question why they have not listed these titles with their previous post on Incompatabile titles, espeically as it may influence a small number of people seeing that some of their games may not be running at their best on the new console from trading in or selling their PS4 and then being left with an inferior version when they could have held on to their PS4 thinking that the only issue was with the incompatible titles.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but do you think they added it because they wanted to (and they just somehow forgot for the PS4) or because their competition was killing in that department?
You do understand that Emulating the PS3 at a hardware level is very difficult, right?

It's not like they were like "FUCK THE PS3" when the PS4 came out. Hell, their lives would be substantially easier if they could have, since PSNow has/had racks of PS3s so people can play PS3 games on PSNow since they couldn't emulate it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
You do understand that Emulating the PS3 at a hardware level is very difficult, right?

It's not like they were like "FUCK THE PS3" when the PS4 came out. Hell, their lives would be substantially easier if they could have, since PSNow has/had racks of PS3s so people can play PS3 games on PSNow since they couldn't emulate it.

Sure, neither did the Xbox. But they spent who knows how long and how much to get to software emulation eventually, and that was with having to clean up after Don Mattrick.

If we're about to say that Sony cares about BC as much as MS nowadays, I don't know what to think lol.

All I know is that I'd bet good money that PS5 wouldn't have BC at all if MS didn't either.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I agree that the Bootable games has been found to be: " When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent " - which is a far cry from unplayable as some are making out.

However it would also be disengenious to say that everyone is posting in bad faith. Part of the issue is the lack of clarity around this topic - everything is being learned by third party information or through trawling through API. Sony obviously had this list of games that were not up to their standard of being compatabile - they marked them in their own store as such. I question why they have not listed these titles with their previous post on Incompatabile titles, espeically as it may influence a small number of people seeing that some of their games may not be running at their best on the new console from trading in or selling their PS4 and then being left with an inferior version when they could have held on to their PS4 thinking that the only issue was with the incompatible titles.
They likely believe most or all the issues could be fixed with a firmware update, but as you yourself mention in the first part of your post but conveniently ignore in the second part they give clear indication on the store page of each title that it may experience issues, which is really all that needs to be said.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They likely believe most or all the issues could be fixed with a firmware update, but as you yourself mention in the first part of your post but conveniently ignore in the second part they give clear indication on the store page of each title that it may experience issues, which is really all that needs to be said.
Mate - that is a standard disclaimer on ALL titles store pages. That includes the titles that Sony has deemed "Compatible" and those that it has deemed "Bootable". The issue is that it is obvious that with the Bootable descriptor, they obviously believe that those specific titles will have identifiable issues more so than those with the "compatible" descriptor. Not disclosing that list of games that are more likely to encounter issues is just silly - just inform the consumer that at launch these particular games may experience more issues compared to other BC games, but we are working on trying to resolve these issues over time.

All that needed to be said tbh.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mate - that is a standard disclaimer on ALL titles store pages. That includes the titles that Sony has deemed "Compatible" and those that it has deemed "Bootable". The issue is that it is obvious that with the Bootable descriptor, they obviously believe that those specific titles will have identifiable issues more so than those with the "compatible" descriptor. Not disclosing that list of games that are more likely to encounter issues is just silly - just inform the consumer that at launch these particular games may experience more issues compared to other BC games, but we are working on trying to resolve these issues over time.

All that needed to be said tbh.
It's not the same wording on both types, someone earlier in the thread pointed out that only the "Bootable" games mention there may be issues in the game while the "Compatible" ones just say it may require a system update. There's very clearly different wording (assuming that poster was correct).

Also, if they're still working and have a FW update scheduled before release, they'd want to wait for that before releasing a final list. People love jumping the gun and assuming that how things are right this second are how they'll stay, but that's frequently not the case. As far as I know MS doesn't have a list either for the XSX because they're likely waiting as well.

Last edited:

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but do you think they added it because they wanted to (and they just somehow forgot for the PS4) or because their competition was killing in that department?
Its true. Everything i know about coding leads me to believe this is just an extra weekends worth of work l. Maybe less if I'm stocked up on Mountain Dew and Doritos.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the same wording on both types, someone earlier in the thread pointed out that only the "Bootable" games mention there may be issues in the game while the "Compatible" ones just say it may require a system update. There's very clearly different wording (assuming that poster was correct).
That poster was correct (and no need to assume, the various disclaimers are on each game's listing on the PlayStation Store already).

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I think they added it because they knew they could make bank selling PS4 games to PS5 owners on the PS Store for the next five years plus.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Its true. Everything i know about coding leads me to believe this is just an extra weekends worth of work l. Maybe less if I'm stocked up on Mountain Dew and Doritos.

Obviously it's work, but it CAN be done. Look at RPCS3. Do we seriously believe that Sony-quality engineers and budget could not have made a software-based emulator of the PS3?

I think they added it because they knew they could make bank selling PS4 games to PS5 owners on the PS Store for the next five years plus.

