• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Gamasutra article by Katherine Cross: In praise of Tacoma's character Sareh Hasmadi [September 6, 2017]
[...] But it therefore seems as good a time as any to analyze a videogame character who, with the effortlessness of zero-G drift, rises above all this to show us how it's done. Tacoma's Sareh Hasmadi, the resident doctor aboard the eponymous space station, cut me quite deeply. As I played through the game a second time to hoover up the remaining achievements, the emotional aftershocks from my inaugural run came. You see, after having sat with my feelings from my initial play through, it dawned on me that Dr. Hasmadi was largely their author. For in a game peopled by rich characters whose failings and struggles were central to the story, Sareh Hasmadi stood out as exceptionally nuanced, and human, in a medium where the latter is too often a rare achievement--especially where non-white women are concerned. [...]

Era Thread by Hey Please: LTTP : TACOMA Temporal Voyeurism [July 13, 2019]
[...] As a final note, in a time where diversity can often be seen as "political" when it comes to Playable Character (and NO, including custom character creator does not solve the core issue) with non-white women being almost non-existent in story driven games, TACOMA feels like a breath of fresh air. The only other games I can name from memory that feature the same are Beyond Good & Evil, Remember Me, ACIII: Liberation, AC: Chronicles China and Portal 1 & 2. I do not even know whether it accounts for a drop in an ocean of named protagonists in gaming. [Incidental Note: The character mentioned by Katherine Cross above -- Sareh Hasmadi -- is not the protagonist/player character. The player character is Amitjyoti "Amy" Ferrier.]

From Fullbright co-founder Steve Gaynor:
Steve Gaynor: "[...] We did research on a few different vectors. We researched accounts of living in orbit on the ISS, and of living in extremely remote facilities such as research bases in Antarctica, to understand the dynamics and details of people confined to these kinds of places for long periods of time. We read books such as An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by the astronaut Chris Hadfield, and various blogs and accounts by other astronauts and researchers. We also went back to a number of AI-themed science fiction novels and films, such as 2001, Moon, Alien, and even classic texts like Asimov's I, Robot for inspiration and reference points [...]"
"[...] As far as talking to individuals, probably the most direct interview research we did was with people in our circles who grew up in the Muslim faith. We wanted to get our depiction of Sareh right, so we talked to folks we knew when conceiving her character, and then had them play through a build of the game once her scenes were built and her bunk set up to see if we'd missed anything. Luckily it seems that with their help we were able to represent Sareh in an authentic way! [...]"

Other articles:
Daily Emerald (University of Oregon): "[...] Identity and authenticity are central to Fullbright's games, so the team goes to great lengths to ensure that everything is properly represented. Gone Home, for example, deals with LGBT themes and riot grrrl music culture, so interviews were conducted with people who could help the team craft true-to-life stories and characters within those frameworks.

"For instance, with Sareh [Hasmadi] in Tacoma, she's a Muslim character," Gaynor said, referring to the group's second game. "That is outside the personal lived experience of people on our dev team." A Muslim friend of the team showed Fullbright the items inside her parent's home: tapestries bearing passages from the Quran and plaques with engraved scriptures. In the final game, a directly recreated version of one of the plaques in that friend's house can be found.

"That particular plaque was in Sareh's room. We had a playtester who played it who was like, 'It was cool seeing that plaque, but you put it on the middle shelf of her bookshelf. Anything like that, with a passage from the Quran, should be on the highest shelf," Gaynor said. That attention to cultural and personal detail resulted in a duology of games that stand as some of the most accurate and loving representations of marginalized groups within the industry today. It also helped bring the conversation of representation in games to the mainstream. [...]

Carolyn Petit at Feminist Frequency: "[...] Tacoma features a black woman, a Muslim woman, and a queer Asian man, among others, and the humanity of every character is incidental, fully assumed and fully granted by each of the others; the game is full of conflict but none of that conflict is rooted in the specifics of anyone's gender, race, or sexuality. [...]"

