• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I love FPS/RPG hybrids so stuff like Prey, Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: MD. And some classic series revivals/reworkings like Sonic Mania, Monster Boy, and Breath of the Wild.

I will have to check out some videos but at first sight BotW is the only one that really appeals to me. I made a thread last year asking about the best games of this decade and I have no interest for most of the suggestions so I feel out of touch.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will have to check out some video but at first sight BotW is the only one that really appeals to me. I made a thread last year asking about the best games of this decade and I have no interest for most of the suggestions so I feel out of touch.
If you like classic Zelda and Metroid, then you will probably like Monster Boy as well. It's a modern take on the Wonder Boy series but its puzzle design is more Zelda-ish than the old games.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
The internet has made everything post-2006 feel the same and like it's all been part of a 5 year period.

And the only reason the early aughts feels distinct was because it was all this:

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
If you like classic Zelda and Metroid, then you will probably like Monster Boy as well. It's a modern take on the Wonder Boy series but its puzzle design is more Zelda-ish than the old games.

I just wish to understand why all the recent games that are considered classics nowadays don't appeal to me in the slightest. I already kind of know though.

OP
OP
Mar 4, 2018
I've had to unfollow some instagram pages because they either seem to be pandering to, or are run by Gen Z. Are we becoming the old man yells at cloud?

But I also remember growing up our generation had comments like "I hate the music of my generation that is why I still listen to classic rock!" And I have been seeing those comments like "I hate my generations music, I still listen to (insert early-mid 2000's artist)"
Pfft, nostalgia for early-mid 00s songs is so 2014. Now, as I've shown in my posts, people now praise LATE 00s-early 10s music. Lol

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
But nah though

The 90s had a very specific aesthetic compared to the early 2000s. The 90s were "can't wait for the future". The 2000s were "we are from the future".

Idk. I also feel bad for kids being nostalgic for things that aren't from that long ago. Like you aren't supposed to get nostalgic for things from 6 years ago.
Eh. I personally see a marked difference between the things you're nostalgic for as a child and what you were nostalgic for when you were a teen.

As a teen, I remembered being somewhat nostalgic for Digimon since I was a small kid when I'd watched it compared to when I was a teen.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
As a 33 year old this year (in about one week) it's kind of weird watching the rest of my generation turning into the old people that yell at clouds in real time. I figured I'd have at least another decade or so before then.

OP
OP
Mar 4, 2018
As a 33 year old this year (in about one week) it's kind of weird watching the rest of my generation turning into the old people that yell at clouds in real time. I figured I'd have at least another decade or so before then.
We're just going through the passage time like all previous generations. Like it feels weird now seeing Zoomers say 2008-2014 was the "golden age of pop music". I mean that music like Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Kesha, etc. used to be extremely hated, lol.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're just going through the passage time like all previous generations. Like it feels weird now seeing Zoomers say 2008-2014 was the "golden age of pop music". I mean that music like Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Kesha, etc. used to be extremely hated, lol.
To be fair, it's mostly because pop music today is literally awful. There's a reason Pop Era is mostly dead. I'm not even a Zoomer, but I am on the edge of the two generations.

OP
OP
Mar 4, 2018
To be fair, it's mostly because pop music today is literally awful. There's a reason Pop Era is mostly dead. I'm not even a Zoomer, but I am on the edge of the two generations.
Well I feel like this is an endless cycle because people were also saying the 2008-2014 stuff was also awful when it was new, now they say it's good, partially because of nostalgia. Years from now people will say 2019 pop was good.

OP
OP
Mar 4, 2018
Damn, that was fast

Is this how 80s kids felt when we got all nostalgic for Hey Arnold and Boy Meets World?
Yeah lol. On this article from 2009, it's talking about premature Millennial (then called Gen Y) nostalgia, which kinda mirrors the Gen Z nostalgia of 2019. And in the comments older readers were like "Oh god, these kids are nostalgic for Sum-41 and Britney Spears? Ugh such cancer", similar to how we feel now about Gen Z's nostalgia, lol. It's a mirroring, endless cycle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/fashion/23nostalgia.html

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I was teaching 2nd graders yesterday, they were talking about League of Legends and Fortnite and came to the conclusion that LoL is for old people.

Oct 25, 2017
Pop ERA died (or moved to Discord) because ERA kept banning people for general sassiness (which is part of the Pop-community culture, but that goes over the mods' heads).

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I think people who say "you can't be nostalgic for X because of Y reason" fundamentally misunderstand nostalgia. It's usually not just for the thing. It's often for the circumstances around the thing.

I get nostalgic for Pokémon Red not because it's a great game that's stood the rest of time. But because I remember going to Toys R Us the day it came out, and watching the employee having to crack open the shopping box because nobody knew what Pokémon was. I remember playing outside in the front yard on cool, crisp October afternoons. I remember trading Pokémon back and forth with my brother and sister to complete our Pokédex.

It's not just the game.

I did several video essays about nostalgia and the stories around particular video games. In this one, I didn't even play the game. But again, that's not necessarily how nostalgia works. The context is arguably more important than the actual thing.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Oh man. I'm almost 40, and this has been so fucking weird to watch happen. I don't really get it much with my close friends who all are gamers, love sci-fi, etc. But man, it's all around me.

Recently, my sister was complaining about seeing children on the school bus and all of them were on their phones, adding a comment about how when we were kids, we'd all be laughing and talking and having fun. Yeah, no. She and I hated the bus. I'd have paid good money for the bullies that rode it to have been glued to a phone. It's like she just invented this fictional past out of thin air because "the kids these days."

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Does anyone remember playing Runescape and Club Penguin in school computers while then coming home to watch Raven,Tracy Beaker,50/50,Basil Brush and Raven on CBBC. Those were those were the days...says the 21 year old

OP
OP
Mar 4, 2018
This. 80's nostalgia is not only still popular, but more popular than ever. Seems unlikely that 90's nostalgia has hit its stride quite yet.
I'm talking about on the internet. Nostalgia moves faster on the internet. By 2010, everyone on the Internet was talking about being a "90s kid" constantly, but irl in 2019, there's only a few 90s nostalgia movies so far.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't watch High School Musical the Friday night it premiered, get the fuck off my internet and back to your crosswords and apple sauce. WE own the internet now, and we won't have our fill until 2029.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I have some late teen nostalgia for this period of my life
Hell I sometimes get nostalgia from months ago.

time is weird and so are feelings
Yeah, I relate to a lot of this stuff since it was there when I was still in high school but about to graduate. I have 3 more years until I feel old and ready to die.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Is it weird I feel bad for those being the things they have nostalgia for?
Besides Minecraft there's just no charm or heart to the media.
My youngest brother falls into this age group. I signed in to my steam on his computer and gave him Minecraft and I'd still catch him playing roblox looking games. Got him into playing terraria with me for a bit but that was hard. He thought pixel games looked old but enjoyed 3D gobbledygook. I never could understand.

Yeah it is kinda of weird.

There's literally nothing to feel bad about.

The generation before you thinks the same about the stuff you feel nostalgia about. And the younger generation absolutely feels the heart and the charm of the stuff they are or were into.

You're not supposed to understand.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Its 2013, you finish work at 5:30, walk to the train, sit on it for and hour, then your wife picks you up,
you get to see your daughter for about 20 mins at dinner before she goes to bed at 7.

Feeling older by the day lol

SpongeCab

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
User Banned (1 week): Spamming across multiple threads, and bumping old threads; Thread-making privileges revoked.
Everyone will think of their childhood as a golden age

Status
Not open for further replies.