That's likely. I go back and forth because now it's going to be tough selling remasters of PS4 games for both 1st and 3rd party. I still believe though that they might not have bothered with BC had MS never touched it either.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Hope the Digital Foundry BC video for the PS5 isn't too far off. Is there any info on when the embargo is up?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
tKAGtYL.png

RIP in peace.

Huh? What happened to this where it was listed as compatible?

www.resetera.com

As fully expected, PT can't be downloaded onto PS5. System transfer compatibility unconfirmed. [UPDATE: THERE IS HOPE. SEE THREADMARKS.]

Just to put this not compatible theory to rest, the new https://library.playstation.com/ web site has an API which it is accessing to determine the backwards compatibility state of a game. You can see the requests it makes if you have the developer panel open in your browser. Anyway if you put...

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Also, if they're still working and have a FW update scheduled before release, they'd want to wait for that before releasing a final list. People love jumping the gun and assuming that how things are right this second are how they'll stay, but that's frequently not the case. As far as I know MS doesn't have a list either for the XSX because they're likely waiting as well.
Exactly my point - however the only way to know at this stage is by individually searching the said title on the store and then get the message. Why not simply provide a list and say - this is where it is currently, were hoping to work on it. No one is going to indivudally search each game they own into the store to see if it is currently compatible or bootable and it is completley unreasonable to do so.

It would have been better for Sony to come out and say this from the jump rather than this happening though no? If they had simply come out and said these titles are incompatable, these titles currently work and are bootable but are not 100% and the rest we expect to be compatible, would have been better then ResetEra users having to comb API's and try and find what titles are affected and what Bootable even means?

To be honest if your of the opinon that this was the best way for consumers to find out, thats fine, i just simply disagree. I am not implying like some that Sony has deceived people or lied to consumers but i do think they have done consumers a disservice by not making this known and they have let this be found out by users and now have to try and control the narrative before people try and spin it out of control. This is not a big thing, it is just something that they seemed to have known about and it would have been good to include when they listed their incompatible games a couple of weeks ago.

Also MS have confirmed for months that is currently playable on X1 is playable on Series X|S, minus games requiring Kinect.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly my point - however the only way to know at this stage is by individually searching the said title on the store and then get the message. Why not simply provide a list and say - this is where it is currently, were hoping to work on it. No one is going to indivudally search each game they own into the store to see if it is currently compatible or bootable and it is completley unreasonable to do so.

It would have been better for Sony to come out and say this from the jump rather than this happening though no? If they had simply come out and said these titles are incompatable, these titles currently work and are bootable but are not 100% and the rest we expect to be compatible, would have been better then ResetEra users having to comb API's and try and find what titles are affected and what Bootable even means?

To be honest if your of the opinon that this was the best way for consumers to find out, thats fine, i just simply disagree. I am not implying like some that Sony has deceived people or lied to consumers but i do think they have done consumers a disservice by not making this known and they have let this be found out by users and now have to try and control the narrative before people try and spin it out of control. This is not a big thing, it is just something that they seemed to have known about and it would have been good to include when they listed their incompatible games a couple of weeks ago.

Also MS have confirmed for months that is currently playable on X1 is playable on Series X|S, minus games requiring Kinect.
I agree I hope they put out a list, I just don't agree they need to do it this early when they are still likely working on finishing up the release day FW.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

That doesn't explain the PS2 or even the PS1... when they had an emulator that worked perfectly fine on the PSP and PS3.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing "bootable" runs on PS4 legacy mode and "compatible" runs on PS4 Pro legacy mode or above.

From the threadmark:

The PS Store also seems to offer some insight on the differences.

A bootable games store page says:
"When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent. To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details."

A compatible games store page says:
To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details.

I agree I hope they put out a list, I just don't agree they need to do it this early when they are still likely working on finishing up the release day FW.
I mean sure - i guess the list could change slightly in the next 12 days. But i mean 12 days from launch, i would hardly say putting out a list is an unreasonable ask - whatever they have currently ID'ed as bootable on the web store is likely going to be in a very similar state come 12 days. I see maybe a few titles changing before launch but otherwise it will likely be after launch - and thats fine. Like seriously - thats fine - just let people know. Really would suck if i was playing through one of these titles on my PS4 and then trade it in or sell it towards my PS5 purchase and then put it in my PS5 and it is unstable, possibly just shadows or a feature not working, possibly crashing at certain points - we don't know because we have not been told.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't explain the PS2 or even the PS1... when they had an emulator that worked perfectly fine on the PSP and PS3.
Oh, no, I'd bet that's likely from a desire to sell digital versions/remakes like Dark Cloud 2/Wild Arms/etc. When those didn't sell they stopped dealing with it.

