• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It does suck when people just spoil things out of nowhere and especially for no actually good reason. If you claim that having to avoid spoilers limits your ability to discuss things in more depth, then you better be actually discussing things in more depth.

Most of the time things get spoiled, on purpose or not, it's basically just "so that thing happens, huh?". There's not any meaningful commentary being added on top of it. Just saying what happens isn't "discussion".

That being said, I find myself caring less and less about spoilers as time goes on, so I'm definitely on the camp that says "spoilerphobes are even more annoying" at the moment.

I also feel like The Last of Us Part II will force us to think about "spoiler culture" and find new standards, at least in places like this forum. Because it's not only in depth discussion, you can't really discuss the thing at all if
the inciting incident of the script is forbidden grounds, or even the game's structure and playable characters.

They're still reveals, and the marketing itself goes to great lengths to hide them, so we should still treat them as spoilers early on, but imagine talking about this series as a whole when, say, they announce a third game, if we can't even discuss these elements of Part II? It's ridiculous, discussion becomes shallow praise or criticism on extremely generic terms.

It's especially baffling when, at the end of the day, it's a pretty standard revenge plot with all of the story beats you'd expect from it if you ever watched or read a revenge story. Not unlike the first game, actually.

Imagine having to spoiler tag today that Ellie is immune. She's immune, the story doesn't even start before that reveal, hell, it doesn't quite start until a little while after it, either. It's the events of the Capitol Building that really puts things in motion, and gives you your first longer term goal that will obviously have emotional repercussions to the main character.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My enjoyment of TLoU2 was massively centred around the reveals. I went in with almost 100% blackout of the plot, had certain aspects been spoilt they wouldn't have had anywhere near the same impact on me.

I really do think the experience would have been many times lesser had I known certain plot points before I played.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I see it on the internet a whole bunch

'Lol I dont care if thats a spoiler... game X is two years old so who cares'

It frustrates me to no end as there is no way everyone is playing every game within 2 years of the release date.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
i judge media as more than a sum of its parts, as a holistic appeal to my subjective analysis and emotion, and having one of these parts revealed verbally, outside of the medium, doesn't affect that

This is why I asked specifically about anything in which the surprise is what it was built around. Wouldn't that explicitly defeat the purpose?

Let's say you're throwing a surprise party for someone. The surprise is crucial to the point. If this person were told prior by someone privy to the surprise, the effect would be lost, and potentially ruined.

In the inverse, let's suppose someone was throwing a surprise party for you. While you may not have any substantial reaction to it were you notified in advance, the planners would probably be unhappy that the surprise had been spoiled.

This is hilarious to be fair. If people dont want spoilers. Don't consume anything and fucking go and imediately watch/play whatever your avoiding. In popular culture these things get out and it's not our problem if people want to discuss it. It's yours for being so anal and also not bothering to go see it.

This shit. This shit right here is what I'm talking about. Arbitrating fucking interest levels.

Jesus H.

DrewM1788

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It feels like it's worse than ever lately. It's gotten to the point I just expect to get spoiled on major games being released. I was doing so good with The Last Of Us Part II until my fifth stream with the game this week. I tried my best to take precautionary measures. I had follower and sub only chat both turned on (something that I hate to do). I blocked dozens of terms in chat including every character's name and any forced misspelling of that name I could think of. I turned off all on screen alerts. Turns out blocked terms won't work on follower names and I forgot to turn off in chat notifications of follows. Two people that must have been working together to spoil the game came in and followed one after the other. They created user names on Twitch that had spoilers built into the name. The two follower names put together spoiled major things about the end of the game. All I could do is ban them and then move on like nothing happened. I try my best not to give trolls any satisfaction. But yea, it sucks.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It costs very little to be mindful of what people are comfortable to discuss or know. And that's in all things, not just plot details.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I asked specifically about anything in which the surprise is what it was built around. Wouldn't that explicitly defeat the purpose?

Let's say you're throwing a surprise party for someone. The surprise is crucial to the point. If this person were told prior by someone privy to the surprise, the effect would be lost, and potentially ruined.

In the inverse, let's suppose someone was throwing a surprise party for you. While you may not have any substantial reaction to it were you notified in advance, the planners would probably be unhappy that the surprise had been spoiled.

I should have been more specific and mentioned media; film, books, games etc. Not any surprise experience like a "knock knock" joke, or a party, or your car engine randomly cutting out. So I don't find those analogous.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
This shit. This shit right here is what I'm talking about. Arbitrating fucking interest levels.

