• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a Hollywood-esque full circle story. I can't even believe it.

Long story short -- I was gaslighted and micro-managed to death by my ex-boss, creating toxicity and no-win situations on a daily basis. This person reveled in pushing paper around and insisted on prolonged review cycles that resulted in hours of work on tasks that should have taken 30 minutes at most, which weren't even sensitive in nature. Plus 2-3h worth of touchpoints every week, on TOP of regular meetings.

My contract was ended early with no notice, and I've since learned the ex-boss took all functions over to do it themselves and is stretched super thin now. No hire to fill my role.

An exec in one of my (internal) client divisions was upset at the news, and set out to recruit me for a position they'd been wanting to create for awhile, embedded within their own dept. My old team's support wasn't cutting it anymore (and I totally get why; we had bizarre, ambiguous rules about the type of support we'd render, rules I tried to fight against in my clients' interest, which I'm sure is part of the reason I bristled with my ex-boss. It didn't help that the rules CHANGED every day, without exaggeration.)

The mandate in the new role is huge, exciting and challenging, and will put me in an autonomous leadership position that effectively sits on the same level as the ex-boss.

Better still, it's a permanent role this time, with better pay and benefits, and a far better, more senior leader who doesn't have the intent or time to micromanage or sweat the small shit (based on my research and relationships with the team I'll be joining). It's almost too good to be true.

I'm sharing because:

1. Era's been my online fam for a bit and I'm so filled with joy and want to share.
2. It's a hilarious, karmic 180, and I'd love to hear your similar stories if you have 'em.
3. I'd love your advice about what it's like to return to a former employer, and/or work with a former terrible boss again, if you have experience with this. I'm invested with new authority and won't be reporting to the ex-boss at all anymore (thank goodness) but I'll definitely have to work with them on occasion.

Thanks for listening and sharing!

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Long story short -- I was gaslighted and micro-managed to death by my ex-boss, creating toxicity and no-win situations on a daily basis. This person reveled in pushing paper around and insisted on prolonged review cycles that resulted in hours of work on refining three-line emails that weren't even sensitive in nature.
This sound all too familiar to me at work right now -_-

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
That must feel good to know you're coming back with a better position and more freedom to do what you wanted to do from the get go.

Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome news. I had a similar experience back in one of my first jobs out of college. I hate bosses that can't and won't let you do your job.

Good luck

Nov 2, 2017
Congrats on the opportunity!

I've gone back to a job I've been laid off from before and it's not something I would do again. Unlike your story, one of the reasons I came back was because of my ex-boss. It was more so the company overall.

There were some changes made in the organization since the termination that I wasn't a fan of. And during that time, my interests changed, and they didn't really align with what the company was doing at the time.

And to add insult to injury, I heard the CEO was "grumpy" because I left and came back making $30,000 more than when I was there originally.

Sometimes it's best to just let stuff like that end. But I'm glad it worked out for you!

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
3. I'd love your advice about what it's like to return to a former employer, and/or work with a former terrible boss again, if you have experience with this. I'm invested with new authority and won't be reporting to the ex-boss at all anymore (thank goodness) but I'll definitely have to work with them on occasion.

Thanks for listening and sharing!
First, congrats on the turnabout! Sounds like a really cool gig!

Regarding the quoted point:
Advice: Don't be a dick. Whatever happened in the past is done. The ex-boss can't power trip unless they have the ear of your higher up, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Keep any interactions short and sweet and 100% focused on accomplishing whatever task that brought you together.

I've had something like this happen on two separate occasions and in both cases the ex-boss's rep was well known by my new group. In the most recent iteration my performance review went from "barely passable" to "I wish we had a better way to reward you" in one year just by changing who I was working with/under.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Advice: Pretend like it never happened and kill them with kindness and success. The less that person perceives that they made an impact on you, the better.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats OP! That's pretty exciting, and given the funny circumstances, you have reason to smile a little bit wider when you walk in on that first day back lol

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
That's awesome, OP! I'm so glad you had someone above this person who recognized your worth!

Advice: Pretend like it never happened and kill them with kindness and success. The less that person perceives that they made an impact on you, the better.

^^^^ This is absolutely the way to go forward. You'll cover your butt and it'll infuriate them!

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Got canned unfairly from a role (you can find my thread on it) - started my own company providing consulting services and now make twice as much as what I did in that previous role (and more than what the person who forced me out makes per year)

Oct 27, 2017
"You didn't fool me then, and you don't fool me now" would be so cathartic to say to them, but don't do it. Just do your job well. Congrats!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
#1 -- Congrats on the new role, that's great.
#2 -- Poop on this guy's desk on day 1.

BUt more seriously just be ulttttra professional and be everything this guy isn't, make him look like a piece of shit.

Then poop on his desk.

OP
OP
Magnus

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
All the advice is very sound, and something I've given a great deal of thought about. I can't help but feel sheer glee at how much their head is gonna spin when they see that this role was created, and how much further it'll spin when they see who's been hired to fill it.