I'm just specifically calling out the PS4 didn't ignore PS3 BC due to some sort of malice seeing as the previous 2 consoles both had BC. It was just too expensive to include PS3 hardware in the box, and too difficult to effectively emulate it via software.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Go figure, the one Assassin's Creed game in my backlog won't work on PS5

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so the PS2 games that were released on PS4 work? I for some reason thought even those wouldn't be compatible even though they are running as PS4 code at the end of the day

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Well, it's expected that there are more issues than we knew about. The "only ten" incompatible games was too good, of course. People need to realise we can only really know after the systems are out.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I'll definitely try AC Syndicate when I get my PS5. I'd consider playing on Xbox instead if Ubi would stop making certain DLC exclusive to anything but Xbox.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I don't understand acting like "Bootable" games won't be able to be played, it just means they don't currently have perfect compatibility but it could be something as simple as text being messed up, shadows rendering incorrectly, or a million other little things that wouldn't prevent the game from being fully playable. I'd be willing to put money on neither next-gen console having perfect 100% BC.

The level of console wars going on right now in this forum is getting tiresome.
You mentioned being tired of console wars after posting an opinion with no facts to back it up that BC on the competing console won't work perfectly?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
the irony of ppl saying how ps4 bc on the ps5 is 'hardware baked in' and yet this is what we got.

it makes limiting the ps5 to 36CU kinda pointless now.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You mentioned being tired of console wars after posting an opinion with no facts to back it up that BC on the competing console won't work perfectly?
Microsoft's own words months ago stressed 99% compatibility just like Sony. In addition, no BC is ever perfect even with 100% hardware BC, as seen on the PS2, PS3, etc. It's not console wars, it's using MS's words and past precedent to come to a conclusion.

Edit: Microsoft initially said every Xbox 1 title would work, then walked it back to say thousands would work, and more recently Phil said Kinect titles for sure won't work. My whole point was that if indeed not every title will work, MS has also not yet shared which ones won't and it's likely because both are still validating/testing/improving. If there's more recent info I'm happy to be proven wrong, MS should definitely be lauded for their BC program.

Last edited:

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Prey Mooncrash yet and I sold my PS4 Pro already. Hopefully it will play fine. The only other one on that list I really care about is Arkham City, but I've played that so many times already.

Nathaniel_Wu

Apr 6, 2018
We definitely need some clarification on what differs "bootable" from "compatible", my guess is that the game will 100% break at some point

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Microsoft's own words months ago stressed 99% compatibility just like Sony. In addition, no BC is ever perfect even with 100% hardware BC, as seen on the PS2, PS3, etc. It's not console wars, it's using MS's words and past precedent to come to a conclusion.

Edit: Microsoft initially said every Xbox 1 title would work, then walked it back to say thousands would work, and more recently Phil said Kinect titles for sure won't work. My whole point was that if indeed not every title will work, MS has also not yet shared which ones won't and it's likely because both are still validating/testing/improving. If there's more recent info I'm happy to be proven wrong, MS should definitely be lauded for their BC program.

Kinect we already knew. MS isn't just claiming everything works but is better than One native.

Nov 19, 2017
We definitely need some clarification on what differs "bootable" from "compatible", my guess is that the game will 100% break at some point
I think it will likely be leaderboards, multiplayer and network stuff reliant on PS4 that won't work. Maybe it's even a temporary descriptor for some games that they haven't extensively tested but know at least the first hour runs fine. Seems hard to believe the 'bootable' games are that broken and weren't flagged as not compatible.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony reaches out to publishers to try and encourage updates for as many bootable games to get into the compatible section

and I hope they update as many of their own 'bootable' games in the same way

OP
OP
andshrew

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? What happened to this where it was listed as compatible?

www.resetera.com

As fully expected, PT can't be downloaded onto PS5. System transfer compatibility unconfirmed. [UPDATE: THERE IS HOPE. SEE THREADMARKS.]

Just to put this not compatible theory to rest, the new https://library.playstation.com/ web site has an API which it is accessing to determine the backwards compatibility state of a game. You can see the requests it makes if you have the developer panel open in your browser. Anyway if you put...

Yes, P.T was listed as compatible on this last week and now is not. But Sony also updated their BC page to state that "this list is subject to change and excludes demos, media, and non-game applications" and P.T is a demo...

PS5 BC compatibility statistics (99%)
OP
OP
andshrew

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Just to reassure people of the 99% compatibility that Sony stated.

Ignoring the "N/A" titles from this list as these are alphas, betas, public dev test builds, and non-game apps (ie. titles you would not expect to be tested to work on PS5, and for which there is no information published on this API at this moment)

Compatible titles: 12721 (96%)
Bootable titles: 388 (3%)
Not Compatible titles: 144 (1%)

As a reminder, the current understanding of the difference between Compatible and Bootable (TL;DR bootable games may experience errors when run on PS5):
Threadmark - PS Store differences between bootable and compatible

The reason the number of not compatible titles here is higher than Sony's list is due to this list including the unique title ids per game (different regions have different ids for the same game, for example), and non-game apps and some old beta titles which are not expected to be compatible.