Jesus H.

Yep. Everyone can't binge watch a whole season in a day, and media is released sometimes a week or more later outside US (which isn't the whole world, people). It's just a selfish and lazy attitude to not "be able"* withhold revealing spoilers to others. It's a common courtesy, and you can speak about them perfectly well without revealing too much. Be it atmosphere, filmography, music, gameplay, or what you thought about it in general. None of that requires revealing story details.

EDIT: Correction. damn mobile.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I reeeeally like being condescendingly told that:
1) I actually like getting spoiled but just don't know it.
2) Any pushback against spoilers is a corporate scheme and I'm just a patsy for falling for it.

God forbid someone actually might not like being spoiled on shit.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got spoiled on TLOU2 by reading Laura Bailey's tweet (she did a bad job at censoring some words).

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I mean do you know how arrogant you sound when you say "spoilers aren't real"?
As arrogant as I sound when I say the sky is blue, probably.

I don't understand your anger. I'm not saying everyone should talk about shit willy nilly, with no respect for their fellow human beings. OBVIOUSLY, always be considerate. I'm just saying that a spoiler, as you call it, should not ruin things for you. Just accept it as a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things and move on with your life. No one was hurt. There's virtually unlimited works out there. You're not going to be happy if you let a spoiler upset you everytime it happens.

The guy the op describes is obviously a fuckweed, if that helps you at all.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
While I never spoil things, spoilers really shouldn't ruin your viewing/playing experience unless the media you enjoy is disposable and unworthy of critical discussion.

That marketing for The Last of Us 2 takes spoilers so seriously really shows the limits of this medium's supposed maturation. It wants to be kino but can't help acting like Marvel.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As arrogant as I sound when I say the sky is blue, probably.

I don't understand your anger. I'm not saying everyone should talk about shit willy nilly, with no respect for their fellow human beings. OBVIOUSLY, always be considerate. I'm just saying that a spoiler, as you call it, should not ruin things for you. Just accept it as a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things and move on with your life. No one was hurt. There's virtually unlimited works out there. You're not going to be happy if you let a spoiler upset you everytime it happens.

The guy the op describes is obviously a fuckweed, if that helps you at all.
Certain spoilers WILL ruin something for me, because certain plot points and reveals being seen without them are crucial to the impact they were intended to have.

There is no "should" here, aside from the fact you should be able to understand where people are coming from. Your call for people to just "move on" is pretty condescending...

It's cool if it doesn't affect you, but it really is not hard to understand.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Certain spoilers WILL ruin something for me, because certain plot points and reveals being seen without them are crucial to the impact they were intended to have.

There is no "should" here, aside from the fact you should be able to understand where people are coming from. Your call for people to just "move on" is pretty condescending...

It's cool if it doesn't affect you, but it really is not hard to understand.
I mean, it sounds like your priorities are fucked. Move on is the appropriate phrase.

It isn't hurting anyone.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
More condescending nonsense then?

No one is saying it ruined their lives, you're the one who really needs some perspective here lol.
Hmmmm. Why do you say that? My perspective is pretty straightforward. Don't be a dick and talk about endings or twists or whatever with no consideration. But also don't get upset if something happens on accident, it ain't gonna kill you to know some random thing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Conversations about spoiling things for people always confuse me because you literally lose NOTHING if you don't spoil a thing for somebody.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I find myself caring less and less if I get spoiled or not so I guess I'd be put into of the camp of, "I really don't care. Just tell me."

That said, be mindful of people and ask them if it is okay to tell them. It isn't that hard.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm. Why do you say that? My perspective is pretty straightforward. Don't be a dick and talk about endings or twists or whatever with no consideration. But also don't get upset if something happens on accident, it ain't gonna kill you to know some random thing.
Read those posts back and have a think, Twig, I'm not saying what I am for no reason.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
How do you know you want to watch something if you don't even know the plot first?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just got spoiled on TLOU2 by reading Laura Bailey's tweet (she did a bad job at censoring some words).
see, this is kind of what I mean in my posts on page one. I know the tweet you're talking about, and the only way you spoiled yourself on this would be by zooming in on that photo and looking at the little bits of the words that weren't blacked out. You 100% did that to yourself lol. Don't jump into a pool so you can complain that your clothes are wet

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
It is the malicious intent behind a willful spoiler that is most rage inducing. The goal of purposeful spoilage is to suck out the joy or any type of emotion one would get from whatever the spoiler is. The whole point of art is to illicit emotion and feelings. So spoiling is deprivation of humanity and it's an act of mental violence in a way.

lol im against spoilers but ya'll are gettin crazy

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How do you know you want to watch something if you don't even know the plot first?