Holly Green at Paste Magazine: "[...] Tacoma is a great game, intriguing and thoughtful all at once. I loved every heartbreaking minute. Among its more distinctive features is its diversity, offering up a cast of characters that are widely varied in their racial, religious and sexual identities. Nat and Bert, a married lesbian couple who both found work aboard the orbital unit central to the events of Tacoma, are an example of the game's commitment to offering a broad range of perspectives. I cite them specifically because it's due to their part in the story that I had a unique experience I've yet to have in a videogame. [...] In general, it's not often you see a casual reference to the sex life of a videogame character meant to denote a level of intimacy, rather than be presented to the player for titillation. [...]

Lewis Gordon at The Nation: "[...] Other independent games from the time incorporated economic disenfranchisement into their narratives. Kentucky Route Zero (2013) focused on the plight of blue-collar workers, while The Stanley Parable tasked players with escaping white-collar drudgery. Four years later, the sci-fi drama Tacoma imagined an Orbital Workers Union, while Night in the Woods presented a postindustrial American town through the eyes of a teenager struggling with depression. [...] Game Workers Unite's emergence in 2018 was the outcome of these long-standing [real-world] grievances. The politics of titles such as such as Cart Life and Tacoma played their part, too, bridging the gap between on-screen alienation and real-life labor while the media wised up to industry exploitation. In 2015, a GDC panel headed by Western University's Johanna Weststar and Marie-Jose Legault detailed increasing support for workplace unions and even an industry-wide video game union. [...]

Abigail Nussbaum at Lawyers, Guns, & Money: "[...] In this installment of A Political History of the Future, our series about how science fiction constructs its political and economic futures, we discuss indie developer Fullbright's most recent game, Tacoma, and how it imagines a corporatized future in space. [...] What there is, however, is a refreshingly human scale of storytelling, which allows the game to explore how people live in the maw of capitalism—nervously, defiantly, sometimes buying into the system, sometimes blissfully unaware of it, and always focused just as much on their own hopes, dreams, and loved ones as they are on the bigger picture. [...]"

Thread by TheMoon: TACOMA |OT| These Ghosts Can't Go Home Again + cats
tacomamainot73uqp.jpg

developer: fullbright
publisher: fullbright
genre: vhs simulator
official game site: tacoma.game
platforms: |||| ps4 |||| xbox one |||| pc/mac/lin ||||
release: |||| may 8th, 2018 (ps4) |||| august 2nd, 2017 (xbox one/pc/mac/lin) ||||
ps4 pro enhanced: yes, 4k toggle
xbox one x enhanced: yes, 4k/30fps or 1080p/60fps toggle
what is new: 2 hours of developer commentary (added to all versions), with checklist menu so you can't miss anything
cats: yes, all the cats
ghosts: maybe this time?
acquire: |||| { -[psn]- } |||| { -[steam]- } |||| { -[itch.io]- } |||| { -[gog]- } |||| { -[humble]- } |||| { -[xbox]- } ||||

[...]

Interviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKmFF033I9E (video version of text summary above)​
https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/steve-gaynor-part-1 Designer Notes interview with Steve Part 1 (general talk)​
https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/steve-gaynor-part-2 Designer Notes interview with Steve Part 2 (covers why they made Tacoma)​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr23iLln8Bo The Reinvention of Tacoma​

Gameplay with devs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCQb13zbUs Kinda Funny plays Tacoma w/ Steve Gaynor​
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165729220 Gamasutra plays Tacoma with level designer Nina Freeman​
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173250292 Let's Intelliplay: Tacoma w/ Steve Gaynor and Nina Freeman!​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YdecRTCTw Giant Bomb plays the game with Steve and Karla Zimonja​

Article Stuff/Criticism:
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...topia-of-tacoma-labor-politics-are-still-hell (critical piece on labor politics in the Tacoma universe)​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxVaX0GqyQ Tacoma: The Little Details (Writing on Games)​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkfMTlDl1A Errant Signal on Tacoma (and Gone Home)​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAyJ866xGLs Let's Study Tacoma (Ian Bryce Jones)​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_rfYXXdOY SOMA vs Tacoma (Noah Caldwell-Gervais)​

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Played this a few years ago. I can recall liking the last twist at the end regarding the player character, but everything up to that point was pretty predicable.

I also remember how it shilled had Elon Musk. I think they had him as president at the time the game took place? Definitely not something that aged very well there.

EDIT: Alright, looked back at the data log in question and I realize that the portrayal wasn't actually positive. Probably misremebered the scene since that was around the time when the Elon Musk circlejerk was everywhere.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thank you for making this thread. Still remains one of the most unique titles (conceptually) I have played to date alongside Portal.