But I'm keeping that to myself, for sure. I absolutely intend to be professional and laser-focused on the work. The high road is the way.

I know that my return and new role will create some strange and frustrating politics for the old team though. I need to ensure that doesn't weigh on me and become my issue. I'm focused on doing right by my new leader who's placed a lot of (well-earned) faith in me.

Thanks all!

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've a slight twist on that one. I had a job where I was doing awesome until a new manager came in. Constant friction and I left on bad terms after a year or so. The company went under about a year after.

Moved to a much bigger company and have moved up in the ranks over the last decade. Happened to be visiting another site and my ex-boss is working for us now in a much lower position. Living well is the best revenge, etc.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
OP, I know the first thing you want is revenge...but let things go. Don't try to get the boss fired in retaliation, you're better than that.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I wish that could happen with me and my old boss. Revel in your situation doubly for me and everyone else who had to deal with bad bosses.

Edit: I don't think it's about destroying people, it's about being around the same person who once held power over you in a powerless position equal to yourself. It's the dream of many who suffer at the hands of someone stronger than them.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
High road, sure, but -anything- not completely above board that happens, paper trail it.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Congratulations, always take the high ground.

be kind, be great

they will hate it !

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Nice, congrats! Now shine on him/her. But in a nice way.

I don't have any similar stories but I do know the feeling of being a fellow, then working on a time-limited contract, and making the move to employee with full benefits. The uncertainty is it's own kind of torture.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Congrats on the opportunity!

I've gone back to a job I've been laid off from before and it's not something I would do again. Unlike your story, one of the reasons I came back was because of my ex-boss. It was more so the company overall.

There were some changes made in the organization since the termination that I wasn't a fan of. And during that time, my interests changed, and they didn't really align with what the company was doing at the time.

And to add insult to injury, I heard the CEO was "grumpy" because I left and came back making $30,000 more than when I was there originally.

Sometimes it's best to just let stuff like that end. But I'm glad it worked out for you!

Had to reply- it's long been a pet peeve of mine: heads of companies griping about the money being made by the people who work under them. Is there anything more salty and less productive?

I wonder how much more the CEO made than you, and what types of escalators they had in their contract.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Congrats on the better role!

I actually kind of had the opposite happen: I was at a company working on a project that only that company had, and I was offered a substantial bump from a competitor to go there instead and help build a competing project which I accepted. I also accepted the job with the understanding that I'd be growing into a leadership role on the team, getting to design things and avoid some mistakes of my older company

First week at my new company went well, I worked with someone who had been trying to replicate what we were doing with no luck and I started building out what they were missing.

Week 2 came and there was a company announcement that my new company was buying my old company. This caused what I was working on to go into a bit of a holding pattern, and then I was asked what I thought of my old team, which I gave a two page document on to my then boss, highlighting strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and outlining things that had to change with the old team in order for it to be successful.

Week after that I found out that my ideas were being scrapped and I was going back to my old team in my old role (I got to keep my pay). It was a bit surreal to go back to my old desk about a month and a half after I had left it.

I stayed for about a year before I had enough of people not knowing what they were doing and left for something much better. Strangest boomerang timing I could ever imagine.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Don't be a jerk to your ex-boss of course but if I were in your shoes, every so often I would take off my shirt and write the words "Soy Bomb" on my chest and do an odd, sarcastic little artsy dance by his desk for a few min without saying anything just so he knows what's up.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you shake your ex-boss's hand, pat him on the back, give him a big smile and say you couldn't have gotten there without him.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Try to rise above it and just go with this attitude... it will serve you in the long run. And then in quiet moments, by yourself... revel.
jf37w5kdf4f01.jpg

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome news. I had a similar experience back in one of my first jobs out of college. I hate bosses that can't and won't let you do your job.

Good luck
Yeah I had one like that. NDA covers most all the details of who where and when. Long story short was I was literally being setup by my peer as an easy way for them to try and shuffle tasks they'd botched already in an effort to hide mistakes of their own. Didnt work, outgrew em and they got caught and in deep shit for both their fuckups and the cover up attempt and for literally doin fuck all as a peer.

I make twice what I did there now after bein headhunted by another company and last I heard the dude hadn't been kept or employed after that bullshit in some time.

Fuck "fake it till they make it" folks and all their games they play at other people's expense to stay where theyre at.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I'll leave some words to live by
"torture his body so that his soul learns to be humble." Paulo Obdelis
gg on your new role

Last edited:

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Considering OP already said they plan to take the high road, I don't think we need the continuous "don't try to screw over the ex-boss let it go OMG" posts anymore.

Congrats and I hope you do fantastic in your new role.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I worked at a company that fired my entire department because of drama from new management. My team and I were rehired a week later at triple what we were making and hourly instead of salary. Because we were officially contractors we now could ignore all the drama we could not Ignore before and we were given fat bonuses in stock when the company went public. It was glorious.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Congrats. Basically don't hold any grudges, you do your own thing and keep all interactions to a professional level. Focus on your own career growth.