I can't tell if you're joking? There are tons of films I've seen without knowing a single thing about them beforehand. For instance, when I sat in the theater to watch Parasite I didn't even know what genre it was. And it was a much better experience for it.

There are many reasons to watch/play/read something without needing to get into the details: the author, the director, recommendations from friends, the general tone you perceive from others ("it's gritty", "it was deam-like"), and many more.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I can't tell if you're joking? There are tons of films I've seen without knowing a single thing about them beforehand. For instance, when I sat in the theater to watch Parasite I didn't even know what genre it was. And it was a much better experience for it.

There are many reasons to watch/play/read something without needing to get into the details: the author, the director, recommendations from friends, the general tone you perceive from others ("it's gritty", "it was dream-like"), and many more.
I guess all you spoiler people don't also have things you avoid. I'm definitely going to read a detailed summary before even looking at something called "Parasite." I'm just not that trusting.

Here's a recommendation for you: Mainland China Drama, Joy of Life. It's my favorite show. What should I say about it? "It's my favorite show. I like it better than other shows."

Last edited:

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Spoiling shit for someone else is the weirdest fetish some people seem to have.
Knowing that someone experienced the same stuff as you did and then talking about it is a lot more rewarding.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
see, this is kind of what I mean in my posts on page one. I know the tweet you're talking about, and the only way you spoiled yourself on this would be by zooming in on that photo and looking at the little bits of the words that weren't blacked out. You 100% did that to yourself lol. Don't jump into a pool so you can complain that your clothes are wet
Maybe on a phone, but it is pretty obvious which letter she didn't block in the second message and the name isn't that long. I didn't even had to open the image she posted.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
You really shouldn't spoil things because that's just a dick move. It's you trying to one up people. Don't be that person.

But also you shouldn't be a complete spoilerphobe because the experience is not tarnished just because you know what will happen. A good story is a good story, and if a spoiler can take the enjoyment out of the story then I would question if the story is actually good. Hearing about it and actually experiencing the journey are 2 wildly different things. Hearing about the end of Toy Story 3 will not remove (or give) the emotion I will feel when I actually watch it.

I haven't seen Parasite and I have avoided spoilers (because people say to), but reading them now won't ruin the movie for me. Why should it?

Why do people rewatch/reread/replay media?

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
The only spoilers i hate people complaining about are "press conference/game announcement spoilers" like advertisements and PR isn't a spoiler.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Real question, has anyone bothered to talk to this dude? Like just tell him to be more mindful of spoilers and maybe think before he reveals something?

I find spoiler phobes to be worse but oh well
Though I still think those who spoil purposefully and will ill-intent worse, this group of people can be tedious and aggravating. I have several friends like this and it's like walking on fucking eggshells talking about stuff they haven't played, but are interested in. I was yelled at for saying there was no national dex in Pokemon Sun and Moon, something that, I guess, has, "always been a major reveal in the game".

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I remember an underclassman of a couple years was speaking to me all excited. I was in the last year of highschool at the time, he was in the second.
We read of mice and men in grade 9 over here, solid book with an ending that builds up throughout.

This dude comes up to me, all giddy, and goes "Hey, I just went to a bunch of new grade 9s, saw they were reading mice and men, and said:
I'm not gonna tell you guys anything. All I'll say is that the book ends with George, Lenny, and a gun.

And he was telling me like I'd be proud of him or something. Like great job, you made reading, something numerous high schoolers have trouble sticking with, even worse. Hope you're happy.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Spoiling shit for someone else is the weirdest fetish some people seem to have.
Knowing that someone experienced the same stuff as you did and then talking about it is a lot more rewarding.