And FWIW, for those interested in the behind the scenes for writing in a non-linear Tacoma:

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Played this a few years ago. I can recall liking the last twist at the end regarding the player character, but everything up to that point was pretty predicable.

I also remember how it shilled Elon Musk. I think they had him as president at the time the game took place? Definitely not something that aged very well there.

Ummm... if I remember the entire plot of Tacoma was how private entities basically created space colonies and company scrip towns where all financial well-being was tied to indenture servitude, so even if Musk was president, I don't think it's lionizing him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schopenhauerian
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making this thread. Still remains one of the most unique titles (conceptually) I have played to date alongside Portal. And FWIW, for those interested in the behind the scenes for writing in a non-linear Tacoma:

Nice, thanks for that link. Folks should definitely check out Hey Please's thread: LTTP : TACOMA Temporal Voyeurism | doį ǝʜɈ ƨi ɈɒʜT | Xbox One X. From that thread:

Really enjoyed it. I liked how it subverted the tired old trope of
super advanced AI is evil and has no regard for human life.
The setting felt very believable. I enjoyed reading about the the brutal version of capitalism that was the Loyalty economy, checking all the crew member's nationalities and what that implied about Earth, etc. I can see
Obsolescence Day
becoming a real thing in the future, hahah.

Very smart writing and terrific acting as others have mentioned. Wish it was a couple of hours longer!
I loved it. It was kind of refreshing to have a story that was almost entirely about the inevitability of discovery rather than relying heavily on a twist (I mean, there is a couple of 'twists' of sorts but it's not really the shock value that is the focus of the story insomuch as it is the lived experiences captured and made explorable).

Also:

Played this a few years ago. I can recall liking the last twist at the end regarding the player character, but everything up to that point was pretty predicable. I also remember how it shilled Elon Musk. I think they had him as president at the time the game took place? Definitely not something that aged very well there.

Ummm... if I remember the entire plot of Tacoma was how private entities basically created space colonies and company script towns where all financial well-being was tied to indenture servitude, so even if Musk was president, I don't think it's lionizing him.

From this interview:

I'm having a great time piecing together the future world you've created. I've noticed, for example, that Elon Musk seems at some point to have become a beloved president of South Africa, and that parts of the U.S. appear to have broken away. Did you create a future that you believe will come to pass, one that you wish would come to pass, or simply one that would be fun for players to experience?

This is speculative fiction. It's about 70 years from the present day, a couple of generations forward. This is a world filled with details that feel like they could be feasible or plausible, even if they're unlikely.​
I think that we certainly aren't trying to be outright predictive and say that this is how it's going to be. And nor is it a utopian view; we're certainly not saying we hope this is what happens. If anything we hope that people will look at it and feel like this is one believable, if unlikely, version of where some things in our current day could be heading.​
As we're learning more and more, reality can change from something that seems really implausible to something that's actually happening pretty quickly these days. Some of the stuff we put into our fiction early on seemed kind of outlandish, but now we're like, I guess anything's possible, so maybe! (Laughs.)​

And from Abigail Nussbaum at Lawyers, Guns, & Money:

...One of the points revealed by these conversations and email exchanges is how strongly the economic system in the game's future is tilted towards corporations. While money still exists in the game's world, it is heavily supplemented, and in some cases superseded, by loyalty points—either "customer loyalty", which locks consumers into purchasing from a single company, or "company loyalty", which discourages employees from moving from one corporate employer to another. The game is very smart in how it introduces this concept—it takes a few conversations for us to realize how commonplace and insidious it is, because most of the characters take it for granted...​

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just played this one last year. It wasn't on the same level for me as Gone Home, but I still loved it and vibed quite a bit with the game's politics.
Agree with the great representation points brought up in the OP, but I'd mention the game also has worthwhile commentary regarding labor politics, especially for the video game medium.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
played through this a few weeks ago

can't believe I waited so long to do so considering Gone Home is one of my favorite games. maybe I was afraid of disappointment since Tacoma did not get as much attention as Fullbright's first game.

nope, they hit it out of the park again. such a special experience.

