• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Millennials are the economic majority at the moment which means companies have a vested interest in mining their nostalgia over all others atm. Gen Z ain't there quite yet.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Millennials are the economic majority at the moment which means companies have a vested interest in mining their nostalgia over all others atm. Gen Z ain't there quite yet.
My fashion senses are more late 2000s because that's when I started to dress myself, but I literally need clothing companies and the fashion world to bring back mid 90s sweaters in vogue. That shit looked mad comfy, and I love the look. And the baggy button down. Fuck it, just give me a 90s Friends Fashion catalogue and I'd buy all that shit. Especially the bowling shirts.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have this fear that one day I will wake up and find they started playing Nirvana on the Classic Dad Rock channels.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Most older people talk about how kids todayhave it easier, but im convinced my childhood was way more rad than what these grew up with.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Next Marvel movie is going for 2000-2010 nostalgia
Get that Nickelback soundtrack ready

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Bwahaha. I can't wait to inform my son that he's an old man now.

Wait... Now that I think about it that should officially make me an old fuck. Oh yeah! Stay the fuck out my lane. Old fuck coming through.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, we can not officially move on from 90's nostalgia until we get the Disney Gargoyles reboot... and then the second reboot with Greg Weisman that is actually good.

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
90s kids actually saw the birth of the internet and it was really an historic event. How it started to change culture, how emails were becoming the norm, etc. 90s was also the golden decade of gaming.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah CN Real!
250px-Destroy_Build_Destroy.jpg

And Tom 4.0!
latest

And Pokemon 4kids's death!

What a terrible generation

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jepp.

I noticed it first when the Minecraft Nostalgia kicked in everywhere. I really got surprised to see the love for it when it was so terribly hated before.

But the moment that "I'm getting old" feeling kicked in for real when I visited a early 2000's party last weekend. It was held at a location that usually does 70's, 80's and 90's stuff, so that was their first attempt at doing something for the 2000's kids.

That 90's nostalgia is definitely over.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
90s kids actually saw the birth of the internet and it was really an historic event. How it started to change culture, how emails were becoming the norm, etc. 90s was also the golden decade of gaming.

How the quirky forums with politically incorrect jokes became recruiting grounds for literal nazis resulting in a rise of white supremacy terrorism.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Nah maybe on /r/starter packs, but millennials are just starting get a foothold in the film and TV industry. They'll run the show for a while once that happens

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we are there quite yet. Early and mid 00s are phasing in now. Stuff like Danny Phantom, Avatar, Drake & Josh, Grim Adventures, Kids Next Door, etc.

In fact Nickelodeon just recently rebranded NickSplat to NickRewind and expanded their focus to cover 00-08 now. I mean they started their nostalgia brand 8 years ago now in July 2011.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I don't think nostalgia for 2010+ is "really" a thing culturally yet. It probably seems like it online, because people of that age are much more vocal and visible in the public space than my generation (1990) was at their age (which would still be before social media, in relation to the date of birth).
People born between the mid 90s and early 2000s are probably going to be the main target audience for pop-cultural stuff for some time still.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, what's more 90s nostalgia than a motherfucking Aladdin and Lion King remake the same year + a Pikachu movie?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Imagine being nostalgic for something at 18 lol.

Eh I guess that's when it starts, you're becoming an adult and long to just be a kid again .

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
How dare they! No one should be nostalgic for things I didn't grow up with! If kids today were smart, they would see my childhood stuff was the best stuff!

/s

Mar 19, 2019
Imagine being nostalgic for something at 18 lol.

Not to call r/gatekeeping or anything, but as soon as you're old enough to have a memory of something you can't have again, you are entitled to feel nostalgia.

Edit: Just backread and, whew, this thread is just a "muh gen better" circlejerk. Gonna hafta back out of this one.

Oct 25, 2017
we are still steady in the early 2000s phase with spongebob, shrek and prequels memes

a gta san andreas meme is the biggest thing going right now
Early 00s got mostly skipped over because a lot of mass media sucked during that time. It wasn't until web 2.0 were things started to turn around because of the word of mouth effect made people more selective of films and movie they consumed.

Also San Andreas came out in 2004 but had a tons of ports and re-releases and insane legs in terms of sales. Tons of people picked up and played that game for years after it came out. It's really more mid-late 00s nostalgia far more than early 00s.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I'm fine with not having my nostalgia mined and sold back to me anymore.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I did this with students in our course about history politics. Showed them some iconic moments of my country's and global history and it's super interesting to see the difference between memory and history. Me being born in the late 1980s had a totally different perception of 9/11 obviously. We were also talking a lot about childhood memories that then collectively form some of the identity that we end up calling generation #whateverletter.

It's good to see them get 'old' though! Finally it's not us anymore. Soon enough they'll be shaking their heads at kids, too :D

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I was born in 1990, and my sister was born in 1995, but it feels like so much more the difference in technology and the world that the two of us grew up in is so different even though it's such a small age Gap

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This thread feels like it's specifically looking at the r/starterpacks subreddit (though it also applies to internet culture more broadly) and yeah it annoys me and makes me feel old.

It feels like late high school-college-aged kids (so like 16-23 year olds) generally run internet culture and people old enough to remember the 90s have effectively aged out of that. Luckily the forums I use are still generally strongholds for olds which helps, but it's jarring going to Reddit and seeing that the majority of the people there are younger than me, when it felt like there was a good decade where I was younger than almost everyone on the internet.

I actually don't find many young people are using bulletins boards and forums. I love them but I don't see many newcomers in our communities. Reddit is different but I feel everything takes place on social media rather than 'thematic' forums.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
This thread feels like it's specifically looking at the r/starterpacks subreddit (though it also applies to internet culture more broadly) and yeah it annoys me and makes me feel old.

It feels like late high school-college-aged kids (so like 16-23 year olds) generally run internet culture and people old enough to remember the 90s have effectively aged out of that. Luckily the forums I use are still generally strongholds for olds which helps, but it's jarring going to Reddit and seeing that the majority of the people there are younger than me, when it felt like there was a good decade where I was younger than almost everyone on the internet.

Moot started up 4chan when he was 13 let's not forget!

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else just take comfort in the fact that we are really all the same? A zoomer coming home from school and playing BO2 while watching icarly is really no different from my coming home from school and playing sonic the hedgehod while watching ren and stimpy

Status
Not open for further replies.