It's essentially sadism, as they get a kick out of making others miserable. Not to mention, that they had the chance to experience the story without spoilers, yet they don't want to allow others the same thrill. I bet many of them wouldn't take it lightly, if something important to them was spoiled willfully.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I don't massively care about spoilers in general, I also don't spoil things for people. I would just encourage everyone who is super spoiler averse to not give up on the actual experience of it. If the unfortunate happens, maybe you can take it as an opportunity to approach the material from a different perspective. Look out for details, concentrate on how well it is set up. It's certainly a different experience than the intended surprise would be, but it doesn't have to be a worse one. If the material is good there's a good chance you can still be invested in it and enjoy it for its craft. I just see way too many takes that being spoiled means the experience is now utterly pointless and in a world where getting spoiled can happen... I don't know if that's the most healthy attitude. It certainly can't hurt to try keeping an open mind and approaching something negative with a positive attitude.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Good word of mouth, genre, production teams behind previous things I've seen/played are making it, people/actors involved that I respect or enjoy. There are many factors outside of plot that can inspire and entice me to watch things.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's so crazy to me that this is a thread. If you want to talk about a game in a way that might contain spoilers, make a thread with spoilers in the name and go to town. You probably won't need to though because there's probably already one. If you want to discuss something in a different thread because it's relevant but it might spoil someone, spoil tag it with a brief description.

I just don't understand how any of that is difficult enough that people have to be contrarian about it and talk like it's such a huge hassle to avoid spoiling others.

And obviously age of the media has absolutely nothing to do with it. Exceptions for plot points that become cultural touchstones like FF7 or what have you. No reason to not take 2 seconds not to spoil someone on Kotor just because you've had two decades to play it, spoiler alert: some people were not born when you were born.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I guess all you spoiler people don't also have things you avoid. I'm definitely going to read a detailed summary before even looking at something called "Parasite." I'm just not that trusting.

Here's a recommendation for you: Mainland China Drama, Joy of Life. It's my favorite show. What should I say about it? "It's my favorite show. I like it better than other shows."

There are loads of things you can get into before you start talking about minutiae of plot. "I liked this show because the pacing was extremely on point, the characters were very well realized, the music was deliciously ominous"... and so on and so forth. I just don't subscribe to your approach at all. The one time where I think your approach really applies is if you have triggers that are absolute non starters. For some of my friends, having subject matter of harsh violence against women is a trigger and they would like to know that before starting an experience somewhere.

But yes, if you were a good friend of mine and you said "you should watch this. I think you'd like it. It's one of my favorite shows"... then yeah I'd highly consider watching it. That's one of the best parts of having friends or other people's views on media around you - it makes for easy curation, especially if you often have overlap in taste. Stuff I play/watch/read is often from the recommendations from friends, and very often I'm going in blind.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The concept of spoilers does not exist in many ppl minds. When i was a kid, me and my friends all shared with eachother the best movie parts even if others didnt saw the movie, it was a way to make them go see the movie cuz it had all this cool things on it. Today those things would be considered spoilers.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I have a friend who will casually spoil things in the most frustrating roundabout way. It's frustrating precisely because I know he's not trying to spoil it, but has this innate talent for saying things that lead you to draw a conclusion that's inevitably a spoiler.

Recently, with TLOU2 I got roped into some spat between him (Friend A) and another mutual friend (Friend B) on Facebook, which I didn't see since I'm not on the platform. Friend B is complaining about a joke that's made during incidental dialogue between Ellie and one of her friends during the game and includes a link to the moment. I don't click the link in the screenshot of the complaint that Friend A sends me, and just sorta say "What's the joke in the video link?" since I'm also a little wary of spoilers.

Instead of summarizing it, he re-sends the link as text, I click on the link, and the video includes dialogue that
refers to Joel in the past tense, clearly suggesting that he's died in the game. I now know this happens fairly on in the game, but still.
So, great, that aspect is now spoiled. Or in movies, he won't necessarily say "X character dies," but things that would lead you to correctly assume they die.

Funny enough, with TLoU2, I never had fears about the internet or Era spoiling it for me. My fear was this specific friend indirectly spoiling some aspect of it, which is precisely what happened. Aaaaand that's now why I'm playing the game much earlier than I planned to. :\

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I took my 2 sons to Endgame and as walking in the theater my older told younger Ironman dies at the end. I was livid with him. I guess one of his friends spoiled it for him so now he was doing same to lil bro. I had already seen it. I wanted to take him home and just take his brother but we were meeting my buddy and there wasn't time. I ended up taking videogames away from him for 2 weeks as his punishment. Thinking back, should have been longer.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020

there's a lot you can say about a game or series that doesn't actually qualify as proper spoilers that folks would mind. like for example you can talk about everything surrounding a game or the trappings it follows without ever delving into the plot itself

i made this whole post recommending an unfinished game to folks here and dozens were instantly convinced despite that i only showed a couple of vague pictures and overview of the kind of elements it had, mostly just aiming at selling its quality.