OP
OP
Schopenhauerian
Oct 27, 2017
Just played this one last year. It wasn't on the same level for me as Gone Home, but I still loved it and vibed quite a bit with the game's politics. Agree with the great representation points brought up in the OP, but I'd mention the game also has worthwhile commentary regarding labor politics, especially for the video game medium.

Yeah, definitely worth noting. I briefly quoted Lewis Gordon writing forThe Nation, in the OP:

Lewis Gordon at The Nation [December 19, 2019]: "[...] Other independent games from the time incorporated economic disenfranchisement into their narratives. Kentucky Route Zero (2013) focused on the plight of blue-collar workers, while The Stanley Parable tasked players with escaping white-collar drudgery. Four years later, the sci-fi drama Tacoma imagined an Orbital Workers Union, while Night in the Woods presented a postindustrial American town through the eyes of a teenager struggling with depression. [...] Game Workers Unite's emergence in 2018 was the outcome of these long-standing [real-world] grievances. The politics of titles such as such as Cart Life and Tacoma played their part, too, bridging the gap between on-screen alienation and real-life labor while the media wised up to industry exploitation. In 2015, a GDC panel headed by Western University's Johanna Weststar and Marie-Jose Legault detailed increasing support for workplace unions and even an industry-wide video game union. [...]"​
Just incidentally (as your point was about TACOMA's commentary on labor politics generally, not the games industry specifically), recently came across this report, from earlier this year:

[...] Another topic returning from last year were issues of crunch and unionization. This year, 4% of [game] developers reported working, on average, over 60 hours per week, and 44% reported working 40 or more. But while average hours didn't err on the extreme, developers were also asked the maximum amount of hours they worked in a single week over the last 12 months. 26% gave amounts over 60 hours; 4% said they had worked between 86 and 90 hours in a single week. [...] Interest in unionization increased slightly over the last 12 months. While 47% of developers agreed the industry should unionize last year, 54% said the same this year. Only 16% said the industry should not unionize. But when asked whether they thought the industry would unionize, only 23% said it would -- slightly up from last year (21%). [...]​

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I recall very little of my time with Tacoma. I think I was interested in the beginning and some of the potential relationships. It was well made, though. Either way, if you haven't played it - free is free. See if it's your thing!

Jul 15, 2020
The story had me until the twist at the end which felt like just when I wanted to know more about all the characters/relationships. Seeing the main character use what looked like sign language (been ages since I practiced) to activate things visually was pretty cool to see. If you are a fan of Gone Home check it out.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Claimed it with the other game last week. I was thinking about starting one, but as usual I just put it off. I shall start Tacoma tonight.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma was a case of one step forward, one step back IMHO. The interactive presentation of narrative content is a massive leap forward from the audiologs and paper scraps that have become so ubiquitous... but there's a huge, glaring disconnect between the player, the character you are playing as, and the actual action of the plot.
The player character is a complete nonentity whose ostensible mission is connected with only the thinnest pretenses to what you actually spend the game doing, and then at the very end they try to pull a "twist" by inventing a whole new backstory and motivation for you after the fact.

Gone Home doesn't have this problem because the player, the character, and the action of the game are all in alignment: you want to figure out what the deal is with this creepy house, the player character wants to know what happened to her family, and the game consists of rummaging through the house figuring out what happened.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the ending and the mystery surrounding the crew.

Diverting from the usual cliche of the whole crew being dead when you get there.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

I also remember how it shilled Elon Musk. I think they had him as president at the time the game took place? Definitely not something that aged very well there.
The game didn't even remotely shill for him. It showed the complete and utter dystopia that corporationism will bring.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
I really liked how it played, the settings and the topics it deals with but the ending was a bit disappointing because it kind of made what I had been playing feel like the intro part of much bigger game (story).

Maybe disappointing is not the right word because I ended up wanting more, I think it just shows how well-written and interesting the settings and the characters of Tacoma are.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm addicted to that guitar scene, I kept replaying it, and now I'm on youtube replaying it over and over while I wiggle my feet. We might not be in space, but we have the internet. I found the original song and a playlist of old tunes like this and mellow jazzy tunes. I wish the person that did it had a full one out so I can put on loop.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Since I got tagged with the old OT link I'll leave this very unique piece if content here:

You should play Tacoma because it is very good.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
A very nice follow up to Gone Home, even if it doesn't hit me as hard emotionally. Who even works at The Fullbright Company now? I know they are working on an unannounced game, but just about everyone from Gone Home and Tacoma has moved on it seems.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I loved playing this last night, I was fully immersed, and it felt like I was on a space station going through a evidence of a crime scene. I'm going to wait until it's night again and revisit. I'm taking my sweet time on it too.

I haven't played the Alien Isolation game, but this makes me want to try other space games that can be immersive.

john titor

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All my friends who played Tacoma said that it's mediocre so I kinda ignored it.

Soma, on the other hand, is a masterpiece... go play it if you haven't tried it yet!!!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Going against the grain here, but I felt it was a fairly weak follow-up to the brilliant Gone Home. It wasn't very engaging to me, and the pay-off didn't do it for me either. These types of narrative experiences are really hit or miss for me, this was okay at best I felt. Some good stuf and definitely worth a playthrough, but it didn't leave any kind of impression.

I loved Gone Home and Edith Finch for example, but Soma and this did nothing for me. Maybe I just really like exploring houses?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Redeemed this yesterday, I might as well check it out. And it's only 2.7 GB!

OP
OP
Schopenhauerian
Oct 27, 2017
played through this a few weeks ago. can't believe I waited so long to do so considering Gone Home is one of my favorite games. maybe I was afraid of disappointment since Tacoma did not get as much attention as Fullbright's first game. nope, they hit it out of the park again. such a special experience.

Nice, glad you decided to play through it! Just to offer some encouragement for folks who are thinking of picking the game up (while it's still free), I'll note that Extra Sauce was clearly a bit skeptical about TACOMA, before actually playing through it. From back in September 2018, in TheMoon's OT:

There is a PSN flash sale for this game right now. Mmm. I loved Gone Home but it seems the reception for Tacoma has been tepid...
It's a better game than Gone Home. There's just no word-of-mouth hype because it's not a surprise anymore, like Gone Home was. The only mistake you can make is not playing Tacoma.

From Abigail Nussbaum at Lawyers, Guns, & Money:
[...] When I started this series, I didn't anticipate writing a lot about games. First, because as I wrote recently, I'm only an occasional gamer, and a lot of the bigger names in the field tend to pass me by because of my indifference to shooting and fighting games. And second, because while games can absolutely be political, and espouse left-wing politics, it's still fairly rare for them to build worlds through which to express those politics that aren't overly broad and obvious.
Take, for example, the gentle mockery with which Quantic Dream's Detroit: Become Human has been greeted just recently. While the game has been praised for its graphics, gameplay, characters, and story, reviewers have also noted the simplicity of its android rights storyline. "What if, in some distant future, we treated white-presenting robots as badly as we currently treat non-white humans?" isn't a particularly challenging brain-teaser, and the game's designers haven't exactly demonstrated a nuanced awareness of their core issues when they, for example, responded to audience complaints by allowing players to re-enslave a sentient robot whom they had previously freed. [...]​
If you've heard of Fullbright, Tacoma's designers, it's probably because of their previous game, Gone Home, which created a tremendous splash when it was published in 2013 (I reviewed it on my blog the year it came out). An example of an emerging category of games known by the semi-disparaging moniker of "walking simulators"—games where the purpose isn't to solve a puzzle or defeat an enemy, but to explore a location, and through that exploration, discover a story that occurred there—Gone Home excelled at using its players' expectations against them. [...] Not only is [Tacoma] a game with a majority-female, majority-POC cast, and not only are most of the romantic relationships on screen queer ones, but the game is openly about labor rights, the capitalist exploitation of workers, and the importance of unions. [...]​
A lot of games use found documents, and particularly recordings, to build their story, but Tacoma's approach to this device is innovative and immersive. When ODIN plays back one of these incidents, he projects 3D outlines of the crewmembers, allowing you to observe them from different angles, or move in and out among them. Sometimes multiple conversations and interactions occur within the span of a single recording. You can choose to replay the recording multiple times to catch each conversation in turn (which is how you can learn that Andrew [...] and [...]) or follow a single character through them all (which is how you can discover that after putting on a brave face for [...], Sareh retreats to a private room to [...]).​
Many reviewers have compared this approach to immersive theater—it's not very surprising to encounter, fairly early in the game, an obvious homage to Punchdrunk's Sleep No More—but Tacoma expands upon it by allowing you to access the characters' AR desktops. Even as they're conversing with each other, you can peek in on the characters' more private email exchanges or messenger conversations, and get a sense of what they're not willing to say out loud. In combination with the more traditional forms of exploration—snooping around the characters' offices and personal quarters—this gives the player a panoramic view of how people in this future live. [...]​

dNbCUk3.png

Some videos from the OT:
Gameplay with devs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCQb13zbUs Kinda Funny plays Tacoma w/ Steve Gaynor
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165729220 Gamasutra plays Tacoma with level designer Nina Freeman
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173250292 Let's Intelliplay: Tacoma w/ Steve Gaynor and Nina Freeman!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YdecRTCTw Giant Bomb plays the game with Steve and Karla Zimonja
Article Stuff/Criticism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxVaX0GqyQ Tacoma: The Little Details (Writing on Games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkfMTlDl1A Errant Signal on Tacoma (and Gone Home)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAyJ866xGLs Let's Study Tacoma (Ian Bryce Jones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_rfYXXdOY SOMA vs Tacoma (Noah Caldwell-Gervais)

Some well-captured notes/images by Hey Please, from their thread (LTTP : TACOMA Temporal Voyeurism):
Pros:
  • Stunning voice acting from all everyone involved that sold me on the lives of the crew

• The protagonist employs American Sign Language (ASL) to execute certain tasks (as seen can be seen in the opening screenshot). I have never witnessed anything like this before.

• A truly diverse caste of characters from gender (the game does not feature any transgender or non-binary persons afaik, however) to ethnicity and race to religion to sexual orientation; not one of them needed a "reason" to exist in the game and the game is better for it especially because…

• Digging around the station, reading all Augmented Reality pop ups and perusing the personal items of the crew, (as someone who does not like to be nosey, it made me uncomfortable at times) the player can unearth key items that provides additional and valuable insight into the motivations and beliefs that shaped their lives.

• Simple yet elegant art style that provides ample sense of atmosphere without excessive creepiness. Some design elements were most likely inspired by 2001 A Space Odyssey.

• The station AI, ODIN gave me vibes of HAL9000 from the way it is voiced and is very well written and integrated.

• The story happens now and all around simultaneously unlike most other games (which do not have rewind function) where the story is delivered in a linear fashion when player goes from one set story point to another. In TACOMA the player can become the big brother for all members of crew for all the times as recorded by the station. It is the ultimate detective's and voyeur's tool.

• The overall story was a breath of fresh air away from the general tropes of power fantasy and survival horror (mostly in AAA space) and the final act took me by complete surprise.

Cons:

• 4K Mode on X demolished the framerate at times (into the teens) and I had to turn it off which does hurt the IQ, especially, texts.

• Due to its short and narrative focused nature, it does not fare well with a long gaps in between sessions (I learned the the hard way for myself).

• As aforementioned, the game is short and absolutely narrative driven. Hence, the replay value rests squarely on whether the player wants to glimpse all possible story moments and smaller stories (within the greater whole) that the experience has to offer.

9924d31183756924.jpg

85370f1183756744.jpg

8db4171183756794.jpg

101efc1274633124.jpg

OP
OP
Schopenhauerian
Oct 27, 2017

nice to see the OT content getting some use again :D
thanks Schopenhauerian and TheMoon for helping shine a light on such a lovely, underappreciated piece of art.

Hope we got some folks to take a closer look :)

On Steve Gaynor and Karla Zimonja (studio co-founders):

A very nice follow up to Gone Home, even if it doesn't hit me as hard emotionally. Who even works at The Fullbright Company now? I know they are working on an unannounced game, but just about everyone from Gone Home and Tacoma has moved on it seems.

Not sure, would be curious as well. Their web site just says: "We're currently working on our next game, in partnership with Annapurna Interactive." And perhaps things have changed a bit since this November 2018 tweet:

Since I do see that Nina Freeman has moved on. "...To development outfits like The Fullbright Company – the studio renowned for exploring the curiosities of the human condition with titles such as Gone Home and Tacoma, where Nina spent years of her career honing her craft before returning to independent development – she's part of the new wave of digital auteurs...." Not sure about co-founder Karla Zimonja, but looks the company has been hiring recently: one / two / three.